Southampton or Le Havre?

2travelcats

Hello - I’m looking at Princess British Isles cruises and see we can board at either Southampton or Le Havre.  

Just wondering the pros and cons of getting to these ports from the airport as we will fly in from the USA.  

Looks like Le Havre is much farther from Paris than Southport from London.

We want to stay a couple days in the port city before the cruise so I don’t think a Princess transfer will work.

Thanks for your help and suggestions - 2travelcats

Princess has a pickup site in downtown London. I believe it is the Victoria Station (must be arranged ahead of time).

I would choose where you want to spend more time. I had stayed 3 nights in London before a cruise and was planning on spending time in Paris this year after a cruise. I would let that be the deciding factor.

If you book a Princess hotel - they do provide shuttles (from airport and to port). I didn't think the prices were that bad in either location.

Edited by Coral

I would definitely board in Southampton.  We have been on two cruises with LeHavre as a port but were not able to dock due to weather.  I can't imagine the difficulty of having to debark in an unexpected city - or meeting the ship in another port. I read (within the last year or so) on CC about a Princess ship that was unable to debark passengers in LeHavre.  There was no end of trouble since passengers had booked flights from Paris and ended up being disembarked in Southampton.

I agree with Coral that you can get a Princess transfer from London if needed.  But Southampton is a lovely city and also good to visit for a day or two if you go there early.

• Like 1

We had our British Isles cruise booked for THIS September.

I booked transfers through Princess from London to Southampton

and they were $69.00 per person. After much research, this was

agreeable for us.

You can fond TONS of info on the British Isles forum- transfers

are the main topic.

Since we have spent quite a bit of time in both London and Paris, I'd like to travel to the port on the day we arrive from the USA and stay there a few days before the cruise. 

Does Princess offer transfer prior to the day of embarkation?

Thanks again - 2travelcats

6 minutes ago, nini said:

We had our British Isles cruise booked for THIS September.

I booked transfers through Princess from London to Southampton

and they were $69.00 per person. After much research, this was

agreeable for us.

You can fond TONS of info on the British Isles forum- transfers

are the main topic.

When we cruised out of Southampton last year, we opted for a car service from the airport to the port. We spent one night prior to the cruise in Southampton.  As I recall, it wasn't a lot more than buying the transfers and it was great being met at the airport and driven down to Southampton in a very nice Mercedes. Worth the extra $$ to avoid the hassle.  

6 minutes ago, 2travelcats said:

Since we have spent quite a bit of time in both London and Paris, I'd like to travel to the port on the day we arrive from the USA and stay there a few days before the cruise. 

Does Princess offer transfer prior to the day of embarkation?

Thanks again - 2travelcats

No. There is plenty of transportation between London and Southampton.

Princess will not provide transport two or three days prior.  You will have to arrange your own.  If you fly into Heathrow a few days prior you would have much more fun sightseeing in London verses Southampton.  However, I understand you want to get as close to the port as possible.  My suggestion if you can afford it would be to book your pre cuise and transfer thru Princess and let them take care of everything.  You will have transport from airport to your hotel and then to cruise port.  We had a group of 11 who cruised out of Southampton;  we stayed at three different London hotels;  but everyone took the ships shuttle to the port.  Hope this helps.

Edited by AF-1
added txt

When we did our British Isles cruise last year there was an option to board in either Southampton, Dublin, or LeHarve.  The prices for boarding in Southamptom were a few hundred dollars cheaper than boarding in the other 2 cities.  We stayed a few days pre-cruise in London and disembarked a day early when docked in LeHarve and spent a few days in Normandy before driving to Paris for a few days there.  All in all a great trip.

We did this cruise a year ago, to/from LeHavre as the port.  We used Princess transfers from Paris to the ship (leaving from one of the train stations in Paris, and had to get to that location on your own), and then Princess transfer from the ship to the airport.  It's a long ride in both directions, around 3 hours as I recall.  If we did this trip again, I would use Dublin or Southampton.  And just visiting Paris from a port stop in LeHavre involves 6 hours of driving -- and while Paris is a lovely city, the congestion and traffic once you get there is unpleasant (IMHO).  Do London or Dublin.

Edited by Redhaven

Be sure to take Princess transfers to Southampton. We had a party of six and stayed at the Princess hotel two different cruises. Once the traffic was backed up for hours and they held the ship for us.

also book the Military Tatoo. In Edinburgh. It maybe offered as an excursion from either Edinburgh or Glasgow. It was the most fabulous experience. One you will never forget. This sells out so jump on it as soon as it’s offered. One time we flew into London from New York but took a car service directly from the airport to Rye. A medieval walled city. We stayed in a Bed and breakfast for two days. It was great. We went to Hastings one day. The hotel arranged for us to get to the port ( but I believe it might have been Dover).

As we spent a week in London some years before we started doing TAs from Southampton, we always use National Bus from Heathrow to Southampton.  Only one stop, Winchester (you can get a glimpse of the cathedral there).  Bus stop in Southampton is within walking distance of a few hotels near the port.

9 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

As we spent a week in London some years before we started doing TAs from Southampton, we always use National Bus from Heathrow to Southampton.  Only one stop, Winchester (you can get a glimpse of the cathedral there).  Bus stop in Southampton is within walking distance of a few hotels near the port.

Barb just beat me with her suggestion.  We always travel to Southampton using National Express.  Their coaches are very comfortable and like Barb said, only one stop.  We often spend a night in London after we arrive and we have traveled several times from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton for £5 each.  What a bargain.  You will want to go from Heathrow but it is still more reasonable than a transfer..   I think you have made a good decision staying in Southampton since you have been to London several times.  There is a wonderful museum there featuring the Titanic which is worth seeing.  Mary Rose and Victory are at Portsmouth which is not far away by train.  We also took the ferry over to the Isle of Wight to see Osborne House, Queen Victoria's summer home.  Great little trip. There is also a shopping center with M&S where you can pick up last minute things. Enjoy your cruise.

Just take an UBER or car hire from London the morning of the cruise and problem solved.  While one could easily spend a pleasant day or two in Southampton, it is not really necessary.  Another option would be Winchester just up the road, which IMO is also interesting.

• Like 1

@2travelcats

Looks like Le Havre is much farther from Paris than Southport from London.

Sorry but I had to smile at your departure port!!!   VBG

But yes spend time in London first; try to get a trip from there through Windsor and Stonehenge to arrive in Southampton a day early.

I would check the airfare before choosing which port to use to embark. Where we live it was about $300 cheaper to fly to England than to France when we last flew across the pond. I think the price differs depending on where you live.

Would you rather see London or Paris? Would you rather see Southampton or Normandy? If you have 3 days you can do just 2. Although the ship may stop at Le Harve (as ours did) that doesn't give you enough time to get to / enjoy / experience Normandy or Stonehenge 

We have chosen to fly into Heathrow many times, and taken national express(as others have suggested) (bus terminal is right in terminal 3) or a private car to Southampton, a few days early. Then from Southampton, take the bus to sights or even back to London(only a little over an hour).
Paris is a good three hour drive to LeHarve with no transportation near the port except a car rental that is only open when ships are in, very commercial port. Though there are many sights to see within driving distance.

Hal