River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

The sun has set dusty-dramatically over the Rhine valley, we are waiting for rain to water plants and fill the river (and clean the dust of cars) and I have had my work schedule rearranged again. So the trip to Würzburg may well be postponed but I used the opportunity and the fine weather to have a day trip out. The place has a tower with a gruesome history, a fabulous "Gymnasium", two rivers, a very friendly cat and lots of half-timbered houses. Needless to say really, as a result I had a fabulous time. The town is called Idstein.

You could look this up on the internet, the winter images are especially stunning, or wait till I have got my photos in order - which are not quite as stunning...

Talk to you soon. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 2:21 PM, notamermaid said:

@jpalbny I believe you are leaving soon for your trip. Have a great time in the Balcans.

notamermaid

Thank you! We leave tomorrow evening for Paris, then we have a day to rest before flying to Ljubljana.

Well, we have only 23 hours to rest because Europe starts DST this weekend! Close enough. Very much looking forward to seeing Slovenia, and many new stops for us in Croatia.

• Like 5

Has anyone heard from @dogs4fun ? I have sent a few emails. It doesn't appear she has posted recently. 

I leave on Friday for a 21 night Med cruise. I need to pack this weekend. I am flying in the day of which I hate. My flight has 3 hops, something else I am not fond of but where I live, it is not uncommon. I didn't know testing requirements when I first booked some 40 days ago. They want us to test within 1 day of the cruise so it appears I will be doing a home test at 2 am, leaving for airport at 4 am and flight at 6 am.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 1:39 PM, jpalbny said:

Well, we have only 23 hours to rest because Europe starts DST this weekend! Close enough. Very much looking forward to seeing Slovenia, and many new stops for us in Croatia.

My birthday feel on DST once - I felt it was incredibly unfair as I only had 23 hours to celebrate that year!

I hope you are having an amazing trip!

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:39 PM, jpalbny said:

Thank you! We leave tomorrow evening for Paris, then we have a day to rest before flying to Ljubljana.

Enjoy! We really likes Slovenia, even though it was quite "westernized" in parts (the highway system, for example). If you make it to Lake Bled, the Bled cake is a must.

Robin

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

Has anyone heard from @dogs4fun ? I have sent a few emails. It doesn't appear she has posted recently. 

I leave on Friday for a 21 night Med cruise. I need to pack this weekend. I am flying in the day of which I hate. My flight has 3 hops, something else I am not fond of but where I live, it is not uncommon. I didn't know testing requirements when I first booked some 40 days ago. They want us to test within 1 day of the cruise so it appears I will be doing a home test at 2 am, leaving for airport at 4 am and flight at 6 am.

Enjoy!

Robin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Robin - did you move? I didn't think you were living in FL.

I was wondering if anyone would notice😁  Covid has thrown us all a lot of curve balls, and for my husband, he was transitioned to a full-time work from home position. This has allowed us to move up our "working retirement" date, as I like to call it. So, I closed my solo private practice and took a job with a pediatric healthcare system here in FL. I have been here a month now, and have a lot less stress, not having to run a business.

The good news is, I will get 4+ weeks of vacation a year now.....

Robin

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I was wondering if anyone would notice😁  Covid has thrown us all a lot of curve balls, and for my husband, he was transitioned to a full-time work from home position. This has allowed us to move up our "working retirement" date, as I like to call it. So, I closed my solo private practice and took a job with a pediatric healthcare system here in FL. I have been here a month now, and have a lot less stress, not having to run a business.

Robin

Welcome........happy you are happy. There are some things I love about the state and other things?

Sometimes I think I am living in the wrong state. 

Enjoy the weather🙂

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Welcome........happy you are happy. There are some things I love about the state and other things?

Sometimes I think I am living in the wrong state. 

Enjoy the weather🙂

I moved from KY, so......😏

I have learned that FL has a ridge, and I live on it.....near constant breeze, and I can see Bok Tower from my balcony. We will be building a house soon, but in the meantime, living a simple life in an apartment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Robin

I was wondering if this happened months ago and I entirely missed it and all the cool conversations around it! Glad I didn't!

I hope you and your husband are very happy in your new location! I am guessing there are a lot of benefits of joining a large practice with one being able to travel more and the second having coworkers and backup so that when you do travel, you know your patients are well cared for and you don't have to worry about them! This way you can enjoy your vacations even more!

Congrats!

26 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I moved from KY, so......😏

I have learned that FL has a ridge, and I live on it.....near constant breeze, and I can see Bok Tower from my balcony. We will be building a house soon, but in the meantime, living a simple life in an apartment. 

I built a house once. So many decisions. I learned a lot so that I think if I can ever build a house again, I will get it right the second time! 🙂 You look like you are in a great area.  Just looked at Bok Tower gardens. Beautiful!

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Congratulations Robin! Sounds like a great move for you. 

Thanks JP, we think it is great😀 ACWDad is still in KY with our son until his semester is done, and is envious of me being in warmer weather. Other than leaving my family in KY, we couldn't think of any downside.

Have fun in France/Slovenia!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@acwmom Congratulations on the move and career change. Sounds like you have settled in. All the best in your new home and that the house comes along exactly according to your plans.

notamermaid

Thank you! I spent 4 hours with the builder last weekend, and hope to have final plans about the time we get an offer on our existing home (which we haven't put on the market yet for fear it will sell too quickly)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

I built a house once. So many decisions. I learned a lot so that I think if I can ever build a house again, I will get it right the second time! 🙂 You look like you are in a great area.  Just looked at Bok Tower gardens. Beautiful!

This will be the 4th one we have built but the first one with a true custom builder. Definitely a lot of decisions, a lot more than we have been able to make in the past. It will give us something to look forward to for the next several months.

Yes, it is a beautiful area. Not the hustle and bustle of Orlando, and halfway between Orlando and Tampa. We see easy Caribbean cruises in our future.

Robin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

acwmom congratulations a huge step to take but a good one enjoy your future building and step by step to retirement and hopefully many many more cruises.

Thank you! I especially like that last part! We postponed our cruise in April due to all of our changes. We will be going in October instead....lots to do between now and then.

• Like 1

Bok Tower...don't hear that mentioned often!  I visited with my kids 12-15 years back, what a fun place, and so out of the ordinary.  My mom was born in Miami Shores, and was quite happy to hear we stopped...she had visited in the late 30's with her parents, when she was a girl.  That and Weechie Watchie for the mermaid show are old Florida fun.  Dodging alligators while canoeing on the Peace River, all good times.

Best wishes for a smooth build on your house.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ural guy said:

Bok Tower...don't hear that mentioned often!  I visited with my kids 12-15 years back, what a fun place, and so out of the ordinary.  My mom was born in Miami Shores, and was quite happy to hear we stopped...she had visited in the late 30's with her parents, when she was a girl.  That and Weechie Watchie for the mermaid show are old Florida fun.  Dodging alligators while canoeing on the Peace River, all good times.

Best wishes for a smooth build on your house.  

I was reliving my youth two months ago when we went to the 3pm mermaid show (which I had seen as a kid).  Homosassa Springs in the morning, with over 50 manatees enjoying the warm water there, then Weeki Wachee – a great day!

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was reliving my youth two months ago when we went to the 3pm mermaid show (which I had seen as a kid).  Homosassa Springs in the morning, with over 50 manatees enjoying the warm water there, then Weeki Wachee – a great day!

Hi Jazz🙂 I have been to both places and remember as a little girl visiting my cousins in Tampa and we went to Weeki Wachee......they had the girls on the water skis and put on a show.  Oh.....that is what you were referring to.......the Mermaid Show!