River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

On 3/2/2022 at 11:26 PM, gnome12 said:

I did the train on an 8 day tour of the Scottish Highlands (which replaced a Norwegian cruise that got cancelled). The scenery was lovely, but there was a lot of smoke that blew in the open windows, which wasn’t great for my asthma. 

Certainly not good. One needs to be careful.

A relative of mine loved the scenery of Scotland, but was in a different area, not the train ride, a coach tour. She came back saying how good the fresh air and the breeze from the sea with the salt was for her breathing. She has health problems that are pulmonary but not full-blown asthma.

@lyndarra that is quite an engine. It looks like a vintage electric but I am not familiar with old British ones. I enjoyed the German ones in the museum at Koblenz Lützel, they specialize in preserving electric locomotives and also have other engines and carriages: https://dbmuseum.de/en/koblenz/news/latest-information

Not open very often but if it fits in with a river cruise or a land trip it is an interesting small museum for enthusiasts.

notamermaid

17 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I think it’s a Brush Falcon and it’s diesel some people think it’s beautiful!

Aah, I thought it was electric, you put the electricity in a live rail sometimes, got me confused. We always have it overhead I believe. Brush Falcon? They look a bit different in the photos I have seen, but it does not look like a Deltic either. so I will leave it at Brush. Yeah, beauty contest, no... For me it is like an ugly dog, to which the owner says "it is such a lovely dog". You believe it is pet that person is endeared to but you do not find it a beautiful one!

notamermaid

We know the Saint Lawrence River as the Sankt-Lorenz-Strom, "Strom" is stream or river, no idea why we say that word instead of the standard "Fluß". Daisi, what is the seaway compared to the river? Would that be the estuary section perhaps?

I would also be interested in watching that. Some BBC documentaries make it over on to German television (dubbed). Is it a BBC production?

Found a "new" cable TV channel called ServusTV. It is in German and based in Austria. They buy in documentaries from foreign countries. Some more stuff for me to watch, like health, travel, mysterious museum objects... And mountains of course. :classic_biggrin: Very informative and fun.

notamermaid

21 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

It’s  called ‘Worlds most scenic  River Journeys’ narrated by Bill Nighy  IMBD has the details..

Oh, thanks. We talked about the Moselle episode some time back I remember, that was season 1. Season 2 will be quite restricted due to copyright. I will have to wait quite a bit probably.

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

It’s  called ‘Worlds most scenic  River Journeys’ narrated by Bill Nighy  IMBD has the details..

OK, we are watching that.. it will be on the Moselle tonight.  We are only on Season 1 here.  I am just over an hour from Kingston.

@notamermaidthe "Seaway" is the part of the St. Lawrence River that has the locks.  It runs from Montreal to Lake Erie, passing back & forth between Canada & the USA.  Here is a link for you for main info.  

https://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/the-seaway/

• Thanks 1

Daisi, I will look up that link, but in the meantime we were taught the St Lawrence seaway is the collection of locks, channels, lakes and rivers that connects the great lakes to the Atlantic ocean all the way from Lake Superior.   I used to live about 15m from the St. Lawrence river, ( that is meters, not miles) and had the best view of traffic on the water. Also heard things that go bump in the night.  That part of the river was used for running contraband across the border and anyone who had a dock was encouraged to keep their blinds closed at night and not see or hear anything. 😉

RB 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, CPT Trips said:

You might want to check out “Do What You Like” by Blind Faith, the original rock supergroup. More than a little pretentious, but definitely “Take 5” influenced. The best drummer ever, Ginger Baker, is outstanding on this track.

Found a video of a live performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRWboKYqyE

Thanks for the tip. A watched a documentary on Ginger Baker last year. He was quite a phenomenon...

Sent that video to a dear person who is a (amateur) musician. He had introduced me to Cream and Ginger Baker and sure rates that drummer as one of the best ones ever. He would discuss with you who is best:classic_wink: I am sure he will love the drum solo.

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Daisi, I will look up that link, but in the meantime we were taught the St Lawrence seaway is the collection of locks, channels, lakes and rivers that connects the great lakes to the Atlantic ocean all the way from Lake Superior.   I used to live about 15m from the St. Lawrence river, ( that is meters, not miles) and had the best view of traffic on the water. Also heard things that go bump in the night.  That part of the river was used for running contraband across the border and anyone who had a dock was encouraged to keep their blinds closed at night and not see or hear anything. 😉

RB 

Yes, there seems to be some difference of what "exactly" is covered by the Seaway.  I took the link from the Seaway system itself, but I think what gets people confused is the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes Waterway are joined in together. 

