Who Will Book For 2022

janny444

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

There has been a lot of complaints to Ofcom about the ITV programme This Morning and Simon Calder recommending the English to travel to Mid Wales at half term as this is not under lockdown where there are 16 areas in South Wales and North Wales are under local lockdown and even they cannot travel to Mid Wales.

That is true.  People in the lockdown areas of Wales can travel and even stay in a hotel in their own county, but cannot cross to another Welsh area without good reason.  Probally a good place to go as will be quite quiet and peaceful.

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Yes, people living in Wrexham or Denbighshire can’t travel to North West Wales but folk from Liverpool or Manchester can travel through those counties to get to North West Wales. 

I imagine the hotel, B&B pub and restaurant trade in mid Wales would be more than happy to see a few Liverpudlians in the  circumatances.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I imagine the hotel, B&B pub and restaurant trade in mid Wales would be more than happy to see a few Liverpudlians in the  circumatances.

Possibly, possibly not. I don't know. But I do know that it doesn't make sense that people from restricted areas in England can still travel 100+ miles via Conwy and Denbighshire to say Ynys Môn but that residents of those Welsh counties can't.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Possibly, possibly not. I don't know. But I do know that it doesn't make sense that people from restricted areas in England can still travel 100+ miles via Conwy and Denbighshire to say Ynys Môn but that residents of those Welsh counties can't.  

That's devolution for you!  However it is quite likely that other federal countries like Germany and USA would experience the same sort of anomalies, as individual states exercise their autonomy, it's something we will need to get used to if the UK remains intact.  Then maybe we can look forward to Greater Yorkshire gaining devolution and making up our own rules.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That's devolution for you!  However it is quite likely that other federal countries like Germany and USA would experience the same sort of anomalies, as individual states exercise their autonomy, it's something we will need to get used to if the UK remains intact.  Then maybe we can look forward to Greater Yorkshire gaining devolution and making up our own rules.

Exactly, and the Welsh Government are spot on this time. I just wish Boris would do the same.

reading the Beeb today, Wales are now considering closing all pubs!  That will be our trip cancelled then, as we are staying in Inns and similar.

On another topic, just looked at my 2 cruises in 2021 and simply cannot believe the prices!  We paid £1350 each for an inside for October 2021.  Current price is £3099 each.  The new 2022 brochure will be interesting!

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

reading the Beeb today, Wales are now considering closing all pubs!  That will be our trip cancelled then, as we are staying in Inns and similar.

On another topic, just looked at my 2 cruises in 2021 and simply cannot believe the prices!  We paid £1350 each for an inside for October 2021.  Current price is £3099 each.  The new 2022 brochure will be interesting!

I didn't have my usual late Summer/Autumn cruise booked for next year Jean as I was due to do the World Cruise Sector. I have however compared the cruise I was due to do this month with what is available for next year. I was paying approximately £2400 for sole occupancy of a mid-category inside double on Aurora. A very similar itinerary on Arcadia next October in the cheapest inside is now just over £3800. That is a 19 night Western Med, which is what I was doing.  Aurora is doing a 19 night Eastern Med at the same time and the cheapest inside for a solo on that is just over £4900! 

50 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We switched our January 21 cruise to a March 22 cruise as recently as July this year, and the price for our balcony cabin has increased by £500 each. 

If the 2022 brochure prices remain at that sort of level, I would think P&O will struggle to fill their ships, especially with Iona on the scene.

Yes agree.  If they are that price, I won't even be using my FCC, will just leave it on the account.  As I don't expect to be doing my April 2021 cruise either, then we just lose the £50 deposit.   So be it.  The way I see it, I haven't spent £5K in 2020, so losing £100 is hardly a problem.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

A similar situation with ours. Arcadia, October 2021, 19 nights outside cabin was £1351pp, now £2349pp. I thought ours was a bit of a hike, but yours Jean, well I'm stunned. I was hoping to find a Baltic cruise for 2022, but at these price rises I'll be lucky if it's a quick hop to Zeebrugge.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 1

Has anyone thought that some of the eye watering prices currently available are P&Os way to deter people from booking so they can keep number of guests low to appease the authorities when they are allowed to cruise. That way they then will not have the task of cancelling peoples cruises  that have been booked some considerable time. My 19nt cruise on Arcadia in August is one cruise that has increased considerably since we booked an inside cabin in October 2019. Would be very happy if they cancelled my cruise and gave me suitable recompense and free upgrade for a cruise in 2022.

At the risk of being boring, as I have said before, if you want a balcony cabin, and like a few drinks, the Saga prices available for most 2022 cruises are more attractive than P&O 2021 cruises.

It will be interesting to see at what level P&O pitch their 2022 prices.  Saga may have stolen a march on P&O by already selling their 2022 cruises,  with a healthy discount. Just as well, as we couldn't afford the list price! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At the risk of being boring, as I have said before, if you want a balcony cabin, and like a few drinks, the Saga prices available for most 2022 cruises are more attractive than P&O 2021 cruises.

It will be interesting to see at what level P&O pitch their 2022 prices.  Saga may have stolen a march on P&O by already selling their 2022 cruises,  with a healthy discount. Just as well, as we couldn't afford the list price! 

And they at least look like Ships, they are on my possible list for the future.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hmmm, just had a look at Saga for next year.  They are mostly 5, 7 or 9 nights.  Huge prices and not going anywhere I would want to go.

