If There's an Effective C19 vaccine, will Cruise Lines Require It

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

And they should be suing the Japanese, US and Australian bureaucrats who kept everyone confined in close proximity on the ships.

That list isn’t long enough of who could be sued. 

There are some that would sign waivers to sail, waiving liability, and then sue after they get it. A sue happy society.  Lawyers become politicians across the political spectrum, it is no wonder why things are messed up nowadays. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

8 hours ago, SRF said:

The ONLY vaccination I have had to have proof of is Yellow Fever.  Now, I have only been to 150 different countries, so maybe I have missed a place that did.

What vaccinations have you been REQUIRED to have?  And where?

The things on the list you linked to are RECOMMENDED.

Actually that list shows quite a few countries where a vaccination is required.  

For Antigua & Barbuda it has the following:  Yellow fever (2014) Country requirement: a yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for travellers over 1 year of age arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission.

This is not a recommendation. It's a requirement if travelling from a country with a risk of yellow fever transmission.

Covid-19 is a Global Pandemic.  The risk of transmission is worldwide.  So if countries have vaccine requirements for yellow fever, I would several countries will require a covid-19 vaccine for travellers.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SRF said:

The ONLY vaccination I have had to have proof of is Yellow Fever.  Now, I have only been to 150 different countries, so maybe I have missed a place that did.

What vaccinations have you been REQUIRED to have?  And where?

You must be younger than I am. Documented Smallpox (re)vaccination within 3 years was required for traveling outside North America (and for return to the US) until smallpox was eradicated in the 1970s. My International Vaccination Certificate dates from the 1960s. India required Polio Vaccination coming from Pakistan in the 1990s. Needless to say I have several documented Yellow Fever vaccinations, required (among others) by South Africa for arrivals from most of Central Africa. 

8 hours ago, fandash said:

my family and i would not get the vacination ... something that has not been tested or had years to see if any side effects....

if that means we cant cruise then so be it

never will my family or I get a vacination just to go cruising and I seriously dont believe ANY cruise line will ask that to be a mandatory condition

Um, it is being tested right now.  It also is using data and research from SARs from several years back.  I do think that countries will require it so I guess you won't cruise.  I will get the vaccine.   I think some need to do some actual research and quit regurgitating unsubstantiated crap they've heard.  I'll be in line as soon as it's available. I get the flu shot every year and I got the shingles shot this past year.  Even though I had a reaction to both shingles shots, it was nothing compared to the shingles.  

• Like 3

On 7/16/2020 at 6:30 PM, tserface said:

I can't imagine anyone wanting to board a cruise ship without that kind of protection anyway

Me......ME.......MEEEEEEEE!

In a heart beat. If it kills me at least I die happy instead sitting in my bed too scared to stick my nose out of my front door.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Agree completely. Some of the talk to the contrary smacks a bit of the anti-masking movement that is going around here in the US. 

So in otherwords, anyone who disagrees with your OPINION is a conspiracy theorist, right?

On 7/16/2020 at 7:47 PM, lovemylab said:

I think they will.  Simply because I think the ports they're docking in will require it.

Create a cruise that just goes to the private islands. Would think that would be a great cruise.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:13 PM, John&LaLa said:

Did the Dr note thing ever get a chsnce to take affect? Or did everything shut down prior?

I don't think it was in effect when we left Ft Lauderdale on March 1

I e-mailed my brother about it on March 17 and commented there were two threads about it. I must have searched wrong, because I could not find the threads. 

You were lucky enough to have a normal cruise before this all hit cruising. 

1 minute ago, KansasK said:

I e-mailed my brother about it on March 17 and commented there were two threads about it. I must have searched wrong, because I could not find the threads. 

You were lucky enough to have a normal cruise before this all hit cruising. 

Ours was hardly normal😉

The departure sure wasn't. 

