Balcony Partition Removal

A quick question on having two balcony rooms together on a cruise...Can RCL remove the divider in between balconies?  We'd like to book side by side balcony staterooms and open the balcony area.  Not interested in having a door in between the staterooms but are interested in having the partition removed.

What ships have that capability?  If possible, can they do this with an oversized balcony and regular balcony stateroom, as well?

30 minutes ago, BubbaBoat said:

A quick question on having two balcony rooms together on a cruise...Can RCL remove the divider in between balconies?  We'd like to book side by side balcony staterooms and open the balcony area.  Not interested in having a door in between the staterooms but are interested in having the partition removed.

What ships have that capability?  If possible, can they do this with an oversized balcony and regular balcony stateroom, as well?

we had it done on Indy.  Not sure what other ships it works on.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BubbaBoat said:

I have never seen a divider removed. The ones I have seen opened are two parts and one of the parts slides open. Do you have a particular ship you are inquiring about? Or, will you plan your cruise based on the ship and the ability to remove the divider.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have never seen a divider removed. The ones I have seen opened are two parts and one of the parts slides open. Do you have a particular ship you are inquiring about? Or, will you plan your cruise based on the ship and the ability to remove the divider.

I was thinking of any of the Oasis Class Ships.  Hoping it could be opened up so my wife and I can share balcony space with my 2 adult kids and thus take a 60 sf or larger balcony and double the size

5 minutes ago, BubbaBoat said:

I was thinking of any of the Oasis Class Ships.  Hoping it could be opened up so my wife and I can share balcony space with my 2 adult kids and thus take a 60 sf or larger balcony and double the size

Oasis class balcony partitions can be opened but it is at the discretion of the Captain.

4 minutes ago, BubbaBoat said:

That it takes an Act of the Captain to approve something so frivolous 

If the ship is going to be experiencing high winds or other bad weather during the week, a Captain will make the decision to keep the partitions closed for safety reasons.  No need to have them banging around or to have balcony furniture flying around because of a wind tunnel. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BubbaBoat said:

As an "adult kid," I no longer allow my father to do this to me. Too many mornings of being woken up by someone banging on my balcony door! And too many times forgetting to close the curtain before getting changed!! 😱

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMissMagic said:

As an "adult kid," I no longer allow my father to do this to me. Too many mornings of being woken up by someone banging on my balcony door! And too many times forgetting to close the curtain before getting changed!! 😱

Thanks Little Miss...It's my daughter 25 and my son 24 that are asking for it...They're sharing the same room and wanted it...so they're going to get it!  LOL

If you're particular divider's can be open..it is your cabin steward that will know the policy for you're particular sailing and will open (slide) them back for you as they have a type of key (tool) for this. Just ask when they come to your cabin to greet you once onboard. On Oasis class you'll be fine.

True aft divider's don't have the ability to be open on any class and 1st generation Voyager class port/starboard are part of the hull and can't open either other than Navigator & Mariner as these ships have outside hulls.

• Like 1

That it takes an Act of the Captain to approve something so frivolous 

On board the Captain is God.  What he says, goes.  Some will refuse out of security concerns.  Others, for safety reasons.  Some have no problem allowing g it

• Like 3

We have booked two 'hump' balcony cabins next to each other on Harmony. From the photos I've seen, the partition can be opened, but only about halfway, so you don't really get one massive balcony, but more of the two balconies with a walkway by the outside rail to get back and forth.  Didn't look conducive to pulling all the chairs together, but more of an easy way to go from cabin to cabin without going out in the interior hallway.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BubbaBoat said:

Thanks Little Miss...It's my daughter 25 and my son 24 that are asking for it...They're sharing the same room and wanted it...so they're going to get it!  LOL

Be sure to wake them up at least once with a good balcony door bangin! You can tell them LMM made me do it!

We have sailed on all Oasis class ships with family and there was no problem opening the balcony dividers.  They did not open all the way, but enough room to be able to sit on the balcony and talk and see each other.  Freedom of the Seas had a balcony divider that opened all the way, which was really nice.  

• Like 1

No way of knowing what the policies will be when sailing resumes.

Reduced occupancy?  Maybe only every other balcony occupied, so you can't be next to another. If all occupied, perhaps only open dividers if the next cabin is occupied by someone in your own household (living with you), like some restaurants currently do for table seating.

In the new normal nothing will likely be much like the old normal, maybe even something as mundane as opening balcony dividers.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, BubbaBoat said:

Which ships have that capability someone may answer, because not all do.   But for the ships with the capability, that may vary from time to time and might have to be revisited when cruising resumes. I can see someone taking the easy way out and saying NO MORE due to social distancing (pure speculation)   For years, Navigator had this capability , but they wouldn't do it.  Many people here will quickly reply, "Its at the Captain's disgression" but I have a hard time believing the captain would get involved.   Navigator was the only time we traveled with someone we want to do that with.    I've seen in done on Allure and another person's cabin steward told them no.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:45 PM, dawnelda said:

I don't know that the aft balcony dividers can be opened on Oasis class. They can't be opened on Freedom or Voyager class.

There are  no aft cabins on Oasis class ships.  The entire aft area is open because of the AquaTheater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1