Grand or Ruby?

I_r_a

I have cruised to Hawaii on both ships over the years. If I had my choice I would rather be on the Grand. Not sure if anyone else noticed but on the Ruby they would take reservations for the first night of dining. What the staff never did was inform customers that fact that half the ships customers made dinner reservations. It became very comical to watch people walk past the two very long lines and approach the dining staff that they had reservations. The staff then would tell people they would have to get in the "reservation line" which was longer than the non reservation line. You talk about people getting upset! Another thing I noticed about the Ruby. If the dining area got full they would run customers over to the other dining room where the staff would get upset because they were having to serve people that were not associated with that dining area. You could get a mean but good luck getting a cup of coffee after the meal. I never had this issue on the Grand. This is just my take. 

2 hours ago, vivian02 said:

I have cruised to Hawaii on both ships over the years. If I had my choice I would rather be on the Grand. Not sure if anyone else noticed but on the Ruby they would take reservations for the first night of dining. What the staff never did was inform customers that fact that half the ships customers made dinner reservations. It became very comical to watch people walk past the two very long lines and approach the dining staff that they had reservations. The staff then would tell people they would have to get in the "reservation line" which was longer than the non reservation line. You talk about people getting upset! Another thing I noticed about the Ruby. If the dining area got full they would run customers over to the other dining room where the staff would get upset because they were having to serve people that were not associated with that dining area. You could get a mean but good luck getting a cup of coffee after the meal. I never had this issue on the Grand. This is just my take. 

Interesting....I’ve been on the Ruby in 2017 & 2018 & never had that experience. Wondering if it was because of the management on board & not because it was the Ruby. 

Tom🤔

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

with no Alfredos on Ruby, where do you get pizza? Don't mean that stuff on the pool deck. I mean real pizza?

Yes, that is a downside to Ruby for sure. No pizza onboard. The stuff on Lido deck is terrible. We don't buy frozen pizza at home and the stuff on Lido - while fresh made - tastes as "blah" as frozen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vivian02 said:

As another poster has mentioned policies and procedures are set by the ship's management team.  That team regularly turns over.  Whenever cruising restarts, there is no telling what the management team will be on any given ship.

It is also possible, that the management team that was in charge on the Ruby Princess cruise that you described, learned from that experience.  Unfortunately, we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.

11 hours ago, XBGuy said:

As another poster has mentioned policies and procedures are set by the ship's management team.  That team regularly turns over.  Whenever cruising restarts, there is no telling what the management team will be on any given ship.

And when cruises restart the crew will be new/different also.

Past great or poor service on a particular ship may not apply to the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I_r_a said:

Hi All,.

Thanks for your great observations.

I am now waffling between The Grand and The Ruby.  🙂   🙂

Ira

Alfredos, Adagio, Share, Sabatini's........   

🤣🤣🤣

Aren't you glad you asked?

Just to throw in more information, the Sabatini's on the Grand Princess has the newer "Tratorria" menu which I feel is more interesting that the older menu which is still in use on several of the ships.  Of course. many people will say that the older menu is superior, and there is nothing wrong with that opinion.  If you are unfamiliar with the two menus, you can check them out at the Princess web site.

Again, though, you are going to have a great cruise on either ship.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Finally, after spending 2 sleepless nights mulling over the pros and cons, I have decided that I shall

........................   drumroll ........................

go with The Ruby.

Ira

Unless, of course, you have good reasons why I should choose The Grand Princess  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No reasons!  Were it my choice I'd go with Ruby, but we're doing the Grand out of LA in 2022 for other than ship reasons.  We've done many days on both and find it really is a toss up, factors other than the ship decide us.

The itinerary is one I like (sea day between Ensenada and SFO).

Of course:

Share is one not to miss but it isn't for everyone - check the menu.  

Ruby has thermal suite with heated loungers, gentle steam, gentle sauna, aromatherapy.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:39 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Haha ... I've sailed under the Golden Gate at least 2 dozen times and call me lucky but, I've not seen it like that before.  Don't get me wrong, I've seen the fog roll into SF on many occasion, just not my experience when cruising.  Here is one from my most recent sailing out of SF ... a few months before the pandemic.  

It always thrills me to sail under the GG.  

73372305_3441916252500271_2372406588460761088_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=WsM69IxLS4cAX9cgxYq&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=b34505857eaf92f3f210f25de2d11094&oe=5F7DAAD6

I’ve sailed under it three times, twice on the Grand and I have videos of a clear day just like this.  

6 hours ago, Linsifer said:

I’ve sailed under it three times, twice on the Grand and I have videos of a clear day just like this.  

The fog is a normal summer weather pattern here, although, it can really hit at anytime.  We've been lucky and haven't really seen it socked in with fog on our sailings out of the city.  It was pouring rain a couple of times but, can't recall a lot of fog on our trips under the GG.  We don't usually sail in the summer months, though.  

We live 90 minutes south of SF on the coast so I’m definitely familiar with the summer fog, especially in the morning and evening.  So far, we’ve only sailed in April out of San Francisco on fog-free days, although there were some mild spring showers.  

15 minutes ago, 2travelcats said:

Do both ships have free, same sex saunas? 

The deck plan of the Ruby looks like it does but I can't tell on the Grand.

Thanks!

Unless something was changed in a drydock that I am unaware of, the Grand has 2 Saunas and 2 Steam rooms located and accessed from the deck of the Lotus pool that are gender specific.  Access is from an open air common public pool area so they are not private.  Appropriate swimwear is mandatory for use of these facilities on the Grand.

The Grand has Window Suites and like I posted earlier.....ELUA for your Hawaiian Ambassadors.  Dave has not confirmed placement, but they usually do Los Angeles run.  But they do lack a middle staircase.  But 400 passengers less will make a difference.

• Like 1