1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

7 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

It seems to be a bigger problem in more rural areas of some states. I don't know why though. In New Mexico each death from covid is listed and if there are underlying conditions and if they were a resident of a long term care center. Almost every death, well over 90 percent, have underlying health problems and a lot are in LTC centers.

The majority of deaths in our county are in the 75+ age group, with 80+ having the most, but that doesn't mean it's running rampant in the LTC.  It just means people who are at highest risk of complications and deaths are dying.   Just because the majority of deaths are in that population doesn't mean these facilities have high rates of illness and death.  It means those age groups/health status do, but if you look at each facility, the percentages are not high.  The 93 deaths in our county in the 80+ year age group are spread out all over the county and not all are in facilities so you have to be careful with how you look at data.  Yes, most deaths are in LTC, but there isn't a high number in each and a lot have recovered, even in the 80+ age group.

Here's todays report cumulative since March 17.

Age 40-49: 1
Age 50-59: 4
Age 60-69: 14 (+1)
Age 70-79: 22
Age 80+: 93
Age Not Reported: 1
Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

Well since we have changed this thread to What are your plans for Thanksgiving here's mine

Getting sliced turkey breast at Publix deli

stovetop stuffing

jar of gravy

can cranberry sauce

premade mashed potatoes

And there you have it

I bought a Smoked Turkey from SAMS. I plan to buy a Butterball and smoke it on the BGE. Haven’t done one this way so want to try. 

M8

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

This statement is dangerous.  If we all wore masks to protect ourselves and others we could save tens of thousands of lives.  Period!

I wear my mask but I certainly don’t believe I’m saving tens of thousands. Is that like 200 million thousand?  😇

Take responsibility for yourself, that’s what we do. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wear my mask but I certainly don’t believe I’m saving tens of thousands. Is that like 200 million thousand?  😇

Please read what I said... "if WE (emphasis mine) all wore masks..."

No, I'm not saving thousands of lives individually but WE (those who wear masks) collectively are.

Not sure of your number reference.  Tens of thousands could be 20,000.  Not sure where you came up with 200 million thousand.

Edited by yogimax
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Well since we have changed this thread to What are your plans for Thanksgiving here's mine

Getting sliced turkey breast at Publix deli

stovetop stuffing

jar of gravy

can cranberry sauce

premade mashed potatoes

And there you have it

That's easy peasy, same effort as mine - I'm picking up a Bob Evans "Farmhouse Feast" LOL

(Just don't pay any attention to the pesky calories, besides I'm getting the smaller size one, said in a trying-to-justify inner voice) 

image.png.7ba9aa207fa2bdebbb5c268453c6ffdf.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Not sure of your number reference.  Tens of thousands could be 20,000.  Not sure where you came up with 200 million thousand.

Maybe you should Google 200 Million Thousand. It’s happened twice and both in Prime Time. 

Take responsibility for yourself. That’s what we do. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

SO.... let's say personally I unknowingly got infected 4 days before embarkation day... I don't know it yet, I'm asymptomatic.

I have the cruise booked on Seadream. I get tested 72 hours before the cruise ... I test negative

I get the rapid test on embarkation day ... also test negative... so I board.

Without a mask, I cough on someone that very day of embarkation.... unfortunately that cruiser may be obese, have asthma, had Pneumonia a couple of times in the past, etc etc. Do they get sick and test positive the very next day?

Masks were not the issue.

It was someone (many someones) got on board who was incubating the virus and did not test positive until AFTER the incubation period.

from what I read there was a group of 5 that all traveled together and they were the first 5 that tested positive.    There is 1 other person (so far) who did Not travel that with that group, didn't meet til on the ship, from what I read online.     

Some people show positive as early as 1 day, 3 to 5 days is the average    Some can be as long as 7 to 10 days   It varies.  

Masks definitely help prevent the spread!!   As well as all the other requirements social distancing and wash hands.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

The point is  not if that other person gets the virus from me...

the point is WHEN that new person actually tests positive after I have infected them.

Masks have zero factor in people getting positive 1 day after getting on board a cruise ship.

Those that are testing positive were incubating the virus before they got on, but did not test positive until they were already on board.

