Where do you think the first US departing cruises will go?

SelectSys

14 minutes ago, iancal said:

The chances of US deciding to fly into Florida or California for a cruise are NIL.  Not a chance.

There are no cruises out of California.  We are still struggling with the pandemic.  But thanks for sharing that.     

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I don't think our governor will let ships sail from California too soon.....We still have a lot of things that are shut down....cruising isn't high on his list.

It would be incredible if cruising started before Disneyland.  I can't see it happen.  Governor's restrictions on theme parks seem discriminatory given that zoos and aquariums are open.

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Kind of a given that they won't go where they are not permitted!  I suspect Mexican Riviera will not be an issue from that standpoint.  Of course I'm just guessing.   

Mexico would take it on in a heart beat.  If anywhere has some level of "herd immunity" it's Mexico.  

23 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I think the cruising will be very local oriented. Some sea cruising, river cruising, maybe Dominica or something but not global cruising with in-land excursions in different countries and cities. My best guess would be local river cruises and some popular destination without leaving the ship 

Interesting call out on Dominica which is probably just about the poorest nation in the Caribbean.  I agree that cruising will be very locally oriented.  Issue for US ocean operator is dealing with the Jones Act requiring at least one foreign port. 

The private island may be the best opportunity as this provides a contained environment isolated from a nation's general public while also satisfyingly the Jones Act. 

11 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Interesting call out on Dominica which is probably just about the poorest nation in the Caribbean.  I agree that cruising will be very locally oriented.  Issue for US ocean operator is dealing with the Jones Act requiring at least one foreign port. 

The private island may be the best opportunity as this provides a contained environment isolated from a nation's general public while also satisfyingly the Jones Act. 

That should be the PVSA, not the Jones Act.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, iancal said:

The chances of US deciding to fly into Florida or California for a cruise are NIL.  Not a chance.

Good for you.  My flights and hotel are booked and I'm raring to go.  But I agree with you about CA, but that is because of the thing that can't be mentioned.

Personal choice is a wonderful thing.

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

That should be the PVSA, not the Jones Act.

Thanks.  I stand corrected. 

One more point in terms of cruising restarting cruising from Florida vs California.  Not only are all the private islands near Florida the COVID case trends suggest that Florida is in a better position to restart cruising before California. 

This seems surprising to me in that Florida has had substantially less controls than California. For example, Disney World is open and Disneyland is not.

Florida.JPG

California.JPG

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

RCI doesn't cruise out of California so that's why I don't either....I will always hope they might change their mind.

I used to love that 45-50 min drive to San Pedro.

They did cruise the Mexican Rivera from San Pedro for quite some time.  I took 2 RCI cruises from CA in the past.  I was very sad to see them leave and hope they return someday.   

I personally would like to see more cruises in the Sea of Cortez to additional Mexican ports.  A small attempt was made last year, but it would be great if one of the larger lines could make a business work out.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5015

Edited by SelectSys

According to the Carnival Cruise Line's  announcement  posted on its website last week, a gradual reopening is possible starting in November 2020, out of Port Canaveral and Miami, Fla.  I'm booked on Carnival Conquest for a Nov. 30, 2020 departure out of Miami, to Key West and Cozumel.  This cruise has not been canceled at this writing.  

On 9/29/2020 at 11:41 AM, Ashland said:

RCI doesn't cruise out of California so that's why I don't either....I will always hope they might change their mind.

I used to love that 45-50 min drive to San Pedro.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, SelectSys said:

They did cruise the Mexican Rivera from San Pedro for quite some time.  I took 2 RCI cruises from CA in the past.  I was very sad to see them leave and hope they return someday.   

Gosh, we had several RCI cruises out of San Pedro.  In fact our first cruise so many years ago was one of those.  We stopped doing Mexican Riviera cruises when the kids were out on their own.  But I didn't realize RCI no longer sailed out or S.Pedro.  When/why did that happen?  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Gosh, we had several RCI cruises out of San Pedro.  In fact our first cruise so many years ago was one of those.  We stopped doing Mexican Riviera cruises when the kids were out on their own.  But I didn't realize RCI no longer sailed out or S.Pedro.  When/why did that happen?  

RCI stopped their Mexican Riviera/Baja cruises from San Pedro in 2009.

H1N1 virus and violence in Mexico.

We cruised many times starting in the early 1990's with RCI...that's where/when

our addiction to cruising with RCI started :classic_wink:

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

RCI stopped their Mexican Riviera/Baja cruises from San Pedro in 2009.

H1N1 virus and violence in Mexico.

We cruised many times starting in the early 1990's with RCI...that's where/when

our addiction to cruising with RCI started :classic_wink:

Oh boy, how time flies.  Now that you mention it,  I do recall issues with "iffy" ports due to crime.   

