Next time I cruise I am definitely going to....

chemmo

20 hours ago, chemmo said:

I will cross my fingers for you too...Fantastic itinerary.

What is in an Aviation Martini? When I finally sit at that bar I would like to know what to order!

Glad we are not the only ones that love the wake view ‘Mesmerised’ really is the only description...

:)  An Aviation Martini is an older recipe that has a bit of mystery to it.  It uses creme de violette which for many years has not been available; once it returned to production this classic martini has returned.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/aviation-cocktail-recipe-760055

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

🙂 An Aviation Martini is an older recipe that has a bit of mystery to it.  It uses creme de violette which for many years has not been available; once it returned to production this classic martini has returned.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/aviation-cocktail-recipe-760055

Thanks, it looks lovely! What does it taste like? I may not wait until my next cruise...

• Like 1

Thank you for starting this thread- I've enjoyed it immensely.

We are looking forward to every aspect....

The next time I cruise I will:

* Savor the car ride to the port

* Savor the excited feeling of seeing our ship in the distance and keeping a close eye on her as we approach

* Tip the baggage guys extra as they sweep our bags onto the luggage cart

* Enjoy every moment of the check-in process no matter how tedious it may be in the future- pinky promise

* Sit in the suite lounge before boarding and enjoy the space for a few minutes

* Kiss my husband as we step onboard as if mistletoe is hanging over our heads- it will be such a gift to be onboard

* Take a glass of champagne as we happily and thankfully head for the retreat or Micheals' club- enjoying the sights and sounds of other passengers laughing and enjoying life

* Greet every crew  member like a long lost friend- well- at least smiles and an air hug (thanks Covid)

* As tradition- buy a wine package for a glass of wine in our cabin before dinner

* Have dessert from Luminae sent to the cabin so we can eat it on the balcony, under the stars...we love doing this

Enjoy. Every. Moment.

Until we meet again...

Amy

Edited by H2OH!
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 11:31 AM, chemmo said:

. ...Now we cannot cruise at present we are becoming more determined to make every second count next cruise...

So here are the things I am definitely going to do next cruise!

Sit at the Martini bar, every time we pass it is so busy so we carry on to Michael’s and have a drink there.

Be more adventurous in my drink choices, don’t just stick to what I know I like.'...

Have you seen the latest Captains club promotion points activity ?  Your chance to  show us your posh frock and favourite tipple! 😊

Edited by dutchclogs

3 hours ago, H2OH! said:

Savor the car ride to the port

* Savor the excited feeling of seeing our ship in the distance and keeping a close eye on her as we approach

* Enjoy every moment of the check-in process no matter how tedious it may be in the future- pinky promise

* Kiss my husband as we step onboard as if mistletoe is hanging over our heads- it will be such a gift to be onboard

* Take a glass of champagne as we happily and thankfully head for the retreat or Micheals' club- enjoying the sights and sounds of other passengers laughing and enjoying life

* Greet every crew  member like a long lost friend- well- at least smiles and an air hug (thanks Covid)

* As tradition- buy a wine package for a glass of wine in our cabin before dinner

* Have dessert from Luminae sent to the cabin so we can eat it on the balcony, under the stars...we love doing this

Love those-great post!

I didn’t know we could get dessert delivered to our cabin...will try that next time!

• Like 1

So many wonderful ideas here......I am absolutely certain that the next time we cruise that I will be standing on my balcony at sailaway with tears in my eyes (or downright sobbing), tears of joy and relief that the world has reached some form of normalcy that we are able to do what we love again.

I will sit in Cafe Al Bacio and enjoy some of the wonderful coffee's and treats.

I will thank each and every staff member we encounter for "hanging in there" during this time, for coming back to work on ships again, for providing the wonderful service that X always has AND tip more than we ever have.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2020 at 6:50 PM, H2OH! said:

Enjoy. Every. Moment.

Until we meet again...

Amy

Amy, so enjoyed reading your post...In particular about seeing the ship. We always try to book pre cruise hotels with views over the port. We will set our alarm to silly O’clock and at 4/5am we will follow the ship’s approach on Marine Traffic...

