I'm optimistic that I'll cruise tour Alaska in May so...Black Friday sales?

MudderBear

Hello.  Have deposits on both HAL and Princess for a cruise/tour in May.  I have all of the bonuses they have offered, and cruise prices are fairly the same.    Only thing I don't have is free food in Denali (which I had last year....)

On the cruise this past May that I had to cancel, I had all the bells and whistles on my HAL cruise PLUS a bonus of all my food paid for in Denali and the train ride in the Yukon.  I booked this during last November's black friday sale.   I know that none of us know now if we'll even be cruise next May, but what do you think the chances are of HAL or Princess sweetening the pot a bit?

Your thoughts would great. (and yes, I know its only predictions.....)

Edited by MudderBear
  • Thanks 1

I think the chances of Alaskan cruises happening in May are not good.  It is because of two words, COVID and Canada!  If Canada does not reopen (Victoria and/or Vancouver) to cruises there will be no Alaskan cruise season.   While folks can certainly hope that Canada changes their lock out position, it is doubtful that it will happen prior to next Spring.    The one hope would be with vaccines, but based on the folks being named to Pres-Elect Biden's COVID Commission one can expect a "go it slow" attitude vis-a-vis vaccines.   There are two competing attitudes about vaccines.  The current folks (i.e. Trump administration) want to speed up approvals (even using EUAs) in order to fast track vaccines and therapeutics to the market.  But the incoming Biden folks seem to lean more towards a "go it slow and cautious" which usually translates into more time for vaccine/drug testing.  The norm to bring a new vaccine to market is about 3 -5 years.....not the 4-8 months that seems to be the current goal.

I would emphasize that this is not really a political issue as much as a philosophical debate that has been going on in the regulatory world for many decades.  We had these same battles during the earlier days of the HIV/Aids epidemic until the fast track folks finally won out.  But the reasoning, at the time, was that AIDS was nearly 100% fatal so it made sense to take a risk on new drugs.  With COVID, the fatality rate is under 1% (guestimate since not everyone is tested) so gambling on new vaccines and drugs will generate lots of debate (risk vs reward).

Hank 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Since there will certainly be demand, can't they run 14 day cruises with a stop in Ensenada?  Obviously that's a lot of sea days and I would never consider such a cruise but apparently there are lots of folks that would be thrilled with being stuck on a ship with limited port days.

Based on the CDC recommendations that nix cruises of over 7 days, it looks unlikely that will happen.  Carnival just released a statement that all their sailings out of US ports that are over 7 days are now canceled through October 2021 ... I can't imagine the others will be too far behind.  

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-axes-longer-cruises-through-october-2021/?fbclid=IwAR3ICFmryiDg6ELGwVkwDuODG0Hzd4vld-rogQqJJIgRSszmtMDlU-ow8a8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current Princess promo is running Nov 3rd to Nov 23rd. I would expect another promo to begin soon after that. Black Friday is Nov. 27th. It's a toss up on sailing in May as there are so many variables. Regarding vaccines, assuming the results remain as just reported there will not be enough vaccine in the U.S.to handle the front line workers and responders until sometime during the 2nd qtr. Canadian supplies may also be very short during this time. Without Canada opening up it's ports there would be no Alaska cruises. 

• Thanks 1

I signed on to the 10-day Alaska with Princess.  I was surprised they were even going to Alaska when I did.  I'm not holding my breath it will even leave SF in May.  So much hangs on getting the vaccines.  I will not be surprised if they require taking the vaccine before boarding.  And the 7-day limit for cruising is a little stiff.  What, pray tell, was their reasoning behind such a short travel allowance?  Also Canada's tie up of her ports is not an easy snag to get around, either.  I paid my reservation fee and, like you, I'm pacing my little room while I wait.

9 hours ago, 2old4this said:

What, pray tell, was their reasoning behind such a short travel allowance?  

The thinking could be that in case of an on board outbreak it would only have to be controlled for a short time with all passengers confined in their cabins just a few days. On a 7 night cruise ships would remain about 1 or 2 days sailing from home port.

Since the cruise is designed to be for 10 days and not 7, it tells me Princess is speculating that the vaccine will be changing conditions come May 2021.  I think Princess will also ask guests to be tested within 3-days of boarding.  Proof of testing might expedite boarding, as well.

I'm feeling cabinized!  Meaning too many months in my cabin.  My home is fairly large but has become small thus I'm cabinized and need to cruise even if I must do the rowing.  A cruise to Alaska will get me beyond the feeling of 'closed-in', cabinized, and frankly, I can't wait.  I lost my precious mate, Freda, nearly 2-years ago, and the loneliness of that abrupt separation makes my cabinization even more difficult.  This rule of 7-days is not helping one bit.   Pray we get the vaccines in time and all things change.  I'm willing to warmly endorse all sorts of health protocols once aboard, bring them on, and let's 'Go to Alaska'.  What say?

