Ship Shore Excursions Required

Desert Cruisers

I am in cruising withdrawal.

I will follow all those restrictions and still go.

In fact - we have a Caribbean cruise booked for November of 2021 and I already have 7 shore excursions reserved out of the 10 stops.  And one of the remaining stops is Princess Cays so no excursion likely needed for that one.  The other  two stops I have plans for a do-it-yourself day - but can change those plans if needed.  By Nov 2021 hopefully cruise only excursions will no longer be necessary - but who really knows, and if so, we are already well set.

By the way - have a boatload of OBC for this cruise (pun intended), so all excursions are booked with OBC and have not had to put down a dime of real money to hold theses excursions.

Don

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Highlights of the core elements include:

• Testing. 100% testing of passengers and crew for COVID-19 prior to embarkation.
  • Mask-Wearing. Mandatory wearing of masks by all passengers and crew onboard and during excursions whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained
  • Distancing. Physical distancing in terminals, onboard ships, on private islands and during shore excursions
  • Medical Capability: Risk based response plans tailored for each ship to manage medical needs, dedicated cabin capacity allocated for isolation and other operational measures, and advance arrangements with private providers for shoreside quarantine, medical facilities, and transportation.
  • Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

Princess had a webinar with a TA Tuesday. When talking about new protocols, the above items were quoted exactly as what Princess would be doing.

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just had a thought. If one has to stay "within the bubble" of their tour group won't that preclude any beach excursions? How can one enjoy a day at the beach and still manage to only stay with a specific group? Sounds freaking insane to me. It would work for the Las Caletas excursion in Puerto Vallarta because it's a "closed group" type of beach excursion but most other places I just can't see how it would possibly work.

"The Healthy Sails Panel recommendations say a ban on self-guided excursions should be implemented “in the startup phase" of a resumption. Meanwhile, the panel suggests, cruise lines should consider ways to make sponsored excursions more appealing, such as “reconsidering” their cost and offering a wider variety of trips to private beach locations."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-cruise-industry-health-protocols-announced-20200922-3j5f2wwryveydp5nocdlcuehhq-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0FTvYr7yoJwOWvLgZ7bZFlYksJptu2axtKk0C1NCQcy3ULvBKplJsROwE

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just had a thought. If one has to stay "within the bubble" of their tour group won't that preclude any beach excursions? How can one enjoy a day at the beach and still manage to only stay with a specific group? Sounds freaking insane to me. It would work for the Las Caletas excursion in Puerto Vallarta because it's a "closed group" type of beach excursion but most other places I just can't see how it would possibly work.

Yes, they get you to a beach and have a specific area only for your group. And then all sweaty, you want to go in the water. "Sorry, there are other swimmers. You cannot go in the water." And if you defy them and go for a swim, you have left the group and will be kicked off the cruise!

The logistics of ship shore excursions for up to 2000 people in a few hours will be impossible! Restricted capacity  would necessitate hundreds of buses. If unable to use private tours or just roam the port, there would be many more using the ship tours than before..  

Also, tendering is going to be a problem. Most often it is a long and aggravating process in the best of times. With social distancing it will take all day to transport half of the passengers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully the type of restrictions proposed when cruising resumes will only be temporary, be it 6 months or 1 or 2 years.  No way I will cruise again with having to wear a mask onboard or only allowed to get off the ship in a ship-sponsored excursion.  We may just be looking at road trips here in the United States and see parts of our own beautiful country.  

• Like 2

We are taking a Canada cruse next year. My father was born in Sydney and I have family there. If they have only ship excursions, I will still take this cruise only  if there is an excursion to see Paul's family in Sydney Mines. If not I will take a land trip. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dfields1814 said:

We are taking a Canada cruse next year. My father was born in Sydney and I have family there. If they have only ship excursions, I will still take this cruise only  if there is an excursion to see Paul's family in Sydney Mines. If not I will take a land trip. 

The mitigation steps being discussed are to lift the "no sail order" from the CDC for ships in US waters.  There is no indication that these steps will be enough to persuade Canada to allow the ships in Canadian ports.  Nova Scotia is currently requiring that Canadians that do not live in a maritime province must self-isolate for 14 days upon visiting Nova Scotia.  The Maritime provinces have been lucky and have managed to keep their infection rates very low.

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

To get cruising going again, we would cruise with all the requirements and not get off the ship until it was time to go home!

I would do the same if it did not involve air travel and hotel bookings....and a ship that I liked.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I would do the same if it did not involve air travel and hotel bookings....and a ship that I liked.