Edited by ldubs

Since cruises are delayed until December now, it is up in the air. Delta is going to thrash Cozumel. Caymans are already closed through 2020. If I were to guess, only private islands now. The hope was Cozumel would be open, but the hurricane may change those plans. 

2 hours ago, SuSuTrav said:

Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Hawaii, all in the USA. 

These cruises just need one foreign port call to comply with current law.  Private islands in places like Haiti and the Bahamas and Mexico provide the best opportunities to satisfy this requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I had always thought Mexico would be an initial cruise destination.  Now this story suggests that RCCL might be coming back to the west coast for warm weather cruises.  I would certainly welcome them back!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5661/

My question is whether or not  can CA stop cruising unilaterally or is this a federal decision?  Our Governor is in no hurry to open any large group activities and my gut says he will try his best to stop cruising for the foreseeable future even though the ferries are running to Catalina.

Edited by SelectSys

My guess is that we will not see any cruising out of U.S. West Coast ports until the middle of 2021 at the earliest.  It sounds like plans are underway to try cruises out of Florida.  If those can be conducted safely (i.e. no Covid outbreaks) then other markets could start to reopen.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, SelectSys said:

I had always thought Mexico would be an initial cruise destination.  Now this story suggests that RCCL might be coming back to the west coast for warm weather cruises.  I would certainly welcome them back!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5661/

My question is whether or not  can CA stop cruising unilaterally or is this a federal decision?  Our Governor is in no hurry to open any large group activities and my gut says he will try his best to stop cruising for the foreseeable future even though the ferries are running to Catalina.

California has previously had much success in doing things unilaterally which has actually helped drive away some cruise lines and cruise opportunities.  When CA unilaterally implemented their low Sulphur rules it forced cruise lines to go switch over to less polluting (and more expensive fuel) when ships came within a few hundred miles of CA.  There were also continuous problems with the west coast's longshoreman union (they will not admit to this) which caused additional grief to all the cruise lines.  Throwing up roadblocks to an industry is not the way to attract more business.  

So, will CA change its stripes and seek more cruise business?  I doubt it since CA routinely capitulates to environmental groups several of whom have big problems with cruising and even commercial shipping.  Compare the west coast attitude to what has happened in Florida (where the government has actively courted the cruise industry) and it is easy to understand the continued expansion of cruising in Florida.  New facilities at the Port of Miami, Port Everglades, and Port Canaveral are pretty impressive while west coast facilities are shameful by comparison.

Hank

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

California has previously had much success in doing things unilaterally which has actually helped drive away some cruise lines and cruise opportunities.  When CA unilaterally implemented their low Sulphur rules it forced cruise lines to go switch over to less polluting (and more expensive fuel) when ships came within a few hundred miles of CA.  There were also continuous problems with the west coast's longshoreman union (they will not admit to this) which caused additional grief to all the cruise lines.  Throwing up roadblocks to an industry is not the way to attract more business.  

So, will CA change its stripes and seek more cruise business?  I doubt it since CA routinely capitulates to environmental groups several of whom have big problems with cruising and even commercial shipping.  Compare the west coast attitude to what has happened in Florida (where the government has actively courted the cruise industry) and it is easy to understand the continued expansion of cruising in Florida.  New facilities at the Port of Miami, Port Everglades, and Port Canaveral are pretty impressive while west coast facilities are shameful by comparison.

Hank

Of course, with the Caribbean’s many islands - compared with  limited short itinerary options from California ports -  as well as the tourist-based Florida economy, there is also rational for the difference between the two states’ attitude towards cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

California has previously had much success in doing things unilaterally which has actually helped drive away some cruise lines and cruise opportunities...Throwing up roadblocks to an industry is not the way to attract more business.  

So, will CA change its stripes and seek more cruise business?  I doubt it since CA routinely capitulates to environmental groups several of whom have big problems with cruising and even commercial shipping.  Compare the west coast attitude to what has happened in Florida (where the government has actively courted the cruise industry) 

I guess I tend to agree with you as long as CA maintains its current course.  CNBC ranks us as #50 in business friendliness (https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/top-states-for-business-california.html) and many stories have been written about companies large and small that have left the state.  It's not just cruising that has been impacted.

CA is also now requiring more ships to use shore power.  I am not sure how expensive this is for the cruise lines to call on CA ports.  I assume some costs will be added.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21964-california-to-propose-shorepower-rule-changes.html

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, with the Caribbean’s many islands - compared with  limited short itinerary options from California ports -  as well as the tourist-based Florida economy, there is also rational for the difference between the two states’ attitude towards cruising.

You are correct to some extent on the lack of ports for the 7 day cruise.  I think we could see more diversity of trips if the lines tried to incorporate more west coast ports.  Longer trips into the Sea of Cortez would  be great as well for nature lovers.