I just got the expected email from Noble Caledonia about my upcoming Baltic Odyssey cruise.  Three days in St Petersburg – gone.  Instead, more time in Gdansk (with an evening concert), Tallinn (also a concert added in the evening) and Stockholm plus new stops in Mariehamn in the Aland Islands and Parnu in Estonia.  Added to the existing itinerary it makes a very comprehensive cruise in the Baltic, while avoiding Russia.  We were iffy about visiting Putinland anyway, so it feels like a good act of defiance to spend money in all these neighboring countries without giving him any.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just got the expected email from Noble Caledonia about my upcoming Baltic Odyssey cruise.  Three days in St Petersburg – gone.  Instead, more time in Gdansk (with an evening concert), Tallinn (also a concert added in the evening) and Stockholm plus new stops in Mariehamn in the Aland Islands and Parnu in Estonia.  Added to the existing itinerary it makes a very comprehensive cruise in the Baltic, while avoiding Russia.  We were iffy about visiting Putinland anyway, so it feels like a good act of defiance to spend money in all these neighboring countries without giving him any.

Those are good substitutions.

• Thanks 1

Oooh, Belgravia. Nice. How about a cruise along the coastline rather than crossing a wide expanse? Or a mix of river and coastline like CroisiEurope does?

Haven't looked at Jazzbeau's route but it sounds to be relatively close to land, right? Do these ships go far out to sea before getting in sight of the next port? I have really no idea how this works, only ever having crossed the English Channel (not always pleasant).

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

......., Tallinn (also a concert added in the evening) ..........

If you're interested in Estonian history, i suggest watching the documentary The Singing Revolution (2006) on one of the many TV channels (we found it on Kanopy, which is somehow through our local library system).   It's a great overview of Estonia's "non-violent fight" for independence in 1991.   While in Tallinn, you will probably be taken to the large, outdoor concert arena.

Even more interesting in light of what's happening in Ukraine.

Hi All,

I did something I didn't think I would do.

I booked a 21 night Med Cruise for April. I am hoping COVID stays quiet and my cruise goes off with out a hitch. I had this cruise scheduled in 2019 and had to cancel it due to getting sick. It is a bucket list cruise for me. I have been to a few ports but have not been to Greece or Turkey. 

I am going by myself - booked it last minute and got a great price with no single supplement. Was upgraded to a minisuite which will be nice. There is such a small roll call on this sailing - it actually is (3) 7 night cruises so people are booking it in segments and also as 14 night cruises.

I am still wearing my face mask everywhere as I don't want to risk this trip being affected.

Theresa

• Like 3

17 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Oooh, Belgravia. Nice. How about a cruise along the coastline rather than crossing a wide expanse? Or a mix of river and coastline like CroisiEurope does?

Haven't looked at Jazzbeau's route but it sounds to be relatively close to land, right? Do these ships go far out to sea before getting in sight of the next port? I have really no idea how this works, only ever having crossed the English Channel (not always pleasant).

notamermaid

They do many 'round-Britain itineraries, including some with a focus on the smaller islands (Scyllies, Hebrides – even uninhabited ones because of a focus on birding). 

Here is our itinerary, which is more mainstream:1890816873_BalticOdysseyMap(rev.itinerary).jpg.2c968bca9ea9cb9120e41f7b7250e174.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 5:14 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here is our itinerary, which is more mainstream

So you are crossing the Baltic Sea twice. It looks really nice, so interesting. I have never been further East from Poland, would be great to see all those places. Especially the Art Nouveau architecture.

With family commitments in February and March and work having shifted (colleague is ill), I have had to put my plans for England on hold. Now the Würzburg area is back on the table, seeing that I can do this at short notice and it would only be a three-day stay.

I really need to get out. This Rhenish rebellious girl is again very unhappy with Prussia, I caught myself saying to someone the other day something like "life was pleasant when Bonn was our capital". We are sooo different from each other, I think it may be a mix of weather and wine :classic_smile:... Incidentally - and I am really not implying anything -, something that may not be so often talked about to tourists is the fact that in Koblenz  and other places along the Rhine there was an uprising in 1923 to establish a "Rhenish republic". I wonder if guides mention that. No, I do not know of any ancestor of mine having been part of it. :classic_wink:

The neighbour's cats have had a difficult winter and are not available for cuddles and I will now spent my week off work next week at home awaiting better days that may not come. Anyway, before my mind is fully envelopped by despair and doom, I will tell you that the river cruise ships are sailing again on my river, I have already seen two Viking ones and an Arosa ship and the blue arrows on marinetraffic are increasing by the day!

A few warm days have made Spring flowers grow and in a sheltered spot in my backyard the daffodils, two varieties planted by my neighbour, are doing very well:

DSCN4350.thumb.JPG.f0d93acd7cb26af6bc8cd80ff7cc8836.JPG

1847823439_4354-Kopie.thumb.JPG.647403e67f3851fc86e55a363482b7ac.JPG

Hope you all have a good week.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Preparing to play at Mass yesterday and honor the people of Ukraine, I found this beautiful rendition of their national anthem:

https://nj1015.com/beautiful-nj-teen-plays-her-cello-version-of-ukraine-anthem-on-beach/

PS – and notice my new avatar!

• Like 6