The first person sick tested positive Tuesday, they boarded the ship Saturday morning into the afternoon.    So yes, they probably caught while traveling to Barbados.    All the more reason everyone should have had masks on to prevent the spread.      Passengers #2 thru 6 tested positive Thursday.     the initial positive case is probably someone who didn't follow guidelines and had their mask off somewhere while traveling to Barbados.      Some of these passengers said on an initial interview they went on this cruise because they were guaranteed by SeaDream they would Not have to wear a mask on board.  So they are probably the type of person who does not wear a mask when on land.    Like I said they tried to live the Dream and it failed.     Hopefully all the passengers and anyone they had close contact with will be okay.    

• Like 1

According to the Barbados newspaper, Barbados Today, the infected passengers have disembarked and are quarantined at an isolation facility.  Another news report states the infected are a family of 5 and a married couple for a total of 7 passengers. 

"The infected passengers have been transferred to the isolation facility at Harrison’s, St Lucy, Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George later disclosed in a separate interview with Barbados TODAY."

https://barbadostoday.bb/2020/11/14/still-at-sea/

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here.  We cancelled thanksgiving plans about a month ago.   I love to cook.  I think I will enjoy cooking even more this year as I dont have to rush around like a crazy lady to get my house ready and set up everything for 10 to 12 people.  I can eat whatever time it is ready will be nice too, No pressure to a timeline.

Same here.  I'm actually looking forward to staying home and not being in a hurry getting all the animals fed and leaving for the day.   

I bought an 8 pound turkey and instead of roasting it whole will spatchcock it.   There will be plenty for leftovers and the dog hand outs also.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That stinks no balcony cabins on that ship.  I definitely would not want to be quarantined in an oceanview or interior cabin.  

That indeed would be very tough.  We use our balcony all of the time when on a ship.  We've done oceanview and it is ok, but I don't think we would be happy in an interior room.....a glass of wine, a book, and some sunshine (or at least no rain)......

21 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes there could be more as the incubation takes up to 14 days. I can't say this enough; it was not wise on their part to not require masks and social distancing at the beginning of the cruise.  Since the whole world is watching now, this will not make it easy for the other cruise lines. 

This just boggles my mind. They eliminated the most important precautions.   During this entire pandemic a major topic of conversation was wearing masks and social distancing.  Royal Caribbean even has a plan for the passengers to wear them while sitting on deck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

They erroneously thought their other precautions made them bulletproof.

Yes, and they relied too heavily on testing.  As they now know, testing alone is not the silver bullet. They were also overconfident having sailed practically all summer in Europe with no incidents.

Unfortunately, they have made the situation more complex for the other cruise lines which have included masks and social distancing into their protocols early on in their plans for when cruising resumes. Politicians urging the CDC to extend the NSO in the US, is a direct result of this fiasco. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest from Ben and David who are on the Sea Dream I, posted 35 minutes ago:

"We've had a good update from the Captain who is continuously waiting for local authorities to update him. It looks like we are all set to leave today with extra special precautions in place to keep us and those around us protected."

Looks like they are still on the ship. 

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Latest from Ben and David who are on the Sea Dream I, posted 35 minutes ago:

"We've had a good update from the Captain who is continuously waiting for local authorities to update him. It looks like we are all set to leave today with extra special precautions in place to keep us and those around us protected."

Looks like they are still on the ship. 

I suspect more positive cases will result based on the fact covid positive people were walking, dining, at bar, etc. with no masks.     I hope they are Not simply letting these passengers get on a commercial airplane to head home.     That would very foolish.    Exactly why the CDC wants every cruiseline out entering or sailing out of US water to have housing set up in case there is an outbreak.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I suspect more positive cases will result based on the fact covid positive people were walking, dining, at bar, etc. with no masks.     I hope they are Not simply letting these passengers get on a commercial airplane to head home.     That would very foolish.    Exactly why the CDC wants every cruiseline out entering or sailing out of US water to have housing set up in case there is an outbreak.  

I completely agree.  There is a very high probability that more people are infected and contagious and haven't tested positive yet.  Allowing these people to board planes is highly irresponsible, IMHO. 

• Like 2