The Cunard Cough

LewiLewi

We love Cunard. We have sailed many times on board all three vessels. We have been on two World Cruises in the past three years. However,  there is one thing that bothers us greatly. That is the “ Cunard Cough”. It appears to be continually present whenever we are in the theater for a lecture, movie or evening show. By the end of our 100 day cruise, practically everyone has been exposed and developed a bad cold, cough or more serious health issues. In this year of COVID-19, I am wondering if going forward, we should accept this as a given. Perhaps at this time Cunard can establish new health regulations requiring those with infectious diseases “the common cold and cough is an infectious disease”, to either absent themselves from public areas or wear a mask to contain the virus. 

How do my fellow cruisers weigh in on this issue?

44 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

Cunard can establish new health regulations requiring those with infectious diseases “the common cold and cough is an infectious disease”, to either absent themselves from public areas or wear a mask to contain the virus. 

How do my fellow cruisers weigh in on this issue?

If you permanently ban people with the common cold you can finally close down all cruise lines - and many more businesses.

On average every person has three to four common colds every year. Thus if everybody on a roughly 100 day cruise had one, it just is very much the statistic average.

• Like 2

I do believe the Cunard cough was discussed many moons ago and many thought it was down to the very dry air conditioning. I haven't cruised with Cunard for a few years, but all we did was leave the top off the ice bucket, assuming they still have these 🙂 ,  and that seemed to help.

I have had a chronic cough for over 20 years due to nerve damage in my throat caused by a virus.  I am already very aware of the looks I get...I have contemplated wearing a button saying I do not have an infectious disease...lol!  My cruising days would be over if anyone with a cough was banned.  

You could replace "Cunard" with any cruise line as coughs are a regular and common thing on many cruise ships. Perhaps as well as making them wear masks you might suggest to reception that they paint red crosses on all of affected stateroom doors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t think it’s a Cunard thing. It’s on every cruise line I’ve sailed on, as well as public places on land. Interestingly, my last cruise was on Holland America last February (right before the shutdown) and we already knew that there was a new virus roaming around, so I was hyper vigilant of anybody coughing from the moment we were standing in line to check in. I swear I didn’t hear a single person cough during the entire cruise. I think everybody was very self conscious and was doing their best not to cough in public. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

My point of view is this: what was tolerated and usual in the days preCovid should be re-examined today. Hand sanitizing should become mandatory when entering a dining room and I feel that mask wearing in the theater and public rooms should become mandatory if a person is coughing. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

My point of view is this: what was tolerated and usual in the days preCovid should be re-examined today. Hand sanitizing should become mandatory when entering a dining room and I feel that mask wearing in the theater and public rooms should become mandatory if a person is coughing. 

Whilst I agree that hand sanitising should be compulsory before entering any restaurant whether it be MDR or buffet I also think hand sanitiser should be compulsory at the bottom of the gangway prior to entering the ship at every port of call and have thought this for many years way before Covid. But I do not agree that everyone who has a cough or perhaps coughs occasionally, how is it to be monitored, should be made to wear a face mask in theatres or public rooms.

• Like 3

One useful tip is to get the pneumococcal jab - the jab protects against between 13 and 23 of the most common strains of chest infection. It is a once only jab and does not need boosters. Might be worth considering ahead of future cruises - not related to coronavirus vaccines currently being developed, but for the common chest infections, which might explain some of the Cunard coughs it could protect you.

16 hours ago, stoogesmom said:

I have had a chronic cough for over 20 years due to nerve damage in my throat caused by a virus.  I am already very aware of the looks I get...I have contemplated wearing a button saying I do not have an infectious disease...lol!  My cruising days would be over if anyone with a cough was banned.  

I have a hiatus hernia and as a by product of this I sometimes have to cough to ease the discomfort.  Unfortunately when I say cough, I really mean cough with a vengeance.  If it was an Olympic sport I believe I would be a gold medal winner!!!  In this new norm I am more aware than ever that if I was to have a very public coughing fit people would probably run a mile.  Always dread having such an attack whilst on the ship.  I know my cough is not infectious but the person sitting next to me doesn't!!! 

On 9/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, carlmm said:

If you permanently ban people with the common cold you can finally close down all cruise lines - and many more businesses.

On average every person has three to four common colds every year. Thus if everybody on a roughly 100 day cruise had one, it just is very much the statistic average.

I must be below average, as I've had three colds in the last five years.

All of them caught on cruise ships ( not on Cunard vessels)

A cruise ship is the ideal environment for the spread of viruses, unfortunately. 

