Mitsugirly just returned from 2 week stay in St Thomas

mitsugirly

On 8/17/2020 at 8:30 AM, mitsugirly said:

So was your report as lengthy as mine are? I had thought about doing one over here but was unsure. Maybe I'll just do individual reports to the different beaches only or something. I wish they had a spot for land vacation reviews to the cruise area's. That would be perfect. 

I’ve been enjoying reading your STT review on your website, and I have to admit that although I love this forum, I am really enjoying the format of reading only your story as it relates to your trip. I certainly don’t mean any disrespect to this forum (heck, without it I would’ve never even found your awesome reviews), but it’s nice to read the review without everyone’s comments in between. Thanks for all of your fantastic reviews. I always look forward to reading them.

I'm not sure if anyone has told you, but you couldn't go to Morning Star anyway. It is closed due to ongoing construction at Marriott Frenchman's Reef (since 2017), which is now stopped. So you made a good choice there. 😉

There are many good restaurants in Cruz Bay. If you had gone to Mongoose Junction, Greengo's for Mexican is great. Also Sun Dog Cafe. There are shops there and in the area around the people ferry that have the tchotchkes you were looking for. Also, in Red Hook, Chelsea Drugstore has lots of tourist goodies (and is run by wonderful people).

LOL. McDonalds in the VI is famous for slow service and grouchy workers. 🤣

I know this doesn't help you, but for someone else who visits. It looks like it will be a long while before cruising starts up again.

Does anyone have any comments on Pleasant Point?  We're planning on going next week.  Any tips on what to do and where to shop or eat would be appreciated.  What should we pack?  We are able to take 2 extra checked bags.

Imurex: Have you been keeping up with the tourism site? https://usviupdate.com/

Re-opening day is September 19th at this point. Check thewebsite for testing requirements, etc.

Point Pleasant is on the east end, close to Margaritaville and Coki Point. Red Hook is not far away for plenty of dining choices, although there are two restaurants on site. Save your extra bags, travel light. Swim suits, cover-ups, casual clothes are all you need. It's hard to know what shopping will be available, but there are stores in Red Hook, Havensight, and downtown. I hope you are renting a car, as you will want to get around the island, like mitsygirly did.

Kim;

Awesome review, as always.  Thanks for putting in so much effort, always enjoy the experience.  

Kendra should be part of all your vacations going forward.  As a reader, she really adds fun to the review.

I would encourage everyone to take some time and click over.

Bruce...

On 9/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, Arzeena said:

Hi Kim,

Very sorry for the loss of baby. Keeping you all in my prayers. Hugs to the dad and mom.

Just finished reading your St Thomas review. What is next on your travel agenda? In the mean while, stay well, stay happy and safe.

Thank you. I'm not sure what's in store for us next. I would really love to spend a week or two in Cozumel, but that would require our passports to be renewed (which I'm in the process of doing right now and probably sending them off today). If we don't get them back in time for our vacation "timeframe" that we usually travel (Nov-Dec), then we will have to pick another US place (probably return to St Thomas if they are still open). I would love to return to St Thomas and explore all of the places we didn't get to go to this time around. But I'm also really hoping to make it back to my true love....Aruba. 

On 9/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, my_crib_too said:

Kim;

Awesome review, as always.  Thanks for putting in so much effort, always enjoy the experience.  

Kendra should be part of all your vacations going forward.  As a reader, she really adds fun to the review.

I would encourage everyone to take some time and click over.

Bruce...

Thanks for acknowledging the effort it takes to do these long reviews. I really appreciate it. I found it a little more challenging to do them on my website than over here but it worked out....just a little slower and trying to figure out how to go about it. Then the web builder was constantly crashing and having to start over and losing my work. It was a nightmare... I was so relieved when I made it to the end. LOL

Kendra really adds life to the party...but she can also drag you down at times as well not wanting to be on the go all the time (like me) = I don't get to do everything I want. 😄  But I love it when she goes. 

On 9/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, Imurex said:

Does anyone have any comments on Pleasant Point?  We're planning on going next week.  Any tips on what to do and where to shop or eat would be appreciated.  What should we pack?  We are able to take 2 extra checked bags.

