1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

They also testing before boarding so that was twice they tested.  I saw some of their youtube videos and looks like they weren't social distancing or masking either at the start of the cruise.  After the first case, they started to require masks but they should have done that at the very start, IMO.

The only way to have a true "bubble" would have been to quarantine everyone for at least a week-10 days beforehand.  There's just no way to prevent even one case by testing just a few days before and then people traveling, shopping, staying in hotels, etc where they could be exposed prior to boarding.  That's the point of failure.

1 minute ago, BND said:

The only way to have a true "bubble" would have been to quarantine everyone for at least a week-10 days beforehand.  There's just no way to prevent even one case by testing just a few days before and then people traveling, shopping, staying in hotels, etc where they could be exposed prior to boarding.  That's the point of failure.

That very well may be the only way to a secure bubble, however, if they would have been required to mask and practice social distancing, maybe the one case would not have spread to five cases.  I think they relied too heavily on testing, but as many have pointed out on this forum, you can test negative and have it as well as be a carrier and infect others.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BND said:

That's what floors me.   Some want the US to be the worst.

Yesterday on a "news" show-mostly entertainment who think they're more intelligent than their audience, one of the hosts tried to compare Aus to the US.  Hmm, let's see, huge difference in population, huge difference in number of urban populations, one is surrounded completely by water and can control every entry point and does.  Big difference in what lockdown means for each.  They also were talking actual numbers which you cannot do when there's such a difference.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  

Good point 👍

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Latest tweets from Gene Sloan.  It appears there are six cases now.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.05.57 AM.png

For now, there's 6 cases, but they could have more in a couple of days depending on when the exposure was.  It won't be clear until they get way past the next few days.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

For now, there's 6 cases, but they could have more in a couple of days depending on when the exposure was.  It won't be clear until they get way past the next few days.

Yes there could be more as the incubation takes up to 14 days. I can't say this enough; it was not wise on their part to not require masks and social distancing at the beginning of the cruise.  Since the whole world is watching now, this will not make it easy for the other cruise lines. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

Any cruise that will set on sail right now will have to follow all the restrictions and rules by WHO. I doubt anyone trying to break unless there will be a strong argument to it. As far as passengers go, it will all depend on their individual safety precautions 

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Any cruise that will set on sail right now will have to follow all the restrictions and rules by WHO. I doubt anyone trying to break unless there will be a strong argument to it. As far as passengers go, it will all depend on their individual safety precautions 

I believe the WHO can only recommend procedures.  They don't have jurisdiction in the US.  We have to comply with the CDC. I don't know about other countries but I don't think the WHO has jurisdiction over them either.

57 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Well since we have changed this thread to What are your plans for Thanksgiving here's mine

Getting sliced turkey breast at Publix deli

stovetop stuffing

jar of gravy

can cranberry sauce

premade mashed potatoes

And there you have it

I have always wanted that for dinner during the year. How do you have them slice the turkey?

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I can’t see likes, laughs, or thanks any longer?  Anyone else?

M8

Nothing here either. I do notice that they have a line at the top of unread posts as a bookmark. I never noticed before since they did the recent upgrade.

Edited by Iamcruzin

1 hour ago, hernando52 said:

I really want cruising to resume, but I just don't think we're ready yet....maybe for younger, healthy folks, ......

But younger, healthy folks can contract the virus and spread it to others -- do they really need to cruise now?

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I agree and even worry that our November 2021 is very iffy.

I have a November 2021 cruise that was a L&S.  As long as the vaccine is available this spring I really think ships will be sailing by summer but they still may have a lot of restrictions, so I'm in a wait and see what unfolds mode until then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mek said:

so I'm in a wait and see what unfolds mode until then.

Ours was a L&S from this October. Around last March when Covid starting rearing it's ugly head I told my wife we would be ok, there was no way way it would impact our cruise. By June we started to worry and went ahead and did the L&S thinking it will definitely be over by November of 2021. I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, latserrof said:

But younger, healthy folks can contract the virus and spread it to others -- do they really need to cruise now?

Yes of course they can get sick and spread the virus, which is why we are distanced from anyone who is working, going to school, etc.  It is all we can do until a safe vaccine is readily available.  We are not in a position to cruise right now.  We will get vaccinated before flying, going on a ship or going to a theme park again.  The cruising industry will need to open up sometime in the near future in order for it to survive, and my only point was that it'll have to be the younger & healthy group which will lead the charge to test out all of the CDC protocols.  

37 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I can’t see likes, laughs, or thanks any longer?  Anyone else?

M8

Yeah, I mentioned it, I think back on this thread earlier today.  So, we're going backwards now lol.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Since people on the Sea Dream cruise ship got covid, that make's our future cruising in the not to distance future unlikely.   Hope that a reliable safe vaccine is available to all soon!    Guess I should cancel my March 2021 cruise.

Doing that in the next few days as well. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Boy this thread went off topic, but since it did. 

My family is having a large gathering for Thanksgiving, and mostly indoors. Expecting about 30. My mom is 87 and has said this is her last Thanksgiving. We have a few who feel Covid is a hoax and never wear a mask.  We have chosen not to attend for our safety. It’s a tough call. 

M8

A tough but right call IMO. 

1 hour ago, BND said:

Okay, so now the like button is gone?

LIKE.😉

• Like 1