With regard to enhanced health protocols I really hope Cunard  finally do something constructive to prevent people refilling personal water bottles directly from the water dispensers in the buffet.  So many times I have seen people ramming the (presumably) saliva covered neck of their bottles up against the dispenser’s spout  - in the future this cannot possibly be allowed.

• Like 3

We have not caught the Cunard cough or any other infection in the last 5 years.   We do get the flu shot every year and are careful about washing and sanitizing.   We will also move our seats in the theatre or bar if anyone close by is coughing or sneezing.   On our last trip someone in the bar was coughing but swore it was an allergy not a disease.   In the future I wouldn’t be surprised if masks are required if you have a cough.

I've gotten the "Cunard Cough" more than once, after winter transatlantic crossings where the majority of time is spent indoors.  As much as I love the crossings, I always worry a little afterward and I get home if the dreaded Cunard Cough will rear its ugly head.  It doesn't always, and I take every precaution, but none the less it happens and it's very real.  Sometimes it's mild and other times its been a severe cold/cough that lasts a while (flu-like).    

7 hours ago, eroller said:

I've gotten the "Cunard Cough" more than once, after winter transatlantic crossings where the majority of time is spent indoors.  As much as I love the crossings, I always worry a little afterward and I get home if the dreaded Cunard Cough will rear its ugly head.  It doesn't always, and I take every precaution, but none the less it happens and it's very real.  Sometimes it's mild and other times its been a severe cold/cough that lasts a while (flu-like).    

That is the same with reference to any winter cruise on any cruise line when coughs/colds are rife in many locations at that time of year not just on a cruise ship.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

That is the same with reference to any winter cruise on any cruise line when coughs/colds are rife in many locations at that time of year not just on a cruise ship.

Perhaps for you.  I cruise and travel a lot.  To various countries, on various ships, at all times of the year.  The Cunard Cough is quite unique to Cunard, for me at least.  

I’m speaking solely from my own experience.  Yours may differ.  Respect that.  

3 minutes ago, eroller said:

Perhaps for you.  I cruise and travel a lot.  To various countries, on various ships, at all times of the year.  The Cunard Cough is quite unique to Cunard, for me at least.  

I’m speaking solely from my own experience.  Yours may differ.  Respect that.  

It is well known on P&O Cruises as Arcadia Cough and I am sure it is as well known on many other cruise lines and cannot be confined to any one ship or cruise line.

We have been on over 160 cruises; on most cruise lines. I started cruising in the 1960’s on Greek Line’s Queen Anna Maria, long since out of service. However, the Cunard Cough has been a unique experience for me. It has been consistently present on all of the Cunard cruise ships that we have sailed on. Sometimes we are lucky, and do not catch it, but more usually we do. Yes, we have heard occasional coughing on other ships, but not anywhere near the amount of coughing that is present on Cunard.

• Like 1

We really haven't experience the Cunard Cough for all the times we sailed on the QE2, QM2 and Caronia.

I know my DW experienced a slight virus on a TA back home after a QE2 Norway sailing. We did get rundown after all the touring we enjoyed Norway.

We also know that on our sailings, the AC is quite noticeable in many parts of the ship that is why my DW takes shawls or a jacket. But never experienced or know any of our CC friends catching the "Bug".......  

29 minutes ago, Cats2010 said:

On some ships one is shock frozen after boarding. I propose to dress/undress like an onion with seven skins. This helps to prevent catching a cold due to bad weather or too cold air conditions. 

Temperature is quite subjective though. I've been on a few trips on QE and QV where the dining room has been roasting hot and my husband has had sweat pouring down his face at dinner even though he's of a healthy weight and not wearing anything out of the ordinary. The warmer trips seem to be those with a higher age demographic but that might be a coincidence. 

• Like 3

My favourite cruise line is Cunard and I have never experienced such hot air temperatures as lastly explained. To the contrary, sometimes it has been a little cold with a draft from the air condition. In that case and when possible I just used the onion choice.

I can't find it subjective when there is a difference of about 20° C between outside and inside. Not only could high energy cost be prevented by the cruise line and the negative effect on the environment, but also on passengers' health. Who enjoys a cruise when he is ill?

On 9/16/2020 at 7:16 PM, LewiLewi said:

Agree, although hand sanitizing is not very effective, still better than nothing

Its not a virus, or contagious, and its not specific to Cunard. Its just a reaction to 24/7 aircon - particularly in your cabin. It drys out  the air and hence your throat. using a humidifier might help (if they are allowed) . It also  depends on where the cruise is.  Cruising to PNG from Sydney it was generally well over 90% humidity outside - so inside didn't get that dry and I didn't notice the cough - I usually  get it anywhere I spend too long in aircon. 

• Like 3