Note that you must present a negative COVID-19 test result upon arrival (molecular/PCR/Rapid), see the site for details/updates. And be sure to complete the screening test. You can download the form here within 24 hrs of your departing flight.

https://usviupdate.com/travel-form/

Enjoy your visit!

7 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Thank you. I'm not sure what's in store for us next. I would really love to spend a week or two in Cozumel, but that would require our passports to be renewed (which I'm in the process of doing right now and probably sending them off today). If we don't get them back in time for our vacation "timeframe" that we usually travel (Nov-Dec), then we will have to pick another US place (probably return to St Thomas if they are still open). I would love to return to St Thomas and explore all of the places we didn't get to go to this time around. But I'm also really hoping to make it back to my true love....Aruba. 

Hubby and I are also thinking about these possibilities......Cozumel, Aruba, DR, St Thomas.

I wish you all the best in your travels. Keep us updated. And stay in one piece Cruise Sister.......LOL 😉no more breaking or hurting anything. Best wishes for a complete heal on the ankle/leg.

Edited by Arzeena

On 9/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, Arzeena said:

Hubby and I are also thinking about these possibilities......Cozumel, Aruba, DR, St Thomas.

I wish you all the best in your travels. Keep us updated. And stay in one piece Cruise Sister.......LOL 😉no more breaking or hurting anything. Best wishes for a complete heal on the ankle/leg.

Ohhh, I hadn't thought about DR. We had an awesome time there twice now. Hmmm, I'm going to have to check out all the requirements for these places for the COVID. I just found out that Aruba has a mandatory testing 72 hrs prior to arrival and it HAS to be the nasal swab. Not sure I want to put us all through that. 🤔 But of course things could change before we ever get our passports back again. They are officially sent priority mail with tracking confirmation. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't take months and months and months.

Oh, I almost forgot...stay in one piece (LOL) well...I actually broke my middle last week...same foot/leg of course. Go me! 😆

Edited by mitsugirly

20 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Ohhh, I hadn't thought about DR. We had an awesome time there twice now. Hmmm, I'm going to have to check out all the requirements for these places for the COVID. I just found out that Aruba has a mandatory testing 72 hrs prior to arrival and it HAS to be the nasal swab. Not sure I want to put us all through that. 🤔 But of course things could change before we ever get our passports back again. They are officially sent priority mail with tracking confirmation. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't take months and months and months.

Oh, I almost forgot...stay in one piece (LOL) well...I actually broke my middle last week...same foot/leg of course. Go me! 😆

😆 NOOOOOOOOOO!

We are also researching DR.

5 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Just saw your review and wanted to chime in and say thank you. However, I am so sorry to hear about your famiy's loss. I know that you are all so close, and losing a baby is heartbreaking. Sending virtual hugs ❤️

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. 

Yes...If we were avid snorkelers or divers we would be looking at Bonaire or the BVI. We’re in love with the BVI so that would be our choice but we are very biased! ☺️

Passport required, of course, and the hopeful opening to international visitors to the BVI is  December 1, 2020. Still awaiting details on whether ferries will be running from STT/STJ, and what the entry/testing requirements will be...

image.thumb.jpeg.03afd3fb597036b88ebe31d48262d327.jpeg

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, O2B@Cagain said:

The DR has the highest Covid numbers (cases and deaths) in the Caribbean.

OH MY! Yea no, I think I'll stay away from there. 😲

On 9/27/2020 at 12:36 PM, blue_water said:

Yes...If we were avid snorkelers or divers we would be looking at Bonaire or the BVI. We’re in love with the BVI so that would be our choice but we are very biased! ☺️

Passport required, of course, and the hopeful opening to international visitors to the BVI is  December 1, 2020. Still awaiting details on whether ferries will be running from STT/STJ, and what the entry/testing requirements will be...

image.thumb.jpeg.03afd3fb597036b88ebe31d48262d327.jpeg

I would love to go to Bonnaire. One place I haven't been to yet. 

Thanks for this list. Very helpful. 

On 9/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, Suna said:

Just finished reading ... another great trip report 🙂

Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

MY PASSPORT REVIEW  😉   LOL

Well, I'm now waiting on a passport to determine where/when we might go somewhere again. 

