River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

2 hours ago, ural guy said:

We're slated to go to Portugal/Spain 11 Apr, and are lined up to do a section of the Camino de Santiago.  Still on fence if we'll stay with that plan, which requires missing 4 weeks of work, or reworking the trip to 3 weeks and staying in Portugal.  We retire in a few years and the Camino may have to wait until we have more time.  And if anyone is wondering, yes, I'm paying for the service that schleps your main bag from hotel to hotel, so you're just carrying a day pack.  No albergues (pilgrims hostel), we both were in service and have had our fill of bunk bed communal living.

SO, it wasn't a pilgrimage for piety, but to clear the mess of the past 2 years from our heads.

Even on that basis [we used Fresco Tours and walked the last 100 miles], we found the Camino became a true pilgrimage and a significant spiritual experience.  Do it while you are still young enough!

@ural guy - my husband's sister and brother in law did the entire Camino route beginning in France for his 60th birthday (she was 61) with only backpacks with a minimal amount of clothing and toiletries/medical supplies and walking sticks in 7 weeks.  She had to get a knee replaced within months but she knew it was in bad shape before the walk. When they arrived in the piazza she got a large round of applause from others who had passed them on the trail.  Now four years and her 2 new knees and 1 new hip later they are planning on doing the route beginning in Portugal in September 2023. 

7 hours ago, ural guy said:

Things appear to be looking good for your trip, I think.  We were able to visit both in Sept 2019 (the before times) and really enjoyed ourselves.  We had been to Yugoslavia for long weekends back in late 80's (Portoroz), and it was neat to see the changes.  So much history in that region.  Fingers crossed you have a safe trip, and that spring has lots of flowers blooming for you.

Portuguese Health Minister has announced easing of restrictions, and hotels/restaurants are accepting the US Paper vaccine shot record.  The current regulation as written only allowed the EU covid passport, which we can't get (understandable); so we'd have to test every 72 hrs.

We're slated to go to Portugal/Spain 11 Apr, and are lined up to do a section of the Camino de Santiago.  Still on fence if we'll stay with that plan, which requires missing 4 weeks of work, or reworking the trip to 3 weeks and staying in Portugal.  We retire in a few years and the Camino may have to wait until we have more time.  And if anyone is wondering, yes, I'm paying for the service that schleps your main bag from hotel to hotel, so you're just carrying a day pack.  No albergues (pilgrims hostel), we both were in service and have had our fill of bunk bed communal living.

SO, it wasn't a pilgrimage for piety, but to clear the mess of the past 2 years from our heads.

Airfare is with United, and being able to change airfare is the only positive I can think of regarding the pandemic and travel. 

Thanks for the encouragement! We have been in a Covid-induced funk for a while now, even though we were lucky and we got to go to Corsica and Spain last year. Omicron made it too challenging to go away in January so it felt like another step backwards. We're cautiously optimistic about this trip, even though it feels a bit like the story of Charlie Brown and Lucy, trying to kick that football...

Glad to hear that some European countries are making things a little easier for tourists by accepting a paper vaccine card. For this trip, we're planning to fly to Pairs first, and spending a day there before heading to Slovenia. So as long as the regs don't change before then, we will be able to get the EU-compatible QR codes in France when we arrive. That document should work for Slovenia and Croatia. There are so many moving parts to keep track of, and the regulations are changing rapidly now. Hopefully everything will relax soon and maybe we can plan something for June.

Have a great time in Spain and Portugal! You will be leaving for that trip just a few days after we come home from Croatia. I hope you blog about your trip somewhere; as you may remember, we did some DIY time in Portugal a few years back and we'd love to get more ideas of what to do next time.

Edited by jpalbny

JP-  I'll have to google 'Trip Report'.  Seems to be something I vaguely remember...

Don't know if you have any interest in WW1, if you do Kobarid has a very interesting museum.  The Isonzo front was brutal; go off to a dubious war and get killed by avalanche.  We arranged a day tour with one of the museum docents, it was an education.  Our guide was on a National committee for the location of preservation of the various war cemeteries.  

