River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

From the box: roughly hewn to replicate handcrafted stone.... found the web site, it says durable resin.  Made in China, so plastic, but well done.

Now on the left, the bear is from whale bone, the fish are from reindeer bone, and they sit on a Walrus skull.  Found it while visiting daughter in Fairbanks, I knew I'd never come across anything like it.  Native artists are the only one who can work with the walrus tusks, I believe.

I do like the Celtic crosses as well, neat how they would basically tell a bible story with the figures.  Amazing some of the ones we visited in Ireland, sometimes they would have a replica outside and the original preserved nearby indoors; other times a 900 year old cross is still out in the elements.  The history they have witnessed.

• Like 3

Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt. Erst eins, dann zwei, dann drei, dann vier 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️   ...

Candles, lights, I feel I need them as much as last year, if not more, to lift my spirits. My consumption of batteries rises immensely at this time of year and the battery charger is kept busy, too.

So today, to continue with the theme of decorations bought on travels, here is mine. I did not buy any holiday themed items during my one river cruise, but over the years have got a steady supply of all sorts of Christmas time items during my travels across the water that is the English channel. This one I bought quite some years ago from a Woolworths in Kent. Woolworths sadly closed all its shops in 2008. They are really missed... It was from a designer range for that year (not 2008, but before) in opulent gold and purple. The stones do not come out that well in the photo, but it is beautiful with a candle and adorns my table every year:

DSCN4153.thumb.JPG.4ed119fca5027299f714c22f332ecc50.JPG

But it is not quite time for the tealight holder to be lit as that is for Christmas. Here is my Advent wreath with the four candles lit today, my "Scottish" theme:

2094010908_DSCN4158-Kopie.thumb.JPG.fa2db449630936a40b682a9b0140837e.JPG

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
typos
  • Like 3

A couple I have collected over the years. A handblown snowman from Wurzburg, a paper mache snowman from Hoi An, Vietnam, The star is from a puppet making place in Mandalay, Myanmar and the beer stein is a Kath Wolfart frim Frankfurt.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Guess who went to California last year and renewed our love of Disney. I now have four different Mickey baubles.

image.thumb.jpeg.39c1e55a90cb4453f62d32efabab5e38.jpeg

We discovered an ex Kirk in the Highlands which has been turned into the most beautiful mini museum standing guard at the entrance to the grounds is the most superb standing stone carved with a Celtic cross I’ll look out the photo. Super idea aural Guy.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 2

Many years ago I was at a convention in St. Louis and the hotel had a knitting/embroidery shop.  This Santa ornament caught my eye, so – despite never having done any kind of needlework – I bought the kit.  It came out so well that I decided to quit while I was ahead and never did anything like it!

Santa.jpg

• Like 3

I am currently on the Grand Princess -  10 nights over Christmas. We have a total of 450 passengers on board a ship built for 2600+ passengers. It is like chartering my own cruise ship!!!!! The ship seems fully staffed and they out number us by far. Needless to say service is amazing. 

• Like 3

In concert with @Wings55, I also love Christmas and my Porsche 911, so here is my ornament.  My actual one is silver instead of British racing green, and mine is about a decade or two newer than this little model, but the wrapped gifts on top of this one make for a nice ornament.  Plus mine celebrate @notamermaid  along with her country and her loyal contributions to this thread.

Merry Christmas to All, and thanks for the Good Cheer!

Cindy

Christmas Porsche.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/22/2021 at 3:42 PM, TheKingD said:

Plus mine celebrate @notamermaid  along with her country and her loyal contributions to this thread.

Thank you. :classic_smile: I like racing green, although, if you had not said that, I would have called it dense forest Christmas tree green. A 911? A classic, and IMO a neat design. The family car here is a Skoda Octavia, would not be able to fit all the luggage and the food bought in England into a Porsche. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Like 2