CDC quietly drops 14 day travel isolation

jimbo5544

18 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The state of NY has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for those traveling to certain states.  Large finea are being levied against those that do not self quarantine. 

My son flew from CA to NYC after they made the requirement of 14 days quarantine with large fines levied...got off the plane..into the city with no questions asked, nothing to sign..

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 7:30 PM, bury me at sea said:

Was this quarantine ever enforced?

Anyone traveling from NYS - needs to quarantine for the 14 days upon return from a RED state.   This is a problem when you work for an employer, because they need to track you - which I hate.   I would need to use 80 hrs of sick time or work from home if I left NYS for a vacation to a state that is under the RED list. 

I need to re-book a cruise by the end of December 2020.......I don't see anything leaving New York or New Jersey as of yet for 2022.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I think it will have zero impact on the islands. CDC can do what they want. They are facing the reality that the US cases are not primarily occurring from international travel so not alot of point. that doesn't mean that an island with very few cases is going to allow someone to come from the US without a covid test/quarantine.  I have a doctor's appointment later today and as a pre-screening measure they sent a list of places where if you had recently traveled they wanted you to reschedule your appointment. None of them were international - list a list of states. Domestic travel appears to be the biggest threat at this time and governors are still free to impose a quarantine when traveling from high case states.

Edited by sanger727

28 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I think it will have zero impact on the islands. CDC can do what they want. They are facing the reality that the US cases are not primarily occurring from international travel so not alot of point. that doesn't mean that an island with very few cases is going to allow someone to come from the US without a covid test/quarantine.  I have a doctor's appointment later today and as a pre-screening measure they sent a list of places where if you had recently traveled they wanted you to reschedule your appointment. None of them were international - list a list of states. Domestic travel appears to be the biggest threat at this time and governors are still free to impose a quarantine when traveling from high case states.

True the direct impact (and desired impact) is state to state travel.  Watching a couple that can impact us.  I do think they would be high pressed to enforce fines when the CDC has backed off on their stance.  We will see.  My point on bringing it up for international travel is a subtle measure that it might play an impact for future travel.  I do not disagree on where the CDC power lies.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Why would what the US CDC does have any impact on any islands except USVI and Hawaii?

18 hours ago, zqvol said:

Why would what the US CDC does have any impact on any islands except USVI and Hawaii?

Their control is the US, there is no doubt on that.  The potential impact is from the drivers in the US and the CDC changing its mind affecting their future decisions.  The CDC has more weight than WHO and their views count (regardless of whether the islands fall under their control).

23 hours ago, boatclub1 said:

Anyone traveling from NYS - needs to quarantine for the 14 days upon return from a RED state.   This is a problem when you work for an employer, because they need to track you - which I hate.   I would need to use 80 hrs of sick time or work from home if I left NYS for a vacation to a state that is under the RED list. 

I need to re-book a cruise by the end of December 2020.......I don't see anything leaving New York or New Jersey as of yet for 2022.

I live along the coast of SC.  This summer I have seen many cars with license plates from NY, and NJ.  I volunteer at a local tourist attraction and have talked to many from these and other states that consider SC a "Red"  state (Some call SC a "free" state).    Do all these vacationers self quarantine after returning?  Is someone tracking them?

1 hour ago, Lazz said:

I live along the coast of SC.  This summer I have seen many cars with license plates from NY, and NJ.  I volunteer at a local tourist attraction and have talked to many from these and other states that consider SC a "Red"  state (Some call SC a "free" state).    Do all these vacationers self quarantine after returning?  Is someone tracking them?

We were there in May, and in June (MB) and we didn't and nobody tracked us. 

1 hour ago, Lazz said:

The answer now is yes, might change today when the weekly updates come out.  There are examples of them checking cars, planes and trains and issuing tickets (CT at $1,000 per violation, NY rumors at up to $10,000..must be New York inflation😎)

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I turned it off on my phone, someone told me it can still track, not sure, just bring it up as informational

Some of my  local neighbors have begun leaving their phones at home when meeting with friends or taking their kids to the playground, and other times they do not want to be tracked. I hope they realize their car can be tracked as well.

5 minutes ago, Lazz said:

Some of my  local neighbors have begun leaving their phones at home when meeting with friends or taking their kids to the playground, and other times they do not want to be tracked. I hope they realize their car can be tracked as well.

I have a better way, no smart phone.

Sadly, as an update, the State of CT has maintained the ban saying that Florida only met one standard (rolling 5 day positive rate of under 10%) but did not meet the 10 per 100,000 rate, and ignored the CDC.   

45 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Sadly, as an update, the State of CT has maintained the ban saying that Florida only met one standard (rolling 5 day positive rate of under 10%) but did not meet the 10 per 100,000 rate, and ignored the CDC.   

I am hoping the Florida rate drops quickly, as we have re-scheduled our cancelled Disneyworld trip from May to 4 weeks from now and will not go if NY still demands quarantine on return from Florida.  Will probably have to cancel again.   I know of a few people who recently returned from Florida and did not quarentine at all.  I also know of some that bought a "burner phone" (disposable phone) so they could give that number in the event they were tracked.  They left that phone at home while they went galavanting around, so if the phone was tracked it would look like they were quarentining.   People will find a way to get around anything if they really want to.

• Like 1