Virtual cruising

lenquixote66

"offering everything that a real cruise could offer". I don't think so. So, no.

Is it going to offer to tidy my bedroom and clean my bathroom every day? Cook and serve me excellent meals three times a day? Mix and serve whatever cocktail happens to interest me at the moment? Surround me with an ever changing and interesting mix of people from all over the world to share experiences with? 

No. All it can offer is an extended travel video. I can get that on YouTube. 

I could have sworn there was an almost identical thread started a while ago. But maybe that was on a different forum.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

"offering everything that a real cruise could offer". I don't think so. So, no.

Is it going to offer to tidy my bedroom and clean my bathroom every day? Cook and serve me excellent meals three times a day? Mix and serve whatever cocktail happens to interest me at the moment? Surround me with an ever changing and interesting mix of people from all over the world to share experiences with? 

No. All it can offer is an extended travel video. I can get that on YouTube. 

I could have sworn there was an almost identical thread started a while ago. But maybe that was on a different forum.

You could have all of that and more.All you need is a bit of imagination.

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

Please explain how I could have all of that virtually.

With imagination you can have virtually anything.Remember the Sci Fi movies of years ago ? That is the kind of virtual cruising I am referring . 

I do not recall starting a similiar thread.However,there are hundreds of duplicate subject threads all over CC.Within the past 5 minutes a thread was started by someone who started an identical thread recently.

Edited by lenquixote66

No.  I tolerate attending virtual church services.  I am getting used to attending virtual committee meetings.  Like them as well as in-person--well, maybe sometimes I do, to be honest.

To "sail on a virtual cruise":  no interest whatsoever.  Where's the personal experience that I will have the sea, the night sky, the interaction with my bartender and with my fellow guests at the bar?  The Dover Sole at Rudi's:  looks lovely and enjoyed watching the Steward de-boning it; but, I can't taste it.  I have a very good imagination, but a virtual cruise will stretch my imagination to point that I don't think is realistic nor would it really be enjoyable.  

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You could have all of that and more.All you need is a bit of imagination.

With sufficient imagination you can do it all on your own - no need for a virtual cruising app  - or whatever.

Sorry - that sunrise at sea - in person, with all senses activated, cannot be canned. 

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

With sufficient imagination you can do it all on your own - no need for a virtual cruising app  - or whatever.

Sorry - that sunrise at sea - in person, with all senses activated, cannot be canned. 

Correct,imagination is wonderful.How many great novels were written by people who had great imagination.

5 hours ago, mom says said:

5 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I think the OP forgot he had an identical thread not all that long ago.  😉

I do not recall starting a similiar thread.However,there are hundreds of duplicate subject threads all over CC.Within the past 5 minutes a thread was started by someone who started an identical thread recently.

I remember a previous one too, and I'm certain I made an absolutely brilliant comment!  😄

When I read this (or that other one) my first thought (which would be my second thought now) was you were referring to those virtual reality goggles.  Those are pretty Cool. 

Anyway, If I could remember everything I forgot, well I wouldn't know the difference I guess.   😄

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I remember a previous one too, and I'm certain I made an absolutely brilliant comment!  😄

When I read this (or that other one) my first thought (which would be my second thought now) was you were referring to those virtual reality goggles.  Those are pretty Cool. 

Anyway, If I could remember everything I forgot, well I wouldn't know the difference I guess.   😄

Virtual reality goggles ,correct.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Virtual cruises with everything that a real cruise could offer.

This is what you wrote in your OP. If this "experience" requires that you supplement it with your own imagination and creativity, then it isn't anywhere close to the real thing. Virtual, by its very definition means it isn't the same as the real thing. Merely a facsimile.  Now, find such a thing that can satisfy all of the senses, and not just sight and sound, then we'll  talk.

No,it is not the same but it is a lot better than wearing masks on a ship.

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. You've had imagination all your life. Why did you ever get on a ship? Plus, I thought you mentioned that your cruising days were over due to your other illnesses. Masks are a moot point, no?

Anyway, if you want to watch a screen, enjoy. But, no, it's not the same thing.

14 hours ago, mom says said:

This is what you wrote in your OP. If this "experience" requires that you supplement it with your own imagination and creativity, then it isn't anywhere close to the real thing. Virtual, by its very definition means it isn't the same as the real thing. Merely a facsimile.  Now, find such a thing that can satisfy all of the senses, and not just sight and sound, then we'll  talk.

You need imagination and then anything can become “real”.

12 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. You've had imagination all your life. Why did you ever get on a ship? Plus, I thought you mentioned that your cruising days were over due to your other illnesses. Masks are a moot point, no?

Anyway, if you want to watch a screen, enjoy. But, no, it's not the same thing.

As of now my cruising days are over but I still hope for a medical miracle .Several doctors have told me there is nothing that can be done for me.I have an I appointment next week with a doctor who treats people who have been told there is no hope for them.
I researched him .He has more positive patient reviews than anyone I have checked on.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You need imagination and then anything can become “real”.

I think a reality check may be in order, but if living in a fantasy world is your thing, then that's your choice. But i believe most adults know the difference from imagined and real.

Edited by mom says

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

I think a reality check may be in order, but if living in a fantasy world is your thing, then that's your choice. But i believe most adults know the difference from imagined and real.

Did you see virtual reality movies in the 70’s ? That is my point of reference.

Did you ever see any movies directed by Guillermo del Toro ? He is considered to be among the great Directors of all time.Most of his films are about an interaction between imagination and  reality.