Never again will we take any aspect of our cruise for granted...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 6:50 PM, H2OH! said:

Enjoy. Every. Moment.

Until we meet again...

Amy

Amy, so enjoyed reading your post...In particular about seeing the ship. We always try to book pre cruise hotels with views over the port. We will set our alarm to silly O’clock and at 4/5am we will follow the ship’s approach on Marine Traffic...

Never again will we take any aspect of our cruise for granted...

Edited by chemmo

On 8/12/2020 at 8:08 PM, dutchclogs said:

Have you seen the latest Captains club promotion points activity ?  Your chance to  show us your posh frock and favourite tipple! 😊

My husband spotted it! After 2 + years from it first being mentioned my posh frock has always appreciated the support it received on purchase and during future cruises!

Another couple of ‘next cruise I am going to...’ resolutions....

Go shopping for a new posh frock with hours to browse rather than the one store and the half an hour time slot I had in Fort Lauderdale. For those that don’t know the background, our flights across the pond were cancelled last minute owing to ‘unseasonal weather’ and it was thanks to advice from CC members (particularly in Philadelphia) that we got a ‘heads up’ and were first in the queue to rebook. We then finally arrived in Fort Lauderdale with one out of three suitcases...We did get them just before boarding but many on CC totally understood that I couldn’t board without at least one nice dress....

Take my original posh frock with me and wear it with pride!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 11:51 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Yes - thank you for the great idea !

Dessert from Luminae delivered to our cabin is now on my list !! 

The speciality restaurants will usually do this for you too, ask your waiter and he will arrange with your butler to collect and leave in your room. 

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

So many wonderful ideas here......I am absolutely certain that the next time we cruise that I will be standing on my balcony at sailaway with tears in my eyes (or downright sobbing), tears of joy and relief that the world has reached some form of normalcy that we are able to do what we love again.

I will sit in Cafe Al Bacio and enjoy some of the wonderful coffee's and treats.

I will thank each and every staff member we encounter for "hanging in there" during this time, for coming back to work on ships again, for providing the wonderful service that X always has AND tip more than we ever have.

I think we will be shedding tears of relief too and tears of pleasure...Such a difficult time at present, we are just so grateful that we have already made so many happy memories.

So many people are always going to do the important things in life (like quality time with partner, family and friends) tomorrow and recent events have made all of us reflect that we do need to ‘make every day count’ and ‘to live for and savour every moment’.

We also feel so much for the Celebrity crew and our thoughts are with them and their families through what must be a time of significant hardship to many...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I almost cried as I watched MSC sail away from Genoa yesterday.  I will never take sailaway for granted again!

Heartfelt wishes to those on board, I sincerely hope all goes well. 

Hope you are having a wonderful time in Genoa even if you are not at sea!

Sail aways  are special, another item to add to my list ‘Next cruise I will stand on my balcony sipping champagne as the ship leaves port, even if I haven’t finished unpacking!’

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chemmo said:

My husband spotted it! After 2 + years from it first being mentioned my posh frock has always appreciated the support it received on purchase and during future cruises!

Another couple of ‘next cruise I am going to...’ resolutions....

Go shopping for a new posh frock with hours to browse rather than the one store and the half an hour time slot I had in Fort Lauderdale. For those that don’t know the background, our flights across the pond were cancelled last minute owing to ‘unseasonal weather’ and it was thanks to advice from CC members (particularly in Philadelphia) that we got a ‘heads up’ and were first in the queue to rebook. We then finally arrived in Fort Lauderdale with one out of three suitcases...We did get them just before boarding but many on CC totally understood that I couldn’t board without at least one nice dress....

Take my original posh frock with me and wear it with pride!

The funny thing is, although I don't remember the details, I remember this story! In fact, I think I was trying to monitor east coast weather and post what I could as you frantically tried to figure out alternate travel! Ultimately I think the Philly crowd were probably more helpful than the DC/Mid-Atlantic crowd.

