Congressional Investigation into CDC No-Sail Order

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

She did a fine job evading.  Basically "I have no recollection of that".  

I disagree.  I think she did a pretty poor job of evading.  A more experienced politician would have said something that confused you enough that you thought she knew what she was doing and you were the stupid one.  As someone said earlier, she appeared to me to either be lying or not knowing what's going on.  Very disappointing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The CDC doesn't want ships sailing.  This is all smoke and mirrors to kick the can down the road.  It's not about science or data or facts.

Hopefully the senate isn't buying this hogwash. 

They want to complete the roll out of the vaccine for the adults,  this is their top priority and then in the fall getting school kids vaccinated.  Then they'll focus on this.

Edited by Plum Happy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

They want to complete the roll out of the vaccine for the adults,  this is their top priority and then in the fall getting school kids vaccinated.  Then they'll focus on this.

Except for the roll out of the vaccine is left to State governors.  There are enough adults vaccinated in the US to support the cruise industry getting restarted.  The CDC is really dragging its feet on this one. 

There's the fact that no one here has any true insight to the conversation between the US Government agencies and the cruise lines. Any speculation that has evolved into wishful fact has been the result of a nugget of hopeful news found within a line or two of random articles. 

My guess is that the CSO is being replaced by an entirely new document that accounts for vaccination progress. Cruise lines are aware of but not unable to share while details are worked out. Fain's comments point to this when he says they are 'unsure' of vaccine requirements but then goes on to talk about the importance and benefit then rehashing that ships take several months to put back into service.

They also have to crew these ships which may not even be possible until after vaccination/return to service details are ironed out. Is the former crew even that interested in returning? They say so, but is that really true? If they faced a crew shortage it would create a huge issue. Also If the US gov't agreed to let a cruise line purchase vaccines for employees, a whole new can of worms is opened. It would not go over well.

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Except for the roll out of the vaccine is left to State governors.  There are enough adults vaccinated in the US to support the cruise industry getting restarted.  The CDC is really dragging its feet on this one. 

Sure the roll out is left to the states, but the guidance for kids have not been finalized since they have just started trials for them, at least with the Moderna vaccine.  And with some people who have yet don't want it, what other guidance will come out for that as far as if this will be a one time or yearly shot.  Nothing on that yet.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Sure the roll out is left to the states, but the guidance for kids have not been finalized since they have just started trials for them, at least with the Moderna vaccine.  And with some people who have yet don't want it, what other guidance will come out for that as far as if this will be a one time or yearly shot.  Nothing on that yet.  

Ok but other countries are worse off yet they are allowing fully vaccinated ships to sail from their ports taking away the business from US ports.  (Bahamas, St. Martin)  I understand this is not on the CDC's top list of priorities but by not updating directives they are essentially choking the livelihoods of Americans that depend on the cruise industry and adversely impacting the economy of US port cities. 

45 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

My guess is that the CSO is being replaced by an entirely new document that accounts for vaccination progress.

That would have been a sensible and responsible response for an agency director to offer to a senate committee.  Didn't happen.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's sad that on a news broadcast THIS morning a person attempting to cross the Southern border stated during an interview that he was an excursion guide for cruise passengers and the ban on cruising has put many people in his area into poverty.

3 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

It's sad that on a news broadcast THIS morning a person attempting to cross the Southern border stated during an interview that he was an excursion guide for cruise passengers and the ban on cruising has put many people in his area into poverty.

Was he Covid positive or untested?

2 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

The impact has also been felt in all the US port cities, especially Miami.

Figures provided by Port Miami in early September show the cruise industry at Port Miami is responsible for:

• 30,088 total jobs;

• over $5.8 billion in total economic value;

• over $549 million in direct personal income;

• over $1,713 billion in induced, indirect, and direct personal income; and

• over $188 million in state and local taxes.29

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

That would have been a sensible and responsible response for an agency director to offer to a senate committee.  Didn't happen.

Someone else with expertise would have to chime in...this is more of a question than assumption, but it's possible the new 'standard' would be created and implement by an agency outside of the CDC that has more appropriate long term oversight. 

If people can fly on an airplane in EXTREMELY CLOSE proximity to one another for hours, tell me why a cruise where the adults will be fully vaccinated and children tested, is less safe? This is such political 🐃💩.  The CDC are a bunch of 🤡.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Totally agree.  It also undermines the effective of vaccinations.

Sen Rand Paul told Dr. Superior-Epidemiologist-In-Charge that last week.  Don't punish people, reward them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

If people can fly on an airplane in EXTREMELY CLOSE proximity to one another for hours, tell me why a cruise where the adults will be fully vaccinated and children tested, is less safe? This is such political 🐃💩.  The CDC are a bunch of 🤡.

I think it is longevity of flight. Also as we flew to Mexico in November our food was prepackaged (small bottle of water and some snack). We also were constantly reminded to pull on our masks if we forgot. We will fly this week again ... and check if it has changed.

Most domestic flights are few hours. Cruises will take more than 4 days. In this 4 days, anything can happen.

I fly weekly.  Masks all the way through the process - walking in the airport until you get outside on the other end.  Actually the part on the plane is palpable.  Huffing through security, etc. is annoying.   People cheat when they can a la John Kerry (he got targeted for hypocracy) - flight crew handle it differently - some are kind and gracious and some are outright !#!@#!s.  Plane filtrations is pretty good per the science.  Now - the bathrooms post flight with no air filtration, super crowded, no ventillation....different story.

Your overall point is still 1000% valid.  

6 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

Best case IF decided it's needed Vaccinate all Children is Fall 2022. Doubt will be needed or done in mass. This point so far only 52% Medical Field has been Vaccinated, over 1/3 said they dont plan on it. Even 1/3 US Military and 1/4 US Congress have declined. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I think it is longevity of flight. Also as we flew to Mexico in November our food was prepackaged (small bottle of water and some snack). We also were constantly reminded to pull on our masks if we forgot. We will fly this week again ... and check if it has changed.

Flown 9 times last 9 months. Was in July finally decided Mask requirement, before not recommended at multiple Airports/Airlines was on. Last week flew again, requirement now to chew any food with mask on. Understand why, many online Videos of passengers abusing it taking an hour to eat a small bag chips or peanuts, whole time mask off

• Like 1