Who Will Book For 2022

janny444

10 minutes ago, Britboys said:

You and I are in similar circumstances Jean, particularly in respect of choosing to cruise in inside cabins. That makes Saga a very expensive proposition. I do however agree with Wowzz that if you normally have a balcony and enjoy a few tipples across the day, then Saga start to look reasonable value for a higher quality product.

I'd love to try the new Saga (my one cruise on Saga Ruby was fabulous) but a 14 night cruise with them would probably be at least double what I pay for a 19 night one with P&O on Aurora or Arcadia. 

If my memory serves me right,  you are a solo traveller, in which case I totally agree with you, that Saga is expensive for lone cruisers,  especially as they only have balcony cabins.

However, I assume they have done their market research and determined that there are enough solo cruisers our there who will pay the premium for solo balcony cabins. After all, they only need about 200 single passengers a week, and they will then have filled their single cabins.

Edited by wowzz

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If my memory serves me right,  you are a solo traveller, in which case I totally agree with you, that Saga is expensive for lone cruisers,  especially as they only have balcony cabins.

However, I assume they have done their market research and determined that there are enough solo cruisers our there who will pay the premium for solo balcony cabins. After all, they only need about 200 single passengers a week, and they will then have filled their single cabins.

I generally sail solo on P&O but in many years am lucky enough to do two cruises, when one of those is with a cruise buddy. The balcony issue is, I think, the main issue that really ups the price. As you will have seen above, the cruise I should have been on this month on Aurora was £2400 for 18 nights in an inside cabin. If I had booked 2 years ahead at launch, I would probably have paid even less than that. I generally arrange my own excursions, often using public transport etc. I doubt my general on-board spend would be more than £500 and I would have £150 shareholder benefit. Thus, Saga would be considerably more expensive, albeit for a higher quality in most respects.

As you say, Saga must have done some research but I do know they have alienated some of their longstanding pax with the significant price increases for the new product.

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

As you say, Saga must have done some research but I do know they have alienated some of their longstanding pax with the significant price increases for the new product.

I think Saga decided that it was worth the risk in alienating their traditional clientele,  because otherwise the brand would have died on its feet.

Without being callous, upsetting an ageing cruise group, but attracting a younger more affluent customer base, is a no brainer.   

Certainly the social media pages for the two new ships are full of positivity. Let's hope Saga get  through the pandemic intact - it must be a bit touch and go at present.

Edited by wowzz

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

You and I are in similar circumstances Jean, particularly in respect of choosing to cruise in inside cabins. That makes Saga a very expensive proposition. I do however agree with Wowzz that if you normally have a balcony and enjoy a few tipples across the day, then Saga start to look reasonable value for a higher quality product.

I'd love to try the new Saga (my one cruise on Saga Ruby was fabulous) but a 14 night cruise with them would probably be at least double what I pay for a 19 night one with P&O on Aurora or Arcadia. 

We too mostly go for inside cabins.  However, as a result of this thread I had a look at Saga prices, and for double occupancy of a balcony they do seem tempting for a special treat.

I've finally admitted it. I'm possibly thinking about a trip with Saga!

Actually my mum did lots of land holidays with Saga, she loved their product.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We too mostly go for inside cabins.  However, as a result of this thread I had a look at Saga prices, and for double occupancy of a balcony they do seem tempting for a special treat.

Our two future cruises with them are special treats to mark significant dates. My worry is that we will not want to return to the likes of P&O afterwards!

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Me too! We usually have an inside cabin though occasionally have a balcony but some of the Saga itineraries look interesting on what appear to be smaller modern ships so we are considering having fewer cruises but opting  for a balcony on Saga or possibly Azamara or Oceania, whilst still keeping in mind our usual first choices of P and O or Princess.

Edited by ann141

16 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Me too! We usually have an inside cabin though occasionally have a balcony but some of the Saga itineraries look interesting on what appear to be smaller modern ships so we are considering having fewer cruises but opting  for a balcony on Saga or possibly Azamara or Oceania, whilst still keeping in mind our usual first choices of P and O or Princess.

If we  cruise again Saga is certainly a possibility has we don't fancy flying to join a cruise a anymore.

If you cruise Azamara it will spoil you for other lines, it did us but I suspect we had the best of days with them when prices were more reasonable

Edited by Bloodaxe

I always find it rather " strange" how a subject title can meander around and end up somewhere completely different...bit like a cruise!  It does seem that quite a few of us are going to commit to 2022 cruises but not just with P&O. In fact Saga has received some " free advertising" and has made me look at Saga too but at this point ..only look....prices are a bit...phew....but the thought is there planted in the back of my mind ....so maybe....just maybe. I am not a " dedicated" P&O cruiser....we have cruised with different cruise lines and for us have enjoyed them every bit as much....except for one cruise line ...so will see what P&O prices are like at launch then consider deposits/itineraries see how all that fits together and then make a decision.  

