Upgrade to Premium Drink Package

lifeisrealygood

My wife and I always seem to receive the classic beverage package as one of our perks when we book our cruises.  We have three upcoming cruises, one at the end of 2021 and two early in 2022.  We always upgrade to the premium drink package a month or two before we sail.  With all the changes to pricing being made, does anyone think you can still upgrade your classic drink package to premium?  Or, since so many of us have cruises booked, will they honor our perks when we cruise, as the new pricing is just for new cruises being booked?

The classic and premium packages remain like before, classic is included in new bookings by default ("Always included") and premium can be purchased by upgrading the reservation (options "Elevate" and "Indulge") just like before (the highest level of res pricing had premium bev pkg already before the newest change).

Also, the new Captain's Club perks include discounts for bev pkg upgrades so I'd say that yes, you can upgrade just like before.

And yes, booking time perks will be honored, this is definitely not the first time in history that a part of the offering has been changed between someone's booking and the actual sail date. 😆

1 hour ago, Demonyte said:

The classic and premium packages remain like before, classic is included in new bookings by default ("Always included") and premium can be purchased by upgrading the reservation (options "Elevate" and "Indulge") just like before (the highest level of res pricing had premium bev pkg already before the newest change).

Also, the new Captain's Club perks include discounts for bev pkg upgrades so I'd say that yes, you can upgrade just like before.

And yes, booking time perks will be honored, this is definitely not the first time in history that a part of the offering has been changed between someone's booking and the actual sail date. 😆

With all the cruises being cancelled or major itinerary changes, why would you want to upgrade before boarding?  As I understand it, there is no difference in price whether done before or onboard.  Plus when you find a bartender you like as you board, you can upgrade with them.  They get credit for the upgrade.  I've found it improves my service every time I visited them on the cruise. I never upgrade with one of the jackals harping the upgrade as you embark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Captain's Club changes have added a discount for upgrading pre-cruise of either 5% (Classic or Select) or 10% (Elite upwards). As the price is now $11 per day including the gratuity, this creates a huge saving of either $3.35 or $7.70 for a seven night cruise.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Agree with upgrading on board, if we ever get to board again.  

My last cruise we upgraded with a nice fellow at the Sunset Bar on Equinox....he went out of his way to help my Wife and I the entire cruise.  

I agree.  Update with someone/some bar you are going to frequent on the cruise.  The person you upgrade with gets to keep the upgrade gratuity, so they do take care of you.  I like to go with the Sommelier -- sometimes they let you taste some nice wines that are not on the list or within the price range.  🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

I agree.  Update with someone/some bar you are going to frequent on the cruise.  The person you upgrade with gets to keep the upgrade gratuity, so they do take care of you.  I like to go with the Sommelier -- sometimes they let you taste some nice wines that are not on the list or within the price range.  🍷

Name fits. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

With all the cruises being cancelled or major itinerary changes, why would you want to upgrade before boarding?  As I understand it, there is no difference in price whether done before or onboard.  Plus when you find a bartender you like as you board, you can upgrade with them.  They get credit for the upgrade.  I've found it improves my service every time I visited them on the cruise. I never upgrade with one of the jackals harping the upgrade as you embark.

We have always done the same.  I will not upgrade with those Hawks that bother us everywhere on the ship on the first day. That get the benefits and we will never see them again.    We found that upgrading with the BT or sever that we will  use the most gives good results.    

To save a dollar a day by upgrading before the cruise isn’t worth the benefits we get by doing it on board with the favorite BT a or server.   Disclaimer, we don’t  expect  to be served first and tell them who is next,  it is for the little things that we appreciate.  

Drink up 🍸🥤🍹🧉🧋🥂🍻🍺🍹🥃

Edited by miched
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, barbette165 said:

The Captain's Club changes have added a discount for upgrading pre-cruise of either 5% (Classic or Select) or 10% (Elite upwards). As the price is now $11 per day including the gratuity, this creates a huge saving of either $3.35 or $7.70 for a seven night cruise.

