Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

On 12/7/2020 at 6:39 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I believe that once things return to normal, post virus, you will begin to see the “kids sail free” cruises.   Personally, we avoid them.   We were seated next to a couple with a two year old who needed a booster seat.   At every meal food was flung from the table necessitating three adjacent tables remain unoccupied.   The floor required vacuuming and liquid carpet cleaner after each meal.     We learned to avoid the restaurant when this family was eating.   I can understand the extra charges for children.

From my perspective, "Kids Sail Free" is the worst promotion a cruise line can offer.  I would prefer a "Kids Pay Double" promotion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

From my perspective, "Kids Sail Free" is the worst promotion a cruise line can offer.  I would prefer a "Kids Pay Double" promotion.

(  Just for a bit of Detroit ( ??? )  fun )

Are you the guy YOU used to hate when YOU were a kid ??

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The below slide was on a travel agent webinar and describes who they will be "obsessively"  focusing on and marketing to with their new "Always Included" pricing structure and "New Luxury" branding.  It's Gen-X and they are not ashamed to admit that Baby Boomers are no longer the core demographic they want to attract or retain!  It's all about the $$$$, and they see Gen-X as more profitable per guest/day than any other cohort.

image.png.1f0c50ef6da90c84cd04b9a9432db959.png

I wonder if the person who wrote this has ever been on a Celebrity ship.

Hard to see from the photo, but that looks like a teen and pre-teen in the background.  Virtually nothing for them to do on a Celebrity ship if they don't like laying by the pool.  

imho, family= Royal Caribbean, not X

We're GenX and like X because it's an active-adult crowd, not a family cruise.  Though we enjoy sailing with our adult kids who also prefer X over RCCL for the adult-focus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 12:44 PM, C-Dragons said:

Oh, I know.

But this isn’t the first time that X has missed the mark with marketing, and it probably won’t be the last. We've been through this before.

Hopefully X will have some success with this current “metamorphosis”. I wish them luck.

Celebrity Cruises has never been the same since the current president took control. She sees a very different world then most common seniors do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

Celebrity Cruises has never been the same since the current president took control. She sees a very different world then most common seniors do.

She is not a senior so how can see it though their eyes , she only 63 

she must be doing something right she been in the position for 6 years 

“She doubled operating income; delivered double-digit ROIC and double-digit yield improvement; and increased EBITDA by 70%.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

“She doubled operating income; delivered double-digit ROIC and double-digit yield improvement; and increased EBITDA by 70%.”

And she is smartly not looking for just seniors to book a cruise, there are many fish in the sea, she has cast a wide net, and apparently has succeeded.  I say good on her, I am 61 and would love to see younger, older, mid-range on-board.  I believe that is the world that she sees.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

You give her all the credit when things go well, remember who should get the blame when it doesn’t rebound as fast, if ever. Or even worse if it goes belly up by this fall.

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You give her all the credit when things go well, remember who should get the blame when it doesn’t rebound as fast, if ever. Or even worse if it goes belly up by this fall.

Love it, the power of positive thinking!!

2 hours ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

Classy and upscale are are not limited by age. Her product is  mostly Royal C with a bit of X thrown in!

• Like 2

Just now, grandgeezer said:

Shutdown for ten months and no end in sight, how’s that positive thinking working for you?

My glass is always half full, sounds like your may be half empty.  Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

And she is smartly not looking for just seniors to book a cruise, there are many fish in the sea, she has cast a wide net, and apparently has succeeded.  I say good on her, I am 61 and would love to see younger, older, mid-range on-board.  I believe that is the world that she sees.

The various age group perspective makes sense.  The "family cruise" perspective is mind-boggling. 

Either X is going to heavily invest in turning into RCL, or there will be scores of parents that never hear the end of it for picking the wrong cruise line. 

14 minutes ago, D C said:

The various age group perspective makes sense.  The "family cruise" perspective is mind-boggling. 

Either X is going to heavily invest in turning into RCL, or there will be scores of parents that never hear the end of it for picking the wrong cruise line. 

Very good points!  I think the overall targets are: late 20's - mid 30's with no kids yet, late 40's - mid 50's kids heading off to college, 60, 70, 80 enjoying their retirement and a break from caring for the grands.  RCL is certainly a family based type of cruise, though not exclusively, that which they offer, rock climbing, go karts, wave riders etc will appeal to that demographic.  Pity the person who does not do their homework first.

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Very good points!  I think the overall targets are: late 20's - mid 30's with no kids yet, late 40's - mid 50's kids heading off to college, 60, 70, 80 enjoying their retirement and a break from caring for the grands.  RCL is certainly a family based type of cruise, though not exclusively, that which they offer, rock climbing, go karts, wave riders etc will appeal to that demographic.  Pity the person who does not do their homework first.

At least one prominent X ad shows a couple in their 40s (?) with a pair of kids in the background who appear to be a teen and a younger sibling. 

6 minutes ago, D C said:

At least one prominent X ad shows a couple in their 40s (?) with a pair of kids in the background who appear to be a teen and a younger sibling. 

Yes, I have seen that.  Kids are not one size fits all, if I had taken my kids when younger on a Celebrity my son would have jumped overboard, my daughter would have loved it.  Another prominent ad, as well as on their website shows a gay couple, mid 30ish, another welcome and financially, demographic they are very smartly targeting.

Edited by LGW59

• LauraS locked this topic