Next time I cruise I am definitely going to....

chemmo

5 hours ago, vulcan1971 said:

@chemmo - like many others that came before me have already said... THANK YOU for creating this thread! I could only be so lucky to be able to cross paths with you on a future cruise.

I had to read the whole thread before I would decide to post. So many of the posts made me smile, made me giggle, and made me tear up. So much we have to say and share... and so much more for each and every person to be grateful for in life.

While I may be yearning for my next cruise, it won't happen until I know that I can travel with my partner and do it in a safe manner. I'm very fortunate to have an employer that sent me home to work back in mid-March because of their concern for the employees to be safe. I won't be returning to the office anytime soon (and I live in NY). I take every precaution possible... I do it for my own safety and I do it for everybody else as well.

I'm in the process of lifting / shifting our March 2021 Apex cruise and this thread certainly helps to take the sting out of this decision. When I am able to safely travel again and take our next cruise, I will be thinking about the following:

• Enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
  • Savor even the small joys in life.
  • Live each moment like there is no tomorrow.
  • Appreciate the good fortunes in your life and the people you hold close.

Thanks to all that shared their ideas on what to do next... of which some have been added to my "list".  😃

Thank you for your comments, very touched...

Like yourselves we continue to stay at home and stay safe. Rather than feel tied in we are trying to enjoy each day for what it offers, time to watch the birds in the garden and see the flowers grow! 

We moved our October cruise this year to September next year and have chosen not to fly to cruise next year as that possibly presents more hurdles in this present challenging time. Like you we hope our cruise will happen but will only board when it is safe to do so.

‘savour the small joys in life’ is a quote close to my heart.

I do firmly believe the sun will come out tomorrow, we will all appreciate life more including those small joys in life like hugging a friend or boarding a ship or enjoying people watching or sipping a nice drink...

Sincere best wishes that you and your partner stay safe and well and that it isn’t too long before we are all cruising again! 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 12:51 PM, Argo. said:

This would be terrible.

"forced vaccines"?

We don't currently require proof of vaccinations and other HIPPA related disclosures

As for the OPs question, I most miss the early morning time on the veranda when its silent and only the sounds of the water/waves. So will continue to enjoy coffee/breakfast there while my better half is sleeping.

We miss Blu, Murano and the cabanas on deck by the lawn as well.

Hoping for good itineraries in the mix too

I'll be the one with the Kleenex at sail-away...

Just watching the MSC Grandiosa sail away the other day was so nice...

Love sail away...

Edited by Fogfog

On 8/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, chemmo said:

And I will try some waffles, only ever had those you make yourself in Holiday Inn Express...I guess I need to make some Canadian friends first to get the right topping...

Hello Canada!

Ah, the waffles! Try them with some of the orange butter and whipped cream!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, chemmo said:

Heartfelt wishes to those on board, I sincerely hope all goes well. 

Hope you are having a wonderful time in Genoa even if you are not at sea!

Sail aways  are special, another item to add to my list ‘Next cruise I will stand on my balcony sipping champagne as the ship leaves port, even if I haven’t finished unpacking!’

I'm definitely not in Genoa, since Americans are not welcome in Europe at the moment.  Watched it virtually.  People on board were live streaming.  As I watched the thrusters push the ship away from the dock, I realized that meant those people were actually going to go on a cruise!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

absolutely nothing to complain about and much to applaud! 

My post was " tongue in cheek '' , and I'm sure you recognized that. 

We never had anything to complain about on any cruise-- the food, the service, the cleanliness , all excellent.

( Watch---- someone will remind me of my comment about the jerk wearing---- etc, etc ).

On every cruise we purchase a 4 night Specialty Pkg and usually are offered an additional dinner at a reduced price which we take.  

What does bother me is watching " some " people looking for " anything " to complain about to get some sort of compensation , people that remove the gratuities, and obnoxious " big mouths ".  

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm definitely not in Genoa, since Americans are not welcome in Europe at the moment.  Watched it virtually.  People on board were live streaming.  As I watched the thrusters push the ship away from the dock, I realized that meant those people were actually going to go on a cruise!

I must confess I was surprised you were in Genoa as your home is Florida but missed you could have been watching it via media!

