Melbourne Cup Cruise 2020 ???

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

The Covidlive website will update the Victorian LGA cases later each day (it's been updated now). The same website does have a list of cases per Victorian postcode but it hasn't been updated since last Friday. Our LGA is quite a long area mainly along the bay and we are at the southern end of it. Last Friday our postcode which only has two suburbs in it and a population of about 12,000 had 2 active cases but since then there have been an extra 38 cases in our LGA but we have no idea if the cases are close to us or in other parts of the city.

Leigh

That is a scary increase.  Are these people (38) positive, self isolated at home?  e.g. can't leave their house?

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a scary increase.  Are these people (38) positive, self isolated at home?  e.g. can't leave their house?

Yes, all positive cases will be quarantining at home and not allowed out of their apartment or property or in hospital. 

Leigh

I think it is a good idea how the Qld. Govt lists all the places infected people visited with the times.  This encourages people to be aware and to get tested, to try to stop the spread of the virus.  Small numbers help make this possible, as Qld. Govt. tries to stay on top of the outbreak. 

11 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I'd been looking at NSW which doesn't even have that.

https://covidlive.com.au/nsw

It's a bunch of numbers, but not much information.

I know, it's seriously annoying. However NSW does say which clusters the latest cases come from on it's own website, but doesn't say what suburbs those people actually live in, so we have no way of knowing what parts of Sydney are Covid-free or not.

For example so far, in the current outbreak, there has only been one case that had visited a gym in the suburb I live in (but at the furtherest point from where I live). However nothing was said about where that person actually lived so it's just a matter of watching the news reports every day to see if any more cases pop up locally, and of avoiding going into the shopping centres where possible. It's scary and depressing. Still, it's better than being in Melbourne at the moment. I feel so sad for all the sensible people there who are battling it out in the lockdown because of the stupidity of others.

Julie

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think it is a good idea how the Qld. Govt lists all the places infected people visited with the times.  This encourages people to be aware and to get tested, to try to stop the spread of the virus.  Small numbers help make this possible, as Qld. Govt. tries to stay on top of the outbreak. 

NSW has done that too, on it's official Covid-19 website. It lists places and times where people who went there during those times should get tested regardless, there is another list of "watch for symptoms' by specific places, and also for certain areas including Perisher where sewage testing detected the virus but no active cases have been found.

Julie

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NSW has done that too, on it's official Covid-19 website. It lists places and times where people who went there during those times should get tested regardless, there is another list of "watch for symptoms' by specific places, and also for certain areas including Perisher where sewage testing detected the virus but no active cases have been found.

Julie

I knew NSW was successful in their tracing.  However, I didn't realise they listed details on their website of places and times visited by infected people.  

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I knew NSW was successful in their tracing.  However, I didn't realise they listed details on their website of places and times visited by infected people.  

It's not always easy to find but it does get posted daily on FB.

Actually I just discovered there is a lost of locations and the number of cases in each. Again, not easy to find. 

22 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes, all positive cases will be quarantining at home and not allowed out of their apartment or property or in hospital. 

Leigh

A huge enforcement challenge Leigh.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

A huge enforcement challenge Leigh.

The positive cases are being randomly visited by DHHS and Defence Force personel. If they are not home, I think there is a big fine but doubt it will be enough to deter some people. 

Leigh

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The positive cases are being randomly visited by DHHS and Defence Force personel. If they are not home, I think there is a big fine but doubt it will be enough to deter some people. 

Leigh

I think there is also the possibility of a jail term.

Julie

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think there is also the possibility of a jail term.

Julie

You are probably correct.To be perfectly honest Julie, it is difficult to keep up with what is happening in Melbourne! But a gaol term is deserved if they are out and about.

Leigh

I just saw a list on the ABC website showing the number on untraced cases in each LGA.  Now I don't know all of the Victoria LGA names but I recognized a few and those cases are all over the place. A higher concentration in the northwest but still quite a few in eastern and bay areas. Stay safe, Leigh.

Julie

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just saw a list on the ABC website showing the number on untraced cases in each LGA.  Now I don't know all of the Victoria LGA names but I recognized a few and those cases are all over the place. A higher concentration in the northwest but still quite a few in eastern and bay areas. Stay safe, Leigh.

Julie

Thanks Julie, I am only going to shops once a week, so staying home the rest od the time. The weather hasn't been brilliant so haven't been out for a walk much.

Thanks for the info re the mystery cases in each LGA. I usually read the ABC blog, but hadn't today. We're in Kingston which has seven mystery cases. The Covidlive site has updated the active cases in each postcode too. Our postcode only has 1 active case.

Leigh

We're trying to limit our shopping as well, especially supermarket shopping. The butcher and greengrocer we go to is in a much smaller shopping centre and is rarely crowded. We did the supermarket shopping today and I was pleasantly surprised as to how many people were wearing masks even though they aren't required in Sydney.

But it's hard trying to break the habits of years over fresh produce shopping. Trying to plan meals several days in advance instead of just a couple of days. I'd become much more of a spur of the moment shopper, especially once I retired. It was a case of "why not pop down to the shops, have a coffee, buy something for dinner?". Now it's more like "can I avoid going to the shops for another day or two?". It's certainly a different world. 😏

Julie

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're trying to limit our shopping as well, especially supermarket shopping. The butcher and greengrocer we go to is in a much smaller shopping centre and is rarely crowded. We did the supermarket shopping today and I was pleasantly surprised as to how many people were wearing masks even though they aren't required in Sydney.

But it's hard trying to break the habits of years over fresh produce shopping. Trying to plan meals several days in advance instead of just a couple of days. I'd become much more of a spur of the moment shopper, especially once I retired. It was a case of "why not pop down to the shops, have a coffee, buy something for dinner?". Now it's more like "can I avoid going to the shops for another day or two?". It's certainly a different world. 😏

Julie

Since I retired, it was the same, an excuse to go and have a coffee. But not now, I'm trying to be organised and plan what I will need for meals for the next week  before I go to the supermarket. We have a Woolies, a butcher, a couple of bakeries, and a fresh chicken shop plus a number of cafes and takeaway shops, pharmacy, post office and ANZ bank in the shopping centre we go to in the next suburb. There is Coles opposite this shopping centre along with a cafe/bakery as well. We have an Aldi in our local strip shopping centre along with cafes and takeaway shops and a pharmacy and post office/newsagency. Our medical centre is also there.

Leigh