The Daily for Tuesday Nov 17, 2020

richwmn

14 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

OMG, block heaters!   Yeah I bet most here have never heard of them.  When I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula I made sure every truck had one 🙂    High of 33 F today, winter is coming.

I used to have quite a few relatives in Northern Maine, who had them.

• Like 6

I have to laugh at the ecard comments.  My DH's sister sends them to our two children, their spouses and our six grandchildren.  Then when they don't open them she asks me to tell them they should open the ecards!  I hate that!  When DS had his birthday last week he opened it just for me, so I wouldn't have to be bothered.  

By the way, I haven't been to my favorite card store, Hallmark, all year.  You can go to their website, view cards that you may need for birthdays, anniversaries, sympathy, etc. and place an order.  I usually save up a couple month's worth of card needs and order them, having them mailed to my home.  But you can also save shipping by picking them up at your local Hallmark store in a week or so.  And if you are a Crown Rewards (loyalty) member, you often get them shipped free.  Just a thought in case you've been having problems getting out to shop due to virus worries.

• Like 11

Good morning from swfl.  70f here so for us it feels a bit chilly!!   Homemade bread is me all over!!!  Love it.   As usual I love both menu suggestions.  The wine suggestions are hard for me.  I love lots of wine, but I usually don't do the ordering.    I love making homemade yeast rolls.  And my husband loves eating homemade yeast rolls.

We are still "hanging in there"  waiting for our 14 days to be up.  The sad part for is is we always celebrate Thanksgiving with our families at our house.  Even though we will be out of quarantine we cancelled with everybody.  Until we get more info about  people who test positive we are going to keep away from our families.  Better to be safe than sorry.  This way we also won't put our families in an awkward position.  Its the first time in about 30 years I have not cooked Thanksgiving dinner...

BTW:  On this day in history. 1776 the British troops captured Fort Washington during the American Revolution!!!!     

Prayers for all on the list and a big shout out to those celebrating anything, and hope everyone hasa a great day!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have to laugh at the ecard comments.  My DH's sister sends them to our two children, their spouses and our six grandchildren.  Then when they don't open them she asks me to tell them they should open the ecards!  I hate that!  When DS had his birthday last week he opened it just for me, so I wouldn't have to be bothered.  

By the way, I haven't been to my favorite card store, Hallmark, all year.  You can go to their website, view cards that you may need for birthdays, anniversaries, sympathy, etc. and place an order.  I usually save up a couple month's worth of card needs and order them, having them mailed to my home.  But you can also save shipping by picking them up at your local Hallmark store in a week or so.  And if you are a Crown Rewards (loyalty) member, you often get them shipped free.  Just a thought in case you've been having problems getting out to shop due to virus worries.

Etsy has some gorgeous handmade cards. You just need to plan ahead to accommodate shipping time.

• Like 5

Good morning, everyone!   Home made bread is the best.  There is nothing better than that yeasty smell while the bread bakes and then to slice into a warm loaf and butter a piece.   Mmmmm.   Haven't done that in years due to my diabetes diagnosis.  i gave up the bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.   This week's hike is planned for tomorrow.   Homemade chicken soup for dinner tonight.    

Prayers for everyone as we are all affected by this horrible virus in one way or another.   Stay safe!

• Like 12

Good morning all.  Interesting days today.  I never have sent an electronic card as I spend my spare time making cards.  I have never made bread (yet) but have made cinnamon buns using yeast that I had to “borrow” because none could be found in the stores.  Another chicken recipe to think about for the future.  I will take a pass on the drink of the day.  Thanks to all who contribute, a great group of posters.   My best to all, have a great Tuesday.

• Like 11

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Happy Tuesday To everyone!!

WOW! I slept in this am!  That is a first.

Have my coffee and enjoying The Daily!

I agree with so many, I love REAL CARDS!

