Update(s) on Grand Princess Summer 2021 Deployment (...and Crown, too?)

snoozecrooze

Addition:  June 7th and August 18th, too although the 18th isn't up on the website yet.

5 Ports: London (Southampton), England | Copenhagen, Denmark | St. Petersburg, Russia | St. Petersburg, Russia | Tallinn, Estonia | Stockholm (Nynashamn), Sweden | Skagen, Denmark | London (Southampton), England

• Like 1

My personalizer was just updated from Crown to Sky. Same category. Room to be assigned.  April 24/21 cruise 8 day from Southampton. Payment section is wrong so I am glad I saved booking before today  and the specialty dinners are missing. 

Edited by dog

3 hours ago, dog said:

My personalizer was just updated from Crown to Sky. Same category. Room to be assigned.  April 24/21 cruise 8 day from Southampton. Payment section is wrong so I am glad I saved booking before today  and the specialty dinners are missing. 

Just looked at my booking and it is a mess.   Flights are missing, fare is wrong.   Called Princess and was told everything would be finalized by the 30th.   Still working on moving everything over.   Better not lose my flights as they are now $1k pp additional.   Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Just looked at my booking and it is a mess.   Flights are missing, fare is wrong.   Called Princess and was told everything would be finalized by the 30th.   Still working on moving everything over.   Better not lose my flights as they are now $1k pp additional.   Fingers crossed.

Yeah, my fare is now $300 higher. I’m sure it is an error

Ok, so almost two months after I started this thread, we seem to have tentatively resolved the questions that still existed at the time.

1) Crown has now been confirmed to move to Los Angeles for the summer of 2021, meaning she will reappear on the West Coast for the first time on a regular basis since 2016. 

2) To make this happen, Crown is now replaced by Sky, which is now doing a mix of British Isles and Baltic cruises, all from Southampton.

3) Grand replaces Star in Alaska.

4) Regal replaces Grand because of #3.

This leaves Star Princess as the ONLY ship that has yet to be filled up with an active schedule following spring 2021. From what I've seen on CC, the speculation is that she will be saying her goodbyes and likely not resume operations for Princess again ---> emphasis on speculation <--- but I think this theory makes a lot of sense so we shouldn't be too surprised if it happens. She's likely gone as we know it and we'd be really very lucky to have some farewell transpacific before she heads to P&O Cruises Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:29 PM, snoozecrooze said:

Ok, so almost two months after I started this thread, we seem to have tentatively resolved the questions that still existed at the time.

1) Crown has now been confirmed to move to Los Angeles for the summer of 2021, meaning she will reappear on the West Coast for the first time on a regular basis since 2016. 

2) To make this happen, Crown is now replaced by Sky, which is now doing a mix of British Isles and Baltic cruises, all from Southampton.

3) Grand replaces Star in Alaska.

4) Regal replaces Grand because of #3.

This leaves Star Princess as the ONLY ship that has yet to be filled up with an active schedule following spring 2021. From what I've seen on CC, the speculation is that she will be saying her goodbyes and likely not resume operations for Princess again ---> emphasis on speculation <--- but I think this theory makes a lot of sense so we shouldn't be too surprised if it happens. She's likely gone as we know it and we'd be really very lucky to have some farewell transpacific before she heads to P&O Cruises Australia.

I've heard the same rumours about the Star. It's going to move P&O Australia earlier than planned.

@snoozecrooze Star Princess will not sail again for Princess. She will go into cold layup until she is refit for P&O Australia and enters service as Pacific Encounter for them.  She was originally planned to enter service for P&O in late November 2021.  The timing will be dependent on when/if the Pacific Explorer (former Dawn Princess) is sold, or if she stays in the fleet a bit longer. 

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@snoozecrooze Star Princess will not sail again for Princess. She will go into cold layup until she is refit for P&O Australia and enters service as Pacific Encounter for them.  She was originally planned to enter service for P&O in late November 2021.  The timing will be dependent on when/if the Pacific Explorer (former Dawn Princess) is sold, or if she stays in the fleet a bit longer. 

Are they now trying to kill Pacific Explorer too?

Jeez. Not liking that movement from me. I would rather have three choices of ships like what we had (in fact we had 4 during the best times)

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Will there be any original Grand-Class ships (or smaller) left for us to enjoy in the US?

By your definition of Grand-class (meaning ships only including Star and before that), Grand Princess will be the lone ship that you might be able to enjoy as she'll be the only one with regular deployments from a US port. She'll be sailing out of Alaska in Summer '21 and Los Angeles after that. You can also find other rare voyages on smaller alternatives, like Island or Coral.

5 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

By your definition of Grand-class (meaning ships only including Star and before that), Grand Princess will be the lone ship that you might be able to enjoy as she'll be the only one with regular deployments from a US port. She'll be sailing out of Alaska in Summer '21 and Los Angeles after that. You can also find other rare voyages on smaller alternatives, like Island or Coral.

I booked 2b2 cruises on the Grand Princess for March 2022....yes...the day it opened.  I am so thrilled she will be ported out of San Pedro.  I have hesitations that by 2022 she will be also gone.  I would have preferred Princess to give away the Grand and keep the Golden, but am thankful there is still one left.  I'll sail on the Coral but never the Island.  They pulled this switch once.  I WAS booked on the Grand but given the Regal.

19 hours ago, carbon said:

Does the Grand Princess have partially covered balconies like the 10th deck on the Emerald Princess?

Aft facing corner balcony on Grand, Star & Golden were fully covered when I was on them. Caribe deck. 

56 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Star Princess will not sail for Princess anymore.

She is leaving the fleet with immediate effect, earlier than the original plan in October 2021.

Yep, thanks for sharing. Several members here called it and I agreed. The official press release is here

All Star bookings have effectively been zapped from the booking system and we can expect the deck plan, bridge cam, etc. to follow suit shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...