Thanks all for the well wishes.  Jazz-  on our river cruises, I use to be the youngest, or one of the youngest.  All of our fellow passengers gave us the same advice as you; travel NOW, do it NOW, when you're body can roll with it better.  Sound advice, and I was really trying to follow it until this pandemic started.  22 months until I can hang up the boots for good, and I can be a true man of leisure.

Here are some Portugal Pics from 2019, first trip in April with oldest daughter and her husband, second in November with two youngest daughters...this April, finally with the boss.

This is an aqueduct feeding a monastery in Tomar.  We were the only ones there, no safety railings, climb at your own risk signs, and off you go.  We were able to climb in random castles, town walls, and forts, both in Slovenia and Portugal, that would make US lawyers weep with joy.  Tomar was the 'HQ' of the Knights Templar, and the Convent of Christ they built was super impressive.  Their true history is fascinating.   A top notch thing to see, 5 stars, no crowd.  Love off season, and to upstate NY folks, the weather was good!

IMG_5534.thumb.JPG.355032958af3d2837ad573d914b9ab88.JPGIMG_5528.thumb.JPG.9394822c34b0dad0a4f07d0f50bb0f58.JPG

Cool cat in Óbidos.  Good place if you can stay the night, otherwise overrun with daytripers.  Vantage had 2 buses we saw as this is their stop when heading from Lisbon to Porto to start the cruise portion of that trip.  Good town walls to explore.

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.deaaf702c5b2e28aed0db7f297f3c258.JPG

And not sure if I can post links, but google Julie Dawn Fox, and she has great articles on Portugal.  Her writeups on the Schist villages are really good.  This areas is maybe 2 hours northeast of Lisbon, and are old villages locked in time, each slightly different. She covers 12 of them, and we made it to 4.

This one has an old roman bridge and other relics kinda scattered about town.  The place has not changed in hundreds on years it seems.

IMG_20190411_122512.thumb.jpg.06efafc383c310a674705edebd30fc29.jpg

Sortelha is a small village located inside town walls, with amazing views from those walls.  The gate on the 'backside' of the village still has the Roman paved road leading out.  Yeah, there were maybe 10 people there with us.  Amazing.

MVIMG_20190411_052517.thumb.jpg.3c24f5343c0ea0d1fe9c74b3008d2e7a.jpg

And I think this is Monsanto.  The house are built into rock and boulders.

IMG_20190411_110329.thumb.jpg.a3087b977cfa86882403118070b77b0a.jpg

Portugal has so much going for it, small random places have the nicest town museums, castles, etc to check out.  Minimal cost, if anything other than donation, and super friendly people.  We visited a castle, got a private tour, all free.  The guide tells us about the archaeology museum in town, only minutes away.  It is built over the excavation, 3 different levels/layers of time that you walk over.  We of course get lost, and when we wind up there 15 minutes later, the museum lady is waiting for us, concerned we decided not to go...as her colleague had called down, to tell her to expect us.  And then gave us another great private tour!  Followed by coffee for 3 with a dessert for maybe 7 euros in a cafe, complete with complimentary 'jamon slices.  I don't think you can go to far wrong wrong.

IMG_20190411_102547.thumb.jpg.7ba0b20bdef6a2445fe9f810fecd74b8.jpg

Lastly, I think you enjoy hikes, the Zezere glaciar area was pretty special.

• Like 4

@Ural Guy, lovely photos🙂.  I was in Portugal back in October and am supposed to be sailing there again in April.  I had never visited that part of Europe before. It is fabulous for sure😃.

6 hours ago, ural guy said:

Here are some Portugal Pics from 2019, first trip in April with oldest daughter and her husband, second in November with two youngest daughters...this April, finally with the boss.

This is an aqueduct feeding a monastery in Tomar.  We were the only ones there, no safety railings, climb at your own risk signs, and off you go.  We were able to climb in random castles, town walls, and forts, both in Slovenia and Portugal, that would make US lawyers weep with joy.  Tomar was the 'HQ' of the Knights Templar, and the Convent of Christ they built was super impressive.  Their true history is fascinating.   A top notch thing to see, 5 stars, no crowd.  Love off season, and to upstate NY folks, the weather was good!

