Shocking Surprise - HAL drastically modifies Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs) - Beware when rebooking!

boze9999

We ALWAYS buy Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs) and continually use them for all future cruises. We have printed invoices showing the benefits of the FCDs purchased. What a SHOCK it was when we booked/rebooked a new cruise in the future only to find out HAL only gave us their ridiculously new/now and reduced rates they NOW offer vs what we purchased on many cruises past! BEWARE and advocate for what you purchased not what they want to offer NOW.

3 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

We ALWAYS buy Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs) and continually use them for all future cruises. We have printed invoices showing the benefits of the FCDs purchased. What a SHOCK it was when we booked/rebooked a new cruise in the future only to find out HAL only gave us their ridiculously new/now and reduced rates they NOW offer vs what we purchased on many cruises past! BEWARE and advocate for what you purchased not what they want to offer NOW.

What was the offer?  I’m confused.   

The FCD's we have always purchased provide for the following OBC benefits (basically HAL is now cutting them all in half!):

3-10 days $50

11-21 days $100

21-50 days $150

51+ days $200

Beware and advocate for getting the benefits for those FCD's you purchased. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Probably the first of many changes to everything monetary.

I do understand, but when you pre-purchase something, it does need to be honored. I have absolutely no problems with changes moving forward. 

Edited by boze9999
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

I do understand, but when you pre-purchase something, it does need to be honored. I have absolutely no problems with changes moving forward. 

I understand now, yikes.  I just went & checked our two reservations that are 27 days & 35 days.  They honoured ours at the old OBC as they were bought prior to 2020.  The new ones are not much of an incentive at all.  

HAL's new FCD policy went into effect in mid-January 2020. Are you saying that FCDs purchased onboard prior to January 2020 (with the better shipboard credit benefits) are being honored using the new policy?  My understanding (as with canadianbear) is that the FCDs purchased under the old policy are honored with the old benefits. The new FCDs purchased under the new policy are honored with the new (lower) benefits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

In my experience generally, everything monetary, like this, has the "subject to change" disclaimer attached.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I understand now, yikes.  I just went & checked our two reservations that are 27 days & 35 days.  They honoured ours at the old OBC as they were bought prior to 2020.  The new ones are not much of an incentive at all.  

So true about any future benefits. My frustration is with all our cancelled cruises. We always used FCDs. Just a heads up to ensure when you rebook you get the benefit of your originally purchased FCD. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

In my experience generally, everything monetary, like this, has the "subject to change" disclaimer attached.

In this case, no. If you check your printed copies, there is no....subject to change clause. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

HAL's new FCD policy went into effect in mid-January 2020. Are you saying that FCDs purchased onboard prior to January 2020 (with the better shipboard credit benefits) are being honored using the new policy?  My understanding (as with canadianbear) is that the FCDs purchased under the old policy are honored with the old benefits. The new FCDs purchased under the new policy are honored with the new (lower) benefits.

Beware the computers! As we rebook our numerous cancelled cruises, the computers are defaulting to the "new" formula. Just a heads up to be in charge of your own accounts.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boze9999 said:

The FCD's we have always purchased provide for the following OBC benefits (basically HAL is now cutting them all in half!):

3-10 days $50

11-21 days $100

21-50 days $150

51+ days $200

Beware and advocate for getting the benefits for those FCD's you purchased. 

10 hours ago, boze9999 said:

466906065_ScreenShot2020-12-09at7_37_25PM.thumb.png.441297c40189c09fcefe09c4d489d7ad.png

Back in 2014 (obviously, these would have been used or expired/refunded by now), the OBC for FCDs was different still, so this is not so shocking.  Just be aware of whatever conditions applied when you bought them and make sure they match.

See: 2014 FCD Program PDF.

As mentioned by @Mandalay1903 the benefits of FCD's changed in January 2020.  If you purchased new FCD's since that date then you are stuck with the new benefits.  But, if you were issued replacement FCD's for cancelled cruises and you had purchased the FCD's prior to the 'new issue' date, then I would suggest a call to HAL to 'point out the error of their ways' would not be amiss.

Nothing ventured, no extra OBC gained.  Pick up the phone and explain.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

...if you were issued replacement FCD's for cancelled cruises...

As far as I can tell from HAL, any FCDs you used to book a voyage are gone if it's cancelled by them (it's rolled into the base fare and included in the 125% future cruise credit).

We had two trips for this and next summer cancelled (total FCD was $1200 (4x$300)), and had to pony up $1750 for another equivalent-length voyage in '22 (and this amount was about three times as much as we'd have put up had we used FCDs).

We keep giving them money, and they keep taking it...

Grump grump grump

• Like 1