River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jazz🙂 I have been to both places and remember as a little girl visiting my cousins in Tampa and we went to Weeki Wachee......they had the girls on the water skis and put on a show.  Oh.....that is what you were referring to.......the Mermaid Show!

Bok Tower Gardens, highest point on the Florida peninsula, 295 feet above sea level---better pack those oxygen tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My that is flat. I mean even the Dutch would call this flat! The highest point in the Netherlands (apart from Dutch bits in the Carribean) is an actual mountain (for the Dutch) of unbelievable 1,058 feet.

Sounds a popular place with enormous fun. It reminds me of fun trips to leisure parks, used to go the Phantasialand near Cologne.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Bok Tower Gardens, highest point on the Florida peninsula, 295 feet above sea level---better pack those oxygen tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

My that is flat. I mean even the Dutch would call this flat! The highest point in the Netherlands (apart from Dutch bits in the Carribean) is an actual mountain (for the Dutch) of unbelievable 1,058 feet.

When we did the Camino de Santiago, our group of 12 included the '5 chickas' from Miami.  They had trained extensively in the months leading up to the trip, but on the first day the very steep climb up to O Cebreiro made them aware how flat Florida is.  They had logged the miles, but their legs weren't used to the climb!  [But they made it.  Go chickas!]

17 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

The highest natural point in the State of Florida is Britton Hill, at 105 meters. But, it isn’t on the peninsula. The highest point is probably some apartment building or hotel in Miami. 

Impossible information.  No point in the US is any number of meters... 🤣

• Haha 1

One becomes an expert it ‘mental conversions’ as I was brought up with Imperial from schooling and crafting then as a technical illustrator. Although we took up the metric measurements in 1965 it took years for everyone to accept. There are still tiny areas where imperial still rules - mostly in my head!

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

The highest natural point in the State of Florida is Britton Hill, at 105 meters. But, it isn’t on the peninsula. The highest point is probably some apartment building or hotel in Miami. 

Right, that barely beats out the height of the land at Bok Tower Gardens, but as you say, is on the panhandle, not peninsular FL.  The tower sits on land that is 90 meters a.s.l.

The 295 ft. a.s.l.  does not include the height of the tower, I believe.

I grew up in Rhode Island, where the highest point in the state, Jerimoth Hill, is all of 811 feet high.  Those who try to get to the highest point in all 50 states in the past have actually struggled with this one, as one has to pass through private property to reach the hill, which is owned by Brown University.  The latest landowner now allows passage through his/her land to those wanting to reach the hill----dealing with harmless trespassers got to be too much.

Edited by sharkster77

Canada supposedly switched to metric many years ago. However grocery stores advertise prices per pound in big numbers, and the price per kg in small numbers although when the item is weighed it is in grams or kg. 

One of my favourite idiocies is berries. The smallest size shows as either 170g or 6 oz. The next size is 1 dry pint. The next size up is almost always 18 ounces, although occasionally it shows 510g. And the largest size is 2 pounds. (You don’t usually find them all at once, but they have all been for sale in my grocery store.) Note that in addition to mixing metric and imperial measures, most are by weight, except the dry pint which is a volume measure. I remember when berries were sold by the half pint, pint, and quart. Made way more sense. 

By the way, I just noticed that signatures are displaying on my iPhone 8+; they never have before. 

Let me correct; I can see my own, but no one else’s. 

Edited by gnome12

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Canada supposedly switched to metric many years ago. However grocery stores advertise prices per pound in big numbers, and the price per kg in small numbers although when the item is weighed it is in grams or kg. 

One of my favourite idiocies is berries. The smallest size shows as either 170g or 6 oz. The next size is 1 dry pint. The next size up is almost always 18 ounces, although occasionally it shows 510g. And the largest size is 2 pounds. (You don’t usually find them all at once, but they have all been for sale in my grocery store.) Note that in addition to mixing metric and imperial measures, most are by weight, except the dry pint which is a volume measure. I remember when berries were sold by the half pint, pint, and quart. Made way more sense. 

Not sure where you shop but that is not the case in the city I live.

As far as packaging, most is imported  and if it is from the US, it will be in ounces with a metric weight/volume sticker.

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was reliving my youth two months ago when we went to the 3pm mermaid show (which I had seen as a kid).  Homosassa Springs in the morning, with over 50 manatees enjoying the warm water there, then Weeki Wachee – a great day!

Homasassa Springs, there is a Manatee rescue place around there.  We visited, and they had drained part of the tank, and were scrubbing the Manatee with rock salt to remove parasites.  Very cool to see how big and bizarre they really are.

Anyone get to visit Cypress Gardens before LegoLand bought it?  Loved the topiary statues.

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

😳Jeez, is that what I get for trying to make life easy for our EU based local experts?🙄😉

By the way, you are wrong! Need proof? 
66A39DAA-063B-4BCA-99D8-93BF02713CE4.jpeg.e8b8512494f988f7021d54faa7acf572.jpeg9B459F2A-1B9B-44DA-8003-4A1030FDC4B4.jpeg.bcf67c187ea19e2c8c34c16a5d2277f0.jpeg

This should be banned.   America is the 'home of the free and the land of Imperial measures.'  🤣

Now you’ve really done it.

Perhaps I should wait for the Canadians, Australians and those from the UK among us to remind you that an Imperial gallon is 20% larger than that good old red white and blue, mom and apple pie, US gallon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Now you’ve really done it.

Perhaps I should wait for the Canadians, Australians and those from the UK among us to remind you that an Imperial gallon is 20% larger than that good old red white and blue, mom and apple pie, US gallon.

I know all that.  [I also know that a 'butt' is a unit of measure, so a 'butt-load' is not a scatological term...]  Since Britain and the Commonwealth have abandoned this 'system' [in the vague sense] of measurements, the US has taken up the flag – and therefore, as the 'last man standing' our measures are the only ones left.  Long live ounces and pounds and pints (both kinds).

PS - Even though we've never met, I love you 'a bushel and a peck.'  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Cheeky one aren’t you. Watch your Ps and Qs.

Is it true that the biggest problem mods have is that if they give someone an inch here they take yard.

True.  They don't take a mile, because we stop them before they get that far...

I can't help but share a memory of one morning back in the '70s  when Canada was starting to go metric.  The local radio station was educating its listeners on metric time.  The day will be divided into 10 units. ( I can't remember what they were called) then those units were divided into 100 centi- unit name and further into mili- unit name.  All morning the announcer would say what time it was in metric time.  Listeners were calling in to the radio station in a panic.  They were trying to calculate  how to tell time. What is going to happen to their existing watches and clocks, etc.  

Today is the eve of the anniversary of that day.  It was the best  most thought out April fool's joke I have ever heard . 

RB 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

There is a conservation area here outside of Boston that contains a hill (600 ft tall) called Great Blue Hill.  PBS Channel 2 in Boston is called WGBH, as their antennas are on Great Blue HIll (GBH).

Anyway, one April Fool's Day a Boston TV station announced on the news that Great Blue Hill was erupting, showing video footage of Mt. St. Helens.  It actually caused great panic in some neighborhoods,  911 was inundated with frantic calls, and there were firings in the news dept of that station as a result.

Some of the 911 recordings are hilarious, though---one person assumed it was erupting on the 'other' side, as they could see GBH from their window and saw no evidence of an eruption.  (GBH isn't even volcanic in nature, by the way).

38 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Hmm, I can see how that went a bit too far with scaring people.

First of April is coming up, @Host Jazzbeau does CC do a joke in the news section?

notamermaid

Not that I recall.  With the various glitches, we already have people claiming that the entire website is a joke. 😉