The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Queen of Everything you are CORRECT!!!!

Mitina great sleuthing the flag and figuring out what villages produce pottery!

What a fabulous trip we had!  Vantage did an great job but the guides made the trip....I received an amazing education each day building on the previous day with the same guide! 

Edited by deec
more info

Wow, that one was tough!  That sounds like an amazing trip.  I'm not sure we are adventurous enough for Myanmar, but who knows.

Going to give everyone an easy one today.  As I was looking thru my pictures, I was just caught up by the breathtaking beauty of this location.  It is one of my very favorite places.  I thought it might bring a smile to us today in our boring, travel-less quarantined lives, and remind us of the beautiful places we have to look forward to seeing once again. (someday)  

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

DSC01201.JPG

Edited by QueenofEverything
Forgot to include the rules!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Wow, that one was tough!  That sounds like an amazing trip.  I'm not sure we are adventurous enough for Myanmar, but who knows.

Going to give everyone an easy one today.  As I was looking thru my pictures, I was just caught up by the breathtaking beauty of this location.  It is one of my very favorite places.  I thought it might bring a smile to us today in our boring, travel-less quarantined lives, and remind us of the beautiful places we have to look forward to seeing once again. (someday)  

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

DSC01201.JPG

Keukenhof, Lisse (Amsterdam), Rhine cruise?

QueenofEverything, what a beautiful photo, I love the curve of the flower bed.

I would go with capriccio's idea. I am wondering what river there is. They have a canal that is called Lisserbeek. And some ring canal. Anyway, tons of canals about in that area. And Rhine river counts as it is such a popular destination from there.:classic_smile: I went to Keukenhof many years ago.  Tulips are not my favourite flowers but they are so good for the soul, the signs of spring. I like the tulip arrangements in Koblenz near Deutsches Eck.

notamermaid

QueenofEverything, love that...it's a rainy cold day here, so the colours are a nice way to brighten it up.  We loved our trip to Keukenhof, even my husband was surprised..... he wasn't overly sure about getting dragged to another flower garden!  Still trying to figure out how to get him on a Tulip tour one of these days.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Keukenhof, Lisse (Amsterdam), Rhine cruise?

Yes, of course!  Told you it was easy.  If you ever find yourself in Amsterdam in the spring, you must take an extra day to visit Keukenhof.  It is just so relaxing and calm.  I don't know how many hundreds of pictures I took that day, but this one is my favorite (I think)  Ok capriccio, your turn!

• Like 1

Queen of Everything - I first saw a picture of the Keukenhof Gardens in a coffee table book my parents had of pictures taken in Europe about 10 or 15 years after WWII.  I was the first person in my family to see them in person in 1989 and they remain my favorite gardens even though, just like notamermaid, tulips aren't my favorite flower. 

1974133969_NewOrleanspicture.jpg.8df93f59417f8b4939bcc3d23d1e20ad.jpg

Edited by capriccio

I immediately thought of South America. I stipulated any river in the world (or canal) that is suitable for a river cruise ship. Size guide ship more than around 65m and more than 12 passengers. Mississippi, Amazonas, etc. Thought it best to leave out the smaller barge canals, like the Canal-du-Midi, etc.

Hmm, looking at this again, I think Spanish or Spanish colonial. Not sure why, perhaps the white colour. Intriguing.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I stipulated any river in the world (or canal) that is suitable for a river cruise ship. Size guide ship more than around 65m and more than 12 passengers. Mississippi, Amazonas, etc.

Checking online, I found that Viking does a cruise on this river - in fact, starts in the city in which the cathedral is located. I had no idea that Viking offered such cruises. 

Edited by dogs4fun

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Checking online, I found that Viking does a cruise on this river - in fact, starts in the city in which the cathedral is located. I had no idea that Viking offered such cruises. 

A number of cruise lines have this city as a terminus.

30 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Yes, of course!  Told you it was easy.  If you ever find yourself in Amsterdam in the spring, you must take an extra day to visit Keukenhof.  It is just so relaxing and calm.  I don't know how many hundreds of pictures I took that day, but this one is my favorite (I think)  Ok capriccio, your turn!

Keukenhof was included in my Tulips and Windmills cruise with Uniworld in 2010. It was our last day before departure from the ship. We went in the morning, and there were 2 return times; at noon (I think) and at 3 pm. I was sure that I would be on the early return; I'm not a flower person and I couldn't see myself spending a day there. But I LOVED it. Everything was in bloom; it was a warm day - I was just wearing a 3/4 length sleeve shirt - and it was beautiful. I stayed until the later departure. I couldn't believe that people rushed back to pack.

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

A number of cruise lines have this city as a terminus.

I knew that American Queen (and another that I can't immediately recall) offered the paddlewheel experience but was not aware of Viking - I do love the city. Learn something new all the time.  

I have never cruised the rivers in North or South America. May consider it one day when I find travel to europe too taxing.  🙂 I think that those paddlewheels would be a blast.

I have to leave for the afternoon so I'm going to award this round to dogs4fun since she/he obviously knows the answer!

It is the rear of the St. Louis Cathedral in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.  The front of the cathedral overlooks the Mississippi River.  Wikipedia describes the cathedral as

the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans and is the oldest cathedral in continuous use in what would become the United States. It is dedicated to Saint Louis, also known as King Louis IX of France. The first church on the site was built in 1718; the third, under the Spanish rule, built in 1789, was raised to cathedral rank in 1793. The original St. Louis Cathedral was burned during the great fire of 1788 and was expanded and largely rebuilt and completed in the 1850s, with little of the 1789 structure remaining.

We were on a river cruise with Road Scholar from New Orleans to Memphis, Tennessee this time last year and had a wonderful time.  We spent 3 days in New Orleans before and 2 days in Memphis after; two wonderful cities full of good music, good food and lots of history.  The stops along the river ranged from antebellum plantations to a Civil War battlefield (Vicksburg), Angola Prison,  Natchez and a private gospel choir concert, and a day in the historic Delta region (home of the blues).

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I will not say the city or river as I do not have any photos to share at the moment.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I have to leave for the afternoon so I'm going to award this round to dogs4fun since she/he obviously knows the answer!

Apologies, as stated above,  I have no photos - that is why I did not name New Orleans/Mississippi. Just enjoying following along and making the occasional guess. Please pass to someone with photos. 😕

48 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Apologies, as stated above,  I have no photos - that is why I did not name New Orleans/Mississippi. Just enjoying following along and making the occasional guess. Please pass to someone with photos. 😕

Rightiho.

WILDCARD! :classic_smile:

Next photo for the quiz can be posted by anyone. Who would like a go?

notamermaid

Me!!

Fran

Pic - RCM.jpg

Edited by franski

Yes, WOW! Another gorgeous photo - colors are stunning. I know I have seen this when we visited this city (not gonna say the city) - believe it is a office building with a large market underneath. Really unique architecture. Although one could visit on a river cruise, we were not on a river cruise when we visited this city - we were actually on an ocean cruise. 😎

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

Rotterdam market hall next to the cube houses?

Yes...  Boy - that didn't take long!!  Thought this might last at least a few hours.

We saw this when we did a WWI themed cruise with Avalon...  We went to Flanders Fields - the area where the poem was written, as well as the museum, Ypres (attended the Menin Gate ceremony),  Passchendaele - as well as a bit of WWII history with a trip to Bastogne War museum.  We had a few hours in Rotterdam - and happened upon the market hall.  

Over to you, Ritabob...

Fran