What do you think the odds are that they will require.....

Shippy

14 minutes ago, greykitty said:

DeSantis talks coronavirus vaccine distribution in The Villages (palmbeachpost.com)

This story says 20 residents of the Villages were vaccinated, and also how the first shipments of vaccines were distributed in Florida.  

T

Aren’t seniors living in group settings in 1A ...first to receive along with health providers.  I know NOTHING about the Villages.  Just asking. 

33 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Aren’t seniors living in group settings in 1A ...first to receive along with health providers.  I know NOTHING about the Villages.  Just asking. 

My understanding is that the CDC strongly recommended that all seniors living in congregate housing (such as long term care facilities) be vaccinated in the first phase, 1A, along with HCWs.  I don't believe the Villages is considered congregate housing - I thought it was just a large, age-restricted planned community (albeit with political clout) in Florida.  DeSantis modified the CDC recommendation (as is his right, and responsibility, as governor) to include all seniors, no matter where living, or how healthy, as I understand it.  

I'm a senior, with one co-morbidity, and live in my own condo.  As far as I know, unless my state suddenly stopped following CDC guidelines since yesterday, I'm in 1C. Behind HCW, seniors over 75, designated essential workers, etc.  

Next For COVID-19 Vaccines: Adults 75 And Older, Some Essential Workers : Coronavirus Updates : NPR 

As I mentioned before, IMO it's a tough call for the governors, depending on their states'  demographics, where the population lives, availability of medical care, all that.  I'm not surprised to see some variation, but personally I'm ok with the CDC's recommendations.  I'm fortunate enough to still be able to pretty much shelter in place, unlike a younger, maybe healthier person who is an essential, public facing worker, or employed in food production, e.g.,  every day.

Edited by greykitty

17 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

Hi GMJC,

Are you saying that the people in the Villages are able to get the vaccine now? 

Yes. After the photo op with the gov the hospital was giving shots to over 65's. We live about 8 miles from that hospital but have not heard anything from the health authority or our doctors yet. Hoping for tomorrow to get some answers.

In Texas, those of us in Phase 1b can now get vaccinated (assuming your provider has vaccine available).

[quote]

Once all willing Phase 1A individuals have been vaccinated, Phase 1B recipients might be able to get the vaccine starting as early as December 28 and into January 2021. These include: 

• People 65 years of age and older
  • People 16 years of age and older with at least one chronic medical condition that puts them at increased risk for severe illness from the virus that causes COVID-19, such as but not limited to:
    • Cancer
    • Chronic kidney disease
    • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
    • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathies
    • Solid organ transplantation
    • Obesity and severe obesity (body mass index of 30 kg/m2 or higher)
    • Pregnancy
    • Sickle cell disease
    • Type 2 diabetes mellitus

If you are in Phase 1B, please visit Texas COVID-19 Vaccine Provider Locations to see if and where you might be able to get a vaccine today. Remember, your ability to get a vaccine today or this week will depend on vaccine availability at your provider’s office, clinic or facility. Please call ahead to your provider.[/quote]

BS&W in Round Rock got another allotment of 400 doses this week so I am hoping to get vaccinated soon.

BMI issues aside, including over 65 and all the other categories on the list makes it is a huge percentage of the population.  I can't find it now because it has changed again, but just a week or two ago the CDC guidelines had 4 groups.  The first group, happily too late to change now, was health care workers and congregant care residents, the second group was "essential workers," the third group was over 65 and those with medical conditions, and the fourth group was everyone else.  The graphic published at that time showed the 3rd group was bigger than the 1st, 2nd, and 4th groups combined.

A great bit of news from the UK, the Oxford vaccine is now approved, this is the vaccine that can be stored at 2c and is relatively cheap. UK got enough doses on order to vaccinate the whole population. They will start the vaccination program from Monday coming. So really it’s now just how quick can 60 million people be jabbed twice. Look like us oldies (around 65) will need to wait another 8 weeks or so before we are vaccinated.

https://apple.news/AbXp40qb_SmKYjhlkjdPdIg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

A great bit of news from the UK, the Oxford vaccine is now approved, this is the vaccine that can be stored at 2c and is relatively cheap. UK got enough doses on order to vaccinate the whole population. They will start the vaccination program from Monday coming. So really it’s now just how quick can 60 million people be jabbed twice. Look like us oldies (around 65) will need to wait another 8 weeks or so before we are vaccinated.

https://apple.news/AbXp40qb_SmKYjhlkjdPdIg

Question:  I thought that AstraZeneca/Oxford trial was conducted as a single dose with a resultant efficacy rate lower than the other two approved vaccines.  Recently, I thought I heard that they were now recommending two doses as the case for the other two vaccines.  Have AstraZeneca and Oxford conducted Phase 3 trials of the two dose protocol?  If so, were there any additional side effects versus getting jabbed just once?

thanks,

Marc

Here's an overview of the AZ vaccine testing and the two vs one dose deal.  I suspect the FDA will be carefully reviewing all the data (as they have and should) before US approval.  I'm also trying to follow the collaboration between the AZ folks and use of the Sputnik vaccine.  Certainly the more arrows in the global quiver, the better, yes?