The quote for the day is spot on! Making bread well let’s just say I leave that to the experts!LOL😊 My grandma made wonderful pull apart bread that I  so loved growing up! It was some Hungarian 

Bread she would make!

🌺 Good Morning To all make this day special!! Rich, Roy, To all from The Daily,

and 🌺To my sisters and Summer stay positive (I try) !!

I pray for all on our care list it is so important and love our celebrations!

Denise😊

• Like 11

Good morning all.  Thanks Rich and Roy for keeping this thread going each day, and to all who contribute to it.  Such a nice way to start the day!

Our temperature will be in the 70s and 80s until the middle of next week, then in the upper 60s.  As long as we keep the sunny days, upper 60 days are still shorts and sandals days.  Trying to take care of outside projects before our “winter” arrives in December and January.  I’ll be painting the metal gates today.

We have plenty of chicken, but not tonight.  Instead, DH will be grilling sausage.  I’m not sure what else will go with it except wine.

I’m another who likes to send real cards for Christmas and birthdays.  We had one dear friend who sent ecards, so I would open her ecards. 

Please stay safe and well, wear your masks and social distance.

Lenda

• Like 10

Good morning all!

I had a bread maker for years (a gift from our bread-loving son LOL) but after the kids moved out it sat in the cupboard so I gave it away 😉  I guess luckily for me since I'm diabetic, I don't care about bread one way or the other (chocolate is another story!!)

I can take or leave electronic cards, but prefer the "real" ones that come in the mail. 🙂

Will pass on the meal, not a fan of ginger -- but we did have Chicken Parmesan last night -- oh my how it hit the spot!  

@Crazy For Catscongratulations on your refund!  We had pretty much the same experience.  When our Australia/NZ cruise was cancelled in March we took FCC and put it towards a Hawaii cruise that was cancelled also.  At that point we requested a refund.  But then our story gets strange -- HAL decided, without asking us or our PCC, to put the $$ towards another cruise we had booked. 😲  Anyway, finally after 5 months we have the $$.  We are now all settled.  Whew. 

@Hflors keep hanging in there, it sounds like you're doing well all things considered?  

• Like 10

Thanks for the Daily...  Was chuckling over the e-card debate.  I have never liked the Jackie Lawson types that my SIL sends me several times a year.  However, I make e-Birthday cards for my friends and family with Photoshopped files.  I think they are even more personal but YMMV.  For example, here is the one I sent Rich (on Facebook) a year or so ago...

533552127_RichBirthday2017.png.d649314a134e12c7547dbe87aea784cc.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thanks for the Daily...  Was chuckling over the e-card debate.  I have never liked the Jackie Lawson types that my SIL sends me several times a year.  However, I make e-Birthday cards for my friends and family with Photoshopped files.  I think they are even more personal but YMMV.  For example, here is the one I sent Rich (on Facebook) a year or so ago...

533552127_RichBirthday2017.png.d649314a134e12c7547dbe87aea784cc.png

That’s different than the Jacqui Lawson ecards.  I think that is great. 

Love it.

• Like 6

Mixed emotions today. Joy-filled as, last night, our November 2019 Nieuw Amsterdam MDR table mates emailed to say "Hello" a year to the date we were introducing ourselves over dinner. Sad as, today, we aren't driving through their KY as we should have been. Typically, we would be on our way to FL for family Thanksgiving and our traditional pre- or post- holiday HAL cruise. But, nothing is typical in 2020...

• Like 10

Mitzi has some sweet rolls rising right now!

Since it is Tuesday, we'll be having Papa Murphy pizza tonight. The next several days should be in the 50's so I will be grilling as long as the weather lasts. 

Today, we were supposed to be in Fort-de-France, Martinique on the Nieuw Statendam. Here are some photos from our previous visit.

