River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

34 minutes ago, pontac said:

I expect we'll cruise Mosel again as it's really picturesque, so I wonder what guide 3 will say 🤔

I reckon both is correct in that ground floor space was taxed and stone was expensive. Not sure what a third version could add.

I was in Bernkastel, actually Kues on the other side, last weekend. I wrote about it in a previous post. I naturally refer to the river as the Moselle, but I know a lot of British people say Mosel. Here is a fun fact - which you may well know - there is a Moselle in London, a tiny stream, which is the Moselle brook or River Moselle. On the map right next to Little Russia.

36 minutes ago, pontac said:

Found some nice wines.

Good. I got some locally made jam. I do not drink Riesling. Have not looked at the other grape varieties for some time, of course they exist, but the Moselle slopes are perfect for Riesling.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Now that's funny because I thought you were German. Most people in UK call it Moselle, and that's what the river cruise companies call it, but it's Mosel in German (I think) so as we're only on the part in Germany I call it Mosel. 

Scenic have wines from different countries. We have Austrian Gruner Veltliner at lunch and take turns choosing a red at dinner. Bordeaux, Rioja, Cotes du Rhone, Aussie Cab-Shiraz. mostly. 

Never drink Riesling at home but at tastings here nothing but. 

Mostly Riesling planted, but some Ebling and Muller - Thurgau. I have enjoyed Luxembourg Moselle Ebling, and I think English Muller-Thurgau better than German because it's crisper and more flavoursome 

I have adapted to the English. 🙂 Mosel in German it is of course.

13 minutes ago, pontac said:

I have enjoyed Luxembourg Moselle Ebling, and I think English Muller-Thurgau better than German because it's crisper and more flavoursome 

Must sample Luxembourg Moselle Ebling some time. Interesting about the English Müller-Thurgau*.

*I have a German keyboard so the u-Umlaut is in my spelling.

notamermaid

• Like 1

18 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I have adapted to the English. 🙂 Mosel in German it is of course.

Must sample Luxembourg Moselle Ebling some time. Interesting about the English Müller-Thurgau*.

notamermaid

Every time I type a "ü" I hold down the alt key and type "0252".  It's a pain but if I switched to a German keyboard I would have to hunt and peck for the key with umlaut. Also the z and y exchange places on the keyboard. So I have just memorized the alt codes to use on my English keyboard.  RDVIK

8 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Every time I type a "ü" I hold down the alt key and type "0252".  It's a pain but if I switched to a German keyboard I would have to hunt and peck for the key with umlaut. Also the z and y exchange places on the keyboard. So I have just memorized the alt codes to use on my English keyboard.  RDVIK

On my iPhone, if you hold down a letter you will see all of the various accent for that letter. So holding down the "u" there are 10 different alternatives including the umlaut. (I'm not on my iPhone right now or I would show them.)

Edited by gnome12

35 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

On my iPhone, if you hold down a letter you will see all of the various accent for that letter. So holding down the "u" there are 10 different alternatives including the umlaut. (I'm not on my iPhone right now or I would show them.)

I just found that for letters it works the same way on my (new) Mac keyboard. The only difficulties I have been having are finding the options that on the phone come off the $ sign (¢ £ and € being the ones I use most often). The first 2 use option keys (4 and 3 respectively on my keyboard) and the last one comes from the symbols menu.

Edited by gnome12

Question for smartphone or tablet - does the "ß" pop up under your "s"? I have it on my keyboard of course.

Another sunny summer's day here, but it may not reach 30 Celsius today with me here. Perhaps in other parts of the valley.

notamermaid

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Question for smartphone or tablet - does the "ß" pop up under your "s"? I have it on my keyboard of course.

Another sunny summer's day here, but it may not reach 30 Celsius today with me here. Perhaps in other parts of the valley.

notamermaid

Yes, it does on my Mac, and I presume on my iPhone.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Yes, on my Samsung phone. ß

Screenshot_20240816_083430_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.0ef98b4f1fe7ab7a8909ba39fb5a1f3f.jpg

I have a dozen choices for the u key! Too bad I don't know what most of them are...

