If a vaccine is mandated in order to cruise will you get one?

molly361

If a vaccine is mandated in order for you to cruise will you get one?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. If a vaccine is mandated in order for you to cruise will you get one?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

47 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm a senior but honestly don't have an issue front line workers getting the vaccine before me.  I know there are exceptions, but I think most high risk people can either have groceries delivered, pick them up w/o going inside, or have someone shop for them.  I'm not sure what the final plan will be - I would hope we will know soon.

There is always going to be someone who is going to want to push to the front of the line.  I totally agree with those who are front line workers getting the vaccine early.  I know Massachusetts wants to include school teachers in an early group, which makes sense.  I also know that some of the nursing staff in the assisted living facility my relative lives in do not want the vaccine early, they want to wait and see how people tolerate it.  Residents are also not required to get it, though my relative will be getting it.  They don't have their date yet, one of their sister facilities does, but they expect to have people vaccinated before the end of the year.

I agree that we all just need to wait for the final plan and wait our turn.  

• Like 1

I love to travel and especially love to cruise but this is not why I will be getting the vaccine. I'm getting it because I don't like feeling like I could get covid everywhere I go. I'd rather have the peace of mind like I had prior pandemic. I also think Airlines, Cruise lines, stadiums, movie theaters, concert venues, public transit etc will require it eventually. I sure hope this mRNA technology can lead to new vaccines for other viruses and more quickly end future viral outbreaks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Like the others, I'll get it but not because of cruising.  Cruising is a just side benefit.  I think the poll is showing that the fears that there will be widespread resistance to getting the vaccine are unfounded.

What if you already have a third eye and a slightly translucent glow to your skin already?

There's an older thread basically asking the same and the response rate was over 70% for yes.  The % on the news weirdly seems to be going up now that a vaccine is on the horizon.  I don't buy that it was ever really that low.  I think it was typical polling bias.   I know almost no one that doesn't plan to get it and I doubt the fact it's almost approved that people are suddenly agreeing.  I think those that were always against it still are because of unfounded fear and really crazy rumors and they won't suddenly believe the Government lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

There's an older thread basically asking the same and the response rate was over 70% for yes.  The % on the news weirdly seems to be going up now that a vaccine is on the horizon.  I don't buy that it was ever really that low.  I think it was typical polling bias.   I know almost no one that doesn't plan to get it and I doubt the fact it's almost approved that people are suddenly agreeing.  I think those that were always against it still are because of unfounded fear and really crazy rumors and they won't suddenly believe the Government lol.

Oh I still have a majority of family members and a few friends who will not get the vaccine. Tired of discussing it with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

crazy rumors and they won't suddenly believe the Government lol.

Most in my family will not get the vaccine which is really mind boggling to me because they believed all the dis-proven crazy conspiracies but not the legitimate scientists and doctors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

I will.  I was planning on getting a vaccine regardless.  By the time I qualify there will be a lot of data on its safety and effectiveness.

On a side note, My dad passed away recently and when packing and selling his house I found my old vaccination book that had all of the documentation of what childhood illnesses I had and vaccinations.  It turns out I never had the mumps or  mumps vaccine as it was not developed in the 60/70's as part of the MMR.  It is recommended for international travel, so I eventually will get one of those as well.  

Very common for kids to have mumps before the vaccine.  I did as a child in the 60's as most everyone I know did so no need for the vaccine.  I remember having them. I was about 5. Other than swollen glands, I remember not feeling bad at all.  Mumps can be serious for adults, but not deadly, but kids rarely have complications.  It's not something you really hear about anymore.  Also, FYI, mumps cause no symptoms in 1/3 of people who have them so it's possible you could have and not known it. 

Edited by BND

2 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Most in my family will not get the vaccine which is really mind boggling to me because they believed all the dis-proven crazy conspiracies but not the legitimate scientists and doctors.

I grew up with a father who has a PhD in chemistry and science was just part of our lives.  He's 83 and had a heart valve replaced last year but he is getting the vaccine. He has studied it and understands the development and testing completely and he's good with it.    I don't know anyone in my family (extended also) who doesn't plan to.  While the Government has issues and I'm not thrilled with some things, I don't think they're out to chip us lol.  Even though my DH and I and my parents are conservatives, we have no issue with the vaccine or how it was developed.  So many haven't actually researched how it was developed or the long term research that was used.  I just hope that don't get the vaccine are willing to live with the consequences and impact on their lives for quite a while.

• Like 2

As soon as the vaccine is available, I will be making my appointment.  

History shows that any major adverse effects of any vaccine usually show up within the first 45 days. By the time my number comes up in the spring there will well be millions already vaccinated and past the 45 days, so I will feel 100% comfortable taking it.

For me it is a moot question. Being vaccinated is the only way I will step on a ship.

I will wear a mask whether they are required or not for at least the next year.