IMG_5534.thumb.JPG.355032958af3d2837ad573d914b9ab88.JPG

IMG_5528.thumb.JPG.9394822c34b0dad0a4f07d0f50bb0f58.JPG

Thanks for the memories, and the suggestions of other places to go. Those villages look very pretty, and must be so much fun to explore.

We climbed the same aqueduct in November 2019 as well. It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. My knees were knocking when I looked over the edge. No railings and a heck of a drop, as you said!

Day4-04.thumb.jpg.f59459d41c3a7a280dfe63dc77244cec.jpg

Chris has no fear of heights and you can tell how much more relaxed she looks, compared to me.

Day4-03.thumb.jpg.09a40383e72b25564d399a0de6970e37.jpg

• Like 2

The aqueduct is amazing. I would love to see it.

@jpalbnyHere is some good news from Slovenia, perhaps not applicable to you but good nonetheless: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/slovenia-lifts-covid-19-certificate-testing-quarantine-requirement-for-all-travellers/

I went on a coach trip to Yugoslavia one or two Summers before things got ugly there. We stayed on the island of Rab in front of mainland Croatia. A good holiday. I remember well the rugged hills we explored on the mainland but not the names in detail. I think it was the National Park: https://np-sjeverni-velebit.hr/www/en/

Weird fun fact: the hills in Yugoslavia were the setting for the Karl May cinematography films, they area doubled as the "Wild West". You may not know the films, but they are iconic in Germany. There are fan sites, etc. Here is a page on the locations: https://www.karl-may-filme.de/drehort/drehorte.html

It is all in German but it gives you an idea of the following and esteem of the fans.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

jpalbany- very cool that you found the same spot.  You didn't see middle daughter in picture, she had no interest whatsoever due to the height. 

For notamermaid, it is the Aqueduto dos Pegões Altos.  "Around 6-km long and constituted by 180 arches, the Aqueduct of Pegões was one of the main public works built in the 17th century in Portugal. This monumental work was designed by the distinguished architect Filipe Terzi, in order to supply water to the Convent of Christ - linking the Convent with the village of Pegões on the outskirts of Tomar, where there were four natural springs.

This aqueduct – one of the largest and most impressive in Portugal - is constituted by simple arches, with a dual layer of arches in the deepest zones, attaining a maximum height of 30 metres."

Viseu is another smaller city we enjoyed.  They have several museums, including 'The Cathedral churchyard Adro da Sé is a focal point of any visit. Here granite predominates in an imposing group formed by the Três Escalões Palace, which houses the Grão Vasco Museum, the Cathedral, the Canons’ balcony and the Keep; opposite, the equally majestic Misericórdia Church, with its rocaille façade, introduces a cheerful note to the sobriety of the square.' That entire complex is interesting, what I really liked was off the cathedral they had a collection of different altars, statues, stained glass; all that had come from various churches and cathedrals across the country.

The city has won several awards for being one of the most 'Liveable Cities' in Portugal, and it does  have a really nice vibe.  This is one of the places we were called back to the kitchen to figure out the menu, due to language barrier.  A nephew showed up at one point to help translate.  We were the only people there, made to feel so at home.  After the meal, brought back to the kitchen so he could show us the mushrooms that he used in our meal, tried telling us where they came from, more shots...great food, company, what could be better?

In Viseu, we stayed at BeMyGuest by Besolution - Loft Guest House, which is a 2 minute walk from that Cathedral Complex.  We stayed in a great 2 bedroom apartment, with a wall of 7' high arched windows, maybe five on them in a row set into brick walls, wood floors, the girls up in the loft...antique Singer sewing machine in room, gorgeous vintage mopeds suspended through the centuries old building...all for 100E a night. Really sweet.

Are you staying in Ljubljana?  It really is great place to visit, hopefully you'll catch one of the markets running.  The Barbo Palace is in the pedestrian zone and has great lodging, again for around 100E for a small apartment, and your in an old Palace, 2 minute walk from where the two split pedestrian bridges are. 

