The Daily for Sunday Nov 15, 2020

richwmn

today is America Recycles Day, Clean Your Refrigerator Day, and National Philanthropy Day

There is no time like the present for postponing what you ought to be doing.

Meal suggestion for today - Crispy Chicken with Roasted Carrots and Couscous

Drink of the Day - Screwdriver

Wine of the day - Robert Weil Riesling Qualitätswein Trocken Rheingau Kiedricher Gräfenberg GG vintage 2015

at Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Willemsted eat 11/15
Oosterdam destination Willemstad eta 11/16

Katakolo Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1115World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  A great collection of days although I resemble the quote for the second of the days.  Very nice meal suggestion.  My alternative is Apple, Pear, and Cucumber Salad, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Almond and Orange Cake, as served on the Prinsendam November 18, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes1115.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors and DH, both Covid positive, after her losing reading sight and a serious accident for DH

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

Dfish’s brother

Patience and healing for the USA

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Hope for a vaccine

Improvement for Hflors

Norseh2o spending time with her mom

and Dr. Frederick Banting

Roy                                

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the quote.

It's windy and rainy here today, a good day to stay home and clean out the fridge.🙂

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but I think we'll have a nice hot bowl of soup.

Saying prayers for all.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 10

Good morning Rich, Roy, and fellow dailyites.  Thank you both for your dedication to our lists.  Interesting days.  Our county has cut recycling so far back it's basically nothing.  Have cleaned the refrigerator more in the last 7 months than the last 7 years.  LOL

The quote seems to becoming the norm around here.

Screwdriver:

Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.  Roy, who is Dr. Banting?
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A stellar combo of days! Though we should celebrate recycling & philanthropy every day! Do we really have to celebrate cleaning out the fridge day?

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Thank you for adding Debbie’s brother & all those touched by COVID. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! We have a stellar white wine today.

Love the quote & the meal sounds delicious! A screwdriver! I have not had one in decades.  @Dismomx5 hoping to see you post soon.

Prayers for all who need our support.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

A dry Riesling with a stellar rating! I found it online with a couple US vendors - prices started at $59.99. 

#99 Wine SpectatorTop 100 of 2017

This Riesling represents the top quality of Robert Weil's dry wines. Lemon yellow in color, it exudes a beautiful perfume of the finest fruity and floral notes -- including aromas of apricot, grapefruit, quince, lychee, physalis, lilac and elderflowers. On the palate, it emerges with ripe and juicy fruit flavors that are clear and persistent and of great density. Showing minerality and notes of fine spices, with a creamy finish, the wine easily passes over the tongue, revealing its complexity and enormous depth. A true powerhouse with great storage potential.

Can be enjoyed alone or with seafood, cheese and white meat.

WS95

Wine Spectator:  Very rich and complex, with enveloping flavors of baked apple, ripe citrus, nectarine and dried pear supported by a powerful structure. Lush midpalate, with a notes of dried guava, followed by unctuous spiciness on the finish, with accents of white chocolate, chamomile and dried herbs. Best from 2018 through 2026.
  • Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We recycled a ton of stuff yesterday by cleaning out our "library" area (a place to put things we don't know what to do with), and donating most of it to the Salvation Army.

@summer slopeDr Banting is the co-discoverer of insulin, and a fellow Canadian.  I'm with you on the fridge-cleaning thing, but also cooking; I've cooked more these past 7 months than I think I have our whole marriage!  LOL

@cat shepardthis thread is a great educational tool; I had to look up what physalis was - I've never encountered one! 

Clean out your refrigerator day is a good one - that's the day I make "fridge soup".  I take almost all of what's leftover (wilting veggies, leftover meats, etc) and put them together with a broth for soup.  No two pots of this soup are ever the same.  Fridge soup and fresh buns will be what's on our menu tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking our glasses tonight to toast everyone on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate recycling and philanthropy.  Recycling is so easy here now with curbside pick up every 2 weeks on compost day.

I’m not sure on the Clean your Refrigerator Day.  I think I’ll apply today’s quote to that one & postpone. 😉 

Meal suggestion sounds good.  I do have left over chicken - hmmmm.  But, I think it’s seafood chowder for tonight - a charity fundraiser.  Curbside pick up this afternoon 😄 

It’s pretty cold out there today, but I guess Alexa is right:

C1A6D526-6E0C-4503-AA26-F20A9460844E.thumb.jpeg.d427bee6df7edb83b2a81c479b992839.jpeg

Thought I would share this amazing picture.  My friend shared it with me from my home town.  Over the Bay of Quinte in Ontario.

FC00C25B-FB0E-4EF1-9C00-39A23948EF9C.thumb.jpeg.23fd7ba91c68ed2a0adab78c5665ef59.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care List & for all who need them and a toast to all those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday, everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your  masks.😷 

• Like 21

52 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the quote.

It's windy and rainy here today, a good day to stay home and clean out the fridge.🙂

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but I think we'll have a nice hot bowl of soup.

Saying prayers for all.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

Windy and raining here too.  I guess that's better than snow....  🙂

• Like 8

Good morning Rich. Thank you for being here when I sit down for my coffee:}

Good morning Daily-ites, my sweet sisters, summer and Roy. Thank you for your dedication, prayer list and cheers list. My prayers are going out to the world to tackle this horrid virus. It is so scary. We don't know what will happen when the weather is too cool to sit outside at a restaurant. Probably just hunker down and stay close to home..