I took my renewals to the post office LAST MONDAY, with the lady there telling me "I would send this priority mail to make sure it gets there fast, usually 2-3 days, with delivery confirmation and insurance". Ok...give me that. $12 later I walked out with a receipt stating both of our passports and renewals (2 packages) were going to be happily on their way to the passport agency to be thrown in a pile of 179,000+ passports that arrive the same week as ours does. 

So, 3 days later I check the status of my newly??? arrived passport at the agency. Hmmm, it's been 3 days and it's still sitting in my home state at the reginal facility. Um, ok. I'll give it another day or two. So much for priority fast 2-3 day delivery. I can see that's not about to happen.

So a total of 5 days in and I check the status and get ready for the big clap and happy dance and it pops up Arrived at USPS Regional Facility LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER. Wait what????!!!! It's only going 1 state away from me and it's been 5 long drawn out days and it has managed to land itself in CALIFORNIA??? I am totally confused at this point. The hubby tries to reassure me that they probably send all of them there for processing. Um no! I wrote Philadelphia PA on the envelopes, they don't just change up where they send it, the paperwork all said Philadelphia PA is where I needed to send it to so it needs to go to Philadelphia PA!!! I frantically call USPS and they tell me I need to wait another day or two and then they could file for a "lost" mailing. It's not lost! It's half way across the world in the wrong facility...well, at least it felt like that. Can't you call someone and track it down and send it where it needs to go??? Like this is my passport(s)! It's not just some random piece of mail. That's it, I want to use my "phone a friend" for help!

Two days later I check again and it tells me  In Transit to Next Facility what is this "next facility"??? China perhaps?? This is only the luck of someone like me who has no luck at all. 

Of course I headed back to the post office and spoke with the lady who told me to send it this way and how quickly it would get there. I knew she wouldn't be able to do anything about it, but I wanted to express my frustration at this point and try to get answers. She did some checking and came back to inform me "it was thrown in the wrong outgoing box". Outgoing from where I inquired?   She said "here". So, I have never worked at the post office, but I have sent many packages and watched them weigh your package, take payment, put the sticker on and then walk over and put it in certain boxes. I would venture to say she's the person that put it in the wrong box! Unless it's just a generic box and someone else sorts them in the back...but that would be counter productive if you ask me. So, this is the part that I would give less than a positive experience with a vendor if this was a cruise/land review. Just saying...

The following day I'm happy to report it's finally in....not PA but Nashville TN. Well, at least my passports are getting a vacation and traveling the US. I'm not, but they are. I hope they are getting stamped along the way for proof of travel. I could use some stamps in my book since I never do that. 

Not one but TWO days of sitting in Nashville, seeing the sites, singing a little country music, and it's finally leaving for it's next destination. It's like watching the Bachelor on tv. They stay a few days and the Chris Harrison comes in and announces "pack your bags...you're off to........" And everyone is excited...except for me. I'm pretty sure it's going to leave this destination and head straight over to South East Asia to make sure to bring me back some of that new "Covid" juice. Ugh!

So now we are at day 9. I feel like I'm doing a daily review at this point. Only there's no beach and no sand. 😞  I get confirmation that ....drum roll please...   they both have landed in HARRISBURG PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER.   Hey, at least it's in the right state finally. I could have just drove and dropped them off many many many days ago. Just saying...

That brings us to day 10: Today!!! I get the notification it has officially arrived at  PHILADELPHIA PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER. Ya know, where it was supposed to be 7-8 days ago. 

Tonight they are happily on their way to where they are supposed to be: The item is currently in transit to the destination. I honestly don't believe it. I think it will sit there for a few days...but we'll see. Or maybe it will come back to Ohio and declare a "redo" to get it right the next time. Who knows. 

When looking on the US Gov site for the passports, it's now stating turn around is now 10-12 weeks. That would put me roughly around mid December to the end of December. So, I guess we'll see. I may have to do a Christmas vacation. 

I'll keep everyone posted. 

• Like 1

Kim,

I am going to second Cruisingmama's sentiments above!

Hope you get them well in time before your new "passport needed" vacation.

The mail has been doing crazy things all over.

We have put DR on the shelf too after reading the reports. I say that you picked just the right time to go to St Thomas!

Edited by Arzeena