Screenshot_20240816_083511_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.87409298a97f0cdc812dbe39aa310763.jpg

And I have a French and German keyboard that I can switch to for Duolingo. Handy for the spell checker, and so that my English keyboard doesn't autocorrect the foreign words and give me extra errors!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

JP, I think some of those are icons for different types of wine glasses for your different wine choices.

I like the way you think! Happy Friday! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Yes, on my Samsung phone. ß

Screenshot_20240816_083430_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.0ef98b4f1fe7ab7a8909ba39fb5a1f3f.jpg

I have a dozen choices for the u key! Too bad I don't know what most of them are...

Screenshot_20240816_083511_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.87409298a97f0cdc812dbe39aa310763.jpg

And I have a French and German keyboard that I can switch to for Duolingo. Handy for the spell checker, and so that my English keyboard doesn't autocorrect the foreign words and give me extra errors!

I have a Hebrew keyboard that I can switch to on my phone. It wouldn't work so well on the desktop without using key labels.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 10:26 AM, notamermaid said:

🙂

I could easily do an umlaut on my desktop computer at home but I'm using a phone here on the Rhein. 

Just passed Speyer on way to Kehl from Mannheim. 

Had tasting at Fitz Ritter winery in Bad Durkheim this morning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pontac said:

I could easily do an umlaut on my desktop computer at home but I'm using a phone here on the Rhein. 

Just passed Speyer on way to Kehl from Mannheim. 

Had tasting at Fitz Ritter winery in Bad Durkheim this morning. 

Your phone should be even easier. Just hold down the letter and you should see the row of alternatives appear. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 7:17 AM, Canal archive said:

Search the Anderton Boat lift an interesting bit of technology or this

image.thumb.jpeg.0e0e87a977fbd65ad25bbad76ecbe826.jpeg

the Falkirk wheel reputed to be inspired by  Celtic Axe it replaces a flight of locks by lifting and lowering canal narrowboats, the red boat is a trip boat so you can experience this modern version of a lock. It is just a tad scary in your own boat!

Once again I'm late to the thread but we're looking forward to an excursion (ocean cruise) next June to see the Wheel. 

Paul

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

gnome12

Yes you are right, but I usually post to boards and send emails on my PC and use the alt keys. My Android phone has that feature also - even has most of the Czech letters with diacritical marks.  RDVIK

13 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

I get the ß on my Android phone by holding down the s, but here on my PC I just held the ALT and typed 0223.  RDVIK

• Thanks 1

As your going to the Wheel I suspect you’ll drop by to see the Kelpies what can I say - Beautiful, awesome, amazing, magnificent all of these and more. The wheel is a marvel of technology the Kelpies are just magnificent. Enjoy!

Oh they are an homage to the horses that provided the power to move the canal boats.

image.thumb.jpeg.7514767da647ed950929ffa8471ec678.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We saw some much smaller-scale flower pictures in Orvieto in May, as we happened to be there during the Orvieto in Fiore festival.  But your picture is amazing!

Having lived in Brussels for 3 1/2 years in the mid-90s, I can say that the flower carpet every other year makes the beautiful Grand Place (now a UNESCO World Heritage Site) even more spectacular.  For more information and historical pictures check out:  https://www.flowercarpet.brussels/en and https://www.flowercarpet.brussels/en/carpets

• Like 1

Thank you capriccio so very beautiful there are a few villages in the U.K. that used to years ago do something similar on obviously a much much smaller scale but I haven’t heard of it being done for ages. There was something about a master planter or placer. I feel some research is required. Luckily this will continue as it’s a UNESCO site. Evidently in Poland it’s still happening in the U.K. it’s  usually to celebrate Corpus Christi. 

Edited by Canal archive

On 8/16/2024 at 9:13 PM, gnome12 said:

Your phone should be even easier. Just hold down the letter and you should see the row of alternatives appear. 

Not on mine - but I don't like using the phone keyboard: the letters are too small for my fingers 🙂

• Like 1