90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

16 hours ago, BND said:

The NY Times has a vaccine wait time calculator that was linked by our county.  With no health related issues, I'm behind something like 256 million people.  If I check yes to the health related issues box I am at about 25 million.  My only health issue is I'm overweight, slightly obese by BMI chart standards, but I have issues with BMI as it doesn't tell the whole story.  I was always the skinny young girl and weighed less than 100 lbs when I graduated HS.   What it doesn't say is whether you have to prove you have a health issue before getting the vaccine early on.   At 60 with no health issues, I'm at the same place in line as a healthy 40 year old.

Interesting to read this as you obviously have different criteria in the US to the UK. We have 9 categories, the highest priority being those in care homes for older adults and their carers and the 9th category being those over 50. At over 60 you would be in the 7th category and so far nothing has been published as to what will happen to those remaining once all those over 50, along with health and social care workers and those with serious underlying health conditions, have been vaccinated.

Edited by Bobal

3 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Interesting to read this as you obviously have different criteria in the US to the UK. We have 9 categories, the highest priority being those in care homes for older adults and their carers and the 9th category being those over 50. At over 60 you would be in the 7th category and so far nothing has been published as to what will happen to those remaining once all those over 50, along with health and social care workers and those with serious underlying health conditions, have been vaccinated.

Each state in reality is setting their own, but it starts with health care workers and senior care facilities and then probably over 65.  My feeling is what will happen, is that once health care workers and seniors and those with co-morbidities are vaccinated, it will just be opened up to anyone else who wants it.  My DH will end up getting it before me due to his type II diabetes and asthma.  But, I plan to go as soon as it's available to me.

1 minute ago, BND said:

Each state in reality is setting their own, but it starts with health care workers and senior care facilities and then probably over 65.  My feeling is what will happen, is that once health care workers and seniors and those with co-morbidities are vaccinated, it will just be opened up to anyone else who wants it.  My DH will end up getting it before me due to his type II diabetes and asthma.  But, I plan to go as soon as it's available to me.

Ours is a nationwide strategy which will be handled via our local health authorities who will contact people when it is their turn. Mine will get it earlier than me as he falls into an older age bracket, but I will be ready and waiting for my call.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, Tree_skier said:

Yeah and there is no long term consequence to a child being abducted. It's just like losing keys, easily replaced at the little kiosk down at the mall.

Children missing is more often than not just that for a little while. Not abducted.

I just want to get the vaccine and feel like progress is being made. People are dying every day. Let's get the show started. I hope the fda is actually starting looking at data and not planning the xmas vacations. 

This covid stuff just feels to me like it goes on and on. I want to hear news about mock cruises here in the usa, inspections, let us know some kind of time line we can think about. I was iffy about my feb 2021 b2b, now I'm iffy about my april cruise. It feels like the starting by date just keeps getting pushed back further and further with no real progress. Lol I've heard 3 or 4 months ... for months now. People were sure there would be some cruises by the end of 2020 as I remember. 

• Like 1

US States have control but CDC Guidance/Recommendation is Healthcare Workers and Nursing Homes 1st, hoping starting this month.   Second January is Phase 1B: 87 Million Essential Workers Teachers, Police, Firefighters, Food Production and Transportation Workers.   Next would be Phase 1C: 153 Million Over 65 and High-Risk Medical Conditions...  Nothing further listed, Goal is try get 70% population covered. Not sure if goal would ever get 100% population anyway, hard get 50% get Flu shot each yr. Know when I was in Military we were one the first get Vaccines, even had couple Emergency experimental but 10 days ago Pentagon said there is no schedule when Military would get it. Also that so far only 13 US Military have died from CV, 1 Active Duty and 12 Reservists. Kids and me a Healthy Adult be one the last, but receive opportunity I'd take it as I'm around very at risk Family.

Edited by ONECRUISER

17 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

US States have control but CDC Guidance/Recommendation is Healthcare Workers and Nursing Homes 1st, hoping starting this month.   Second January is Phase 1B: 87 Million Essential Workers Teachers, Police, Firefighters, Food Production and Transportation Workers.   Next would be Phase 1C: 153 Million Over 65 High-Risk Medical Conditions...  Nothing further listed, Goal is try get 70% population covered. Not sure if goal would ever get 100% population anyway, hard get 50% get Flu shot each yr. Know when I was in Military we were one the first get Vaccines, even had couple Emergency experimental but 10 days ago Pentagon said there is no schedule when Military would get it. Kids and me a Healthy Adult be one the last, but receive opportunity I'd take it as I'm around very at risk Family.

