Princess South America/Antartica will we fit with that crowd?

cbowls30

We are in our late sixties.  Three years ago we did a SA cruise.  We did not pay much attention to the demographics. 

We wrapped three weeks of independent travel around the cruise.  Spent a three days in Santiago and another four driving about in a rental car.  Five nights in BA.  Walking around town,  using public transport in both cities. Same for Uruguay, and later Panama and Costa Rica.  Never felt threatened in any way.  But...we take precautions.  We don't travel with expensive jewelry and we keep a awareness of our surroundings.  

Our experience in SA, in Europe is the same as our experience in any large US city.   We don't do foolish things or let our guard down.  Nor do we wear expensive jewelry, speak loudly to announce that we are 'here', or open our wallet or purse with lots of credit cards or cash on display.

We are in our late 30s, Princess is our favorite cruise line, and we were supposed to be aboard the Coral for the Christmas Antarctica cruise this year! I started cruising when I was a wee one and have been on most of the major cruise lines; my DH started cruising in his early 20s. It’s not going to be a party crowd at all; it’ll be adults who will likely be older than you but are fascinating to talk to and love travel. The activities are mainly the same among the cruise lines. The Coral doesn’t have a fun nightclub, so though you’ll get some DJ music in the evenings, it won’t be a big party with modern music and dancing. I say if you have the chance to do the cruise, do it! 

Don't know if things have evolved safety-wise, but when we did all around SA cruise in 2018, the only city of major concern for safety was Rio.  I expect we will go round most of SA again some day - as well as spend some time on land in a couple of cities.  The trip was amazing, fellow passengers were great, our mostly-all-private excursions were great, etc. 

On 10/25/2020 at 6:29 AM, cbowls30 said:

We really want to do one of the Coral Princess cruises to South America, starting in Peru, Argentina, Falklands and ending up in Brazil. We've previously done RCI, NCL and Carnival, mainly carribbean and europe and never Princess. We've seen many Princess ships in port and it always seems like a much older demographic? We are late 30's early 40's and wondering if the general demographic will be much much older then us and worried that on sea days there won't be much activities, my husband dosn't really do sitting around doing nothing, he loves the trivia on carnival etc and daytime entertainment is really important for sea days.

We appreciate it won't be a carribean party crowd, which is fine because it's more about the itinerary then the partying on this cruise but the sea days we will be bored if there is nothing going on! 

Can anyone advise what a Princess Cruise to south america is like or even share the activity daily schedule? Thanks!!

My husband is not a "sit around guy" either.  This cruise was much different than other cruises.  My husband was always on the go to either go ashore, take photos/record videos , or attend lectures.  I did not do a lot due to health problems.  Do not worry about differences in ages, if this is a part of world you want to see.  Go while you are young and can enjoy. it!!!!  It is beautiful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nini said:

Wow! Reading the comments on this thread has really inspired me

for this itinerary!

I would highly consider it post pandemic. Memorable. We sailed the S.A. itinerary twice, both times the ship continued sailing from S.A. back to the U.S., for a total of 30 days each. Once from Brazil to L.A. the other from Chile to F.L. It did take lots of planning. On one cruise we flew to Chile, spent 3 nights in Vina Del Mar before boarding. The other we sailed from Rio where we also spent 3 nights with two all day group tours arranged via the roll call. We took a private car tour of the wine country in Chile. We also arranged for two private half day walking tours in Buenos Aires where the ship was docked for 3 days. These tours were just the two of us. A little costly, but well worth it. At other ports we joined in with roll call members for some great tours. 

On 10/25/2020 at 6:29 AM, cbowls30 said:

We really want to do one of the Coral Princess cruises to South America, starting in Peru, Argentina, Falklands and ending up in Brazil.

