New vaccine

hollyjess

20 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

A slight change,  Harry have you thought of asking everyone at your son's wedding to take one of the free tests the morning before they come. Perhaps that will make it safer for you to attend

It’s a thought, certainly, and I’ll check it out - thanks. I’m also going to try to get an antibody test if I can. The problem is that the underlying condition which is causing me to have to suppress my immune system means that covid would almost certainly be fatal. We take that pretty seriously!

The chances of picking it up at the wedding would be highish, depending very much on the background rate at the time, because most of the people there will doctors working in hospitals at the sharp end.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes. Two very simple and relatively inexpensive things just for starters:

1 The availability of antibody tests for those affected who would like one.

2 A government funded research project to find a solution.

Neither has been done.

Given that some healthy people with antibodies can still catch covid, then perhaps antibody tests may give a false sense of security for those with poor immune systems, who could be very ill if they catch it.

I think we must agree finding a vaccine that helps as many people as these do is unbelievable.  Vaccines for people with poor immune systems have eluded science up till now. Never found one for Flu

The safest thing that we know how to do , is to drive down the Covid rate via vaccination of as many people as possible,  that will also protect those who can't be vaccinated. Up till then shielding is needed

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Beckett said:

They won't though Josy. They are sitting so high on that horse of theirs, pontificating about the whole virus being exaggerated, that they just won't listen or back down. Reading Harry's posts has really moved me today. You and I, and a few others on here, know from first-hand experience the frustration felt when vaccines are wasted too. Sorry Josy, I'm ranting! Have a lovely weekend and take good care. Jane.xxx

You are not ranting Jane.

I went through covid19 spending 4 weeks in bed and sleeping 21 hours a day  and cannot believe some people do not take covid19 seriously and actually miss vaccine appointments.

Graham.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I went through covid19 spending 4 weeks in bed and sleeping 21 hours a day  and cannot believe some people do not take covid19 seriously and actually miss vaccine appointments.

Graham.

Don't forget the 3 hrs eating salmon sarnies in bed Graham.That's what pulled you thru.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

My sisters work for the NHS and they both say that around 10-20% of appointments are missed with the biggest excuse of "i forgot". I personally think you should be fined for a missed appointment unless you have a very valid reason and even then takes a minute to ring up.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

My sisters work for the NHS and they both say that around 10-20% of appointments are missed with the biggest excuse of "i forgot". I personally think you should be fined for a missed appointment unless you have a very valid reason and even then takes a minute to ring up.

While I understand where you are coming from the issue is not that simple.  Ignoring general appointments for a second and only dealing with covid its very difficult.

The letters are generated in different places for different groups.  For the ones where the person has come forward to be registered the issue has been central generated mail not getting to the people in time.  There has been times we have had long slots as no-one got the letter.

For the age group one letters are going to the last known address which for the age group we are hitting now is something which is more fluid than the older group and therefore letters are going to the wrong addresses.

I have found that second jabs have very few people not attending.  There has been a real issue with astra jabs and the younger age group.  The rules around who gets what have changed a number of times and does cause concern and confusion.   Personally I wouldn't hesitate to get astra but the press coverage has caused concerns.

The issue of fines would cost more than they brought in.  You would need to identify who missed the appointment and prove they were aware of the appointment.   You would need to issue and collect fines often from people with no money.  All that would involve large groups of paid staff and bureaucracy that no-one really wants or needs.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I think.that the cost of imposing fines could be prohibitive.  Our doctors seem to have a 3 strikes and you are out system. Our neighbour had 2 warning letters from them and then when he didn't attend his next appointment they sent him a letter telling him to find another practice.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

In principle I agree but in practice it would not work.

As an example neither my husband or I recieved a letter for our second covid vaccination, neither did our neighbours. We all got vaccine no 1 on the same day (small community).

We happened to check the appointment site (here you don’t make your own, you get a blue letter with a specific date and time) as we were going on holiday and wanted to know when vaccine 2 was. It was just a few days later, as was our neighbours. Consequently we all attended but it was luck not NHS Scotland organisation. That would have been 6 missed appointments.

Some missed appointments will be poor admin, some will be careless rude individuals. How do you tell them apart and fine them?

Our local hospital operates a confirmation of all appointments system. Either they ring you up and confirm directly with you, or you get a time by letter but must ring an automated number to confirm. If you don't confirm in 3 days it goes to someone else.  If you miss 2 confirmed appointments you go to the back of the  (long) queue no right of appeal. . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We have never had anything writing for both our jabs we just got a phone call telling us appointment date, time and place and if it was convenient which it was.

We booked our first and second jabs on the app. It gave us choices for both with confirmation by email. Very efficient. When I went for my second jab, they gave DW hers at the same time as mine ,which was a week early. Nothing but praise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

We booked our first and second jabs on the app. It gave us choices for both with confirmation by email. Very efficient. When I went for my second jab, they gave DW hers at the same time as mine ,which was a week early. Nothing but praise.

Same here, both of us booked at same time for first and second jabs, very efficiently run by the NHS, the admin at Vaccination Centre was run by Staff and volunteers from local council & WRVS, car parks manned by off duty firefighters, jabs given by nurses & doctors from NHS, nearby military bases, medical students from universities and apparently a vets were involved. 