Enjoy that cruise when you can take it!

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 9:22 AM, awhfy said:

We were very fortunate to celebrate our 50th anniversary last year on Eclipse In September (Vancouver to Hawaii) & On Reflection MardiGras & ABCs in March (yes, we celebrated for a year, why not)

take the silly photos, take a professional photo, revel in the hot waffles with orange butter, stroll the ship at 4 am, dream on the balcony, get to Martini Bar early enough to get a seat at the bar, enjoy a specialty dinner (or several). Do everything or nothing, just be. 

DE36615E-5665-4FC6-A6D5-C4DA70D80AF0.jpeg

131C5B3F-3477-4B40-AC31-5EA39B149F8E.jpeg

BFEDF936-10BA-454C-AFFC-9834C103BDEC.jpeg

absolutlely stunning pictures.....and the drinks look great too!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:22 AM, awhfy said:

revel in the hot waffles with orange butter, stroll the ship at 4 am,

I could definitely revel in those waffles.  But, not strolling at 4:00AM.  I didn't even know they made a 4 o'clock in the morning.  😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Next time I'm on a cruise I'm going to try to get something for Free as so many have . I'll try the " tripping the waiter trick " or complain that our meals at the Lawn Club Grill the first night,  Murano the next and the Tuscan Grill the third were all not to the " standards " we always enjoyed. That should get us a repeat in each plus a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. 

LOL-- No peer pressure for me ??? I better look into booking a suite for our next cruise as it seem so many on CC book a suite. We have been in Aqua, Concierge and a balcony on the hump several times. 

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

chemmo,

Curiosity got the better of me and I found that thread! I had to look it up, but there were 3(!) mid-Atlantic nor'easters in March of that year! It was insane! When you first posted, it was looking bad but not impossible, but impossible kicked in within a couple of hours! That seriously may have been the best CC thread on a board I follow ever for helping out a member who had not idea and no way to know what was developing over here! I posted early and it still looked doable; it wasn't doable really soon after that!

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:31 AM, chemmo said:

We have loads of cruises behind us now. Sometimes friends will ask us if we ever get bored or question why we don’t try alternative cruise lines. 

The answer is simply we never get to do everything we plan on doing! We have found so much we enjoy doing and want to do again we have a ‘we will do that tomorrow’ attitude to things we haven’t yet experienced. Now we cannot cruise at present we are becoming more determined to make every second count next cruise...

So here are the things I am definitely going to do next cruise!

Sit at the Martini bar, every time we pass it is so busy so we carry on to Michael’s and have a drink there.

Be more adventurous in my drink choices, don’t just stick to what I know I like.

Take part in a trivia quiz.

Go to a show, years since I did one (too busy chatting in bars).

Get up really early one morning for a swim in an empty pool.

Walk around the ship decks after midnight stargazing...

So what are you planning for your next cruise?

Any recommendations of things you have done that are worth others trying?

@chemmo - like many others that came before me have already said... THANK YOU for creating this thread! I could only be so lucky to be able to cross paths with you on a future cruise.

I had to read the whole thread before I would decide to post. So many of the posts made me smile, made me giggle, and made me tear up. So much we have to say and share... and so much more for each and every person to be grateful for in life.

While I may be yearning for my next cruise, it won't happen until I know that I can travel with my partner and do it in a safe manner. I'm very fortunate to have an employer that sent me home to work back in mid-March because of their concern for the employees to be safe. I won't be returning to the office anytime soon (and I live in NY). I take every precaution possible... I do it for my own safety and I do it for everybody else as well.

I'm in the process of lifting / shifting our March 2021 Apex cruise and this thread certainly helps to take the sting out of this decision. When I am able to safely travel again and take our next cruise, I will be thinking about the following:

• Enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
  • Savor even the small joys in life.
  • Live each moment like there is no tomorrow.
  • Appreciate the good fortunes in your life and the people you hold close.