That'easy for those of us that live in So. Cal. and of course the ship has to be one that you like...  BTW, we love the Royal and it should stay in San Pedro thru the spring.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Thrak said:

Some folks say "No problem, I'll just enjoy a relaxing day on the ship rather than going into port". I foresee a lot more people staying on the ship which will pretty much preclude that "relaxing day" on could normally have when choosing not to go ashore.

If the ship were made up entirely of CC members I'd agree with you, but CC represents a small fraction of the cruising population. Many passengers do ship excursions so the ship will still be less crowded.  And don't forget, the ships won't be at full capacity, so it will be no worse than a sea day but with half the usual number of passengers than what were used to.

Speaking of sea days, maybe crossings will become more popular.  The QM2 does them every week. 

The email I just got from my PVP states: "Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply."

This is not exactly only Princess excursions.  Or am I wrong?

https://cruising.org/en/news-and-research/press-room/2020/september/clia-and-its-cruise-line-members-announce-mandatory-core-elements-of-health-protocols

20 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess had a webinar with a TA Tuesday. When talking about new protocols, the above items were quoted exactly as what Princess would be doing.

But this one: 

• Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

seems a little (to say the least) ambiguous.  If Princess - or any other - were to provide a set of guidelines that passengers are expected to follow (the "prescribed protocols"), then it would seem to follow that passengers would be either free to book with approved independent tour excursion providers or even do a shopping walkabout or a taxi to a favorite beach.  After all, we are all used to shopping with masks and being socially distanced, etc., so no reason to think could not follow standards elsewhere - and might come to find those things are expected in ports by the locals. 

What I don't see is the enforcement.  Obviously, the cruise line would have no way to know nor enforce a couple heading off shopping or to a beach would follow all the expected protocols (whatever they all may be).  

Clearly some cruise lines will take the above and institute only their own excursions, but it isn't what the wording requires.

Also, even on ship excursion, these are run by local providers and folks have to have access to bathroom facilities and that is going to put them in potential contact with locals and other tourists as I doubt an entire facility would be blocked off, cleared, and cleaned for a tour group.

I think CLIA is just throwing everything at the wall in order to get the No Sail order lifted and they know that some of these things are just impossible to be perfectly covered for an entire journey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

The email I just got from my PVP states: "Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply."

This is not exactly only Princess excursions.  Or am I wrong?

https://cruising.org/en/news-and-research/press-room/2020/september/clia-and-its-cruise-line-members-announce-mandatory-core-elements-of-health-protocols

No - not wrong.  See my post just above.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Potstech said:

Tendering problem has an easy solution.  Do not go to ports that require it.

Try taking a Caribbean cruise on Princess and avoid Princess Cay or the newer one in the DR.  

I had not considered that problem before, but a half-filled ship using half-filled tenders would take about the same amount of time.  I would not even get off at P Cay - been there enough times already.

Moot point in a way for me as not going to Caribbean unless free to roam about each island.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

But this one: 

• Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

seems a little (to say the least) ambiguous.  If Princess - or any other - were to provide a set of guidelines that passengers are expected to follow (the "prescribed protocols"), then it would seem to follow that passengers would be either free to book with approved independent tour excursion providers or even do a shopping walkabout or a taxi to a favorite beach.  After all, we are all used to shopping with masks and being socially distanced, etc., so no reason to think could not follow standards elsewhere - and might come to find those things are expected in ports by the locals. 

What I don't see is the enforcement.  Obviously, the cruise line would have no way to know nor enforce a couple heading off shopping or to a beach would follow all the expected protocols (whatever they all may be).  

This post on the MSC board can answer some of the points you bring up:

As planned a couple of days ago, in Palermo, we took our only ship (like there were another choices...) excursion. So, here how it worked out. It was described as a three and a half walking tour of the city. On the ticket we found out that the meeting point was at the pier at 9:45 so five minutes earlier we reached the ship exit but we were stopped by an officer that told us it was not our turn yet(!?...) and left waiting in the hall were of course other people were already standing and more arriving since many had our same tour ticket. Ten minutes later we were allowed to exit and we noticed that on that deck as well, near the elevator, more people were standing waiting to be allowed to exit. We didn't think it was a smooth process, perhaps would be better to gather people for groups at theater or other ship halls as we are used than stop all people around the exit.

At the pier we met with our guide and collect headphones and receivers, we were 20 in our group. An MSC hostess went with us as well, she walked at the end of the group while the guide was at leading the group. During the tour we stopped at several sights and while the guide explained what we were looking at we could wander around, for instance the square we were at and take pictures, headphones worked very well, we could hear her at several meters of distance, the important was that we were always in sight. The times we are living in allow social distancing by default anyway, I'm sure those tourists' places would be crowded one year ago.

