River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

42 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Hmm, I can see how that went a bit too far with scaring people.

First of April is coming up, @Host Jazzbeau does CC do a joke in the news section?

notamermaid

You want a joke? Perhaps a riddle? Or two?

Why isn’t Cinderella a good footballer/soccer player?

Why do gorillas have such big nostrils?

Answers Friday . . . 

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not that I recall.  With the various glitches, we already have people claiming that the entire website is a joke. 😉

Grin. Thanks, a pity really. There would be such great options. Oh well perhaps someone can post something they found regionally on the day. Wouldn't work with me, not because Germans are not funny (we are, jawoll, aber wirklich, etc., etc.) but there is a language problem.

notamermaid

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

You want a joke? Perhaps a riddle? Or two?

Why isn’t Cinderella a good footballer/soccer player?

Why do gorillas have such big nostrils?

Answers Friday . . . 

Hmm, err, hmm, I guess Cinderella must be something with shoe. Looking forward to Friday.

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid just watching Joanna Lumley in Berlin, what a fascinating city so quirky.

Oh, hello. Hanging around on the computer having just watched a video on Roman roads. Who is Joanna Lumley - have heard that name but do not recall more - and what is she doing in Berlin?

notamermaid

She was a great top model in a sitcom ‘Abfab’ as Patsy, earlier than that ‘The Avengers’ she also supported the Gurkhas in their fight for equal rights as other British army guys. Very attractive elegant lady she’s made several different programmes this one three different cities, Paris, Berlin and next week Rome, she somehow manages to show the alternative sides to the cities.

As suspected, it has proven too difficult to find a decent April Fool's joke in German that would have translated well (and accessible to me without a pay wall) at short notice. I am sure there were some good ones somewhere. Unfortunately, I do not recall the full story but quite a few years ago there was a space rocket controlled decent to earth scheduled and as they predict where these things land it was something like "the toilet will land exactly at this spot in Rhineland-Palatinate", according to a local newspaper. Apparently a few people turned up at that spot on that 1 April morning. 😀 

Back to real stuff that is sometimes so odd that you think it must be a joke but is kind of real, or in this case was at least a real suggestion even if the plan was never executed. One of my favourite YouTubers and the story of the Paris lamppost boats tram things: https://youtu.be/ILqrfF75hUo

notamermaid

The iShave

On April Fool’s Day in 2004, the German software company Application Systems Heidelberg announced their new iShave product under the slogan, "Your iPod no longer just plays music, it helps you look great thanks to our new razor attachment!" The razor attachment supposedly clipped onto the top of an iPod, allowing people to shave their face, while listening to music, on the go.

https://www.iamexpat.de/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/best-april-fools-day-pranks-germany

More - https://www.hamburg.com/visitors/holidays/13688162/april-fools-day/

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Haha 1

One year Braun announced a new electric shaver with air conditioner cooling technology built in, claiming that shaver heat is the cause of most irritation.  It must have represented that terrific German engineering, because the case was the exact size and shape of their existing product!

Well, we did get to travel! 

After arriving in Paris for my birthday March 26, we had a great day there before flying to Ljubljana to start our A&K adventure. We were in Ljubljana for 3 days. Saw the city (charming), Lake Bled and the Castle (spectacular), and enjoyed plenty of great food and wine.

From there we were driven to Zagreb for 2 days, one in the city and one in the "hinterlands" to the north and east. Saw some great scenery at Trakoscan Castle but the weather wasn't the greatest that day.

Next we took a long drive to Split, stopping at Plitvice Lakes along the way for 3+ hours of hiking and amazing scenery. The waterfalls were pumping and they were beautiful. In Split we had plenty of time in the city to explore Diocletan's Palace, enjoy lots of seafood, and relax in this Adriatic gem which was totally different from the first two stops. We also went to Krka National Park which was gorgeous too, and the weather was beautiful that day.

From there we drove to Dubrovnik, crossing into Bosnia for a few minutes, and had an evening and a full day to explore the city in beautiful sunshine, without all of the crowds. It was way better than our first visit there on a cruise ship. We also did wine tasting in a valley to the south.

We went on to Montenegro to fly back to Paris as there were no good flights out of Dubrovnik. A very brief layover in Belgrade (Air Serbia) and then Paris for 2 more days. We got home after midnight Saturday/Sunday morning and I'll be leaving for work shortly. The jet lag was worth it - these places were just amazing.

Now busy planning our next trip!

• Like 6

Just now, Coral said:

I ended up cancelling my Med cruise due to medical reasons 😞 . Disappointed as I had a great itinerary, great price and great upgrade.....

So sorry to hear that. We leave for our Med cruise in 19 days. (but who's counting.. 😏)

Paul

On 4/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, Wings55 said:

So sorry to hear that. We leave for our Med cruise in 19 days. (but who's counting.. 😏)

Paul

Not me, three days and a wake up until we’re leaving’ on a jet plane . . . to meet up in Marseille with the 41 other folks on our ship.

@Coral get back on the water soon.

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Like 1

CPT Trips so only 3 sleeps as the U.K. children and adults would say, it’s become the go to expression for event’s especially Christmas or special holidays. Have a wonderful super cruise let us know, if possible, how your getting on, as usual this year so green with envy.

8 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Not me, three days and a wake up until we’re leaving’ on a jet plane . . . to meet up in Marseille with the 41 other folks on our ship.

@Coral get back on the water soon.

@CPT TripsWe ended two weeks in France last August when we flew home from Marseille. I hope you enjoy your vacation as much as we did ours.

Paul

(a former NJ resident - Mt Laurel)

@Wings55 We we’re neighbors! We lived by “Olga’s Circle” before relocating to near the Berlin Circle a few years ago.

We certainly plan to enjoy the trip. It will be almost all new cities and towns for us. The only repeat visit will be Nice for a couple days using the ship for accommodations. The remainder of the itinerary is all new for us.

06A4C6A3-8749-4D50-9051-76B5784D6E8A.jpeg.408044b23f4b63718e3915a3a9251828.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Not me, three days and a wake up until we’re leaving’ on a jet plane . . .

Lovely. Are you doing the pre-trip extension in France? Then I am envious - I would love to see Carcassonne. :classic_smile:

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

We are only doing the main trip. Time and budget constraints 😢 This a trip we planned to take in 2020, booked in 2019. Needless to say, stuff happened. It was postponed for a year, and then again for another year. Now 🤞

Lest someone think I forgot, still waiting for photos of those Mod days on a scooter. 😉

• Haha 1