The Daily for Sunday Nov 15, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We call them rohlichke, or rohlicky. My aunts and uncle moved to our little town of Algonquin from Chicago when I was about 5. They cooked and baked all day Saturday and we would all eat together on Sunday. We danced and my uncles played the guitar, drums and concertina. We celebrated all of the Bohemian holidays. I learned to bake from really little.

Joy, what great memories. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We call them rohlichke, or rohlicky. My aunts and uncle moved to our little town of Algonquin from Chicago when I was about 5. They cooked and baked all day Saturday and we would all eat together on Sunday. We danced and my uncles played the guitar, drums and concertina. We celebrated all of the Bohemian holidays. I learned to bake from really little.

They look a bit like rugelach, which I think came from Poland's jewish community -- I wonder (from the name) if they are related somewhere way back...

• Like 7

It's a very nice day here in north central Georgia.  We shall enjoy our nice days while we have them.

Speaking of Georgia, please everyone say a prayer of patience for Georgia residents because we get two extra months of political ads on TV.  I thought it would be over Nov. 3 but nooooo!  We all probably know who we plan to vote for in our Senatorial recount so waiting 60 days is torture!!😖

Big announcement for "The Crown" fans on Netflix.  Today is the premier episode for season 4.  I plan to watch it in a little while.  My kids gifted me a year subscription to Netflix for my birthday this year and I feel bad because I haven't watched any lately, just at first.  I will have to make up for lost time.

• Like 12

Cloudy, cold, and dreary here - a good day for baking! Maybe an apple crisp...

Well I forgot to get the cranberry juice when I was shopping yesterday so I had to improvise for our Cosmos last night. There was some guava juice leftover from the goofy cocktails our son made for my birthday so I used that with a bit of grenadine in place of the cranberry juice. It was actually very good! 

Here are two pots of pansies that we had on either side of the front door at the old house. They (the pots not the pansies) now grace the patio at the new place -

DSC01840.thumb.JPG.782c5c0f1653b262c88c71a2d2dd5fbd.JPGDSC01839.thumb.JPG.df2e2b4a03d643619d5a2b91868778c4.JPG

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

@Seasick Sailor, I love the family bonds that are evident in your childhood memory.  A family that eats, dances, and makes music together sounds like a great family to have!  You tell such interesting stories.  Maybe one of these days, we’ll meet on a cruise —-

Thanks so much for all your sharing. 

Oh, that will be lovely! 

• Like 6

Good morning all!  Recycling is big here too.  Pick up every 2 weeks, our tall bin is always full.  If I forget which week is recycling pick up, I just look to see how full the bin is 😉  We also regularly visit the truck that collects donations, slowly cleaning out 26 years of accumulation in this house.   🙂  

The wine (white!) sounds good today.  I haven't had a Screwdriver in years, sounds good.  The meal sounds good too, minus the couscous 😉  

I think I'll postpone cleaning out my refrigerator!  😅

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Good morning , all!  Ido need to clean out the fridge, but having stocked up yesterday, I may put it off until there is a little more space to move things around.  I should have done it yesterday....

It rained early this morning, but there is a bit of blue sky now, and some puffy clouds.  I made a major mess yesterday cleaning out the flower bed, DH cleaned up after me, but I only got about half the  daffodil bulbs planted, so now I have to figure out where to put the rest.  Maybe I will put that off, too.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

This may be a stupid question from a foreigner, but.........

If it is a recount, how can you vote?

they just reprocess the existing ballots, mostly by running thru the scanners again.

• Like 3

Actually, I think StLouisCruisers mis-spoke.  There are 2 things going on in Georgia.  There's a recount on the Presidential Ballot.

The other thing is actually a runoff.  Apparently, in Georgia Senate races a candidate can only win if they get more than 50% of the votes.  In this case, neither of the main candidates reached that threshhold, and there is a second election date January 5 with just the 2 major candidates on the ballot (Actually, this is happening in 2 races, Senate terms are normally staggered but this time there is both a regular 6-year term and filling the term of someone who left office midway through his term.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

This may be a stupid question from a foreigner, but.........

