Is the specialty dining worth an extra $179 pp on Symphony?

6 minutes ago, Oxo said:

FOR UDP, lunch part of pkg if a sea day. Not open on port days.

Yes as I said restaurants that open at 1 or 2 on port days are definitely included, we’ve eaten at those that I listed many times on port days.  If the restaurant is open it is included regardless of port or sea day. IME. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes as I said restaurants that open at 1 or 2 on port days are definitely included, we’ve eaten at those that I listed many times on port days.  If the restaurant is open it is included regardless of port or sea day. IME. 

You may be right. However,  when we booked the pkg was specific, Sea Days only. You lucked out. 

Like they say in Jamaica, 'poo poo happens! ' 

On the Symphony SRs were not open on port days just like MDR.

Stay Safe! 

6 minutes ago, Oxo said:

You may be right. However,  when we booked the pkg was specific, Sea Days only. You lucked out. 

Like they say in Jamaica, 'poo poo happens! ' 

On the Symphony SRs were not open on port days just like MDR.

Stay Safe! 

What the description says and what happens on board are two entirely different things. 

not luck as it’s been different ships, different dates and many others on here reported the same thing. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What the description says and what happens on board are two entirely different things. 

not luck as it’s been different ships, different dates and many others on here reported the same thing. 

I can only state what I experienced. I was not on your cruise and I assume you were not on mine. So........

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

I can only state what I experienced. I was not on your cruise and I assume you were not on mine. So........

Did you try Playmakers or a Johnny Rockets?  On Symphony those would be the two restaurants that would open earl6 afternoon on port days.  It’s only the casusl restaurants not Chops or Jamies 

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Did you try Playmakers or a Johnny Rockets?  On Symphony those would be the two restaurants that would open earl6 afternoon on port days.  It’s only the casusl restaurants not Chops or Jamies 

Ok, no we don't go to JR unless it is breakfast. Didn't go to Playmakers either. Didn't even think of those two. I was only thinking of SRs other than those two. 

Thanks for the info. 

Stay Safe! 

Just now, Oxo said:

Ok, no we don't go to JR unless it is breakfast. Didn't go to Playmakers either. Didn't even think of those two. I was only thinking of SRs other than those two. 

Thanks for the info. 

Stay Safe! 

In my original post on this I did state it was for Playmakers, Sabor, Portside BBQ and Johnny Rockets.  While is not Chops or Jamie's I prefer these casual places for lunch over the full specialty restaurants especially since I’ll be eating in those in the evening.  Portside on Oasis is fantastic, can’t wait till they add it to a few more ships. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In my original post on this I did state it was for Playmakers, Sabor, Portside BBQ and Johnny Rockets.  While is not Chops or Jamie's I prefer these casual places for lunch over the full specialty restaurants especially since I’ll be eating in those in the evening.  Portside on Oasis is fantastic, can’t wait till they add it to a few more ships. 

Thanks for your accurate synopsis of Restaurants and times open for UDP.

M8

• Like 1

Yes!  We loved it - especially Wonderland and the Hibachi restaurant.  We are hooked (No pun intended but we went there twice - very good seafood!) and will treat ourselves on any future cruises.  My only suggestion - book the restaurants as soon as you arrive on the ship - they fill up quick.

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually, lunch is included if the restaurant is open.  Playmakers, Sabor, Portside BBQ open early afternoon on lots of the port days.  Easy to go there for a late lunch especially if you have a late dinner. 

Yes, and ever-so-often, a specialty will be open even when the ship is in port.  Last year on NAV we were able to eat at Izumi when she was in Nassau.  It is rare, but it does happen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I am concerned that once they begin cruising again, the occupancy limits for the SR are going to be reduced, thereby making it harder to get reservations.  It is just something to think about.

Hopefully they reduce the number of dining packages they sell accordingly. 

• Like 1

We have had the UDP on our last several cruises.  We totally enjoy going to the different restaurants instead of eating in the MDR where I, especially, feel the food sounds far better than it tastes.

I don't think you will have the problem that we did in that even without eating breakfast, on sea days, having lunch about Noon and dinner at 7 or so, we weren't hungry for dinner.  We didn't eat huge lunches, but even with a burger or salad with steak, we were still full at dinner.  After a day or two, we decided to forego the lunch and have a light breakfast and then dinner.

In the several times we have had the package, we only went to Wonderland once and it was definitely a one and done for us.  I think though, the problem was mostly our fault as I am highly allergic to shrimp and on that cruise I was with my sister and she eats no seafood.  Our choices then became somewhat limited.

The eggs served made me think of eggs being cooked in burning grass.  One taste was enough.  I did enjoy the veggies in the guacamole and the tomato water.  Our entree of choice that night was chicken as we had had steak several nights on that cruise.  The chicken looked absolutely perfect and when I took a piece, it was as dry and tasteless as it could be. So much for having an entree.

The one really good thing was the dessert.  I'm not much of a dessert person, but having read so many times how good the world dessert was, I tried it and loved it.

Another problem with Wonderland was that it was dark in the restaurant and hard to read the menu after using the special brush.  We opted not to use our flashlights on our phones as others at the table next to us did.  Our waiter was very hard to understand because he spoke very quickly.

All the other restaurants we went to were great, and I am sure we are part of the small few who didn't like Wonderland.  I would consider going there for dessert only, but that'd be it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hopefully they reduce the number of dining packages they sell accordingly. 

I told Dan maybe now they won't put someone right next to us in Chops in those bench seats against the wall😇

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I told Dan maybe now they won't put someone right next to us in Chops in those bench seats against the wall😇

Wife had the bench on the wall, I was across the table with a fantastic view of dirty, stacked dishes waiting to be picked up just outside the kitchen.  

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Is the $34 at the sushi restaurant per day or per visit or per cruise??

I bought the UDP. Because I tend to have dinner late (8pm or later), I kinda plan to have some sushi around 5pm as a sort of snack/appetizer between meals.