Saga are obviously very busy with taking booking from ex P&O cruisers I filled in the details online for a cruise brochure for 2022 on their website very impressively within 2 days but unfortunately was for 2021 land based Europe holidays and never received cruise brochure.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Saga are obviously very busy with taking booking from ex P&O cruisers I filled in the details online for a cruise brochure for 2022 on their website very impressively within 2 days but unfortunately was for 2021 land based Europe holidays and never received cruise brochure.

That's unusual. Once you get on the Saga mailing list you normally can never stop the blessed brochures coming through your door.

Mind you, who needs brochures these days?

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

That's unusual. Once you get on the Saga mailing list you normally can never stop the blessed brochures coming through your door.

Mind you, who needs brochures these days?

I am more likely to persuade my hubby to book a cruise if I show him a brochure or leave it around strategically placed than if I ask him to look at something on the website!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Have just read in the latest update from my TA that P&O have extended the date for customers to request their unused FCC be converted into a cash refund from 30th Nov 2020 up to 30th April 2021.

Thanks for that. 

I'm trying to understand why they would do that?I 'm thinking that they hope people will move their FCC to cruises in the new brochure, thus helping cash flow.

Is it also an indication that cruising is not likely to resume until late 2021?

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for that. 

I'm trying to understand why they would do that?I 'm thinking that they hope people will move their FCC to cruises in the new brochure, thus helping cash flow.

To give people the time to consider using a FCC that have only recently had their cruises cancelled in the last group. If they didnt extend the time past 30th Nov it wouldnt give them the chance to take all things into consideration before deciding what to do and also gives those latest cancellations a greater choice from new brochure at more realistic prices. Also P&O might not want many more to book for 2021 because of going over the limit of possible reduced capacity enforced in the new rules so they wouldnt have to cancel peoples cruises on overbooked ones.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for that. 

If they are still offering 5% deposits then I doubt that having passengers use their FCCs will improve their cash flow.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:47 PM, wowzz said:

I think Saga decided that it was worth the risk in alienating their traditional clientele,  because otherwise the brand would have died on its feet.

Without being callous, upsetting an ageing cruise group, but attracting a younger more affluent customer base, is a no brainer.   

Certainly the social media pages for the two new ships are full of positivity. Let's hope Saga get  through the pandemic intact - it must be a bit touch and go at present.

But it is not just age-related, it is also income/asset related. Saga seem to be aligning themselves with Viking/Azamara/Oceania price-wise. Those brands are much more multi-national, drawing custom from all over Europe and North America. Saga are drawing from a much smaller pool.

I really do wish them well as it is a good product and one I would love to sample some time. It is a gamble for them however. Maybe prices will come down a little after both ships have bedded in and cruising is back to normal.

17 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Have just read in the latest update from my TA that P&O have extended the date for customers to request their unused FCC be converted into a cash refund from 30th Nov 2020 up to 30th April 2021.

converted into a cash refund?  Where did you read that?  I have FCC that has to be used by December 2021, but I didn't know I could get cash?

This is what it says

All guests with a holiday cancelled due to our extended pause will automatically receive a 125% FCC. This can be used on any new booking made before 31 December 2021 for any holiday on sale during that period.

We are also offering a 5% deposit◇ for new bookings made between 4 August and 30 November 2020. The 5% deposit is available on applicable Early Saver and Select Price holidays of 19 nights or fewer sailing before April 2022.

Edited by jeanlyon

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

converted into a cash refund?  Where did you read that?  I have FCC that has to be used by December 2021, but I didn't know I could get cash?

This is what it says

All guests with a holiday cancelled due to our extended pause will automatically receive a 125% FCC. This can be used on any new booking made before 31 December 2021 for any holiday on sale during that period.

We are also offering a 5% deposit◇ for new bookings made between 4 August and 30 November 2020. The 5% deposit is available on applicable Early Saver and Select Price holidays of 19 nights or fewer sailing before April 2022.

My Derbyshire TA send out a monthly newsletter and it was in that, currently you have to request a refund d by 30th Nov 2020.

Edited by terrierjohn

John is that true if you have already taken an FCC?  I did request a refund via the webform for the same cruise that they have given me an FCC for, but I took the FCC before they cancelled the cruise.

Edited by jeanlyon

18 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But it is not just age-related, it is also income/asset related. Saga seem to be aligning themselves with Viking/Azamara/Oceania price-wise. Those brands are much more multi-national, drawing custom from all over Europe and North America. Saga are drawing from a much smaller pool.

I really do wish them well as it is a good product and one I would love to sample some time. It is a gamble for them however. Maybe prices will come down a little after both ships have bedded in and cruising is back to normal.

Indeed, and Saga's pool is even smaller due to their age restriction.

• Like 1