If it is a recount, how can you vote?

Not a stupid question at all.  I realized a while after I posted I used the wrong word.  It is actually a run-off election. A recount is counting all the ballots from our Nov. 3 election and that is going on now.  In the run-off election,  our two Senators were running for re-election and since they didn't receive 50% of the votes against their opponents there is another election held 60 days later.  One Senator had about 16 opponents running against her including a well known Republican congressman.  She and the congressman split the Republican vote.  So a Democrat and the incumbent Senator will run again Jan. 5, and all legal voters in the State of Georgia can vote.  The other Senator got just under 50% so he and his opponent will run again and hopefully one will have more votes this time.  There was a "libertarian" also in that race which moved some of the votes away from the more better known candidates.  So we have only two races to vote in come Jan. 5, and that will determine the party who is in the majority in the Senate.  Right now the Republicans are ahead by two seats.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
paying attention to "The Crown" instead of what I'm typing!
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, looks like we all got that straightened out.  😄

Yes thanks!  For a moment I thought I had discovered voter fraud, but it was fake news.😁😂

@rafinmd thanks for the explanation.  It is the one drawback (in my view) to the UK electoral system that a candidate can, in theory, be elected while receiving less than 50% of the votes cast. 

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Big announcement for "The Crown" fans on Netflix.  Today is the premier episode for season 4.  I plan to watch it in a little while.  My kids gifted me a year subscription to Netflix for my birthday this year and I feel bad because I haven't watched any lately, just at first.  I will have to make up for lost time.

Such great news!  I love “The Crown”.  I also love Netflix. If you love food there is so much to watch. One of my favorites is “Somebody Feed Phil”. He is so gregarious and his happiness is so infectious.  

• Like 5

Governor Inslee just made an announcement re more Covid restrictions for our state (WA).  Back to March restrictions -- work from home, restaurants and bars closed (take-out and outdoor dining allowed), no indoor socializing outside of your household, no more than 5 people outside your household if outdoor socializing...those are the ones I remember.  It doesn't affect us as we're retired, haven't been doing any in-dining in restaurants, and we'd already planned on going to the ocean for a few days over Thanksgiving so we won't be socializing with anyone 😉  Our numbers are the worst ever, and doubled recently.  😞  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone! Thank you for the Daily Rich. Loved the picture of your little helper. We had a calico years ago and named her Callie. 

Thank you for your lists Roy. Loved your pictures of your meal and sunrise. 

The quote today is so me. However I can’t postpone cleaning the fridge much longer because I need to make space for Thanksgiving. We bought a new fridge in June which I absolutely love but there is so much more space that food just seems to disappear into the deepest recesses. The meal suggestion sounds good but I think we will have salmon tacos tonight. I have all the fixings but I always try to have taco ingredients on hand because they are an easy meal. Oh, and I love screwdrivers, haven’t had one in ages though. 

@kazu your picture was amazing, absolutely dreamy looking. My hairdresser is an artist and I think I might show her this picture. 

@Hflors I hope you and DH are better with no complications. 

Have a great day everyone!  Wear your mask and wear it correctly!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the Fleet Report Rich.  Thanks to all who contribted to this thread. Itis rainy and dreary Novembd]er day here in Manhattan, IL.

4 hours ago, Himself said:

November day and not what is printed above.  Sorry about thst!

Here I thought you were celebrating a Scandinavian holiday, and was waiting to learn more about it! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Good morning, all! Like @kazu and @cat shepard, I’m happy to celebrate recycling and philanthropy, but not so excited about cleaning the fridge. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I think about today’s quote. I could certainly go for a Surf and Turf dinner, but the fridge says otherwise. Clearly revenge for not celebrating its day!

After a strange mix of rain, sleet, and hail overnight, we have a welcome window of sunshine. The clouds are returning, but we’ll make hay while, well, you know.😄

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 8