NZ by Princess cruise or land tour?

drsel

26 minutes ago, drsel said:
41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:
You're dreaming! There is no way Australia will be open to international visitors by then. Try 2022.

What will happen to all the Princess and Carnival cruises from March to May 2021?

If they run they will probably be restricted to people in the travel bubble which at the moment realistically will be with NZ and/or some Pacific Islands. We may branch out to some Asian countries like Vietnam, South Korea or Taiwan (though unfortunately with Taiwan there is politics with China to consider🙄) but those things will happen in very small steps. You have to remember not all our state borders are even open and it is already October so internationally it will take longer. Plus the cruise ships will have to be preped for cruising which in itself will take time. It seems unlikely everything will be ready by March. 

28 minutes ago, drsel said:

From Gold coast, we can do 3 theme parks and day trips to Byron bay, Brisbane, Currumbin and Tangalooma

Day trips from the GC to Byron Bay, Brisbane and Tangalooma would not work well unless you drive yourself. I still think too much of your time would be spent on the highway. Boring ☹️. I live in Brisbane. If I wanted to go to the Gold Coast I would allow 1.5 hours to drive each way to reach the northern part of the Coast, but it can take 2.5 hours sometimes because of traffic.

42 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Day trips from the GC to Byron Bay, Brisbane and Tangalooma would not work well unless you drive yourself. I still think too much of your time would be spent on the highway. Boring ☹️. I live in Brisbane. If I wanted to go to the Gold Coast I would allow 1.5 hours to drive each way to reach the northern part of the Coast, but it can take 2.5 hours sometimes because of traffic.

Even with an organised tour I do still think Byron Bay is best experienced by staying at least one night🤗

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

Even with an organised tour I do still think Byron Bay is best experienced by staying at least one night🤗

For someone on a fairly brief visit to Australia, I don't think Byron Bay ranks with other places in Australia as a 'must see'. It doesn't compare with Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree World Heritage rainforest, Uluru, Kata Tjuta and the Alice Springs area. If the visitor is going to go to the Gold Coast, they are going to see some of our superb beaches and they don't have to drive a few hours to see one more.

I remember a couple of decades ago when thousands of Japanese tourists visited Australia for one week, flying from one part of the country to the next. They went to the Gold Coast, Cairns (or Port Douglas) to visit the reef, and to central Australia to see Uluru. These were the three areas that were judged the highlights for an overseas visitor. I tend to agree, but I would add Sydney for its magnificent harbour and the Opera House. However, in their seven days, they couldn't include Sydney. 😁

• Like 1

Most organised group tours include Cairns, Gold coast, Sydney and Melbourne and some add Ayers Rock also.
Movie world, Sea world, Dream world, Tangalooma, Currumbin, Blue mountains, 12 apostles drive, Jenolan caves are all done as day trips from these main cities

11 minutes ago, drsel said:

Most organised group tours include Cairns, Gold coast, Sydney and Melbourne and some add Ayers Rock also.
Movie world, Sea world, Dream world, Tangalooma, Currumbin, Blue mountains, 12 apostles drive, Jenolan caves are all done as day trips from these main cities

The sights that organised tour groups go to give you an idea of what the professionals feel are the "must see" sights in Aust. From Sydney - Blue mountains/Jenolan Caves (one day) plus Sydney itself.

The Great Ocean Road (Twelve Apostles drive) is a full day from Melbourne.

From Cairns or Port Douglas, you can visit the Reef, the Daintree World Heritage listed rainforest, and maybe go to the Atherton Tableland (I put that one third).

Organised tours usually have two or three nights in the one accommodation. There are a few reasons - people find it more appealing to go back to the same accommodation and for the tour organiser, they can get a much cheaper price on the accommodation if the group stays multiple nights. That does not necessarily apply to an individual person booking accommodation. Not long ago I was trying to find accommodation for my daughter's family when she needed to spend three or four nights a week at the Gold Coast. All accommodation was priced 'per night' and it was no cheaper per night to stay for three or four nights.

