When May River Cruise Lines Resume Service? [Sep 1, 2020 edition]

Host Jazzbeau

When May River Cruise Lines Resume Service?

[verified at cruise line websites September 1 – note that each cruise line name is  a link to the page with this information]

Changes since last month shown in Green

Amadeus:  July 1

AmaWaterways:  limited sailings for Germans have begun; general sailings may resume November 1

American Cruise Lines:  began sailing July 23

American Queen Steamboat Company:  October 1

APT:  October 1

Arena Travel:  September 1

A-ROSA River Cruises:  began sailing June 17

Avalon Waterways:  November 1

Botanica:  began sailing July 1

Captain Cook Cruises (Murray River):  began sailing in July

CroisiEurope:

Crystal River Cruises:  January 2021

Emerald Waterways/Evergreen Cruises:  January 2021

Gate1 Travel:  April 1, 2021

Grand Circle:  November 1

Nicko:  began sailing June 1

Pandaw:  Summer 2021

Phoenix Reisen:  began sailing [per @notamermaid]

Riviera Travel:  September 15

Scenic:  January 2021

Tauck:  November 2020

Teeming River Cruises:  October 2021

Titan:  February 2021

Travelmarvel:  [can't decipher website]

TUI River Cruises:  November 26

Uniworld:  October 1

Vantage:  January 2021

Victory Cruise Lines:  April 2021

Viking River Cruises:  March 2021

VIVA: began sailing June 26

Vantage, my hope is that they are still in business come next March.

I’m very grateful that I have only US$500 at risk for a trip to Africa in February. I wouldn’t like to have prepaid the whole cost one year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I got an email from a TA today advertising a Canadian only Christmas Markets cruise on Avalon Dec 2-8 from Nuremberg to Vienna.

Canadians are allowed to travel to Europe/Schengen without quarantine. So that´s a good idea to offer them for Canadians only.

steamboats

Nice idea of Avalon. So they are confident that travelling into Schengen without problems and getting back without problems will happen. It certainly is looking promising at the moment. Not too sure about the Christmas markets. Nuremberg is currently saying they will go ahead with their famous market, Christmas markets do not automatically fall under the ban on large-scale events. They are working on ways to make it happen. Hopefully Austria will keep up the good work and be able to stage them as well. Fingers crossed.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Canadians are allowed to travel to Europe/Schengen without quarantine. So that´s a good idea to offer them for Canadians only.

steamboats

We Canadians are, however, still required to quarantine for 14 days when we return.

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

We Canadians are, however, still required to quarantine for 14 days when we return.

I gathered as much. As I said Avalon must be hopeful for December, as I cannot imagine they will think that many people will want to quarantine, right? But who knows, one river cruise is only 150 guests approximately. Do you have an anticipated date for having the quarantine rule lifted yet?

notamermaid

Do you have an anticipated date for having the quarantine rule lifted yet?

notamermaid

No. In fact, we still have some internal quarantines and are still under an “avoid any non-essential travel” advisory. I’m not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

21 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Christmas markets do not automatically fall under the ban on large-scale events.

🤣😂 I´d say the one of Nürnberg (Nuremberg) is definitely large scale in normal times...

Our minister president hasn´t said anything about the markets yet. And as he is from Nuremberg...

steamboats

You know, I could not believe it when I read this in the Franken online news. If Nuremberg market isn't large scale event what is? Baffling. Here Söder tends to be a bit stricter than our other heads as well... If I remember correctly "The Christkindl" is alone on her balcony so she at least would be socially distanced! Smile.

notamermaid

On 9/3/2020 at 7:06 AM, gnome12 said:

And, depending on what part of Canada you live in, you have to quarantine for 14 days for travel *within* Canada...  My daughter lives in (Northern) Manitoba - and anyone returning to that province has to quarantine if you have come from anywhere east of Terrace Bay Ontario.

Fran 

10 hours ago, franski said:

And, depending on what part of Canada you live in, you have to quarantine for 14 days for travel *within* Canada...  My daughter lives in (Northern) Manitoba - and anyone returning to that province has to quarantine if you have come from anywhere east of Terrace Bay Ontario.

Fran 

At least she can visit you, even if she has to quarantine when she returns.  I can't visit my family in PEI as I don't own property there (yet).  People who have summer homes had to apply to go, and had self quarantine and have 2 negative tests within the 14 day quarantine period.  At least in Canada, our tests are free.

• 2 weeks later...