Wow!  A whole $7.70.  What a joke.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:05 AM, barbette165 said:

The price of the upgrade is $12/pp/pd.  $10 plus the now 20% tip.  I just upgraded two days ago, and X failed to apply my 10% discount.  My TA is on notice to get them to adjust.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:05 AM, barbette165 said:

This percentage rubbish is a grave insult to Elites and above.  Due to their effective loss of Captain's Club Cocktail Hour (etc.) -- caused by the "always-inclusion" of the Classic Beverage Package -- Elites and above should now be granted a FREE, 100% upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package.  That (and only that) would be fair and just.

Edited by jg51
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, marieps said:

The price of the upgrade is $12/pp/pd.  $10 plus the now 20% tip.  I just upgraded two days ago, and X failed to apply my 10% discount.  My TA is on notice to get them to adjust.

It's not really a "20% tip."  A tip (gratuity) is something that one gives (1) after the service is performed and (2) only if the service was satisfactory or better.  A 20% fee that is imposed in advance (and that cannot be lowered or removed) is a "service charge."  Therefore, it is actually an injustice, if the service is substandard.

12 minutes ago, jg51 said:

This percentage rubbish is a grave insult to Elites and above.  Due to their effective loss of Captain's Club Cocktail Hour (etc.) -- caused by the "always-inclusion" of the Classic Beverage Package -- Elites and above should now be granted a FREE, 100% upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package.  That (and only that) would be fair and just.

I understand your concern, but somewhat disagree.  The brand of alcohol served with the Elite Happy Hour are not ones I choose to drink.  Maybe I'm a bit "snobbish" but when I'm paying for a cruise, I drink what I usually drink at home or possibly even try some new libations that I don't care to spend money on in case I don't like it.  I'll take the 10% discount and use it to upgrade to premium when or if it is necessary.  Not that I would turn down a higher % discount.

Edited by RICCruisers

32 minutes ago, jg51 said:

It's not really a "20% tip."  A tip (gratuity) is something that one gives (1) after the service is performed and (2) only if the service was satisfactory or better.  A 20% fee that is imposed in advance (and that cannot be lowered or removed) is a "service charge."  Therefore, it is actually an injustice, if the service is substandard.

As you know, X is now using the term "tip" as opposed to gratuities.  That's why I used it.

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

What % of Celebrity adults have had at least the Classic drink package over the last two years?  I suspect it is a large majority.  I cannot even remember the last time I did not have a drink package.  The 123, 123 Go, and the  BBB have been around a long time. (Confusing for some for a long time) Therefore the value of the CC free drinks has been an issue for a long time.

The Always Included is certainly simple to understand.  Supply and demand will determine what the market is willing to pay for this simpler program.  The artificial short term demand (because of the shut down) will take a while to dissipate.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, marieps said:

As you know, X is now using the term "tip" as opposed to gratuities.  That's why I used it.

Yes, "marieps," we know that "X" is using the term, "tip," now -- and we know that you were following their lead.  Our purpose was to explain that BOTH "tip" and "gratuity" are invalid words to use under the new circumstances.  We want to encourage you not to refer to the amount as a tip, because it is NOT a tip!  We want to help everyone to realize (and ponder, and object to) the fact that what is being perpetrated is the enforcement of a pre-cruise SERVICE CHARGE.  Unlike a genuine tip or gratuity, it is a charge that cannot be removed or lowered (neither in advance nor on board).  Therefore it is actually a deceptive, dishonest way of increasing the cruise fare!

On 11/20/2020 at 5:53 PM, jagoffee said:

What % of Celebrity adults have had at least the Classic drink package over the last two years?  I suspect it is a large majority.  I cannot even remember the last time I did not have a drink package.  The 123, 123 Go, and the  BBB have been around a long time. (Confusing for some for a long time) Therefore the value of the CC free drinks has been an issue for a long time.