Edited by Aus Traveller

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

For someone on a fairly brief visit to Australia, I don't think Byron Bay ranks with other places in Australia as a 'must see'. 

To be honest I don't put much stock in must see lists. It comes down to what people are interested in. The OP has stated their interest in theme parks even though most posters don't get why you would come to Australia for that. It just is what the OP clearly enjoys. In some ways being a short trip makes it more crucial that you visit the sights that fascinate you than what some list tells you to be interested in after all if you are here are short time it should be doing the things you love🤗

36 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be honest I don't put much stock in must see lists. It comes down to what people are interested in. The OP has stated their interest in theme parks even though most posters don't get why you would come to Australia for that. It just is what the OP clearly enjoys. In some ways being a short trip makes it more crucial that you visit the sights that fascinate you than what some list tells you to be interested in after all if you are here are short time it should be doing the things you love🤗

If theme parks fascinate them, then they should visit them all. Agreed 🙂I just don't see the point in a long drive to Byron Bay when it does not have anything more to offer than the beaches they will have seen on the Gold Coast.

Yes, if people enjoy theme parks it can be interesting visiting them in other countries.

I think drsel needs to do some serious research on how to get around in places like the Gold Coast. Isn't there a light rail / tram there now? Does it go anywhere useful? If not, they'll either need a car or be prepared to spend a lot of money on taxis or Uber.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, if people enjoy theme parks it can be interesting visiting them in other countries.

I think drsel needs to do some serious research on how to get around in places like the Gold Coast. Isn't there a light rail / tram there now? Does it go anywhere useful? If not, they'll either need a car or be prepared to spend a lot of money on taxis or Uber.

I think the light rail goes very close to the three theme parks close together - it starts at Broadbeach. There is a bus to Sea World from Surfers Paradise.

Leigh

If theme parks fascinate them, then they should visit them all. Agreed [emoji846]I just don't see the point in a long drive to Byron Bay when it does not have anything more to offer than the beaches they will have seen on the Gold Coast.
Thanks, so we shall skip both Sunshine coast and Byron bay.
I agree both are not worth the long drives.

We would definitely prefer to budget and use public transport.I heard that taxis and Uber in Australia are the most expensive in the world!

there is also an article which ranks the most expensive countries in the world for tourists..

guess which is world number one?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/12-of-the-most-expensive-countries-to-travel-to.html

3 hours ago, drsel said:

We would definitely prefer to budget and use public transport.I heard that taxis and Uber in Australia are the most expensive in the world!

there is also an article which ranks the most expensive countries in the world for tourists..

guess which is world number one?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/12-of-the-most-expensive-countries-to-travel-to.html

I think World Atlas is a little confused. I looked at the referenced study and Sydney Australia is ranked 23 not number 1😂:

2020’s most expensive holiday destinations in the world

Hoppa's study is more in line with my experience. Iceland and Norway were much more expensive than any trip I've done in Australia, though Denmark I am surprised my experience it was pretty average price for Europe and cheaper than Australia🤔.

If you plan on using public transport in Australia you will have to do a bit of research as our public transport is not the most comprehensive, on weekends less is available and for trains in Sydney there is frequent trackwork interruptions. There is a lot of places public transport will not get you. Google maps is actually pretty good at calculating routes with public transport in Australia so I suggest using that for planning. For Sydney this information should be helpful:

Best ways for visitors to pay

If you are looking to save money I suggest using the Sydney Ferries instead of a harbour cruise. It will give you the same views for a fraction of the cost. The most scenic routes would be Cross Harbour and the ferry to Manly

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, drsel said:

All this if my cruises in April and May are not cancelled.
considering how expensive Australia is, the Carnival Cruises from Sydney and Brisbane are ridiculously cheap

Australia is as expensive as you make it. Since you are doing theme parks and organised day tours it is going to up the price not to mention all the flying around. Unfortunately post Covid-19 domestic flight prices will most likely go up.