19 hours ago, fandash said:

my family and i would not get the vacination ... something that has not been tested or had years to see if any side effects....

if that means we cant cruise then so be it

never will my family or I get a vacination just to go cruising and I seriously dont believe ANY cruise line will ask that to be a mandatory condition

In our capitalist society you will be able to buy fake vaccination papers on the black market.  May cost a few extra dollars to get on a ship.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BND said:

Um, it is being tested right now.  It also is using data and research from SARs from several years back.  I do think that countries will require it so I guess you won't cruise.  I will get the vaccine.   I think some need to do some actual research and quit regurgitating unsubstantiated crap they've heard.  I'll be in line as soon as it's available. I get the flu shot every year and I got the shingles shot this past year.  Even though I had a reaction to both shingles shots, it was nothing compared to the shingles.  

yep i know it is being tested but my opinion is that noone would know side effects so my family and i chose not to get it

but i understand there will be loads that will do it

but again as i posted i dont think cruise lines will ask that it be mandatory anyway

1 hour ago, fandash03 said:

yep i know it is being tested but my opinion is that noone would know side effects so my family and i chose not to get it

but again as i posted i dont think cruise lines will ask that it be mandatory anyway

That's the whole point of testing - to determine if it's effective w/o side effects.  Concerning possible long term side effects, we really don't have 6 or 7 years to study that, do we? Besides, we keep hearing about possible long term side effects from the virus even if a person recovers - so which is worse?  Anything is possible, but I'm 70 and want to start living my life normally again just as soon as a vaccine is available.  I'll be first in line and I'll worry about 10 years from now at that time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mek said:

That's the whole point of testing - to determine if it's effective w/o side effects.  Concerning possible long term side effects, we really don't have 6 or 7 years to study that, do we? Besides, we keep hearing about possible long term side effects from the virus even if a person recovers - so which is worse?  Anything is possible, but I'm 70 and want to start living my life normally again just as soon as a vaccine is available.  I'll be first in line and I'll worry about 10 years from now at that time.

Very valid point. I will be 60 in December and am always hesitant when new drugs or vaccines come out. I'm sure that the essential workers and high risk patients will be the first to receive the vaccine as there may be a limited supply upon release.  DW works as an administrator in a hospital. They always require her to have a flu shot so I'm sure this will also be required.   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hloakes said:

1. In 2011, the Supreme Court of the U.S. ruled drug makers cannot be sued for side effects from vaccines. How do you trust an industry that cannot be held responsible for their product?

2. The flu kills hundreds of thousands every year but we have not gone into this hysteria over it. I have never had a flu shot and don't plan to in the future. I am not saying that is the right decision for anyone else but I don't want to be pushed into it either.

3. Does a cruise company have the right to require a vaccine? Sure they do, but I have the right not to give them any of my money.

4. If it is not required by the cruise company but a port of call requires it, I will not get off there.I have cruised enough that I am not anxious to get off anymore. If it was not for my wife, I would probably stay on the ship more.  

5. Nor will I cruise if a mask is required. I find it difficult to breath and most of the masks I see and they way they are worn are ineffective anyway.

lol are you for real? Extra bit of crazy here

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fandash03 said:

but i understand there will be loads that will do it but again as i posted i dont think cruise lines will ask that it be mandatory anyway

The point being is that the "normal" testing time for a vaccine is a decade or more (10 years, not 10 months). Any medicine, in a phase 3 trial should be done over a worldwide population of test subjects across a wide demographic with a wide variety of underlying conditions to ensure that the medicine is effective and safe. Not a young, healthy test population that would probably survive side effects or incidental corona infections. Also, noting that the government would consider a vaccine "effective" if it demonstrated antibodies in 50% of the test subjects. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, nelblu said:

2 part question:

1.  As per topic, will RCL make the C19 vaccine mandatory, and

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

1.  If it is made mandatory in order to cruise, I will get it.

2. Same answer as 1. 

• Like 1

By the time any vaccine is released to the general public the possible side effects will be known.

