CDC Lifts No Sail Order

travelhound

I'm excited that we might be one small step closer to cruising.  My cruise is in April, so I am really hoping things will be worked out by then.  I just got back from a wonderful trip to a Florida condo.  I was so happy to see everything open.  People who want to shelter in place can keep doing it, but it felt so good to have a nearly normal vacation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well both me and my wife are in our mid 70s. Our next booked one is for Jan 9, 2020. Hopefully By December they say the Vaccines are expected to be distributed and given to the elderly first. Then the first responders. At that point, will we be a continuation of the testing? We just got the NEW Shingles shot. To get the second one after two weeks. My wife handled the hurt for a day she did great. I did not. We were told, it would hurt. I figured it would be no different then the Flu shot. I was very wrong.

I hate to burst your vaccine in December  bubble, but the FDA has already stated the emergency authorization will go to medical and first responders before anybody. It will then be given next (Feb-Mar) to high risk individuals, which would likely include the elderly. However, the two vaccines that are likely to be approved first (e.g. Moderna and Pfizer) require TWO shots separated by ~28 days before you are considered vaccinated. That makes anything for January unlikely to be in the window where you would cruise and have both of the vaccine shots.

• Like 1

Just now, embarkation75 said:

I hate to burst your vaccine in December  bubble, but the FDA has already stated the emergency authorization will go to medical and first responders before anybody. It will then be given next (Feb-Mar) to high risk individuals, which would likely include the elderly. However, the two vaccines that are likely to be approved first (e.g. Moderna and Pfizer) require TWO shots separated by ~28 days before you are considered vaccinated. That makes anything for January unlikely to be in the window where you would cruise and have both of the vaccine shots.

First medical, then nursing homes, then high risk, then...

• Like 1

We've taken an All-Inclusive vacation to Cancun resort & hotel stay in South Beach Miami.  Both required round trip flights on United & American airlines, with all flights packed full.  No issues.  

We're starting to have live in-person Chamber of Commerce luncheons this month with 200+ people in a packed hotel ballroom.  No issues.

I think we can allow people to make a choice whether they want to go on a cruise in a safe manner. 

For those who wants to cruise, let them cruise.

For those who don't.  Stay home...

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

I think we can allow people to make a choice whether they want to go on a cruise in a safe manner. 

I'd say if they sign a waiver that they will obey the rules or else pay for their own way home from wherever. and risk being sued by the other passengers.

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I'm a 6 hour drive from Canaveral.  As I stated in another post, I have positive antibodies form the vaccine study I volunteered for, so I am protected and can't give it to others.  I am a retired nurse so can do any monitoring protocol they want.  I have 19 Carnival cruises under my belt, so not a newb.  SOO READY!!!!

baf

You are still a newbie in my book if you only have 19 cruises on Carnival. 😊

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I'm a 6 hour drive from Canaveral.  As I stated in another post, I have positive antibodies form the vaccine study I volunteered for, so I am protected and can't give it to others.  I am a retired nurse so can do any monitoring protocol they want.  I have 19 Carnival cruises under my belt, so not a newb.  SOO READY!!!!

baf

20 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are still a newbie in my book if you only have 19 cruises on Carnival. 😊

Baf has me beat... I’m only at 15 Carnival 🙂 

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

We've taken an All-Inclusive vacation to Cancun resort & hotel stay in South Beach Miami.  Both required round trip flights on United & American airlines, with all flights packed full.  No issues.  

We're starting to have live in-person Chamber of Commerce luncheons this month with 200+ people in a packed hotel ballroom.  No issues.

I would agree with you up to a point. Suppose those who have disregarded masks and social distancing guidelines "without issues" go sailing on the high seas and they suddenly have COVID issues (now where could that have come from they wonder) and their cruise gets aborted?  Along comes a new CDC no sail guideline for the rest of us who waited patiently to resume cruising after the first test sailings??????

So I would say for those who want to cruise, make sure you've followed the safety guidelines before sailing.  For those who don't follow the guidelines, stay home.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Sign me up. 
I got a call, soon after this was released, from an unknown number... I thought what if it’s Carnival asking me to volunteer!? A girl can dream. Instead it was about my car warranty. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Save this in your phone and you wont have to be afraid to answer...