We went to the cathedral as well and it was the only monument we saw either outside than inside. Then we were offered a small cannolo and a bit of granita as a break, that we had standing outside the cathedral. Of course it was mandatory to always follow and stick to the plan and we were repeated several times we must wear properly the face mask, that is that it must cover nose and mouth, I saw at least a couple of time the MSC hostess approaching personally people of our group asking them to adjust their face mask, there is always someone that never learn, or do not want to. The other major rule you must follow during excursions is that you are not allowed to shop anywhere, the guide reminded us that a couple of time as well since there were people trying to sell us tourist stuff.

In the end the excursion lasts just over three hours, we were a bit tired since it was really hot but it was nice and we definitely would do it again, a good way to see a glimpse of a city for the first time.

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

As planned a couple of days ago, in Palermo, we took our only ship (like there were another choices...) excursion. So, here how it worked out. It was described as a three and a half walking tour of the city. On the ticket we found out that the meeting point was at the pier at 9:45 so five minutes earlier we reached the ship exit but we were stopped by an officer that told us it was not our turn yet(!?...) and left waiting in the hall were of course other people were already standing and more arriving since many had our same tour ticket. Ten minutes later we were allowed to exit and we noticed that on that deck as well, near the elevator, more people were standing waiting to be allowed to exit. We didn't think it was a smooth process, perhaps would be better to gather people for groups at theater or other ship halls as we are used than stop all people around the exit.

At the pier we met with our guide and collect headphones and receivers, we were 20 in our group. An MSC hostess went with us as well, she walked at the end of the group while the guide was at leading the group. During the tour we stopped at several sights and while the guide explained what we were looking at we could wander around, for instance the square we were at and take pictures, headphones worked very well, we could hear her at several meters of distance, the important was that we were always in sight. The times we are living in allow social distancing by default anyway, I'm sure those tourists' places would be crowded one year ago.

We went to the cathedral as well and it was the only monument we saw either outside than inside. Then we were offered a small cannolo and a bit of granita as a break, that we had standing outside the cathedral. Of course it was mandatory to always follow and stick to the plan and we were repeated several times we must wear properly the face mask, that is that it must cover nose and mouth, I saw at least a couple of time the MSC hostess approaching personally people of our group asking them to adjust their face mask, there is always someone that never learn, or do not want to. The other major rule you must follow during excursions is that you are not allowed to shop anywhere, the guide reminded us that a couple of time as well since there were people trying to sell us tourist stuff.

In the end the excursion lasts just over three hours, we were a bit tired since it was really hot but it was nice and we definitely would do it again, a good way to see a glimpse of a city for the first time.

Thanks for the info, but my point was that the CLIA wording doesn't require ship-only excursions by the wording used.  Sure, the ship can send a rep with their tours, but can they send a rep with other providers, or send one in a taxi with passengers?  Not likely.  Anyway, it is about the guideline as written.

In the story you posted, it was mentioned about the ship's "enforcer" going after people about masks.  Although the writer did not specifically say where, it seems most of this tour was walking about outdoors and there is no real reason to have to wear a mask outdoors, so this seems another unreasonable imposition on passengers who will be expected to wear masks indoors on the ship.  I think I have seen wording to effect that masks would not be required on the open decks. 

If what I read in the story you posted is what Princess is going to do, then I am not cruising until things change to more normal.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for the info, but my point was that the CLIA wording doesn't require ship-only excursions by the wording used.  Sure, the ship can send a rep with their tours, but can they send a rep with other providers, or send one in a taxi with passengers?  Not likely.  Anyway, it is about the guideline as written.

Theoretically the cruise line will verify that their tour providers guides and drivers are well tested for Covid-19 as well as any vehicles used for tours properly disinfected.

I just do not seeing a cruise line doing the same for independent tour vendors as well as any taxi-cab drivers. And, as you point out, Princess would not send a rep with you on an independent tour or in a taxi.

Also, as you can see in the MSC report, no shopping experience at all.

Of course I would expect these restrictions to be temporary for an unknown period of time until destination countries are confident that passengers are not bringing the virus on shore and the cruise line is confident that local control of the virus is to the point that the local population cannot give it to passengers.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Might as well go on an escorted land tour.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Try taking a Caribbean cruise on Princess and avoid Princess Cay or the newer one in the DR.  

I had not considered that problem before, but a half-filled ship using half-filled tenders would take about the same amount of time.  I would not even get off at P Cay - been there enough times already.

Moot point in a way for me as not going to Caribbean unless free to roam about each island.

I would have no problem missing Princess Cay at all.

One problem with the half full ship claim is, will they really book only half the cabins?  I do not see this happening. They need to recoup their losses asap. Unless they are mandated to sail at 50% capacity they will not!