Tallinn in a day, suggestions on what see and do.

@casofiliaI'm sure if I googled I could find it. But if I decide I need help, I will do that. Thank you.

OK. I checked them out. My 2 Euro and 1 Euro coins are Germany (German eagle). The 10 cent coin is Italy.

Edited by gnome12
Further research.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Sorry, you’re right.  It’s seals, not sea lions.

https://tallinndaytrip.com/tours/seal-watching-nature-tour/

Did you enjoy it?

It was a unique experience and we enjoyed it immensely. The North Estonian archipelago’s scenery is quite fascinating & beautiful. And, of course, there were the seals (we didn’t get close to them) & cormorants. Great if you are into wild nature.

On 5/20/2021 at 1:10 AM, dogs4fun said:

It was a unique experience and we enjoyed it immensely. The North Estonian archipelago’s scenery is quite fascinating & beautiful. And, of course, there were the seals (we didn’t get close to them) & cormorants. Great if you are into wild nature.

There are a few places around Nothern Europe to see seals with one of  the best locations being along the west coast of Scotland where you will also if your lucky  see Basking Sharks and various whale's,  but got to be honest never knew there was a seal watching trip available from Tallinn.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 6:08 PM, DavietheScot said:

There are a few places around Nothern Europe to see seals with one of  the best locations being along the west coast of Scotland where you will also if your lucky  see Basking Sharks and various whale's,  but got to be honest never knew there was a seal watching trip available from Tallinn.  

Yes West Coast is a great area to see whale's dolphins and as you say in the summer Basking Sharks which are huge when you are lucky enough to see them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Didn't know Tallinn was hilly.  This changes things--we'll have to do a bus tour or some such, since walking up and down hills is pretty much out for my husband.  Any ideas about that?

Part was a little hilly however, it was not too steep of a walk. If you opt to stay in (lower) part of the Old Town Square, it is flat and nice to walk around. We stopped at the oldest cafe for delicious pastry and coffee. Our ship, Oceania Marina docked a 10-15 walk to the city walls and to the main square.  Also, there was an interesting souvernir style market beside the pier which we browsed before returning to the ship. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We found Tallinn to be one of the most walkable cities we have visited on any cruise.  I don't remember the old city being hilly, but we are in pretty good physical shape.  When walking back to the ship, don't forget to walk over to the abandoned Soviet-era Linnahall.  Its architecture is brutal but historically interesting and maybe you can even get a peek inside the abandoned concert hall.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linnahall

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 1:10 PM, sansterre said:

Thanks CassCruise and mskaufman.  City of Tallin is lovely and prison is interesting.

I know the city is too hill for me to walk.  But I'm considering a taxi for an hour or two that will drop us off at the top of the town.  I could then take my time and walk back down to the cruise port.

That would work if you took your time. 

1 hour ago, jas283a said:

We had considered doing the Hop on/Hop off bus in Tallinn, as that was a very enjoyable way to get around other cities when we did our cruise in Greece.  Pros/cons, any thoughts by those who have gone?  

I have not done the Tallinn HoHo bus.   But I have read, and have verified on their map, that while it provides a route around the larger city area, it does not take you THRU the old town portion of the city that most tourists usually frequent.  This part of the city has narrow, cobblestone streets mostly.  The bus routes circle around the edges of old town and ventures into the new town portions. 

While the sites that the bus visits may be of interest to some, most people tend to explore old town for the day.  

23 hours ago, jas283a said:

We had considered doing the Hop on/Hop off bus in Tallinn, as that was a very enjoyable way to get around other cities when we did our cruise in Greece.  Pros/cons, any thoughts by those who have gone?  

Tallinn is very walkable; you do not really need a bus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 10:09 PM, ontheweb said:

Tallinn is very walkable; you do not really need a bus.

Yes I would not recommend the Hop on Hop Off bus for Tallinn it is a easy city to see on foot and as already has been said the bus doesn't actually visit the Old Town and therefore many of the main attractions.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 11:32 PM, jas283a said:

You could consider the Hop On Hop off if you (like us) do not like to climb stairs and/or hill. Do one or more of the three tours (lines red, blue and green if still the same as in autumn 2019) and leave the bus of line red or blue at stop 2 (stop Toompea Castle) on top of the Hill and walk down into the Old Town. In 2019 all three lines at one price (online € 25 per adult in 2019).  Enjoy Tallinn, it's absolutely worthwhile.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Didn't know Tallinn was hilly.  This changes things--we'll have to do a bus tour or some such, since walking up and down hills is pretty much out for my husband.  Any ideas about that?

I visited the Baltics pre-covid, and 8 years ago so I can't provide direct help but wanted to give you background information that might help you research a solution because Tallinn was one of my favorite cities on my Baltic cruise.    If walking down the hill is not an option since the historic center does not allow cars, then the pedicabs would be a nice option.  Also, there is a tourist train we took that ran around the town.  We actually quite enjoyed the train, but many of the reviews on tripadvisor were less happy with this (others felt the ride was too bumpy over the cobblestone streets.  We were in our mid 30s at the time of the trip, so maybe we didn't feel it as much and might feel it more today).    You might want to contact the official tour office of Tallinn to see if the tourist train is running now, and if there is any way to book  a pedicab ahead of time or see on tripadvisor if anyone has any suggestions since I saw that no one answered your question earlier on this site).  Given the fact that the old town is closed to cars and buses, I'm not sure how much value the tour buses are in Tallinn, but since I didn't take the buses I don't know how valuable they are.      

We took the HOHO with a free walking tour. We love these walking tours with locals who don't stick to a script. She talked about the pride they had in their female leader, in being independent for one of the few times in their history, shared he favorite foods and where to buy them, etc. there was one tall staircase that challenged me, but I made it and loved the views from the top. We had planned to take the HOHO back to the pier, but just walked it.