If you have extra time and budget I enthusiastically recommend adding a few days in Brazil and visiting Iguassu Falls.  They are spectacular.  While Princess will probably have a cruisetour, it is easy and much cheaper to visit on your own.  You fly out of Rio (about a 2 hour flight) and I recommend spending two nights either directly at the falls (pricey hotels) or at one of the nearby hotels (wide range of prices and amenities).  It is well worth visiting both the Brazilian and Argentine sides.  There is more information on the South American cruise critic board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/47-south-america/

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

If you have extra time and budget I enthusiastically recommend adding a few days in Brazil and visiting Iguassu Falls.  They are spectacular.  While Princess will probably have a cruisetour, it is easy and much cheaper to visit on your own.  You fly out of Rio (about a 2 hour flight) and I recommend spending two nights either directly at the falls (pricey hotels) or at one of the nearby hotels (wide range of prices and amenities).  It is well worth visiting both the Brazilian and Argentine sides.  There is more information on the South American cruise critic board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/47-south-america/

I second the recommendation to stay at the hotel that is in view of the falls on the Brazil side. Just a simple short walk to see the Brazil side of the falls. Also recommend the Zodiac boat ride that goes right up to the falls. You can get this ride a short free bus ride from the hotel.

Also agree it is essential to view the falls from both sides of the border. We had a guide while we were there who brougt us over the border to the Argentina side and then back to the hotel on the Brazil side.

Below picture shows the hotel on the Brazil side and how close it is to the falls.

Iguaçu falls.jpg

Wow, I am sure the view from the hotel is amazing. I like it how such buildings are being built at maximum close distance to some sort of a famous visitors place. In this case I would place the swimming pool somewhere near the edge just to have that effect of falling with a panoramic view. Should be a nice hotel 

We were on the Star for the 31 day from LA to Rio in 2015/16 over the holidays. It was an excellent experience. And like two different cruises as many of the older, staid crowd left in Buenos Aires to head home for Xmas and a few hundred South Americans joined us to sail from BA to Rio.  The ship then lit up!  People drinking and dancing late. Lots of kids. We loved it. 

Highlights from that cruise included a private street art tour in Valparaiso, breakfast as we sailed around the Cape, the aforementioned Falklands penguins, a 9-course meal at Maido in Lima, a 7-mile hike where they filmed The Revenant in Chile, meat! In Buenos Aires.  And being the sole occupants of The Sanctuary during a sleetstorm with crew who had never seen snow. 

We stayed in Rio a week when we landed and had the Chef’s Dinner at The Copacabana. Amazing. Never encountered feeling unsafe. But I won $8K on video poker the night before we landed and boy, was I nervous carrying that much cash around!  

Go for it. 

I booked this a South America and Antarctica cruise for 2022 and I’ll be 40 (my friend will bring her late 30’s). I find most cruisers to be friendly and fun so I’m not worried about any age differences. Mainly writing to let you know there may be others your age onboard.

We were on the last of 3 itineraries  on the Coral Princess for the 2020 season from Buenos Aires that offered the 4 days scenic cruising in Antarctica Peninsular.  We disembarked in Santiago Feb 6th.  And if our cruising days had to end (or pause indefinietly) then we went out with one of the BEST cruises we have had ... and that includes 2 world cruises in 2017 and 2019.  

Cruise 1 and 2 had some difficulties due to weather, which can change on a dime in that part of the world, and affected their itinerary.  Third time was perfect and Capt McBain was able to take us to places that the larger cruise ships had never been in Antarctica - including inside the caldera at Deception Island!  

We are active seniors and this trip kept us busy.  The lecture series RE: Antarctica  history, nature, indiginous peoples, etc on the ship were some of the best ever and presenters were first class.  They were back to back from 9 to noon and even several in the afternoon.  The commentary during scenic cruising was excellent and could be heard from your stateroom TV or on decks.  We turned up TV in balcony cabin and could hear it all while coming in and out to warm up.  And on certain days we entered areas in the early morning hours (5 am).  It was hard to fit in meals because you didn’t want to miss anything.  Incredible continent. Icebergs, whales, penguins...on my

You stayed so busy there really was not much time for ship board activities if you enjoy that.

And age demographiccs on a cruise like this where the majority are seeing this area for first time - in my opinion - doesn’t matter - the commonality is the beauty and being awestruck that you have been blessed to visit a place that only 1% of the world’s population has the privilege to behold and experience.  I did not need to step foot on it - my 4 days of scenic cruising will last me a lifetime.

And totally agree with Carabill - we started pre cruise with a guided Cosmos 9 day Rio to BA with 2 days at Iguasu Falls (both sides with air from Rio to Iguasu and then on to BA) - WOW - amazing!  It cost us $4K but worth every penny.  And we had 4 days in BA - what a fantastic city and very diverse and European.

To sum it up in one word - GO 😁

As soon as we can all safely cruise again 

• Like 1