The excursion thing is highly dependent on the itinerary. We called our Oasis cruise next summer "the cruise to nowhere" long before Covid.  I can happily stay on the ship in Port Canaveral since we have been there many, many times and it is only half a day. Coco Cay is already part of their bubble and Nassau is another one we were already planning on staying on board.  If it was a European cruise, I would think differently. Although on our last European cruise we only did RCL tours except for in Naples and we were fine with the selection and prices.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mek said:

Yes I will, but it has nothing to do with cruising.  I want my everyday life to return to normal - so many things that are far more important to me than cruising that I either can't do now or are severely limited.

Cruising is nice but unless it returns to what it was pre-covid, I'm not interested. 

I won't be rushing out to sail even after I get the shot(s.)

Absolutely agree!  I read the vaccines are getting approved, and when SW opened up their schedule yesterday into August, I called up my son (with les bebes, 2 and 4) and told him we are coming in July.  This is assuming we are both vaccinated twice and test negative before going.  Then, I bought our tickets with points.  Something to look forward to after 6 cruises being cancelled.  Video calls are great, but I want to kiss their darling cheeks!!!

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Absolutely agree!  I read the vaccines are getting approved, and when SW opened up their schedule yesterday into August, I called up my son (with les bebes, 2 and 4) and told him we are coming in July.  This is assuming we are both vaccinated twice and test negative before going.  Then, I bought our tickets with points.  Something to look forward to after 6 cruises being cancelled.  Video calls are great, but I want to kiss their darling cheeks!!!

👍 While I am still very skeptical our August cruise will sail, mainly because it is NY/NJ and I can't see the governors there allowing 10,000 (embark and debark) people mingling about every week, the vaccine finally being rolled out gives me a glimmer of hope. I also went ahead and booked our airfare to LGA on Southwest yesterday.  Might as well get in on the early price since it is Southwest and can cancel.  If I have to cancel, I will just use the credits for our cruises in 2022.

3 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

ME TOO! They have this belief that it won't be them that dies from Covid. I'm pretty sure everyone felt the same way before taking their last breath.

99.73% of the people who got the virus probably agree with them.

• Like 3

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/fda-authorizes-1st-covid-19-vaccine-united-states/story?id=74665712&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

It will be awhile before I can get the vaccine (I believe) but I am thrilled for all the medical and other front-line workers, as well as the elderly. 🙂

Edited by sushitex

Will be getting the vaccine as soon as I can, but not just because I want to cruise. The sooner the majority of us get vaccinated, the sooner we can get back to some semblance of normal. I figure if the bazillion Anthrax and Smallpox shots I've had haven't caused any problems, this one will be just fine. 😆

• Like 2

Looking at the FDA recommendations it is different to the UK ones.

WHAT SHOULD YOU MENTION TO YOUR VACCINATION PROVIDER BEFORE YOU GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?

Tell the vaccination provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:

• have any allergies

• have a fever

• have a bleeding disorder or are on a blood thinner

• are immunocompromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system

• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant

• are breastfeeding

• have received another COVID-19 vaccine

WHO SHOULD GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?

FDA has authorized the emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine in individuals 16 years of age and older.

WHO SHOULD NOT GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?

You should not get the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine if you:

• had a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of this vaccine

• had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine

It looks like North America are going to be the phase IV (marketing trial) for most of the rest of the world this is not having a go at North America but pointing out that they will be testing the vaccine on previously untested groups. And without any sarcasm and with genuine feeling good luck to them.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download

Edited by nomad098
Grammar

On 12/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, molly361 said:

In case we don't have enough vaccine threads thought I would add one.  I think there was one a while back but want to get updated opinions  I know there is already a thread asking who would get vaccinated but a poll will give a better consensus of opinions😇

I will get one - but I am way down the totem pole.  Chances are I’ll catch Covid before I get it!  

Being in the royal air force and early 40s i am near the bottom of the list to get it in the uk. I expect untill its rolled out to the vast majority of people maybe over 60% initially, it may be required to have a vaccine before travel and only relax that requirement when more of the vaccine is rolled out.

Either way seeing what it has done to people i will get it and so will my family. Id rather get it knowing i am keeping others safe. However i respect everyones choices.

• Like 1

I will be getting the vaccine when I'm able but it will be awhile as I don't have any risk factors, not a front line worker, or an essential worker.

If I were to get COVID I most likely would be okay. Still I'll get the vaccine because:

1. It will reduce my risk as slight as it may be.

2. I want things to get back to normal like everyone.

3. THE MOST IMPORTANT! I want to protect those at risk and those who can't get the vaccine. I feel it is my responsibility as a person to do what I can to protect my fellow humans.

I have a partner who has several high risk factors and a son who is a cancer survivor so I will do anything to protect them and anyone else at risk. To do anything less would be selfish on my part.

Edited by Ski-Lady
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1