The Always Included is certainly simple to understand.  Supply and demand will determine what the market is willing to pay for this simpler program.  The artificial short term demand (because of the shut down) will take a while to dissipate.

We have been on 15 "X" and 6 RCI cruises, and we have had packages on only four (none since 2016, when we reached Elite/Diamond tier).  That is the point!  When we reached that tier, we no longer needed or wanted a package!  Since 2016, we have received all the beverages we cared to have as part of the Elite benefits.  It would have been a stupid waste of money to purchase a package.  Now, however, the Elite beverage benefit has vanished, and we will be FORCED to pay for a package that we do not want!  We feel sure that there is a HUGE number of Elite/Elite+/Zenith people just like us -- who did not buy an unneeded package, but relied on the C.C. Cocktail Hour, the Elite Breakfast, and (for Elite+/Zenith) the Cafe al Bacio beverage benefit.

We are amazed at the number of people do not see the injustice of what has happened -- both with regard to beverages and Internet minutes (another benefit lost by Elites).  Some people here seem not to be taking the time or trouble to reason it out -- or they never learned how to analyze things logically.  Other people here are apparently so wealthy that they just don't give a d**n about those of us who struggle and make sacrifices (all year long) to be able to cruise.  To them, the cost of a package is apparently trivial.  To us, it is not.  Through great effort, we have been able to pay for cruises.  Now (because of the forced payment for a beverage package and unlimited Internet) we will NOT be able to pay for cruises!  That is the main point of all this.

By the way, in booking our 21 RCG cruises (2008 through 2019), we were never offered ANY "free perks" of any kind -- no beverage packages, no Internet packages, no excursions, no nothin'!!!  We had to pay full price for whatever we wanted -- until, after many years, we finally got some benefits through C.C. Elite status.  Now those benefits are being robbed of us, so we cannot afford to cruise on what used to be our favorite line.  (We don't want to use any non-RCG line.)

22 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Yes, "marieps," we know that "X" is using the term, "tip," now -- and we know that you were following their lead.  Our purpose was to explain that BOTH "tip" and "gratuity" are invalid words to use under the new circumstances.  We want to encourage you not to refer to the amount as a tip, because it is NOT a tip!  We want to help everyone to realize (and ponder, and object to) the fact that what is being perpetrated is the enforcement of a pre-cruise SERVICE CHARGE.  Unlike a genuine tip or gratuity, it is a charge that cannot be removed or lowered (neither in advance nor on board).  Therefore it is actually a deceptive, dishonest way of increasing the cruise fare!

We have been on 15 "X" and 6 RCI cruises, and we have had packages on only four (none since 2016, when we reached Elite/Diamond tier).  That is the point!  When we reached that tier, we no longer needed or wanted a package!  Since 2016, we have received all the beverages we cared to have as part of the Elite benefits.  It would have been a stupid waste of money to purchase a package.  Now, however, the Elite beverage benefit has vanished, and we will be FORCED to pay for a package that we do not want!  We feel sure that there is a HUGE number of Elite/Elite+/Zenith people just like us -- who did not buy an unneeded package, but relied on the C.C. Cocktail Hour, the Elite Breakfast, and (for Elite+/Zenith) the Cafe al Bacio beverage benefit.

We are amazed at the number of people do not see the injustice of what has happened -- both with regard to beverages and Internet minutes (another benefit lost by Elites).  Some people here seem not to be taking the time or trouble to reason it out -- or they never learned how to analyze things logically.  Other people here are apparently so wealthy that they just don't give a d**n about those of us who struggle and make sacrifices (all year long) to be able to cruise.  To them, the cost of a package is apparently trivial.  To us, it is not.  Through great effort, we have been able to pay for cruises.  Now (because of the forced payment for a beverage package and unlimited Internet) we will NOT be able to pay for cruises!  That is the main point of all this.