Edited by ural guy
spelling
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ural guy said:

Are you staying in Ljubljana?  It really is great place to visit, hopefully you'll catch one of the markets running.  The Barbo Palace is in the pedestrian zone and has great lodging, again for around 100E for a small apartment, and your in an old Palace, 2 minute walk from where the two split pedestrian bridges are. 

We are spending 3 nights in Ljubljana before heading on to Croatia. We're actually doing this as a guided tour (for just the 2 of us) through A&K, instead of going on our own. While we probably could do this part of the world independently, we had a big deposit tied up w/ A&K from a canceled trip to China in June 2020. That was supposed to be a private tour for our 25th anniversary. So we had planned a fairly nice trip.

Since the money was already spent, we decided to use it to do a really nice guided tour through Slovenia and Croatia instead. Since who knows when we will ever get to China?

In Ljubljana we are staying at the Grand Hotel Union, which seems nicely located. By Google maps, it appears that this hotel is not too far from Barbo Palace. We are really looking forward to visiting this part of the world!

42 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We are spending 3 nights in Ljubljana before heading on to Croatia. We're actually doing this as a guided tour (for just the 2 of us) through A&K, instead of going on our own. While we probably could do this part of the world independently, we had a big deposit tied up w/ A&K from a canceled trip to China in June 2020. That was supposed to be a private tour for our 25th anniversary. So we had planned a fairly nice trip.

Since the money was already spent, we decided to use it to do a really nice guided tour through Slovenia and Croatia instead. Since who knows when we will ever get to China?

In Ljubljana we are staying at the Grand Hotel Union, which seems nicely located. By Google maps, it appears that this hotel is not too far from Barbo Palace. We are really looking forward to visiting this part of the world!

You'll have a blast!, glad that you're able to use your deposit money in a productive way.

• Thanks 1

@Second seating Sorry to hear about the cruise. Bordeaux to Amsterdam is a normal itinerary that sounds perfectly doable by May with few to no restrictions. Any idea what made them cancel?

Castles along the Rhine is a great itinerary. I prefer the Uniworld one to the Viking Rhine Getaway. I hope Uniworld still have that break in the Rhine Gorge sailing, i.e. dock in Boppard.

Should be fun wherever you stop. Enjoy.

notamermaid

19 hours ago, jpalbny said:

There is a castle on the hill to hike up to😁 It was frigid the day we were there, but we loved the city. We found a small restaurant with local craft beer and warmed up. It's a very quaint and cute city. 

Enjoy!

Robin

• Thanks 1

Ljubljana Castle, you can either walk up, or take a funicular up.  I was impatient and walked up, and Ma took the funicular up, I think so she could get more sock knitting time in while waiting.

IMG_5193.thumb.JPG.3327dc0dd4ba4b6970f22c0363a7f230.JPG

If you take funicular, there is a nearby water fountain (actually there a quite a few throughout the city, a European rarity).

IMG_5247.thumb.JPG.dd3add0fc75c42e132a09653b5030008.JPG

and other critters.

IMG_5253.thumb.JPG.2369067a29578afc3e7e3501c6016555.JPG

IMG_5161.thumb.JPG.d3a810579fc2a4e185d54bccf4e72f58.JPG

IMG_5243.thumb.JPG.85d5db547e8b18f651ee837d0ca5f837.JPG

IMG_5249.thumb.JPG.f05a972e340e2c84f6673a053258f094.JPG

Another fountain (2 blocks from Barbo Palace, heading away from double bridge, so probably close to JP's lodging).

IMG_5317.thumb.JPG.07f4a4281e9e3f0819e87f6a36f952c4.JPG

And I really like street art, so Metalkova Mesto was a hit.  It's an old Army barracks that squatters turned into an art gallery of sorts.  Very neat place.

IMG_5275.thumb.JPG.132fa26e03e110fff7909d0adad73c0f.JPG

IMG_5256.thumb.JPG.993b895175cde34bd3ead90ebc99b12e.JPG IMG_5262.thumb.JPG.5a28a3dbc265d3f190801ce595cfd126.JPG

IMG_5267.thumb.JPG.dfa6e62a087ecccf2212bbbdac200946.JPG

IMG_5274.thumb.JPG.eb7c7bbafabf305ce0a38dae767a7c53.JPG   

IMG_5214.thumb.JPG.1d46bc640054fbf38f7253d110666c87.JPG                

And Lastly, I thought this image from a Slovenian War Memorial was chilling at the time, and current events make it worse.