The organisation by the NHS has been of the highest quality, with logistical and organisational skills from local authorities and armed services, it shows what can be done when people with years of experience in these matters are involved.

A recent outbreak of the Indian variant at a local school seems to have been contained thanks to local public health workers who traced and identified all contacts of the one family involved and organised surge testing for 2,500 people in a matter of days, cases for last 7 days have dropped to just 19. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Same here, both of us booked at same time for first and second jabs, very efficiently run by the NHS, the admin at Vaccination Centre was run by Staff and volunteers from local council & WRVS, car parks manned by off duty firefighters, jabs given by nurses & doctors from NHS, nearby military bases, medical students from universities and apparently a vets were involved. 

The organisation by the NHS has been of the highest quality, with logistical and organisational skills from local authorities and armed services, it shows what can be done when people with years of experience in these matters are involved.

A recent outbreak of the Indian variant at a local school seems to have been contained thanks to local public health workers who traced and identified all contacts of the one family involved and organised surge testing for 2,500 people in a matter of days, cases for last 7 days have dropped to just 19. 

Exactly. Folk know what they are doing, just leave them alone, give them the tools and experience and dedication shine through. We had ours done at Superdrug . All very efficient, no drama. 

Fines or charges for no show probably isn’t helpful, instead the effort should be put into reminding/confirming. The same process can also overcome any challenges, a simple interaction can answer minor questions such as “can I bring my baby with me as I don’t have anyone to look after them on that day” to also Identifying someone who is at risk of turning down a vaccine and may benefit from a doctor speaking to them about their concern. The more local this all is the better.

I saw some work in one area that showed a very high % of people who had “been invited” for the vaccine but did not action in fact where happy to have it after their GP rang to talk to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

Fines or charges for no show probably isn’t helpful, instead the effort should be put into reminding/confirming. The same process can also overcome any challenges, a simple interaction can answer minor questions such as “can I bring my baby with me as I don’t have anyone to look after them on that day” to also Identifying someone who is at risk of turning down a vaccine and may benefit from a doctor speaking to them about their concern. The more local this all is the better.

I saw some work in one area that showed a very high % of people who had “been invited” for the vaccine but did not action in fact where happy to have it after their GP rang to talk to them.

If folk have genuine concerns they need to be able to phone and ask their questions, but I don't really think it is the job of the GP to phone them and convince them. If they decline the jab, back of the queue. Once all those who will bite your hand of to get it are Jabbed, then pick up the stragglers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If folk have genuine concerns they need to be able to phone and ask their questions, but I don't really think it is the job of the GP to phone them and convince them. If they decline the jab, back of the queue. Once all those who will bite your hand of to get it are Jabbed, then pick up the stragglers.

You have got it Zapp " genuine concerns" the truth is they will come up with all strange excuses for not having the jab and will not go out of their way to get the jab. Some hidden agendas seem to be going on and not just with the jabs either.

A young woman on TV this morning and regarding holidays to amber countries despite it being law to isolate for ten days on return ,will not be doing so as she will be careful anyway :classic_wacko: 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

You have got it Zapp " genuine concerns" the truth is they will come up with all strange excuses for not having the jab and will not go out of their way to get the jab. Some hidden agendas seem to be going on and not just with the jabs either.

A young woman on TV this morning and regarding holidays to amber countries despite it being law to isolate for ten days on return ,will not be doing so as she will be careful anyway :classic_wacko: 

I saw that woman on breakfast tv this morning. I was aghast at her admitting on national tv that she would not isolate when returning from a holiday in an amber country. The selfishness of some people beggars belief.

• Like 7

On 5/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, Harry Peterson said:

The chances of picking it up at the wedding would be highish, depending very much on the background rate at the time, because most of the people there will doctors working in hospitals at the sharp end

Maybe all the doctors have already had it so they won't be able to pass it on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I saw that young woman on the tv this morning and just thought that I hope that everyone that she knows has seen her and will isolate her when she gets back including her employer who I hope refuses to allow her back to work until the isolation period is passed because otherwise they could be putting the rest of their employees at risk.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Agree with this. My sisters clinic yest had 50, yes 50 no shows. End of the day they had to throw away all those pfizer jabs.......... The vaccine staff are frustrated as hell.  As its a private GP those people are now being told to rebook at their local mass vac centre. Just so frustrating as i have friends near me (not near my sis) who are fed up with waiting for their jabs!!!!

• Like 3

How about this for a strange reason not to have the jab? "It has not been tested on enough people".

That came out the mouth of the my step daughter's boyfriend. I just said how many people do you want to have it first? He could answer but he was worried he would not be able to father a child. I just replied "I hope that's true."

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

How about this for a strange reason not to have the jab? "It has not been tested on enough people".

That came out the mouth of the my step daughter's boyfriend. I just said how many people do you want to have it first? He could answer but he was worried he would not be able to father a child. I just replied "I hope that's true."

I also shook my head at the response I got off a lad who told me "He didn't like needles"

who had tattoo sleeves running up both his arms :classic_wacko: Pleased to say he saw sense and has since had the jab .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 7