The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

It is indeed the Liebfrauenkirche in Koblenz, one of my favorite stops on our Rhine Cruise. The window and hole in the wall were provided so that people with plague could participate in the Mass without infecting the rest of the congregation. We certainly wouldn’t have noticed it if our local tour guide hadn’t pointed it out.

Fascinating, a plague window indeed. I have read that the church has mostly modern windows, due to war damage I expect. Somewhat nobody actually said the name of the church before you... But gnome12 first said Koblenz after church and river were clear.

jklc123, are you giving her the prize?

notamermaid

27 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

It is indeed the Liebfrauenkirche in Koblenz, one of my favorite stops on our Rhine Cruise. The window and hole in the wall were provided so that people with plague could participate in the Mass without infecting the rest of the congregation. We certainly wouldn’t have noticed it if our local tour guide hadn’t pointed it out.

Oops - you named the church! 🥺  No one had yet named the church as the rest of us were "mum" because, I assume, we wanted to give other people a chance to respond.  

Did your guide mention when the current window was installed? Kinda reminds me of the Italian wine windows from the time of the Plague. 😂 

Do you want to pass the torch to gnome12 who correctly named the city?

Edited: our emails passed notamermaid - sorry

Here's a photo of the window from the church interior:

Untitled.jpg.279007c50c53310092443cccf9454966.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

I think gnome 12 was close enough, I figured at least two of you were waiting to see who else responded. Dogs for fun, thanks for your photos and info. We didn’t enter the church. I don’t remember if the guide mentioned when the window was replaced.

dogs4fun, no problem crossing paths. Happens with fun and enthusiasm. :classic_smile: Thanks for the photo. I have found some info in German. War damage indeed. The window depicts the Heavenly Jerusalem from the Book of Revelation. It was installed by the local artist Heinz Kassung in 2013, together with one other window. Those were his last works. He died shortly after. If you feel like putting this through a translation machine: https://cms.bistum-trier.de/bistum-trier/Integrale?SID=CRAWLER&MODULE=Frontend&ACTION=ViewPageView&PageView.PK=7&Template.PK=58&Document.PK=116694

notamermaid

27 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

dogs4fun, no problem crossing paths. Happens with fun and enthusiasm. :classic_smile: Thanks for the photo. I have found some info in German. War damage indeed. The window depicts the Heavenly Jerusalem from the Book of Revelation. It was installed by the local artist Heinz Kassung in 2013, together with one other window. Those were his last works. He died shortly after. If you feel like putting this through a translation machine: https://cms.bistum-trier.de/bistum-trier/Integrale?SID=CRAWLER&MODULE=Frontend&ACTION=ViewPageView&PageView.PK=7&Template.PK=58&Document.PK=116694

notamermaid

Thank you for finding the information for me - very kind of you. Interesting article - the windows were installed recently (2013) & they are lovely, especially the one depicting Heavenly Jerusalem. However, my favorite windows in the church are the gorgeous stained glass windows in the choir. 🙂

Waiting for gnome12's submission ...

Edited by dogs4fun

I think gnome 12 was close enough, I figured at least two of you were waiting to see who else responded. Dogs for fun, thanks for your photos and info. We didn’t enter the church. I don’t remember if the guide mentioned when the window was replaced.

I don’t have any pictures to share. I thought I was just giving a hint for the next person.

I guess I’ll just have to follow along without comments in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don’t have any pictures to share. I thought I was just giving a hint for the next person.

I guess I’ll just have to follow along without comments in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose it is like at an auction, do not put your hand up unless you want to participate... No problem. But your decision, give it back to jklc123 to decide what to do or do you want to leave it open for anyone to post?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar

Ok - I tried hard to choose a picture that wasn't going to make this really easy.  (I have another fun one - but thought it might be easy for some who have travelled quite a bit in Europe....)

This is from a city that is more of a jumping off spot for a river cruise.  Although you can cruise from here, it is rarely done. 

Fran

GC - CC.jpg

10 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Oh, I know this one!! 😁 It is a very good photo, Fran. Reminds me a little of Temppeliaukio in Helsinki.

Thanks!!  Again,  from my Blackberry...  

If you know this, it isn't as obscure as I thought!!  But, such a wonderful place - a total surprise when we went.

Fran

22 minutes ago, franski said:

If you know this, it isn't as obscure as I thought!!

I don't think it is a site that most would necessarily immediately recognize. Certainly not a site that most would visit on a cruise. Did you notice a lot of garbage? (chuckle) We will see....

I forget much of what I see but this I remembered because of its uniqueness and the country in which it is located (I'm sure you catch my drift).

My photos are of such poor quality in comparison to the photos that others have posted.   😟  I'm actually embarrassed to post more photos.

Edited by dogs4fun

11 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Egyptian cave church (Zabballeen?)  near Cairo.  Off the Nile.

Did the guide tell you about the garbage collectors (Zabbaleen)? I found this fascinating aside from the fact that St. Simon's is actually a coptic order. I thought that the hall (featured in Fan's photo) was absolutely amazing and not at all what one would expect to find in Cairo. 

Signing off for this evening but hope to see a new photo when I log-in tomorrow. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

13 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Egyptian cave church (Zabballeen?)  near Cairo.  Off the Nile.

Yes...  the Cave Church in Cairo.  It was quite a surprise to find a Christian church in Cairo - and, to find it such a large place of worship.  There are quite a number of beautiful carvings - but, I didn't want to include a picture where the language might give the country away...  Not that this stumped many people!!  Maybe I should have gone with my other (somewhat) "obscure" picture...

To get to the church, you need to enter Garbage City.  Quite the eye opener... Close to 90% of the garbage produced in Cairo comes to this area for recycling.   It is probably one of the poorest areas in Cairo, but I was struck by how friendly the people were as we drove by.  Waving - smiling... We visited a  co-op centre where they teach the women to weave, make paper etc. from items they have recycled.  The proceeds from what they sell goes towards education and health care for people in the area.

We did a cruise on the Nile earlier this year... we got home just as Covid was rearing it's ugly head.   So glad we were able to  go.

Mitina - tag, you're it!!

Fran 

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Though our river cruise used to sail here, with low water levels, this city has become a jumping off point (at least for Viking).  Two views

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

What an impressive venue in Kairo - and quickly solved!

Just jumping in here quickly. Just in case this has been misunderstood. Comments and hints are welcome. If you recognize what is in a photo, do join in if you have not done before because you have not been on a river cruise yet. You can post a photo from a land trip that fits the rules. If you have no photo - no problem. Pass on the prize, meaning you say anyone else can post a photo.

Mitina, a highly unusual photo, looks like some art exhibition. But have no real clue.

Have fun everyone, looking forward to seeing the solution to this tomorrow.

notamermaid