Chicken sounds good, but last night we had air fryer chicken wings. I am thinking halibut maybe..

I am a clean nut, so don't judge me, but I clean and wipe my refrigerator every day..

@cat shepard.. Ann, we actually have a covid test drive thru at Chick-Fil-A over in Wolf Ranch. Kid you not. 

Jacqui, your friends picture should be painted by Denise @DeeniEncinitas, it is beautiful!

I missed the end of yesterdays posts, but loved reading the Christmas and cookie ideas. I am Bohemian, so I always make kolache cookies and yeasty cookies. The cookie below is filled with nut meats, one of my favorites.

Kifle

Everyone have a lovely Blessed Sunday. Call a loved one. Stay safe and don't give up! (And remember to clean your fridge)

image.jpeg.865b4a04880849ab4c579defaa286d82.jpeg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Windy and raining here too.  I guess that's better than snow....  🙂

Chilly but not bad here now, but wind and rain later in the day.  I made sure I got my walk in early.

Roy

• Like 5

Good morning all.  We are right in to recycling, hardly any “garbage” these days.  Philanthropy - giving DGS $$ for his birthday that we will celebrate today.  The meal suggestion sounds good for another day as we are having chicken tonight, Greek style - on skewers.  The drink is one of my favs.  I live the quote!😂.  Thanks to all who contribute to make this a happy place to visit each day - we have a lot of lookers - 1300 yesterday!  A busy day, make lemon meringue pies, wrap presents, make a birthday card and then help DH prepare the birthday feast that DGS has asked for (he’s turning 12).  My best to all, enjoy a peaceful Sunday.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning Rich, Roy, and fellow dailyites.  Thank you both for your dedication to our lists.  Interesting days.  Our county has cut recycling so far back it's basically nothing.  Have cleaned the refrigerator more in the last 7 months than the last 7 years.  LOL

The quote seems to becoming the norm around here.

Screwdriver:

Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.  Roy, who is Dr. Banting?
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Is it ok to do 2 parts vodka and 1 part OJ 😎😄😜

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich. Thank you for being here when I sit down for my coffee:}

Good morning Daily-ites, my sweet sisters, summer and Roy. Thank you for your dedication, prayer list and cheers list. My prayers are going out to the world to tackle this horrid virus. It is so scary. We don't know what will happen when the weather is too cool to sit outside at a restaurant. Probably just hunker down and stay close to home..

Chicken sounds good, but last night we had air fryer chicken wings. I am thinking halibut maybe..

I am a clean nut, so don't judge me, but I clean and wipe my refrigerator every day..

@cat shepard.. Ann, we actually have a covid test drive thru at Chick-Fil-A over in Wolf Ranch. Kid you not. 

Jacqui, your friends picture should be painted by Denise @DeeniEncinitas, it is beautiful!

I missed the end of yesterdays posts, but loved reading the Christmas and cookie ideas. I am Bohemian, so I always make kolache cookies and yeasty cookies. The cookie below is filled with nut meats, one of my favorites.

Kifle

Everyone have a lovely Blessed Sunday. Call a loved one. Stay safe and don't give up! (And remember to clean your fridge)

image.jpeg.865b4a04880849ab4c579defaa286d82.jpeg

Those look pretty good.  My Mom used to make something similar around Christmas, can’t remember what they were called.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Those look pretty good.  My Mom used to make something similar around Christmas, can’t remember what they were called.

We call them rohlichke, or rohlicky. My aunts and uncle moved to our little town of Algonquin from Chicago when I was about 5. They cooked and baked all day Saturday and we would all eat together on Sunday. We danced and my uncles played the guitar, drums and concertina. We celebrated all of the Bohemian holidays. I learned to bake from really little.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We call them rohlichke, or rohlicky. My aunts and uncle moved to our little town of Algonquin from Chicago when I was about 5. They cooked and baked all day Saturday and we would all eat together on Sunday. We danced and my uncles played the guitar, drums and concertina. We celebrated all of the Bohemian holidays. I learned to bake from really little.

Sounds like a good time was had by all!

• Like 5

@bennybearif you go to the website kitchenfrau.com and type Lebkuchen into the search box, the first recipe that pops up is for elisenlebkuchen. The food processor makes quick work of making the dough. I always use the ground nut measurements so that is faster too. Mine get baked on Oblaten (basically large communion wafers) and are not gluten free for that reason. The list of spices seems daunting but if you have access to a bulk barn you can buy them in small quantities. I usually make two batches because they do freeze well. And two batches are necessary in order to have something to freeze! 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  A great collection of days although I resemble the quote for the second of the days.  Very nice meal suggestion.  My alternative is Apple, Pear, and Cucumber Salad, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Almond and Orange Cake, as served on the Prinsendam November 18, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes1115.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors and DH, both Covid positive, after her losing reading sight and a serious accident for DH

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

Dfish’s brother

Patience and healing for the USA

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Hope for a vaccine

Improvement for Hflors

Norseh2o spending time with her mom

and Dr. Frederick Banting

Roy                                

Thanks for the prayer list Roy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Himself said:

Thanks for the Fleet Report Rich.  Thanks to all who contribted to this thread. Itis rainy and dreary Novembd]er day here in Manhattan, IL.

November day and not what is printed above.  Sorry about thst!

• Like 5