As for the cruise lines making it mandatory they might as a business decision or vaccination could be required by the ports. I don’t see how anyone could be positive passengers won’t have to be vaccinated to board a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cruise lines per se won't have to have a vaccine policy all it take is a country on the itinerary to have a vaccination policy.  Then the cruise line will check if you have documentation upon check-in.  If you don't the documentation you will be denied boarding.  They can point to the country's regulation for this.  Doesn't matter if you promise not to get off at that port or not.

As to sailing just to private islands outside of Labadee most if not all private islands are in the Bahamas.  So if the Bahamas enact a vaccination policy, if would affect the private islands.

Someone ask about where are you currently required to have vaccinations.  Try enrolling in school.  I am in my mid 50s and when my parents enrolled me in school all those years ago, they had to show proof that I had all of my shots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mek said:

it take years and years to determine side effects so to "just get on cruise"  is not something of importance to me. i agree about wanting to life life normally and i am ...as much as can at present but no thanks for vaccine for me

I understand that there are drugs that during testing or after approval are found to cause long term issues, but those drugs are taken daily over a long period of time.  For all you people concerned about long term effects of a vaccine, can you tell me any drug, vaccine that causes long term issues, but is only taken one or 2 doses?  If there are side effects, I think they will be seen by the 30,000 people in the trial. 

it take years and years to determine side effects so to "just get on cruise"  is not something of importance to me. i agree about wanting to life life normally and i am ...as much as can at present but no thanks for vaccine for me

Seems misplaced that you would rather take the chance of getting Covid over some minor side effects of a vaccine. Probably for the best that cruises are not of importance to you. A vaccine will be the best chance for living normally including traveling again although what is normal will certainly be changed even with a vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, nelblu said:

2 part question:

1.  As per topic, will RCL make the C19 vaccine mandatory, and

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

Q1:  Yes, I think this is what we’re seeing now with some businesses (e.g., Walmart, Costco etc.) requiring customers to wear masks when shopping.  This is their right as a business.  It is also smart business, as customers will be secure in their shopping as these companies are taking their safety (and the employees) into consideration.  I definitely believe that cruiselines will adopt this approach to vaccines when an effective one becomes available.  For RCL to get the business back up and running, they will need to provide confidence to passengers (and crew members) that this is again a safe way to travel.  Mandatory vaccines would do this.  Airlines will do this too.

Q2: Yes, I and my family will take a vaccine when one is shown to be effective.  We want a “normal” life back.  😊

Let's also hope and pray that when an effective vaccine is available that is accessible for everyone in the world.  Let's hope the discoverer is like Jonas Salk who when asked by Ed Murrow "who owns this patent" replied, "Well, the people I would say.  There is no patent.  Could you patent the sun."

Edited by Airbear232
  • Like 3

On 7/17/2020 at 8:34 AM, hloakes said:

1. In 2011, the Supreme Court of the U.S. ruled drug makers cannot be sued for side effects from vaccines. How do you trust an industry that cannot be held responsible for their product?

2. The flu kills hundreds of thousands every year but we have not gone into this hysteria over it. I have never had a flu shot and don't plan to in the future. I am not saying that is the right decision for anyone else but I don't want to be pushed into it either.

3. Does a cruise company have the right to require a vaccine? Sure they do, but I have the right not to give them any of my money.

4. If it is not required by the cruise company but a port of call requires it, I will not get off there.I have cruised enough that I am not anxious to get off anymore. If it was not for my wife, I would probably stay on the ship more.  

5. Nor will I cruise if a mask is required. I find it difficult to breath and most of the masks I see and they way they are worn are ineffective anyway.

Just a quick fact check on #2. 

Per the CDC, in 2019 in the US, deaths attributed to the flu were 34,200. 

Covid deaths in the past 5 months are 141,000, or 28,200 per month, with first US documented death around Feb. 17th (originally thought 2/28 but on further research, now believed to be 2/27, although the Bay area may have had cases a week previous to the Seattle outbreak.)

Covid is killing as many people every 5 weeks as the flu did in an entire year.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3