By the way, in booking our 21 RCG cruises (2008 through 2019), we were never offered ANY "free perks" of any kind -- no beverage packages, no Internet packages, no excursions, no nothin'!!!  We had to pay full price for whatever we wanted -- until, after many years, we finally got some benefits through C.C. Elite status.  Now those benefits are being robbed of us, so we cannot afford to cruise on what used to be our favorite line.  (We don't want to use any non-RCG line.)

And some people here have made the decision that is best for them.  I've looked at all my options prior to making $ spend decisions, if it works for me, I do it.  When it does not, I move along and look at other options.  I certainly would not be going on a cruise if I had to struggle to pay for it, and I am not wealthy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Now, however, the Elite beverage benefit has vanished, and we will be FORCED to pay for a package that we do not want! 

To be clear the first part of the statement is not true.   You can still get drinks from the happy hour menu between the hours of 5-7 pm.   I do agree with your second part that everyone is being forced to pay for the CBP and internet for which they may not find value.

Does it devalue the benefit, absolutely!

The Elite HH has never been a benefit to us.   When we finally reached the ability to go behind the green door the beverage package almost became a standard perk.  

The elite breakfast breakfast was almost useless as we would always be in AQ or if the price was right a suite.  

For the limited amount of time cruise we want a nice experience.   I guess for those living  in Fl I can see where they  would book the cheapest rate and category to utilize all the benefits as a cheap get away and accumulate points towards Zenith 

We learned from other loyalty programs it isn’t worth chasing after points or status as the rules do and  will change because it is like a pyramid.  Those that get into the top at first benefit the most.  It then becomes overcrowded and the bubble bursts.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, miched said:

The Elite HH has never been a benefit to us.   When we finally reached the ability to go behind the green door the beverage package almost became a standard perk.  

The elite breakfast breakfast was almost useless as we would always be in AQ or if the price was right a suite.  

For the limited amount of time cruise we want a nice experience.   I guess for those living  in Fl I can see where they  would book the cheapest rate and category to utilize all the benefits as a cheap get away and accumulate points towards Zenith 

We learned from other loyalty programs it isn’t worth chasing after points or status as the rules do and  will change because it is like a pyramid.  Those that get into the top at first benefit the most.  It then becomes overcrowded and the bubble bursts.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We will never reach elite, elite+, zenith or whatever the lines decide to call those "status" symbols.  We also do not want to because we take many different non-cruise vacations as well.  When we do cruise, we stay in a suite so the perks are almost always included.  However, the ability to get a free laundry bag that will never be used again, gelato or specialty coffee, a drink from 5p-7p...not our thing.  Am pleased with AI and are very happy Celebrity cruisers.

• 1 month later...

I paid for the Premium package on my previous cruise on X.  With the all included I don't see a reason to upgrade to Premium.  I'd rather pay a little extra each time I want something.  I'm pretty sure I will spend less than the upgrade price from Classic to Premium.

In today's retail markets, loyalty is becoming a thing of the past. Competition for the spender's dollar is fierce with emphasis on price plus purchase inducements which is, in the cruising world, perks.

I'm thinking we will see more of AIs in the future. personally I cruise by itinerary first cruise line second. Cruise lines offering similar products will need to compete on price. The offer of a free bag of laundry for my loyal custom? Meh, I'll do it when I get home.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

In today's retail markets, loyalty is becoming a thing of the past. Competition for the spender's dollar is fierce with emphasis on price plus purchase inducements which is, in the cruising world, perks.

I'm thinking we will see more of AIs in the future. personally I cruise by itinerary first cruise line second. Cruise lines offering similar products will need to compete on price. The offer of a free bag of laundry for my loyal custom? Meh, I'll do it when I get home.

For us, cruise line and itinerary go hand in hand, go to Celebrity, look at the itineraries then pick the ship.  No problem with AI here, actually like it.  Laundry, gelato, special coffee do not factor in our decision.  I suppose if we were doing a B2B2B et all it may, but we do not do that.  What they offer has always worked very well for us.