River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Does anyone think the US will drop the COVID test requirement to re-enter the country for vaccinated and boostered individuals at some point soon?  Most of Europe is dropping this requirement for vaccinated individuals.   It seems strange that I can travel from high-COVID/low vaxxed state to high-COVID/low vaxxed state, and no test is needed, but if I return from a low-COVID highly vaxxed country, I need a test.

I am praying that the CDC's adjustment of the mask recommendations is the first step in transitioning to life with COVID as an endemic disease, like the seasonal flu.  There needs to be some recognition that the situation in New England, for example, is nothing like that in the deep south.  I would feel safer in the UK than I would in some US states, TBH.

Jazz-  if you're in Porto:

https://portoalities.com/en/best-jazz-clubs-in-porto/

Article is dated pre-covid, so hopefully these places have survived, I will report back. 

I've lived in a place with more cows than people for most of my life, so have only been to a jazz clubs in Frankfurt, Cork and New Orleans.  Ball Bearing was playing in Frankfurt, and they played Take Five.  I am to this day embarrassed I tried to tell someone it was written by Dave Brubeck and not Paul Desmond.

That I can remember that from 1987, especially as herself was back in Lindflur (we usually combine on memories, and get them 80% right).  Thank you Verren and Tickle for staying.  We were toasted and were smart lads and kept our mouth mostly shut other than my mistep.  Great evening.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, sharkster77 said:

Does anyone think the US will drop the COVID test requirement to re-enter the country for vaccinated and boostered individuals at some point soon?  Most of Europe is dropping this requirement for vaccinated individuals.   It seems strange that I can travel from high-COVID/low vaxxed state to high-COVID/low vaxxed state, and no test is needed, but if I return from a low-COVID highly vaxxed country, I need a test.

I am praying that the CDC's adjustment of the mask recommendations is the first step in transitioning to life with COVID as an endemic disease, like the seasonal flu.  There needs to be some recognition that the situation in New England, for example, is nothing like that in the deep south.  I would feel safer in the UK than I would in some US states, TBH.

Here’s to hoping. I bought tests that come with a video “administrator” for returning to the US because they’re much less expensive than testing at the airport. 

1 hour ago, Gopherpharm said:

Here’s to hoping. I bought tests that come with a video “administrator” for returning to the US because they’re much less expensive than testing at the airport. 

If I may ask (and if it's allowed on this board) what brand did you buy?  We fly to Canada in June---praying that this onerous requirement is gone by then (coming and going).  We're fully vaccinated and boostered, doing all we can.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As old age has started to put a hitch in my giddy-up, I sometimes walk to the rhythm of Take 5 :classic_ohmy:

Add some of Porto’s finest beverage to desert and you’ll be hitching your giddy-up to “Unsquare Dance.” 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

If I may ask (and if it's allowed on this board) what brand did you buy?  We fly to Canada in June---praying that this onerous requirement is gone by then (coming and going).  We're fully vaccinated and boostered, doing all we can.

They are BinaxNOW and I bought through the Optum Store online. My colleague used these successfully coming home from Canada a few months ago!

4 hours ago, Gopherpharm said:

They are BinaxNOW and I bought through the Optum Store online. My colleague used these successfully coming home from Canada a few months ago!

I thank you!!

To follow up, there are 2 BinaxNow kits, a cheaper one that will NOT satisfy US re-entry requirements, and one that WILL satisfy the rules.  $23/2 tests vs $70/2 tests. Still lots cheaper than an airport test!

Edited by sharkster77

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I thank you!!

To follow up, there are 2 BinaxNow kits, a cheaper one that will NOT satisfy US re-entry requirements, and one that WILL satisfy the rules.  $23/2 tests vs $70/2 tests. Still lots cheaper than an airport test!

Exactly right! If the test does not require a proctor during the testing then you will not get the necessary paperwork to show to the authorities. We have been getting ours from Quest Diagnostics:

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/rapidantigen

Here is what the correct test kit will look like...

Cheers

BinaxNOW_AG_Card.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:44 AM, Canal archive said:

Oh wow CPT Trips thank you for that, took me back to the Royal Albert Hall some few years ago for a jazz event during the Proms Season  the place was hopping. After being at the same venue that year for the annual WI event and the entire place singing Jerusalem, what music can do!

It was truly my pleasure. After hearing the 5/4 signature, I remembered this 7/4 classic. Dave’s kids do well.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:33 PM, Canal archive said:

Remembering the jazz clubs of my youth and having grooved to some of the greats of British jazz  takes me back to my teens. I’ve just played Take Five again. Thank you great memories.

Great tune. Not many with 5 beats to the bar.

Catches the youngsters out and then they act like it’s just been discovered, eh wallah!

Jazz we have guys setting out from the U.K.  trying to work out how to take the amount of equipment the ‘man in the street’ has given them. I really hope their wonderful mindset lasts.

Music - the stuff that keeps me sane, together with family and cats. Never warmed to jazz, I am firmly rooted in rock, pop and new wave. But give me Dowland lute music to relax with any time. I worked in the classical music industry for some years so picked up some pieces along the way that are still favourites. Like Henry Purcell for example. One day perhaps I may get to see a concert in the Royal Albert Hall.

Trying to escape from the news I have been looking at DW Travel again lately and found this nice video of the "Jacobite" steam train. Oh, I would love to see that, have been trying to be on it for about ten years, has not worked out so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPl39EXSNw

notamermaid

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here is a meme that beautifully unites my heritage and my profession:

562671766_UkrainianLibrarians.thumb.jpg.7da0586c7ef434f4a1dc86ecff83d45b.jpg

Thanks Jazz---sent this to my high school librarian daughter--asked if all librarians were this "badass"--she replied 'of course!'

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Music - the stuff that keeps me sane, together with family and cats. Never warmed to jazz, I am firmly rooted in rock, pop and new wave. But give me Dowland lute music to relax with any time. I worked in the classical music industry for some years so picked up some pieces along the way that are still favourites. Like Henry Purcell for example. One day perhaps I may get to see a concert in the Royal Albert Hall.

Trying to escape from the news I have been looking at DW Travel again lately and found this nice video of the "Jacobite" steam train. Oh, I would love to see that, have been trying to be on it for about ten years, has not worked out so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPl39EXSNw

notamermaid

I did the train on an 8 day tour of the Scottish Highlands (which replaced a Norwegian cruise that got cancelled). The scenery was lovely, but there was a lot of smoke that blew in the open windows, which wasn’t great for my asthma. 

gnome12 I can understand that, although I bet the air in Scotland without the smoke helped. We’ve steam trained up the Howe Sound memorable and also from Dover to London after the Orient Express. On the English leg the train was filled with water at one stop by the local fire brigade now that was a sight to see.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

My late wife and I did that tour in Jun 2018. It was supposed to have been a steam train trip but we ended up with this ugly thing to take us to Mallaig and back but the  scenery was awesome

IMG_20180530_135705367.jpg

On 3/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

You might want to check out “Do What You Like” by Blind Faith, the original rock supergroup. More than a little pretentious, but definitely “Take 5” influenced. The best drummer ever, Ginger Baker, is outstanding on this track.