Sounds like there should be a decimal place in each of those numbers.  8.7  million essential workers and 15.3 million over 65 that are high risk.

the last census had 54 million people aged 65 and over so 15.3 million is just over 25% of them with high risk medical conditions. 

totals 24 million people x 2 doses 48 million doses by January...sounds about right. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sounds like there should be a decimal place in each of those numbers.  8.7  million essential workers and 15.3 million over 65 that are high risk.

the last census had 54 million people aged 65 and over so 15.3 million is just over 35% of them with high risk medical conditions. 

totals 24 million people x 3 doses 48 million doses by January...sounds about right. 

Sorry fixed it while you were replying it is 153 Million over 65 AND high risk. Just did quick check on 3 sites and it's correct as I fixed it. Though wouldnt be first time EVERY Site states numbers wrong

Edited by ONECRUISER

I cant imagine it's going to be that cut and dried here. Who is essential worker? My neighbor distributing liquor is considered front line worker, a family member working at chewy? Our pets have to eat. 

A lot of the over 65 cant just wait in a line for the shot, my parents couldn't. 

Time will tell ... though I'm more than ready to see someone get it here, get the roll out started. 

Texas will get 1.4 doses to start is about all we know going to health care workers. We havent been told yet by our state much more. Well of course those in nursing homes early on too. After that seems to get fuzzy.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

About 17 million people are employed in the healthcare sector, not including self employed doctors. That suggests an awful lot of people working in healthcare are not considered essential.

This is the order of vaccinations in the UK. The first ones (Pfizer) are due to take place from Tuesday onwards. However there are already concerns that, because of the storage and transportation issues, the first vaccines will need to be carried out in hospitals which could mean logistical problems getting care home residents there. At least it seems we're ready to go and just hope that - like many other things with our government - we don't mess up and do make sure every single one of those doses goes to someone.

Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers

All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers

All those 75 years of age and over

All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

All those 65 years of age and over.

All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality

All those 60 years of age and over

All those 55 years of age and over

All those 50 years of age and over

• Like 1

There should be no need to move care home residents. While the Pfizer vaccine needs extremely low temperatures for long term storage, it has to be defrosted and brought up to a more comfortable temperature before injection. A process that takes a fair amount of time. I believe once defrosted the vaccine is good for at least a day or two in a fridge.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, broberts said:

There should be no need to move care home residents. While the Pfizer vaccine needs extremely low temperatures for long term storage, it has to be defrosted and brought up to a more comfortable temperature before injection. A process that takes a fair amount of time. I believe once defrosted the vaccine is good for at least a day or two in a fridge.

Five days is what I have been told but I am not sure of the accuracy of that number.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, broberts said:

About 17 million people are employed in the healthcare sector, not including self employed doctors. That suggests an awful lot of people working in healthcare are not considered essential.

I dont think non essential just not enough to go around.

They said here let's say 5 nurses on the same shift, they will vaccinate them separately in case one doesnt feel well the next day, they dont have overlap ...draw straws? 

I'm still trying to figure out the 40m for uk and 40m for usa, you would we would have ordered more, for more population

Edited by firefly333

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They said here let's say 5 nurses on the same shift, they will vaccinate them separately in case one doesnt feel well the next day, they dont have overlap ...draw straws? 

I'm still trying to figure out the 40m for uk and 40m for usa, you would we would have ordered more, for more population

I don't want to sound callous but I would imagine the scientists will be studying any adverse effects in older people and the generally younger health care staff to make a risk analysis on how they move forward. If it is possible the risk from the vaccine is greater than the risk from covid-19 in certain parts of the population and long term effects are unknown it would make logical sense not to be reliant on only one vaccine for a population. It all comes down to a risk management equation. 

From a nurse friend of mine she told me that they are spacing out the first doses over a period of time so nursing staff can provide cover in case of an adverse reaction 

6 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

I don't want to sound callous but I would imagine the scientists will be studying any adverse effects in older people and the generally younger health care staff to make a risk analysis on how they move forward. If it is possible the risk from the vaccine is greater than the risk from covid-19 in certain parts of the population and long term effects are unknown it would make logical sense not to be reliant on only one vaccine for a population. It all comes down to a risk management equation. 