IMG_5297.thumb.JPG.fba1c12038c8643b5c1d632d600246e1.JPG

A sad tale as old as time.  The street gallery had another picture I love, but won't post as it has a 'bad' word, so I'll try and describe.  Two words. F$#@ War.  And the image is a Flying Monkey (from Wizard of Oz) with a human face, bending down to pet a cat.       

We had a great time in Ljulijana, a very walkable city with a lot to offer.   

IMG_5239.thumb.JPG.afefdd032c6b41d317d93acaed729c3d.JPG                       

IMG_5262.JPG

Edited by ural guy
delete duplicate pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for whetting my appetite, @ural guy! Really enjoyed the pictures. Getting very excited for this trip. We leave 4 weeks from today! Can't wait! We've been talking about visiting Slovenia for years and now it's so close...

Those pictures look exactly what your Chris would like. Enjoy!

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:42 AM, notamermaid said:

@Second seating Sorry to hear about the cruise. Bordeaux to Amsterdam is a normal itinerary that sounds perfectly doable by May with few to no restrictions. Any idea what made them cancel?

Castles along the Rhine is a great itinerary. I prefer the Uniworld one to the Viking Rhine Getaway. I hope Uniworld still have that break in the Rhine Gorge sailing, i.e. dock in Boppard.

Should be fun wherever you stop. Enjoy.

notamermaid

This is the reason for cancellation

"We are sorry to inform you that due to fleet scheduling changes your clients’ cruise has been canceled. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has impacted our bookings for spring sailings in Europe, and we must adjust accordingly. Star Pride will launch in June, and Star Legend will pick up select Star Pride sailings in April and May. We apologize for the inconvenience and invite your clients to join us on an alternative cruise itinerary."

We are looking forward to seeing the Rhine again, our last visit was in December maybe 2009 on a Uniworld cruise.

Second seating

2 hours ago, Second seating said:

This is the reason for cancellation

"We are sorry to inform you that due to fleet scheduling changes your clients’ cruise has been canceled. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has impacted our bookings for spring sailings in Europe, and we must adjust accordingly. Star Pride will launch in June, and Star Legend will pick up select Star Pride sailings in April and May. We apologize for the inconvenience and invite your clients to join us on an alternative cruise itinerary."

We are looking forward to seeing the Rhine again, our last visit was in December maybe 2009 on a Uniworld cruise.

Second seating

Sorry.

Portugal change of plans, various reasons, no Camino.  Shortened to 20 nights in country, United made changing the tickets super easy, just needed to make return leg earlier and home from Lisbon.  Going to drive to Newark, not doing a 6 hr layover just to get direct flight to Porto.  

3 Nights Porto, then pickup car

3 Nights Ponte de Lima, where camino was due to start

4 nights Viseu, same hotel/room as before.

2 nights Casetelo Novo, 2 nights Monsanto, both the tiny Shist village region.

3 nights Tomar

Drop car, 3 nights Lisbon.

Everything but 5 nights booked.  Great Lisbon location (for me at least) at 'top' of Avenue Liberdad, across street from Parque Eduardo VII.

Apartment, Key pickup, car drop off, numerous metro stops and within 500 meters of each other.

So far all apartments, and everything under 100E, for what looks like really nice places.  When we checked in Viseu hotel for Nov 19 trip, and the desk clerk showed us the apartment, we saw the vintage Singer sewing machine and how great the space is, huge windows overlooking garden, my daughters and I knew I had to get Ma their.  She has 3 Singers, the one she used almost daily for quilting was a 1933.  Amazing machines, found all over the world.  

So there it is.  We figured the Camino will be there in 2 years when we are retired and not pressed for time as much.  11 April departures, and Covid restrictions heading in right direction.

This video is made by the Historical Society that oversees the Shist VIllage region of Central Portugal, it won several awards and has some great scenes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1