How the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 Vaccine Works - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine requires two doses, given four weeks apart, to prime the immune system to fight off the coronavirus. During the clinical trial of the vaccine, the researchers unwittingly gave some volunteers only half a dose.

Surprisingly, the vaccine combination in which the first dose was only half strength was 90 percent effective at preventing Covid-19 in the clinical trial. In contrast, the combination of two full-dose shots led to just 62 percent efficacy. The researchers speculate that the lower first dose did a better job of mimicking the experience of an infection, promoting a stronger immune response when the second dose was administered.

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Question:  I thought that AstraZeneca/Oxford trial was conducted as a single dose with a resultant efficacy rate lower than the other two approved vaccines.  Recently, I thought I heard that they were now recommending two doses as the case for the other two vaccines.  Have AstraZeneca and Oxford conducted Phase 3 trials of the two dose protocol?  If so, were there any additional side effects versus getting jabbed just once?

thanks,

Marc

Firstly, I’m not of a medical background, so I’m can only comment upon what we are being told. All protocols have now been passed in the UK only. There were two cases during the trial which meant that the recipient went back to hospital both had caught covid, the first was two days after the injection so it’s been concluded that they had caught it prior to the injection, the second also caught covid but 10 days after the injection, this they believe that they already had the virus but it’s still being investigated. I believe there are some very minor side affects, but nothing serious, I think headaches, sore arm is the most common.

It is 2 dose system of jabs, the first after 21 days will stop you becoming seriously ill, the second is for ultimate protection, but at the moment they do not know if it will stop the patient still being able to transmit the virus, this will be known in a couple of months. Oh the UK medical committee have altered the requirement for the space between the jabs, this has increased to 12 weeks, which they are stating mean that more people can injected and partially protected prior to the need for the follow up injection, this is hoped to stop the hospital becoming overpowered. Children under 16 will not vaccinated in the UK.

Hope that answer your question 

Sorry tried to add this to the above quote, but I couldn’t work out to edit it. Hopefully explain the position a bit better than I can

AstraZenica site suggesting they will supply up to 3 billion doses globally next year.

30 December 2020 07:00 GMT

Working with the UK government, first vaccinations to begin early in the New Year

Regulatory interactions continue around the world for next approvals

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for emergency supply in the UK, with the first doses being released today so that vaccinations may begin early in the New Year.

The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has provided authorisation for emergency supply of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, formerly AZD1222, for the active immunisation of individuals 18 years or older. The authorisation recommends  two doses administered with an interval of between four and 12 weeks. This regimen was shown in clinical trials to be safe and effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19, with no severe cases and no hospitalisations more than 14 days after the second dose.

AstraZeneca is working with Public Health England and National Health Service England to support the deployment and roll out of the vaccine in the UK, in line with the MHRA and the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation dosing recommendation. The Company aims to supply millions of doses in the first quarter as part of an agreement with the government to supply up to 100 million doses in total.

Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer, said: “Today is an important day for millions of people in the UK who will get access to this new vaccine. It has been shown to be effective, well-tolerated, simple to administer and is supplied by AstraZeneca at no profit. We would like to thank our many colleagues at AstraZeneca, Oxford University, the UK government and the tens of thousands of clinical trial participants.”

Matt Hancock, UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, said: “This is a moment to celebrate British innovation - not only are we responsible for discovering the first treatment to reduce mortality for Covid-19, this vaccine will be made available to some of the poorest regions of the world at a low cost, helping protect countless people from this awful disease. It is a tribute to the incredible UK scientists at Oxford University and AstraZeneca whose breakthrough will help to save lives around the world. I want to thank every single person who has been part of this British success story. While it is a time to be hopeful, it is so vital everyone continues to play their part to drive down infections.”

Professor Andrew Pollard, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group and Chief Investigator of the Oxford Vaccine Trial, said: “The regulator’s assessment that this is a safe and effective vaccine is a landmark moment, and an endorsement of the huge effort from a devoted international team of researchers and our dedicated trial participants. Though this is just the beginning, we will start to get ahead of the pandemic, protect health and economies when the vulnerable are vaccinated everywhere, as many as possible as soon possible.”

Additional safety and efficacy data for the vaccine will continue to accumulate from ongoing clinical trials. AstraZeneca continues to work with regulatory authorities around the world to support their ongoing rolling reviews for emergency supply or conditional marketing authorisation during the health crisis. AstraZeneca is also seeking Emergency Use Listing from the World Health Organization for an accelerated pathway to vaccine availability in low- and middle-income countries.

AstraZeneca is working with its global partners to continue building manufacturing capacity of up to three billion doses of the vaccine globally in 2021 on a rolling basis, pending regulatory approvals. The vaccine can be stored, transported and handled at normal refrigerated conditions (two-eight degrees Celsius/ 36-46 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least six months and administered within existing healthcare settings.

Links to the UK Government documents for information:

Let us hope these vaccines, and others, get rolled out worldwide as quickly & efficiently as possible ........ without politics, nationalism or economics getting in the way of defeating this crippling pandemic.

We want to go travelling and cruising again 🤞

• Like 4