20201030_210900.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I am in the vaccine trial by Pfizer.  I have had both shots in a series of 2.  They can't tell you what you got ( vaccine or placebo) or the results of your blood tests, but I got an antibody test on my own.  I have a LARGE amount of antibodies (enough for 3 people going by the titer) .. SO LET ME ON A SHIP!!!!😁

baf

Ultimately the vaccine will bring an end to this madness 😀

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Well said 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'm excited that we might be one small step closer to cruising.  My cruise is in April, so I am really hoping things will be worked out by then.  I just got back from a wonderful trip to a Florida condo.  I was so happy to see everything open.  People who want to shelter in place can keep doing it, but it felt so good to have a nearly normal vacation.

I think all of us are looking forward to the day we can cruise again.  My cruise is in March and this news gives me some confidence 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, travelhound said:

Yup, my cruise in March is 9 days.  I suspect that this is just for the initial cruises and that they will revise it, assuming that the initial trips are successful.

10 hours ago, travelhound said:

We are cruising out of Florida, so I don't think it's going to be a problem.  

10 hours ago, travelhound said:

My family did get flu shots and we will be first in line to get the vaccine.

Travelhound....I have to assume your cruise is 8 nights since I could not research a 9 night one and it is either going out of Miami, Port Canaveral or Tampa.  The first two ports are safe since it's been reported that is where Carnival will be restarting from, but Tampa is still up in the air.  And since the CDC has their initial limit at 7 day cruises, your sailing could be in jeopardy as well.  And who knows if you'll be even able to be the first in line once a vaccine is ready to be distributed. Logic dictates first responders, then high risk, then the general population.  It could be a lottery system to see who gets it first within the general population.  Of course this is all speculation, so all I'm saying is to take your optimism with a dose of speculative reality.

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Ultimately the vaccine will bring an end to this madness 😀

Not sure where you are getting your information, but there isn’t a vaccine in development right now that will come even close to eradicating this virus. Even with an effective vaccine, this virus is going to be around for a long time. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Yes that is correct, plus they are saying it will take 30-60 days to get a ship ready. So we really are looking well into spring before full time cruising starts to return.

Is there something that says they have to wait until the end of these sequences to start getting the ships ready? I would imagine one of the most time-consuming parts would be finding all of the employees and having them arrive from overseas. This could be started anytime. However, I could see the company holding off until they are sure they are going to sail. 

43 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Is there something that says they have to wait until the end of these sequences to start getting the ships ready? I would imagine one of the most time-consuming parts would be finding all of the employees and having them arrive from overseas. This could be started anytime. However, I could see the company holding off until they are sure they are going to sail. 

I think that process has already started 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Travelhound....I have to assume your cruise is 8 nights since I could not research a 9 night one and it is either going out of Miami, Port Canaveral or Tampa.  The first two ports are safe since it's been reported that is where Carnival will be restarting from, but Tampa is still up in the air.  And since the CDC has their initial limit at 7 day cruises, your sailing could be in jeopardy as well.  And who knows if you'll be even able to be the first in line once a vaccine is ready to be distributed. Logic dictates first responders, then high risk, then the general population.  It could be a lottery system to see who gets it first within the general population.  Of course this is all speculation, so all I'm saying is to take your optimism with a dose of speculative reality.

It's on RC out of Miami.  The cruise is probably good to go, but I could see it becoming a 7 day instead.   Either way, my family is excited to sail again 🙂

Edited by travelhound

15 hours ago, Gin-soaked bar-room queen said:

It says that in order for a cruise ship operator to apply for a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate, they have to conduct a simulated voyage.

this explains why Royal Caribbean is currently doing simulated sailings with Navigator. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5647/

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure where you are getting your information, but there isn’t a vaccine in development right now that will come even close to eradicating this virus. Even with an effective vaccine, this virus is going to be around for a long time. 

The vaccine will flatten the fear 🙂 

• Like 4