Thanks to all that shared their ideas on what to do next... of which some have been added to my "list".  😃

Edited by vulcan1971
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, markeb said:

chemmo,

Curiosity got the better of me and I found that thread! I had to look it up, but there were 3(!) mid-Atlantic nor'easters in March of that year! It was insane! When you first posted, it was looking bad but not impossible, but impossible kicked in within a couple of hours! That seriously may have been the best CC thread on a board I follow ever for helping out a member who had not idea and no way to know what was developing over here! I posted early and it still looked doable; it wasn't doable really soon after that!

We will never forget the start of that cruise! Surprisingly because of all the help and good will we received rather than the mad panic...

We were on the phone to AA seconds after the flight was actually cancelled (thanks to the heads up from CC members over the pond). We had a wonderful operator who was going to get us over there somehow! Our Manchester to Philadelphia to Orlando changed to Manchester to Heathrow to Fort Worth to Miami arriving at midnight.

When we landed in Fort Worth we were then looked after by a lovely lady in the AA lounge who helped us reschedule our hotel booking and arrange transport from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. You can imagine the relief we felt having this sorted before we boarded our Miami flight!

The hotel in Fort Lauderdale we had originally only booked for the night before our cruise were kind enough to reorganise so we were in the same room for both nights and gave us a discount!

BA/AA did get our luggage to us even if it was last minute.

All the advice we had read over the years about ‘always arrive two days early’ did save our cruise. Also the advice to cross pack meant we all had spare undies, one set of smart clothes, one set of shorts and T shirts and one swimwear! Just no posh frock!

I remember when we arrived exhausted at about 1.30am at our hotel logging on to CC to say a brief thank you for all the weather/flight advice and was overwhelmed by the good will of those following our adventures!

Even after our holiday ended the good will continued. BA/AA offered some compensation and when we phoned to ask our insurance company about some of the additional costs (hotels, transport) they immediately agreed. When I mentioned we had also been without luggage for two days they told us to send receipts for items purchased! When I sent the receipts in (a few clothes for each of us and cosmetics) I mentioned that the most expensive item was a dress for my cruise and I understood if that didn’t count as a ‘necessity’. When the cheque arrived they had paid for my posh frock, clearly seeing as I did, that I woman can cope with anything as long as she has a nice dress to wear!

It only goes to show that with all the difficulties in the world and so much negativity in the news the world is still full of wonderful caring people!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Next time I'm on a cruise I'm going to try to get something for Free as so many have . I'll try the " tripping the waiter trick " or complain that our meals at the Lawn Club Grill the first night,  Murano the next and the Tuscan Grill the third were all not to the " standards " we always enjoyed. That should get us a repeat in each plus a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. 

LOL-- No peer pressure for me ??? I better look into booking a suite for our next cruise as it seem so many on CC book a suite. We have been in Aqua, Concierge and a balcony on the hump several times. 

Food and service in the speciality restaurants last cruise (Equinox) was simply the best ever...Each night the M’D would come over to check we were OK and each night there was absolutely nothing to complain about and much to applaud! If you want some chocolate strawberries simple ask your room attendant or waiter and they will arrange some for you, no need to complain!

I had to smile about the ‘tripping the waiter’ trick...some years ago my husband moved his arm quickly as a waiter in the Captain’s Club lounge approached us with a tray of drinks, my husband and son were unscathed but the waiter and myself were absolutely soaked with red wine! Apologies were flowing from the waiter and other staff who hurried over and my husband kept stressing it wasn’t the waiters fault. I went to change (as did the waiter!). Later that night we received a note to say my laundry would be free and the usual plate of chocolate strawberries. We hoped the waiter had complementary laundry and strawberries too!

There is no bad room category on a ship, you just choose what suits you best. When we were younger we didn’t book top rooms. Our cruises were about the ports and sightseeing. As we have got older the ship is becoming more and more our destination. We do spend more time in our room, we do appreciate fine dining and we do like to be that little bit more pampered and looked after! I do think after the cruise starvation we are all suffering many of us will think ‘lets live for today’ and try an upgrade!

• Like 2