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hey there dear friend

No Iceland - Greenland right now 😞

I would have loved to have been on this sailing--and then realized--WAIT--we'd have been on the other sailing--

OH--and BTW-- the Saga thing-- our visa made us whole. We don't know if Saga coughed it up or if Visa ate it

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

My post was " tongue in cheek '' , and I'm sure you recognized that. 

We never had anything to complain about on any cruise-- the food, the service, the cleanliness , all excellent.

( Watch---- someone will remind me of my comment about the jerk wearing---- etc, etc ).

On every cruise we purchase a 4 night Specialty Pkg and usually are offered an additional dinner at a reduced price which we take.  

What does bother me is watching " some " people looking for " anything " to complain about to get some sort of compensation , people that remove the gratuities, and obnoxious " big mouths ".  

Yes, I took your post as very much tongue in cheek! We also used to book the four night package until we started booking RSs...

Wherever  you go in life there will always be the grumpy, the groaner and the moaner! I do think they are less prevalent on Celebrity than other lines. However, they do exist and once on board we choose our companions wisely preferring the cheerful, grateful and cup is more than half full crowd! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Hey there dear friend

No Iceland - Greenland right now 😞

I would have loved to have been on this sailing--and then realized--WAIT--we'd have been on the other sailing--

OH--and BTW-- the Saga thing-- our visa made us whole. We don't know if Saga coughed it up or if Visa ate it

I know, mourning the loss of Iceland/Greenland.  Hope it works next year.  I just booked a ticket to the Downton Abbey exhibit at the Biltmore Estate as a "replacement."  Although it involves a lot of driving to get there and back, it should be interesting.

Hopefully this will also bring a different level of perspective and appreciation when we are fortunate enough to sail once again.  I reflect on the angst and anger over the Celebrity “revolution” and the anger over the Kelley Hoppen decor.  I for one would love to be back in that Penthouse Suite even though it has a silly chair instead of the grand piano, even though the dressing table was removed outside of the master bath, even though the living room furniture is not very comfortable, even though the night stand lamps aren’t as functional as we like.  Hopefully there is a newfound appreciation for many things that seemed so terribly important just a year ago.

And, for those of us that might have the good fortune to return to sailing in that suite it is still possible to easily jump overboard from the palatial verandah if these changes are just too much to bear.  Happy dreams of sailing once again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Hopefully this will also bring a different level of perspective and appreciation when we are fortunate enough to sail once again.  I reflect on the angst and anger over the Celebrity “revolution” and the anger over the Kelley Hoppen decor.  I for one would love to be back in that Penthouse Suite even though it has a silly chair instead of the grand piano, even though the dressing table was removed outside of the master bath, even though the living room furniture is not very comfortable, even though the night stand lamps aren’t as functional as we like.  Hopefully there is a newfound appreciation for many things that seemed so terribly important just a year ago.

And, for those of us that might have the good fortune to return to sailing in that suite it is still possible to easily jump overboard from the palatial verandah if these changes are just too much to bear.  Happy dreams of sailing once again.

Sometimes it takes adversity to make us value the important things in life...

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Sometimes it takes adversity to make us value the important things in life...

Like staying alive away from potential threats to our health.

We would rather be on our back porch with a drink in hand than on a ship speculating if we would soon be at a wake for a lost loved one.  I have been looking at pictures of past voyages.  What a life.  Over 2,000 days on a Celebrity ship enjoying the service, dancing to the music of wonderful bands, visiting great ports over nearly 30 years of cruising.  I want to live to cruise again by realizing the threat and keeping my distance safely in our home.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Sorry, but being able to cruise again isn't going to make me appreciate the changes Ms. Hoppen made.  I will certainly appreciate being able to cruise again, but many of her changes were ill advised and apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way.  Everyone has the right to feel how they feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Argo. said:

Like staying alive away from potential threats to our health.

We would rather be on our back porch with a drink in hand than on a ship speculating if we would soon be at a wake for a lost loved one.  I have been looking at pictures of past voyages.  What a life.  Over 2,000 days on a Celebrity ship enjoying the service, dancing to the music of wonderful bands, visiting great ports over nearly 30 years of cruising.  I want to live to cruise again by realizing the threat and keeping my distance safely in our home.

