I knew Lift&Shift was too good to be true

Yeah, so the only replacement to my 7 night Independence of the Seas cruise (Coco Cay, St Thomas and St Martin) is a 5 night cruise on the Mariner (Labadee and Bahamas). Per RCI.

What a joke. That's definitely not an even exchange. The fair exchange would have been 7 nights on the Oasis at the same exact time a year from now, same itinerary and length of the cruise as Indy. But no, all they can do is 5 nights on the Mariner, NOT the same itinerary and it costs less right now than the Indy cruise.

I knew it was too good to be true - I am actually losing money on this cruise.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Did you talk to someone or did you put your information on the online form that gives you choices?  You can put in your reservation and look at choices without committing until the end.

https://cancellation.royalcaribbean.com/?brand=R&_ga=2.249747904.797154906.1595341209-1148717279.1453498073

I called them. I will use your link to see if there is anything better, thanks!

9 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Let us know!

so, I went to your link, and the Oasis sailing is on the menu to choose from, as are sailings on Harmony, Symphony and Allure during the same week. 

Only Oasis itinerary matches my current Indy cruise. I chose 3 itineraries as preferences and almost click ok, but then it occurred to me that I am also lifting and shifting my parents' sailing. What if they get approved for a different sailing? They cannot go without us. Should I simply indicate the Oasis sailing as a preference for both of us, and not bother with the 2 other options, out of fear that they may end up on a different cruise?

thanks!

P.S. I also have Kids Sail free promotion on Indy for Nov '20, but it doesn't apply to any of the Nov '21 cruises. If it makes a difference.

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

so, I went to your link, and the Oasis sailing is on the menu to choose from, as are sailings on Harmony, Symphony and Allure during the same week. 

Only Oasis itinerary matches my current Indy cruise. I chose 3 itineraries as preferences and almost click ok, but then it occurred to me that I am also lifting and shifting my parents' sailing. What if they get approved for a different sailing? They cannot go without us. Should I simply indicate the Oasis sailing as a preference for both of us, and not bother with the 2 other options, out of fear that they may end up on a different cruise?

thanks!

P.S. I also have Kids Sail free promotion on Indy for Nov '20, but it doesn't apply to any of the Nov '21 cruises. If it makes a difference.

Yes do not enter any alternate sailings.  Royal will assign your cabins which you can change by calling them

• Like 1

At this point, I would call back and talk to the rep with the knowledge of the sailings available and do both at the same time.  Not sure about the ksf promotion if it is price protected or not.  I have read that they are.

ALso make sure that they are "linked" in their system.

Edited by irishgal432
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, irishgal432 said:

At this point, I would call back and talk to the rep with the knowledge of the sailings available and do both at the same time.  Not sure about the ksf promotion if it is price protected or not.  I have read that they are.

ALso make sure that they are "linked" in their system.

they ARE linked in their system (I called about a month ago), thanks! RCI's main page says that the price AND/OR promotion would be protected. But I'll call them again, hoping I wouldn't get the same person.

My lift and shift worked perfectly but we went from Oasis Coco Cay to the same exact cruise just in August 2021 from Sept 2020. We owe 65 bucks which I don't get but 65 bucks is not a big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would call as it sounds like the first person you were speaking with provided wrong information.  If you think the information you are receiving is incorrect ask them to double check or speak to a supervisor. 

When I called to do mine, I was initially told that my 9 night Med cruise could not be shifted to a 9 night Greek Isles cruise as the "itinerary wasn't the same".  I referred to the Q&As on the website and asked that she double check.  A few minutes later she came back and said it could be done.   When you do get your invoice, double check that all prices are correct.  On mine I noticed the port charges were higher on my invoice compared to what the website was quoting.  

When I did my L&S, I got to choose what sailing to switch to (in my case there was 3 to choose from).  Royal didn't decide for me.  You should have no issues getting your parents cruise moved to the same one you will be on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

thanks!

I did a L&S of our January cruise on Oasis late last week and move over to Harmony for Jan of 22.  We had three staterooms, all linked.  I did use the link to put in which cruise we wanted from the drop down menu, we only chose ONE.  I repeated the process using each reservation number until I had chose the same cruise for all three of our bookings.  THEN I picked up the phone and called about two hours later.  The reps can totally see your request and therefore they know that the sailing you chose was an option.  I said I had called to make sure we could get the rooms all together like our original booking.  The rep was easily able to confirm that (FYI, I had done a mock booking for the cruise I had requested to be shifted to, so I had a list of open staterooms that would work for us).  You need to make sure you that you're asked for the exact same room category as you had on Indy.  They will protect the kids sail free as long as the child is still young enough to qualify by the time of the next sailing.  As others have mentioned, if some of your ports change, you may see a slight increase or decrease in port fees/taxes.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Yes, that's what I was told but it's the same ports. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png Oh well no biggie.

Port fees and taxes change all the time.  If you do a mock booking on a cruise you booked a while ago, there is an excellent chance that the fees on the new booking are different than what you have on your reservation.

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Port fees and taxes change all the time.  If you do a mock booking on a cruise you booked a while ago, there is an excellent chance that the fees on the new booking are different than what you have on your reservation.

Tom
Yeah that would he my guess also. With the virus i wouldn't be surprised the port fees and taxes go way up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Yes, that's what I was told but it's the same ports. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png Oh well no biggie.

I have noticed port fees and taxes went up from this year to next. Just because you have the same ports doesnt mean port charges wouldnt go up. I had some that went from say 97 to 122, pp 

New contracts. My ta said they may be a anticipating fewer onboard. $65 up pp? Mine have all gone up

• Like 2

So I just called to do a lift and shift from a 7 day western to a 7 day eastern almost exact same dates as this yrs but I was told I couldn't change itinerary had to western if that's what I was booked on. I don't like the western for next November. I thought it just had to be same length same area. Has anyone been able to switch to different directions?

2 minutes ago, cruisingagentone said:

So I just called to do a lift and shift from a 7 day western to a 7 day eastern almost exact same dates as this yrs but I was told I couldn't change itinerary had to western if that's what I was booked on. I don't like the western for next November. I thought it just had to be same length same area. Has anyone been able to switch to different directions?

Try checking online choices as above post said. Often there are more choices than the list the agents have you call and talk to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisingagentone said:

Like Firely said try checking on Royal's website.  There have been reports of people changing from Western to Eastern or vice versa

sooooo, I got disconnected from the nice agent who was still waiting for the approval. Called again, got yet another agent who told me she couldn't switch me to anything but the Mariner. Here we go again. I am just going to use the link above (Thank you, IrishGal!) to do the lift and shift. 🙂

• Like 1

Keep calling back until you get previous person or someone that's confers with Resolutions!                   Resolutions department is being very accommodating these days

Edited by ssb