Would you Cruise having to wear a mask almost all the time?

janewe

We have final payment due in October for a late January, Caribbean Cruise.  If there’s not a vaccine approved in the interim, It would appear, from limited information, we would need to wear a mask in the corridors, elevator, stairs and all inside public areas. The only time with out masks would be sitting down for drinks and meals and perhaps at social distancing in the theatre.  Then there would be the issue of perhaps wearing masks to exit and enter the ship.  There might also be a need to wear them in the heat on excursions.  All that coupled with wearing them from home to airport, flight etc 8 hours or so.  So, would you take your chances on a vaccine by the end of the year?  Would you be prepared wear a mask most of the time other that being outside on deck?  Or, would you cancel and get your deposit back and review your options a few months out?  Been a long time since I was on the board.  Would like to get some idea of what the consensus is.   Thanks!

We L&S'd a March 2021 cruise to March 2022 because we don't think that any cruise offered early next year would be both safe and enjoyable. I have no problem wearing a mask and have done so daily for several months, but I won't cruise if we have to wear them. As for a vaccine, I wouldn't count on one being approved in time for you to get your shot prior to the cruise. In your shoes, I'd look for an L&S to January 2022. Or cancel, get your deposit back and see what else is available. The advantage with the L&S is that you would keep your existing booking price, and perks.

At first I said I would never wear one on a cruise. But after reading @German Cruiser thread (who is cruising now) it doesn’t seem that bad. Of course they are not required to wear them “all the time”.

Only in the corridors and when they can’t social distance. It sounded very reasonable and there are numerous safety precautions on board. As much as I am missing cruising I definitely think I would wear one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a good mask whats the problem, it will be the new norm everywhere, forget on a cruise.

On cruise it is easy, we spend most of that time eating and drinking and thus no mask, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Get a good mask whats the problem, it will be the new norm everywhere, forget on a cruise.

On cruise it is easy, we spend most of that time eating and drinking and thus no mask, LOL.

I agree.  You are either eating & drinking, in your stateroom, or somewhere where you are social distancing.  🍷

We have b2b Jan and Feb. If a mask in necessary, that means that all is not well, in which case we will not sail. Very disappointing as we look forward to our winter escape. But many people with condos in Florida won't be going either. It will be a long winter.

Edited by babylene

I, personally, believe that the OP needs to cancel and move on until there is a 'safer' way for them to cruise.

It is understood that a semi-lengthy sailing is going to be an issue for them....

Cancel, save the agita over refund vs FCC and take a vacation where you will not be expected or required to wear a mask.

Many have moved in that direction, not me of course because a mask to cruise is not even going to stop me from getting on the next ship to leave port! LOL

A mask for each suit/sport coat I wear.. my tailor will be very busy when that time arrives!!!

In health and bon voyage

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Right now, I’ve been saying nope, won’t go on board and wear a mask the majority of the time, but time will tell.....I have a cruise in May 2021. IF Europe allows us to fly over, and flying is less risky than now, might consider it especailly since the cruise I have is out of London (Greenwich really) to Norweigan ports ending in Bergen. All the ports appear to be much safer than the US so may consider it. We’ll see. 

to me, the point isn’t really the pain of wearing the mask, if the Line(s) still consider it high enough risk that we need to wear masks, then I’d think the risk is too high to Fly over and go onboard for such an extended time. It’s not like going to the grocery store or whatever, it’s being in a ‘building’ requiring wearing a mask a good deal of the time for a week or longer unless I’m sitting in my SR. And taking tours in buses or wandering a city, going to museums?  tough call. Not something I do at home now. 

That’s why I’m waiting for X to come out with more of their 2022 itineraries for the FCC’s I have already. 

Den

Den

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We wear a mask to go shopping, to doctors, lawyers, nail salons, beauty salons, entering and leaving restaurants and bars.  We can only share a golf cart with someone living in our home.  To use a shared ride service requires wearing a mask. 

Not much different than what we expect to see on a ship until a proven vaccine is readily available.

We can’t go visit our grandkids, sister, brother, etc without being in quarantine for 14 days.

We could wait to sail until masks aren’t required but that could be another year or more.  We won’t put our lives on hold.   If a mask is what it takes to travel, and have some semblance of a life we will wear masks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've already moved our Dec 2020 cruise out to Jan 2022. By then we certainly hope there will be an effective vaccine and no significant restrictions, such as mask requirements. We have no issue wearing a mask at present for shopping, etc. But really can't see a long flight, much less a week or more on a ship, having to wear a mask and still think of it as a vacation. On the other hand we've had no problem with the social distancing aspect of all this and can't see where that, if required in some way, would create a major inconvenience.

Our preference is to wait until masks/social distancing are not part of the daily life on board a cruise ship.   We just don't think we would enjoy that kind of cruise ship atmosphere.   And wouldn't one think the need to require masks/distancing means the coronavirus is still a valid concern.  We just don't see ourselves enjoying travel like that.  YMMV.     

• Like 6

We would cancel and wait until we are more confident that cruising will become safe and fun again.

Not only is wearing a mask everywhere ( not only on the ship ) an issue  , also , the possibility that someone gets the virus and everyone is quarantined in their cabins for weeks on end.

LOL--I'm sure there will also be confrontations between passengers , ( some even worse than what we read on CC from time to time).

Just writing this reaffirms our decision to stay put.

• Like 3

Hard pass for us. Not because I think masks are uncomfortable, more-so if the status of virus spread is still at a point where masks are necessary everywhere, we don't need to be traveling. My opinion is it's just not the responsible thing to do.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Bo - See if this mask will go with your suits?? I think it’ll be very popular in Europe!

Den - guess I will have to get a brown leather jacket to go with it... LOL

bon voyage

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our preference is to wait until masks/social distancing are not part of the daily life on board a cruise ship.   We just don't think we would enjoy that kind of cruise ship atmosphere.   And wouldn't one think the need to require masks/distancing means the coronavirus is still a valid concern.  We just don't see ourselves enjoying travel like that.  YMMV.     

ITA!  Consider that even with masks, disinfecting, and social distancing, all it takes is one person showing symptoms to get the entire ship locked down at sea.  Remember that it will be flu season.  Someone may not have covid, but showing symptoms related to both covid and the flu or common cold could cause all passengers being under suspicion of having covid.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, janewe said:

Would you be prepared wear a mask most of the time other that being outside on deck

Heck, at this point I would wear Fauci googles if I could get back to cruising again.  😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 4