Beaching of Fantasy

jimbo5544

So heartbreaking. There's another video, taken the night before she reached the anchorage outside of the scrapyard. It's shot from a boat carrying the last CCL employees, as they disembarked. I can't link to it from this computer, but it's beautiful. I've been denying/dreading this day for weeks....

• Like 1

I am heartbroken, and I guess, naive.  When I heard the ships had been sold, I had no idea this is what it meant.  I assumed it meant they were going to another cruise line to be rebranded and give other cruisers happy times.  I am so shocked I don't even know what to say.

"This process involves bringing the ship out to sea, putting the engines full throttle ahead, and running the vessel on shore until she stops."   Such a sad, brutal concept....

• Like 1

I don’t think this will be well received, but what a wild / cool / weird / job to be that pilot and drive the ship full speed up onto the beach and be literally the last person ever at the helm of these historic vessels. Also wild that she’s right next to her old rivals Sovereign and Monarch.

Remember by this time some of the deconstruction has already occurred, removing artwork and the heavy equipment. She is not the ship you remember with the finished interior.

I don’t mean to be heartless but it is a vehicle and like cars, they do wear out and become obsolete, as do many machines. Still I do understand the tears and nostalgia.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, heffy2 said:

So heartbreaking. There's another video, taken the night before she reached the anchorage outside of the scrapyard. It's shot from a boat carrying the last CCL employees, as they disembarked. I can't link to it from this computer, but it's beautiful. I've been denying/dreading this day for weeks....

12 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

Man, seeing that video and comparing how the ship looks to the Crew VLog posted above just a few months prior really makes you appreciate the work that is done to keep the ships up when they are in service. The last video shows it covered in rust and other discoloration when just a few months prior it was bright and shiny white.

• Like 1

I have never sailed on the Fantasy, but I did on the Sensation, and that was my first Carnival ship in 2000.  Though I have not been on Fantasy, I am sad to see the sad end to her.  My first cruise ship of all was NCL Norway in 1999, and it was so horrible to see what became of that ship in the scrap yard.  I know that at some point cruise ships do become out dated and have to sent to pasture so to speak.  As I get older,  I am having more difficulty with our throw away world.  Guess I am getting older now at warp speed, and am sounding more and more like my parents did in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1