I wanted to capture your end of post “We’ll meet again don’t know where, don’t know when...” but I wasn’t clever enough. So many of us share your sentiments, our wish to cruise again but balancing it against the health risks...

Like you we have many wonderful memories to look back on but we do believe we will all meet again on a Celebrity ship, with stars in the sky, stars in the theatre, drinks in our hands and smiles on our faces...

Sincere best wishes for your continued pleasant drinks on the porch (we are about to enjoy one inside, raining where we live tonight!). Enjoy your memories and as this thread hoped to inspire, look forward to what you will do on your next (safe) cruise!

15 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Sorry, but being able to cruise again isn't going to make me appreciate the changes Ms. Hoppen made.  I will certainly appreciate being able to cruise again, but many of her changes were ill advised and apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way.  Everyone has the right to feel how they feel.

Totally agree everyone has the right to feel as they feel...However, I could forgive a lot of decorative ‘faux pas’ to be back on board again soon!

I must say I am still surprised at some of the changes made that didn’t ‘fit in’ with life on board, undersized tables and oversized chairs...Hopefully during this ‘time out’ there will have been opportunities to reflect...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Totally agree everyone has the right to feel as they feel...However, I could forgive a lot of decorative ‘faux pas’ to be back on board again soon!

I must say I am still surprised at some of the changes made that didn’t ‘fit in’ with life on board, undersized tables and oversized chairs...Hopefully during this ‘time out’ there will have been opportunities to reflect...

Ah yes... And who could forget the myriad number of white ceramic tchotchkes placed everywhere, even in the bathrooms. 😁

And all those hard bound books with their covers torn off that just looked so bizarre. Maybe that's what “shabby chic” is.

Edited by C-Dragons

7 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Ah yes... And who could forget the myriad number of white ceramic tchotchkes placed everywhere, even in the bathrooms. 😁

And all those hard bound books with their covers torn off that just looked so bizarre. Maybe that's what “shabby chic” is.

I do quite like the light and airiness of the makeover, I just wish they had put more effort into practicality and comfort! The RS balcony furniture on Equinox post refit looked ok but was very uncomfortable. No cushioning at all.

We were rather disappointed when we saw pictures of the Silhouette PH that they have removed the piano but not put anything in its place. It would be an ideal spot for two recliner chairs and a small table sea facing...

However, I would happily sit on the uncomfortable deck furnishings without complaint at present...

Add to list....

‘Next cruise I will carry the myriad of miscellaneous cushions throughout the suite on to the balcony and sit on them!’

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

I do quite like the light and airiness of the makeover, I just wish they had put more effort into practicality and comfort!

However, I would happily sit on the uncomfortable deck furnishings without complaint at present.❤️

Add to list....

‘Next cruise I will carry the myriad of miscellaneous cushions throughout the suite on to the balcony and sit on them!’

❤️ Yes, I would too!

Hopefully the next time we cruise there won't be any tchotchkes, abused books, or cushions everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Book another cruise on-board for same time next year.

Have intended doing this but never have.

i have also intended booking late, to get the best price, but never have. However, I really think that this will be the way to cruise in the future, as at the moment there are so many unknowns:

1) When the ships start sailing again

2) Health requirements as stipulated by the cruise company

3) Our health status and age 

4) Itinerary- will the ship be allowed to Dock?

Far too many unknowns at the moment.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, upwarduk said:

i have also intended booking late, to get the best price, but never have. 

I pity anyone looking at booking late for Southampton cruises next year. Our September cruise to the Canary Islands next year had plenty of rooms left when we shifted a few months ago now there isn’t one suite left. Glancing at cruises before and after ours rooms are disappearing fast and prices are increasing.

We do feel blessed we have a booked cruise to look forward to (with no flying) although like you we will consider health aspects...We do appreciate Celebrity will let us move it forward again if we feel we need to, we feel we can have a cruise to look forward to but know we are not committed to more than the deposit...

8 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Appreciate every minute, tip the best I ever have and not take for granted how special freedom is. Blessings to all of you,

Totally agree,

Our first toast every cruise is to “Making it count....”

• Like 1