From a nurse friend of mine she told me that they are spacing out the first doses over a period of time so nursing staff can provide cover in case of an adverse reaction 

The last line you repeated exactly what I said. You sound like you disagree and then repeat what I said we are doing here. That's exactly why they are spacing it out, and not giving it to all staff on the same shift at the same time. 

Only difference was I said there aren't enough doses to go around even to health care workers, who gets it first of the nursing staff. Draw straws. 

Dont get why you quoted me tbh. But ok. We agree. 

52 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was surprised at the relatively low number committed to the US. It would be interesting to learn if that was a number set by the government or the supplier.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

I was surprised at the relatively low number committed to the US. It would be interesting to learn if that was a number set by the government or the supplier.

And then pfeizer said I think it was Thursday due to ingredients not being up to snuff only half would be shipped on time., I didnt exactly like to hear that some ingredients in the vaccine didnt pass the quality test. The only good surprise was merck had sold some pfeizer stock they held, and I got a bump there. I had thought I was in all the wrong drug stocks and didnt know merck held some pfe stock. I've been watching every day.

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:The last line you repeated exactly what I said. You sound like you disagree and then repeat what I said we are doing here. That's exactly why they are spacing it out, and not giving it to all staff on the same shift at the same time. 

Only difference was I said there aren't enough doses to go around even to health care workers, who gets it first of the nursing staff. Draw straws. 

Dont get why you quoted me tbh. But ok. We agree. 

My nursing license is in Indiana, I received an email from the state this week explaining their plan for who will be vaccinated first in hospitals. Highest risk staff who work in COVID designated units and ER  will be first up. Employers are to assign each staff member a number, and vaccinations will be done by number.

Sherri🙂

On 11/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, livingonthebeach said:

I get my regular flu vaccines every year at Publix.  They have a very good system and allow you to register online.  When you get there, there is no paperwork to fill out, just get the free shot and a $10 gift card to boot.  I would be happy if Publix would carry the CV-19 vaccine. 

CVS works the same way minus the gift card. People weren't happy when I walked in at my appointed time and jumped the line. Most were still with clipboard in hand.

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was thinking a similar thing for the nursing homes.  Do you vaccinate the entire nursing home on the same day or stagger it?   What happens if most of the nursing home suffers side effects after receiving the vaccine?  There may not be resources available to tend to everyone.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I was thinking a similar thing for the nursing homes.  Do you vaccinate the entire nursing home on the same day or stagger it?   What happens if most of the nursing home suffers side effects after receiving the vaccine?  There may not be resources available to tend to everyone.

I'm around my parents and I'm a senior, and they are elderly, but could be front line workers like grocery store workers first. Even the news says past nursing homes the order is murky.. I heard 2 different doctors just this morning arguing about the order. My bil and sister both have underlying conditions and doing church and she gets her  nails done. He says god will protect him. I worry about them being around my parents, but my mom says she isnt shutting them out. 

I'd sure like to get this started. ... and it's not me I'm worried about.....but even doctors are arguing about the order. I heard by april or may everyone who wants the vaccine should be able to get it this morning. I just hope none of us gets it before then, my fingers are crossed. The more vaccinated the safer the rest of us are.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bobal said:

This is the order of vaccinations in the UK. The first ones (Pfizer) are due to take place from Tuesday onwards. However there are already concerns that, because of the storage and transportation issues, the first vaccines will need to be carried out in hospitals which could mean logistical problems getting care home residents there. At least it seems we're ready to go and just hope that - like many other things with our government - we don't mess up and do make sure every single one of those doses goes to someone.

Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers

All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers

All those 75 years of age and over

All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

All those 65 years of age and over.

All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality

All those 60 years of age and over

All those 55 years of age and over

All those 50 years of age and over

Similar schedules have been floated here in the States.  But thus far each state will impose it's own schedule.  I believe the focus has been on frontline health workers first in all 50 states.  

People need to understand that these vaccines will take time to administer.

Also, I saw some news reports on various sites that are saying that the so-called asymptomatic people are not showing up as  infection transmitters in contract tracing.  so that's some good news.