• Like 2

Just now, 2old4this said:

I'm feeling cabinized!  Meaning too many months in my cabin.  My home is fairly large but has become small thus I'm cabinized and need to cruise even if I must do the rowing.  A cruise to Alaska will get me beyond the feeling of 'closed-in', cabinized, and frankly, I can't wait.  I lost my precious mate, Freda, nearly 2-years ago, and the loneliness of that abrupt separation makes my cabinization even more difficult.  This rule of 7-days is not helping one bit.   Pray we get the vaccines in time and all things change.  I'm willing to warmly endorse all sorts of health protocols once aboard, bring them on, and let's 'Go to Alaska'.  What say?

Don't mind me regarding my adding brand new words to my vocabulary: Cabinize and the offshoots, cabinized and cabinization.  Another about to be uncovered is Cabininary; one who polices those who are forcibly cabinized.  Words are fun, so bear with me.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:07 PM, nini said:

Unfortunately, with the new CDC rulings, no ship will be doing an

itinerary longer than 7 nights if it involves an American port. This is

through November 2021.

I wonder if that will mean they will put on sale add ons for those of us who already have longer voyages.  They can't sell the cruise but they can sell the meals, the air fare, the excursions, etc....

45 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I wonder if that will mean they will put on sale add ons for those of us who already have longer voyages.  They can't sell the cruise but they can sell the meals, the air fare, the excursions, etc....

If the longer cruises have no chance of actually happening (until next November if out of a US port ... unless the order is modified), why would anyone purchase those extras?  Am I misinterpreting your post?

22 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

If the longer cruises have no chance of actually happening (until next November if out of a US port ... unless the order is modified), why would anyone purchase those extras?  Am I misinterpreting your post?

No you are not misinterpreting me but I think with the vaccine on the horizon my July cruise is a safe bet for me and I am willing to gamble with my own money.   There is always a risk when you buy anything in life and your own financial attitudes and liquidity determines which risks you are willing to take.  

49 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No you are not misinterpreting me but I think with the vaccine on the horizon my July cruise is a safe bet for me and I am willing to gamble with my own money.   There is always a risk when you buy anything in life and your own financial attitudes and liquidity determines which risks you are willing to take.  

I can appreciate your positive attitude.  

4 hours ago, 2old4this said:

My last cruise was in November 2019 to Hawaii.  A long sweet voyage to paradise on a Princess.  Just before China released the global bug.  I did a report of that trip and you can view it here.  Jack  

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf 1.78 MB · 3 downloads

I'm hoping those of you who have downloaded my photo/text essay re: Hawaii, will comment on my recall of trip.  Jack

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Based on the CDC recommendations that nix cruises of over 7 days, it looks unlikely that will happen.  Carnival just released a statement that all their sailings out of US ports that are over 7 days are now canceled through October 2021 ... I can't imagine the others will be too far behind.  

Retailers typically offer steep discounts on Black Friday to kick off the holiday season. It's a critical day for the retail sector, as the holiday season accounts for 20% or more of annual sales for many retailers.

Edited by michaelessayhelp

On 11/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, nini said:

through November 2021.

And the CDC has never ever changed its rulings because of changing situations.  Nope they never change anything they rule on. Never happens.

On 11/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, 2old4this said:

I'm hoping those of you who have downloaded my photo/text essay re: Hawaii, will comment on my recall of trip.  Jack

On 11/15/2020 at 8:54 AM, 2old4this said:

My last cruise was in November 2019 to Hawaii.  A long sweet voyage to paradise on a Princess.  Just before China released the global bug.  I did a report of that trip and you can view it here.  Jack  

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf 1.78 MB · 15 downloads

Released??  Are you suggesting that they made it in a lab specifically to infect the rest of the world?

DON

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:07 PM, nini said:

through November 2021.

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

And the CDC has never ever changed its rulings because of changing situations.  Nope they never change anything they rule on. Never happens.

The CDC did say that the November 1 date might change based on the status of the pandemic.

However cruise lines cannot currently sell the longer voyages that fall within that time period.

17 hours ago, michaelessayhelp said:

Retailers typically offer steep discounts on Black Friday to kick off the holiday season. It's a critical day for the retail sector, as the holiday season accounts for 20% or more of annual sales for many retailers.

Maybe you posted this under the wrong post but, just not seeing what one has to do with the other.  If you meant this to respond to my quote, whether or not a cruiseline sells a cruise does not necessarily mean it is going to operate under said itinerary.  We've all seen quite a bit of that happen since March of this year.