We are doing 16 nights to the Baltic in 2022.

I would agree that the prices being referred to recently are "go away" prices ... similar to what you see if you do a car or travel insurance comparison.  Whilst, theoretically, you have lots of choice, some companies do not want to carry your business ... so will technically offer a price, but one that you would be mad to accept.

The issue that the cruise companies will have in 2021 is that expectation is linked to price.  Charge more, people expect more.  Deliver less or choose/be forced to make the product less attractive at the same time of charging more is a recipe for loss of custom.

This is why the likes of Saga are doing well to get on with a 2022 offer, when some customers are more open minded about ditching P&O/others.  Their prices are dear yes, but compared to the uncertainty of P&O then who knows if they will be price competitive.

I doubt that the 2021 prices being quoted here will be replicated in the 2022 brochure, but my instinct says that P&O will raise prices.  At the same time, they won't quite realise the true customer sentiment and loss of confidence, which will become a problem as they have, without adjustments, more cabins to sell every week.

Driven by intinerary , want out of Southampton and back,  sun not  northern Europe , not Canaries ,  at least 2 weeks but hopfully longer and only time window we have late May , june, to mid July  2022, have booked Saga 32 day black sea. 

Never thought of Saga, but they seem to have repositioned , all balcony,  smallest cabin is 21.5 sqm, up to full suite. At 59000 tons and 1000 pasegers , space ratio, 50% better than P&O or cunard  .  A change is as good as a rest

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Driven by intinerary , want out of Southampton and back,  sun not  northern Europe , not Canaries ,  at least 2 weeks but hopfully longer and only time window we have late May , june, to mid July  2022, have booked Saga 32 day black sea. 

Never thought of Saga, but they seem to have repositioned , all balcony,  smallest cabin is 21.5 sqm, up to full suite. At 59000 tons and 1000 pasegers , space ratio, 50% better than P&O or cunard  .  A change is as good as a rest

I would love to have booked that, but my wife and wallet stopped me! 

20 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I doubt that the 2021 prices being quoted here will be replicated in the 2022 brochure, but my instinct says that P&O will raise prices

P&O have slightly painted themselves into a corner. Many people have moved their deposits from cancelled cruises to 2021 cruises. If the 2022 cruises are cheaper than the 2021 cruises, is there not a possibility that people will just move their deposits to a cheaper 2022 cruise, especially as there are so many unknowns with regard to 2021 cruising?

P&O would then have to discount their 2021 cruises to fill the newly cancelled cabins, causing customer anger amongst those that paid full price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Hmmm, just had a look at Saga for next year.  They are mostly 5, 7 or 9 nights.  Huge prices and not going anywhere I would want to go.

Must be a first Jean I agree with you 👍🏽

45 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not really comparing like with like plus the prices on saga are truly painfull

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

P&O have slightly painted themselves into a corner. Many people have moved their deposits from cancelled cruises to 2021 cruises. If the 2022 cruises are cheaper than the 2021 cruises, is there not a possibility that people will just move their deposits to a cheaper 2022 cruise, especially as there are so many unknowns with regard to 2021 cruising?

P&O would then have to discount their 2021 cruises to fill the newly cancelled cabins, causing customer anger amongst those that paid full price.

Fair point.  As I think was referenced on another thread relating to Cunard, my linked expectation is that P&O will begin to reduce the "rebooking freedoms" once the new brochure is launched.  There is still the unmoved November deadline to "claim" your automatic entitlement to a refund.

My sense is that passengers with "active 2021 bookings," assuming that they sail, will be required to either pay up or lose their deposits, at the agreed price point, if, as and when P&O / Public Health determines that it is safe to go.

This way P&O regains the reclaimed 25% FCCs on the 2021 sailings (and some) to compensate for reduced capacities from 2020 cancellations, and further has the flexibility to do as it wishes with the 2022 pricing model. 

Win-win for P&O - assuming that it sets the 2022 prices at a level where passengers think that they are getting a good deal.  The risk are that it's competitors are quicker off the mark.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Has anyone thought that some of the eye watering prices currently available are P&Os way to deter people from booking so they can keep number of guests low to appease the authorities when they are allowed to cruise. That way they then will not have the task of cancelling peoples cruises  that have been booked some considerable time. My 19nt cruise on Arcadia in August is one cruise that has increased considerably since we booked an inside cabin in October 2019. Would be very happy if they cancelled my cruise and gave me suitable recompense and free upgrade for a cruise in 2022.

When we rebooked our 2020 Iona cruise to same time 2021 we paid about £100 more, that was in June. Just had another look and it's about the same as we paid,  but no mention of Gary.🤔

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Not really comparing like with like plus the prices on saga are truly painfull

Prices on Saga include drinks, 24 hr. room service, speciality restaurants, gratuities, some excursions, insurance and transport to and from the ship, so not comparing like for like.

Edited by Glenndale

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

Prices on Saga include drinks, 24 hr. room service, speciality restaurants, gratuities, some excursions, insurance and transport to and from the ship, so not comparing like for like.

Even with all that, it's still double what I would pay on P&O.  Over £2k for 9 nights?   I took all that into my calculation.   I don't do speciality restaurants, excursions or room service, so none of that is of interest to me.

Edited by jeanlyon