Canada likely to keep border closed well into 2021, Alaska season could be in jeopardy

OTTAWA — Canada will not agree to lifting a ban on non-essential travel with the United States until the coronavirus outbreak is significantly under control around the world, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday.

Trudeau’s comments were a clear indication that the border restrictions will last well into 2021. The two neighbours agreed to the ban in March and have rolled it over on a monthly basis ever since.

Full article.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-indicates-canada-u-s-border-restrictions-to-last-a-long-time

31 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I still haven't figured out why Canadian citizens can travel back and forth across the border by car and yet Americans can't pass through, or am I misunderstanding the rule.

The US does not have border restrictions.

4 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The US does not have border restrictions.

Yeah, but if you let your own citizenry mix with US citizens and freely go back an forth that certainly does not keep the virus away.  It doesn't make sense unless I misunderstand the rule.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Yes so we cant travel to the United States BY CAR until the whole world is better but flying in is and has not been a problem this whole time. Where is the logic behind this?

If you enter Canada (by plane or otherwise), you are required to self-isolate/quarantine for two weeks. 

I imagine the land-border closings are to suppress casual day-trippers, who obviously aren't going to self-isolate.  If you fly, your ticket will show your planned return date.

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I still haven't figured out why Canadian citizens can travel back and forth across the border by car and yet Americans can't pass through, or am I misunderstanding the rule.

Canadians are required to quarantine too, not just non-residents.

And as far as I am aware, the border closing is bi-lateral, so the US has closed its land borders to non-essential traffic.

• Like 1

I read there's a completely legal service where a company flies Canadians on a 15 minute flight from Quebec to Plattsburgh, NY while the company ships their cars over the border to them by truck and they're soon on their way to Florida or wherever by car. Doesn't make much sense.

10 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I read there's a completely legal service where a company flies Canadians on a 15 minute flight from Quebec to Plattsburgh, NY while the company ships their cars over the border to them by truck and they're soon on their way to Florida or wherever by car. Doesn't make much sense.

Forget about whether the cars or RVs get across the border, it’s about the people.  Strangely enough, the US permits Canadians to fly in without much quarantine requirement(s), if any, in most states.  So, truckers are simply doing what they are permitted to do at the land border and snowbirds are doing what they’re permitted to do.  It doesn’t work for Americans who want to come to Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, carlyman said:

So if I have an Alaska cruise departing from Vancouver this year....I should assume it's cancelled?  I haven't heard anything from Celebrity yet.

Since all Canadian ports and Canadian waters are closed to cruise ships until 28th Feb 2022, I suggest it is guaranteed that Alaska 21 cruises are not happening.

I guess that's why I'm surprised I haven't heard anything from Celebrity yet.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:56 PM, Heidi13 said:

Since all Canadian ports and Canadian waters are closed to cruise ships until 28th Feb 2022, I suggest it is guaranteed that Alaska 21 cruises are not happening.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, sunsetme said:

interesting how the Canadian snow birds seem to enter the country

Your government lets them in, everyone pre-clears US immigration on Canadian soil.  If the US government didn't want them there, they would have been refused entry by immigration.   

If you have concerns about that, ask your government about their policy in respect to foreign travelers and entry requirements. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Alaskan Senators Murkowski and Sullivan introducing a bill (Alaska Tourism Recovery Act) to try to temporarily alleviate the need for a Canadian port of call as essentially required by the Passenger Vessel Services Act might save part of the Alaskan cruise season while freaking out BC ports of call, hoping it won't be made permanent.

9 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Alaskan Senators Murkowski and Sullivan introducing a bill (Alaska Tourism Recovery Act) to try to temporarily alleviate the need for a Canadian port of call as essentially required by the Passenger Vessel Services Act might save part of the Alaskan cruise season while freaking out BC ports of call, hoping it won't be made permanent.

This was mentioned on one of the other Boards, probably the Alaska one. Apparently they are trying to change the definition of a "Foreign Voyage", so that a voyage to Alaska from another US Port is considered to be a foreign voyage, which would negate the need to stop at a BC Port.

As signatory to the relevant IMO Conventions, the US is required to implement them into their laws, so to change the definition of a "Foreign Voyage" would first require a change at IMO, which isn't known for speedy changes. The other option is for Alaska to leave the USA. If either option was likely, it probably wouldn't be completed in 6 months.

Best summation is 2 polititions saying to the locals that we tried to get the ships back, so they will be looked upon favourably at the next election.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Best summation is 2 polititions saying to the locals that we tried to get the ships back, so they will be looked upon favourably at the next election.

You just hit the nail on the head!  By the time any changes are made to the law, it will be at least late into 2022 and ships will most likely have been welcomed back to Canada.

• 2 months later...