Freshly pressed cane juice on its way to the fermentation tanks and distillation towers at the La Mauny rum plant -

DSC_1143.thumb.JPG.fc66d1a9d8920deb126e84c98cf93c89.JPG

DSC_1147.thumb.JPG.07ff8992368614c4deb7b54d230297a5.JPG

DSC_1148.thumb.JPG.aba1bcd097a2b410b938780ac2b5ce01.JPG

And some of their gorgeous flowers -

DSC_1155.thumb.JPG.98fb4469e0a8e79c45a6a8b39f117380.JPG

DSC_1158.thumb.JPG.febf56b20b0e5fa3f99a56922bc547a8.JPG

• Like 16

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrises is actually a pair of shots, probably 1 lap apart, on the final sea day on my  infamous Crystal Symphony "Sandy" Panama Canal cruise, with a delay and change in departure port due to Superstorm Sandy in 2012:

predawn17.jpg

One lap later:

dawn17.jpg

Roy

I missed this!!! I love it Roy. So calming and relaxing 👍

Denise😊

• Like 5

Good morning all. Interesting comments on ecards and breads. I love fresh baked bread but don't make it too often. We ran out of yeast here too for awhile (and maybe again now.... I have not looked). But our liquor stores were open as essential.... and I made beer bread a couple of times. Was pretty darn good too.

Bad luck seems to be dogging my Sister. Since she was exposed to Tom, she went yesterday for Covid test. Easy to do in her retirement community but on the way her car was hit on the left rear by some lady who ran a stop sign. Her car (a very elderly Subaru) can still be driven. She got her test and will get results in about 3-4 days. The other driver had a newer car and it is pretty banged up in front..... Martha says the damage to her car makes it look like something out of the Hillbilly movies.

My big outing of the day was a quick drive about 10 miles out to buy a couple of things I think I will need this week. Small grocery, carries good quality stuff, a bit pricey but there is rarely more than 2 other people in there, all properly masked. The drive alone perked up my spirits.

Hang in there everyone.

Susan

• Like 16

Good morning and thanks Rich and Roy.  Oh dear now I want to make bread.   Would love @Seasick Sailorprize winning bread recipe and @ger_77those two hour buns!  But probably better if I don’t get them😂

We  hit a record of twenty deaths in our province yesterday.  So being extremely careful.   Stay safe everyone!  

Giggling about the block heaters,  fact of life here.   Some winter fun, socially distanced 😄

E5A49FA6-7869-4B00-AE26-F5AA9DEEF3E7.jpeg

• Like 15

Good morning(ish), all! Well, I should have picked Homemade Bread Day, as Taking a Hike  did not end well. I headed out to harvest some weeping willow ends for making prints before the forecast storm took the last of them. On my last cut, the heavy pruning shears slipped out of my hand and hit my foot. It hurt like the Dickens! On the walk back home, the pain went away, but my shoe started feeling squishy. When I got home, sure enough, the shears had hit point first, cutting through the shoe, the sock and the big toe. It bled everywhere! DH cleaned the floor, the hall carpet, and the bathroom while I dealt with the toe. Luckily it doesn’t need stitches - now is not the time to go to the hospital. Toes are such drama queens - if something happens, they hurt or bleed out of all proportion to the actual injury.  I sure hope the willow prints I get are worth it!

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning(ish), all! Well, I should have picked Homemade Bread Day, as Taking a Hike  did not end well. I headed out to harvest some weeping willow ends for making prints before the forecast storm took the last of them. On my last cut, the heavy pruning shears slipped out of my hand and hit my foot. It hurt like the Dickens! On the walk back home, the pain went away, but my shoe started feeling squishy. When I got home, sure enough, the shears had hit point first, cutting through the shoe, the sock and the big toe. It bled everywhere! DH cleaned the floor, the hall carpet, and the bathroom while I dealt with the toe. Luckily it doesn’t need stitches - now is not the time to go to the hospital. Toes are such drama queens - if something happens, they hurt or bleed out of all proportion to the actual injury.  I sure hope the willow prints I get are worth it!

I sure hope they are.

Roy

• Like 3