If I understand the website correctly, Riviera Travel start sailing today (top post states 15th, but website says 14th). Not sure which river it is supposed to be, I vaguely remember reading Douro somewhere. I hope things will go okay and we will read a little report in the industry media. Wonder if Riviera will put something on their Facebook page?

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

A prudent and necessary decision. The article states that US and Canadian markets make up 95% of the guests and, unfortunately, the infection rate in the USA is far too high to safely commence cruising.

dogs4fun, I agree unfortunately. And even if they started now, their cruise itineraries in Europe could be affected to the point of proper disruption. Amsterdam risk zone now, Danube off-limits in parts (at least stepping on land for excursions), low water in Bavaria, France sketchy, Spain not recommended for extension, Portugal struggling a bit. Perhaps unexpected, but understandable: nickocruises according to a German info website have cancelled their cruises on the Rhone for this year. The company states that an enjoyable, safe trip with excursions is hardly possible to compile and organize right now.

notamermaid

On 9/2/2020 at 11:57 PM, steamboats said:

steamboats

As others have mentioned, we Canadians are still required to quarantine in place for 14 days if we have left the country or in some cases between provinces and there is still an avoid all non-essential travel advisory. I can't imagine insurance coverage would support making travel plans within these dates of advisory and mandatory quarantine. Unfortunately our Covid19 rates are also increasing, resulting in many provinces and municipalities going back to some of the more vigorous closures and social bubble restrictions. Watching the daily number climb and watching the notifications about positive Covid 19 cases on various flights is enough to keep me at home. So sad, but health and safety is the priority. I have colleagues working on the Covid19 contact tracing team and it is not pretty. Looking forward to a day when travel opens up again (and then I will be booking our Danube cruise!  :)

22 hours ago, banditoo said:

I can't imagine insurance coverage would support making travel plans within these dates of advisory and mandatory quarantine.

Our travel insurance carrier is very clear that they will not cover any travel booked during the travel advisory.  So,  travel - at least for us - is out until the government lifts the current advisory.  We can't book anything - but I can dream...

Fran

51 minutes ago, franski said:

Our travel insurance carrier is very clear that they will not cover any travel booked during the travel advisory.  So,  travel - at least for us - is out until the government lifts the current advisory.  We can't book anything - but I can dream...

Fran

Us too Fran. Research and dreaming! And looking at photobooks from our previous cruises and travel. 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:30 AM, notamermaid said:

Christmas markets do not automatically fall under the ban on large-scale events. They are working on ways to make it happen.

We have a Christmas market in Toronto in our Distillery District...  It was - just yesterday - cancelled for this year...

Fran

Yes, gnome12 mentioned it on another thread yesterday. So sad, I think the emotional toll may be as high as the loss of the stallholders and shops in that decision, in my humble opinion. Not sure how things will work here but they are thinking of pedestrian traffic controlled one way systems with limited access where there is space, one idea. Hmm, does not sound romantic. Perhaps you can have illuminations and small special arrangements where space allows in Toronto. Make something happen with your neighbours, Fran, whatever the authorities will allow. As regards Christmas markets I am not willing to accept the situation and despair.

On the thread topic there is puzzling news as yesterday I noticed that apart from many other German ships the (Tauck) Inspire is sailing. That is "normal" as she is under contract with VivaCruises to take German-speaking guests. But her sister ship the (Tauck) Grace is nearby. She is not with VivaCruises. So which company is using her? Tauck themselves are supposedly not sailing yet. In any case I was happy to see another beautiful ship (IMO) with the distinct green livery of Tauck back on the river.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, franski said:

We have a Christmas market in Toronto in our Distillery District...  It was - just yesterday - cancelled for this year...

Fran

How is Toronto doing by the way? We didnt have any news from what is going on in Canada for awhile. Do you have restrictions and stuff? It feels like Canada got untouched by the crisis really. Maybe its due to the cold.. Or maybe you got some good measures to fight it? 

14 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

How is Toronto doing by the way? We didnt have any news from what is going on in Canada for awhile. Do you have restrictions and stuff? It feels like Canada got untouched by the crisis really. Maybe its due to the cold.. Or maybe you got some good measures to fight it? 

Our province (Ontario) as well as Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia are all on the uptick. In Ontario, we have decreased the number of people allowed in non-monitored spaces to 10 indoors and 25 outdoors (from 25 and 50 respectively). Monitored spaces like restaurants, reception halls, and movie theatres are still at the old limits. While our infection numbers are as high as they were back in the spring, we have few hospitalizations which is very different. Personally, I go out only to grocery shop or cycle (with a few other stops sometimes) or to cycle. People are generally good at wearing masks, but we are starting to get some anti-mask demonstrations too.