For the theme parks I would check out the website Groupon. From time to time the theme parks will sell vouchers for discounted tickets just make sure they are valid for the time of your travel. I've managed to get some pretty decent deals off them before.

Despite the reputation there are plenty of tasty cheap eats around Australia so food doesn't have to be necessarily expensive but generally you have to avoid eating directly on the tourist strip. Even a few streets away can make a difference in price.

One thing tourists in Sydney do to save on accommodation is to stay somewhere in the suburbs but near a train station on a line with a direct route into the city. You got lots of time to research so you should be able to find lots of tips and tricks to save money😉

Thanks. I am an expert on saving money sightseeing on a budget in Western Europe, USA and southeast Asia.

Also, grabbing the best Cruise deals below 100 US dollars per person per night.

So that we can afford to do many Cruises, as many as possible!

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

Although we don't do couchsurfing or air bnb, we avoid expensive restaurants and prefer to eat street food which is quite cheap

Just to clarify there are hotels /motels in the suburbs. It is not just couch surfing and airbnbs (though that is pretty big business in Sydney these days). We don't really have street food and for Sydney at least food trucks are not that common. But we do have a lot of what you would call hole in the wall eateries. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drsel said:

All this if my cruises in April and May are not cancelled.
considering how expensive Australia is, the Carnival Cruises from Sydney and Brisbane are ridiculously cheap

This is because they are probably not going to sail at this time.  We booked a South Pacific Cruise for August at $300 each.  Knew it was probably not going but took a chance at that price.  Carnival has our money, we have cruise credits if they ever sail again.

For Gold Coast I suggest booking accomodation near tram/light rail and further south from Surfers Paradise.  Burleigh us one of the best beaches on the coast.

• Like 1

I must agreed.. flying half way round the world and trying to do a short tour of Australia... is hard

It is like a tour of Tasmania   some do the whole state in 3 days... where i say 2-3 weeks to see it all..

You are picking the eyes out...... so one must decided  what you really want to see and spend your time at though places....     just a thought...... cheers Don

9 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I must agreed.. flying half way round the world and trying to do a short tour of Australia... is hard

It is like a tour of Tasmania   some do the whole state in 3 days... where i say 2-3 weeks to see it all..

You are picking the eyes out...... so one must decided  what you really want to see and spend your time at though places....     just a thought...... cheers Don

2 or 3 weeks isn’t enough for Taswegia.

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Just to clarify there are hotels /motels in the suburbs. It is not just couch surfing and airbnbs (though that is pretty big business in Sydney these days). We don't really have street food and for Sydney at least food trucks are not that common. But we do have a lot of what you would call hole in the wall eateries. 

And you could always seek out a Bunnings snag sizzle in the suburbs..1444112249_th(3).jpg.8916e97c1aa78bd9bd929bb4023e77a2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I have done a 10 day fly/drive to Tasweiga on 3 occasions over the past 20 years, I reckon I have seen a lot of ye olde Apple Isle in a total of about 30 road trip days, Lovely island it is.  Being a foodie and wine buff, I find it most appealing.

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

So far only 28 weeks of driving round tassie since 2008.....

will get back there after all the boarder rigmarole and hullabaloo is over

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have done a 10 day fly/drive to Tasweiga on 3 occasions over the past 20 years, I reckon I have seen a lot of ye olde Apple Isle in a total of about 30 road trip days, Lovely island it is.  Being a foodie and wine buff, I find it most appealing.

Some lovely places there Les....  food   say no more.... I remember one time on Bruny Island.. we decided to go and pick up lunch about 120km later... we had   a rather nice pinot,, smoked salmon,

salmon rillette  oysters, cheese and  fresh bread  all local.... and a great lunch was had

Cheers Don

• Like 1